2 - Spring 2018; Paris, France

Our Spring of What Ifs
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

MARCH 2018

 

PARIS, FRANCE

 

 

 

 

CHARLES DE GAULLE AIRPORT

 

 

 

 

 

 

“♪Don't waste your time on me 
You're already the voice inside my head (I miss you, I miss you)..♫”

 

 

 

 

 

I took off my sunglasses upon exiting the Arrival area, my right hand pulling the handle of my sole luggage bag for this trip in a drag. I feel tired... damn... I think even Blink 182 is already tired from singing non-stop…

 

Damn it. I need coffee.

 

Pulling out my earphones I took a deep breath and scanned the whole area familiarizing myself once again.

 

Still a sea of people. A vast sea of muggles who are busy with their own agendas, not caring about the people around them only thinking about their own self.

 

I’ve been to Paris once or twice a year if needed but still, the whole place didn’t change. Its still the same everytime I go back.

 

And its not even a leisure trip. Always a working trip that I do not even have time to spare and explore the place. I’ll be exhausted to go out and most of the time I only stay inside my suite after meetings, still working and communicating with important people in the field. Maybe the farthest I have reached is a cafe beside the hotel where I stay. That’s it and nothing else.  

 

Almost 11 hours of flight time from Christchurch International Airport at New Zealand to Changi Airport at Singapore. Had a six and a half hour lay over in Singapore before I boarded the thirteen hour flight to the City of Lights Paris, France.

 

Tell me, isn’t it great?

 

Hahaha…

 

So great.

 

Airplane food?

 

It was quite nice.

 

Coffee?

 

. I really need a decent coffee.

 

I momentarily stopped on my slow stride taking a peek at my wrist watch. Its already 07:40 in the morning Paris Time and I think my mind will shut down in the next hour. I did slept in my flight from New Zealand to Singapore, but after the 2 hours of sleep while in our lay over... I never slept again.

 

Instead of sleeping, I opened my laptop and took out all my notes reviewing it. The data collected by our team that I will present to the Climate Change Committee later in the evening. I do not know how long our meeting will run everyday... I hope not that long although for sure it will be. Around 12 to 14 hour tops, 8 hours is quite a miracle.

 

 

Well finding ways to save the land from sinking to the bottom of the ocean is a hard job. Everyday it gets worse and everyday the temperature is rising while the ice is melting. Climate change is causing the global sea level to rise affecting places everywhere in the world. Just look at Venice!

 

Sigh…

 

They will ask me again for sure about my decision about Davos 2019…

 

If I will accept the offer to join them in Davos next year then I better bow out and let others take over the Winter schedule. Will be hard to fly out… I don’t want to risk lives.

  

After the week-long meeting I will have to catch a flight back to New Zealand then back to our research facility in the Antarctic Region to continue my job.

 

You enjoy your job Amber…

 

I enjoy this... this is my dream...

 

You also has that one dream...

 

And you let it slip away...

 

Or rather...

 

You let HER slip away...

 

HER.

 

Always Her.

 

A dream that seems so distant now. So distant yet I chose it to be like that.

 

Ha. Here you go again Amber Liu.

 

Enough of that--

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter