22 - Jessica’s Agony

Our Spring of What Ifs
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

CHAPTER 22

 

 

 

 

DR. LIU’S POV

 

 

Soojung had a last minute schedule in Jeju Island this weekend, some documentary filming that was arranged by her agency last minute. She left yesterday morning with Manager Hojoon who picked her up together with her make up artist and one assistant.

 

Even though I want her all by myself this weekend, of course work is still important. She promised me that she will be home once she finishes filming, then we can go have a quiet vacation, just the two of us for the rest of the week.

 

My weekend went on like the usual, nothing interesting happened. I mean, I did the regular things I do every weekend like working out, running, riding my boat at early morning… with the kids hehe… Soojung will definitely scold me the moment she finds out Taco and Pepper joined me in rowing. They were good boys sitting quietly in front, enjoying the fresh early morning air while I row the boat at Han River. They know how to swim too! Hehehe. I let them swim for a while beside my boat then called them two to get back immediately. I don’t want their mom to kill me if something happens to both of them.  

 

Soojung won’t find out unless the kids speaks out-- I mean ‘bark’ out.

 

I also visited the foundation and helped for a few hours, also dropping some donations coming from my friends overseas. After that, I mostly stayed at home with the kids checking my e-mails and answering them, had a videocall meeting with a US Congresswoman who asked for a favor about making a report about the effects of coal mining in a community. We agreed to meet personally soon, I have to fly to Washington to meet her and stay for a few days. I told her I will check my teaching schedule first and of course Soojung’s too.

 

Then last but not the least, I called my parents in America because I miss them so much. Soojung and I will be flying there by December, first stop in San Francisco to visit their hometown, then to Los Angeles to celebrate Christmas with my parents, then to New York to celebrate New Year with her family. Mom said she is very excited to see Soojung again after many years, Dad was joking that Mom had been telling her friends that I’m getting married soon. I can only laugh when my Mom asked me the inevitable question.

 

 

“WHEN ARE YOU GETTING MARRIED 宝贝 (baobei)?”

 

“妈 (Ma), give me more time.秀晶 (Xiùjīng) and I just got back together last Spring…”

 

“The more you have to marry her right away! You’re not getting any younger 宝贝 (baobei)!”

 

“妈妈 (Mama)!”

 

“I want to take care of your baby while I’m still young and able. Did you and 秀晶 (Xiùjīng) already talked about having babies? Who will carry the baby? Are you going to carry the babies?! 宝贝 (baobei)! I want to see you pregnant!”

 

“妈 (Ma), one question at a time please--”

 

“If your baby with 秀晶 (Xiùjīng) is a girl, she will be very beautiful!”

 

“Of course 妈 (Ma), your宝贝 (baobei) [baby] is beautiful~…”

 

“不,秀晶更漂亮!(Bù, shuǐjīng gèng měilì!) [No, Soo-jung is more pretty!]”

 

“你真的是我妈妈吗!? (Nǐ zhēn de shì wǒ māmā ma!?) [Are you really my mom!?]”

 

“Your奶奶 (Nǎinai) [Grandma] said bring秀晶 (Xiùjīng) to her, she has a present for your未婚妻 (Wèihūnqī) [fianceé.”

 

“Only for秀晶 (Xiùjīng)??? How about me?!”

 

“You too rich now.”

 

“秀晶 (Xiùjīng) is rich too! Why is she getting a present but I don’t?!”

 

“Marry秀晶 (Xiùjīng) and have baby then奶奶 (Nǎinai) will give your present!”

 

 

 

As if it’s so easy to get married! And have a baby too!

 

Sure, I have a girlfriend that I promised to marry once she’s ready. That’s the thing, I want her to be ready. I don’t want to pressure her in marrying me just because we love each other. We want to be ready emotionally, mentally, and physically. And when that day comes…

 

I will give her the wedding of her dreams. Whatever she wants, wherever she wants, no matter how much it costs. I will give it to her, a wedding fit for a Goddess like Soojung.

 

And I do agree with Mom, our future baby girl will be very beautiful because her Moms are beautiful~

 

But not now!

 

 

 

 

Night time came and I was busy cooking dinner in the kitchen when there was a buzz at the door. Taco and Pepper who was lounging on the couch immediately went down, their tails wagging while looking at me and at the door.

 

Strange…

 

I wonder who is it. Impossible that it’s Jessica…

 

From what I know she flew to Hong Kong yesterday to attend to her business. The only person I expect tonight is Soojung coming home from her Jeju filming. She Facetimed earlier in the afternoon saying she’s flying out in an hour, killing me with her cuteness. Telling me in an adorable way that she misses me and the kids so much, that she wants Steak and Pasta for dinner, and that she can’t wait to be home.  

 

The kids came running to the door, so eager to see the person behind it. There are only four persons that I guess is out there now patiently waiting for me to open it. Either Soojung who wants to surprise me or her sister Jessica and their parents. I’ve notice the behavior of the kids the past few months whenever the Jungs are arriving. Call it dog instinct for them, they can identify people they know by their distinct smell. When it’s Soojung or me, they will be barking and jumping like crazy. But when it’s the Jungs, they don’t bark but they jump like crazy, too excited to meet the elders.

 

The kids are not barking so it could only mean…

 

“Oh… Jessica?” her face showed on the iPad screen and it doesn’t look good at all. The security alarm system of Soojung’s unit can be accessed through an App that’s why just one click on the screen I can see the person outside. The images are being feed by the two small cameras discreetly installed, one at the ceiling showing the full body from above and one at the door in eye level.

 

I quickly made my way to the door hearing the buzz again. I don’t know why but I sense something odd about it. The kids were already at the foyer scratching the door and sniffing under it.

 

The anxious face of Jessica welcomed me when I opened the door, she was biting her lips fidgeting on her spot. She looked at me and smiled, her smile not even reaching her eyes. “Jess, are you okay? Is there a problem?” I asked. She looks so troubled… I wonder what happened? She’s not in her y mode today huh…

 

“Hey… Amber…”

 

I stepped out of the unit, looking at her left and right checking if there is someone bothering her in the hallway. Have to be sure at all times. Cleared.

 

“Are you okay? You look troubled…. come in! Soojung will be home soon from her trip…” I guided her to go inside first before I followed after closing the door. The kids welcomed her with their playfulness, jumping on her feet getting her attention. She took both of them in her arms, giving each a kiss on their heads that the puppies reciprocated with on her face.

 

“I’m sorry for barging in… I thought Soojung is already here…” her voice sounded a little fragile. I wonder what happened. She sat on the living room couch still carrying the two puppies on her lap, a deep sigh escaping her lips.

 

“Silly. This is your sister’s unit, you can barge in anytime.” I told her while getting a bottle of sparkling water on the fridge. “Water or wine?” I asked.

 

“Water, please. T-thank you Amber…” Okay that’s really strange. Normally she will throw back a playful insult like ‘Thanks whippo’ or ‘Hurry up Doc!’. Now she called me Amber. There is really something wrong with her.

 

I came back to the living room and placed on top of the coffee table the glass and bottle that I already unscrewed. I poured the water on the glass urging her to drink. “Have some water first, I’m preparing Steak and Pasta for dinner as requested by Soojung. Eat with us, okay?”

 

“O-okay.” It was all she said before turning silent. I stood across her studying her actions, what I’m seeing alarming me.

 

Her face looks pale, she didn’t put make-up that’s why there are visible dark bags under her eyes. Her eyes showed tiredness… probably because of her flight? But something feels strange. Really strange. There is something about her aura, like a dark cloud is hanging over her head.

 

She’s wearing a white printed hoodie, one size bigger on her small frame and a pair of fitted blue jeans. Jessica seems so troubled, like she i

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter