The Lies of Jessica Jung

Our Spring of What Ifs
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

CHAPTER 9

 

 

SOOJUNG’S POV

 

 

After our impromptu McDonald’s date, Amber and I came back to the hotel after midnight. Its better to return late than face Jessica’s wrath over me leaving her in that mess with her Pet.

 

Ugh. Sorry but I have to.

 

Manager oppa was at the hotel lobby waiting for me. I texted him in advance about what happened in the restaurant and asked him to cover up for me when my sister calls him. I didn’t tell who I am with, I only said I was having a late night snack with a very special friend I met in Paris. He said “You better explain to me later what happened Soojung! Jessica-ssi will call me soon and I need to use an alibi if she asks me where are you!” hehehe… such a good Manager oppa. (^__^)

 

The moment Amber and I stepped inside the lobby hand in hand and me grinning like a kid holding a McDonald’s paper bag, Hojoon oppa’s small eyes were bulging. He was a bit surprised when he saw Amber… but not in a bad way. (I hope.)

 

Why?

 

 

 

 

 

Here’s a little flashback.

 

 

 

He and Amber already met 5 years ago. Well… more of oppa found out the real reason why I extended my ‘short vacation’ in Boston that time. I had no other choice but to admit that I’m secretly dating a private person and asked him to keep it a secret to our company and most importantly to my sister.

 

What I didn’t give out was Amber’s gender. Not because I was ashamed, but because too much information will ruin everything. Plus he didn’t ask, he expected its a guy since he thought I don’t swing the opposite way.

 

Hojoon oppa is not just my Manager, I also look up to him as an older brother. My parents trust him so much that’s why he got mad at me for not telling him the truth. He even gave me a lecture on how to be discreet in terms of dating and how to use protection to prevent early pregnancy. I remember telling him back then that we (Amber and I) don’t need to use protection because nothing will happen. But he still insisted, even giving me (him being so embarrassed and shy) a box of pills to prevent pregnancy (the same pills his then girlfriend and now wife uses). I swear to God I wanna die on the spot out of embarrassment!

 

He said he does not support it, but doesn’t mean he will slack off in his work. Hojoon oppa did everything in his power to prevent any rumors from coming out, even fixing my schedules when I ask him to. I know it was hard work and I felt guilty too but he said, “If that person makes you happy and inspired to work hard, then who am I to stop you two? Just remember to be safe so that no rumors will come out.”

 

It was August of 2013 when Amber accompanied me back to Korea. The first time Hojoon oppa and Amber met.

 

My group and I attended Kcon LA and performed in front of thousands of Kpop fans. Amber was also in Los Angeles spending her Summer vacation with her family . She had the chance to watch our performance amidst my protest because I feel shy. I told her not to watch but she still came with some friends who she said are “so into K-pop I don’t even know why!”

 

My members flew back to Korea on schedule while I extended for another 3 days. Those 3 days were spent very well. She got to introduce me to her Mom and Dad, her older sister Jackie who was really cool we hit it off immediately. We went surfing in Malibu and stayed in their summer house overlooking the beach. I also met her other friends (I didn’t know she was good friends with the founder of Soshified) and her 2 best friends. They were cool, funny and really nice.

 

So yeah, I came back to Korea with Amber in tow. No one knew that I will be arriving that day, everyone thought I extended my stay in LA because of some scenes I will shoot for the new drama where I was chosen as one of the second leads. The truth was, I didn’t have any scene to shoot.

 

Hoojoon oppa came to the airport to pick me up, met us in the Arrival Area looking so surprised when he saw Amber beside me. Hehe… I didn’t inform him Amber came home with me.

 

I finally had the chance to introduce her to him. Hojoon oppa was a little taken aback when he found out its a girlfriend and not a boyfriend that I had in tow that day coming back from my extended vacation in LA. He just shook hands with Amber, staring at my girlfriend from head to toe, then walked ahead taking the luggage trolley and busied himself throwing the luggage in the van. When he asked me where to drop my “friend”, I told him in our family house. His expression was like so scandalous! Hahaha! Well… Korean men. What to expect.

 

When I informed him that Mom and Dad is expecting us, he zipped his mouth and stayed quiet the whole ride with occasional deep sighs. I know he was not happy about it, I felt a little sad. But Amber assured me that everything will be okay in time. That Hojoon oppa wasn’t ready so we should give him time to adjust. Even giving me a promise that she will do everything on her power to get Hojoon oppa’s approval in our relationship. I believed her because I knew she will keep her promise.

 

At first, oppa was not accepting of my relationship with Amber saying she will bring doom to my blossoming idol career. Not just for me but also for my group. Saying if it was a normal boy-girl relationship then it will be easy for him to accept it, even defend me from every malicious people out there.

 

For him, being in a homoual relationship will ruin years of hard work. All the sacrifices my group mates and I did will be gone in a split second the moment news about my secret relationship comes out. I understand his reason so I did as much as I can do by hiding it.

 

Even though deep inside me… there was this desire to show the world the person I love. The desire to show how proud I am that an intellect like Amber Liu chose a worthless idol like Krystal Jung.

 

To be honest… if you take away the glitz and glamour of my celebrity life, there is actually nothing I can be proud of. My university studies, even though in a prestigious Korean university, is in hiatus. I haven’t finish my degree until now because I chose to focus on my career instead of actually ending it and graduating. My sister said I should halt my studies and put my career a top priority because opportunities doesn’t come knocking at all times.

 

Prestige, popularity, luxury, connections. That is what’s important in the world we live in according to her.

 

“You are born to be a big star, Soojung. You don’t wait for opportunity to knock, you open that door before it knocks. Grab it and own it. Love is just a feeling, it will go away.”

 

Heartbroken and depressed, I followed her words like an obedient little sister does. Well except the “Love is just a feeling…” thing.     

 

Because obviously, it didn’t go away.

 

Anyway, so yeah eventually like magic, Amber and Manager oppa became best buds. I don’t know what Amber injected to oppa or what magic she used, the only thing I knew was they spent the whole day together (more of I asked oppa to look after Amber while I shoot my drama scenes). When they came back, Manager oppa and Amber were already doing the high-five smiling from ear to ear.

 

 

 

 

Like what I said, Manager oppa and Amber already knew each other. Amber bowed at him, a Korean thing I taught her back then. Manager oppa was looking at me and Amber back and forth asking for an explanation. I told him we met each other yesterday because she is staying in the same hotel. He nodded without a word but I know deep inside Manager oppa is already thinking of what to say. He motioned for us to follow him at the outdoor lounge, obviously wanting to have a word with us.

 

Always the gentlewoman that she is, Amber pulled the chair for me (I may be an independent woman but I still want to be treated special) to sit. After that she sat on my left while Manager oppa sat opposite us with an amused look on his face.

 

He was just looking at me and Amber, still silent. I can feel how clammy my hands has become due to nervousness. My hands fidgeting under the table, my palm I continuously rub slowly on my lap. Biting my lips nervously that it will bleed if I keep on doing it. Too nervous because I don’t know what Manager oppa will say. Will oppa get mad and scold me for being so irresponsible and careless again?

 

A few minutes more of silence and I can’t take it anymore. The silence is deafening me! I can hear the loud beating of my heart!

 

I was going to speak when Amber’s hand covered mine, squeezing it gently then spoke in English with a friendly tone.

 

“Mister Lee, I apologize for the stress we have brought to you tonight.”

 

I was biting my lower lip waiting for Manager oppa’s response. Oppa understands English perfectly so I know he got what Amber said. He replied with a nod while looking at Amber straight, his eyes slowly narrowing like he wants to say something but then changed his mind and shook his head.  

 

Feeling the guilt inside me, I finally found my voice. “Oppa…”

 

“This… thing…” he pointed at me and Amber in a calm voice but in Korean. “… so what are we going to do with this… this… thing… between you two? I mean what should I tell the Press if someone manages to click their camera and accidentally captures you two all around Paris--”

 

“Correction, just in McDonald’s.” I said shrugging my shoulders. I heard a low chuckle from this cutie pie beside me who was squeezing my hand again on my lap, the nervousness I felt a few minutes ago already gone and was replaced with lightheartedness.

 

Oh God… I can stare at Amber all day and night, I won’t even get tired at all…

 

As long as she won’t tire me out…

 

But yeah… what are we going to do with this thing?

 

“Mister Lee, don’t worry. I assure you no one saw Soojung nor took a photo of us. She was safe the whole duration we were together earlier.” Amber said in a gentle tone after making sure our hands are tightly interlocked and brought it on the table for Manager oppa to see. Hehehe… hehehe… hehehe… I don’t know what to say~

 

I felt my cheeks burning when Manager oppa stared at our intertwined hands, his brows raising but slowly nodded his head. “I deserve a lengthy explanation from both of you… but it can wait until tomorrow. Its already late so better rest.” he pointed at me narrowing his eyes feigning annoyance. “Yah! Your sister made my ears bleed from all her screams! I was enjoying a good sleep when she called my phone non-stop… aissshhh…”

 

“I’m sorry oppa~…” I made a peace sign with my free hand grinning at him. Oh gosh Jess! Why do you even have to scream at Manager oppa! “Long story short, I left her in the restaurant with Tyler and his friend because they were already making a scene. Its a very embarrassing and scandal worthy situation that’s why instead of staying there, I sneaked out…” biting my lips, I turned to Amber and smiled before looking back at oppa “Well… Amber kind of sneaked me out. She was there having dinner with her friends…?”

 

Oppa turned to Amber asking for confirmation and God he looks like my Dad whenever he wants an answer. Very intimidating look, arms crossed, eyebrows raised with a hint of authority. I should really call him Appa instead of Oppa tsk tsk tsk.

 

Amber and I looked at each other, the gentleness in her eyes and that small smile warming my heart again. Damn. I’m still inlove with this after all these years…

 

She broke her gaze and turned to oppa then replied. “Its true, I was there in the restaurant with my friends. After our meeting we went straight there and yeah… I found out Soojung and her sister was just a table away. Then their friend approached my friend Leo and tried to engage in a conversation, Leo was seriously clueless who the guy is that’s why his bodyguards stopped him.” looks like Hojoon oppa won’t accept any explanations… better make a distraction…

 

“Oppa, she’s talking about Leonardo Di Caprio.” I whispered audibly while wriggling my eyebrows at Hojoon oppa letting the information sink in.

 

“Leo who?”

 

“Duh! Leo!”

 

“Who’s Leo?” goodness!

 

“Amber’s friend! Leo! The guy who died in Titanic!” HAHAHA!!! Manager oppa looks so clueless my goodness! I thought he likes Leo!?

 

He was staring at Amber emotionless for a minute before he broke into an expression of disbelief. “EH?! AS IN JACK!? JACK IN TITANIC??”

 

“Yep. The one and only.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I wanna thank Leonardo Di Caprio for existing in this world, for being an advocate for a better environment, for being Jack, and most of all for being Amber’s good friend. If not for him, Hojoon oppa probably continued on his nagging earlier. He got excited finding out Amber has connections with an A-list Hollywood star that he forgot about lecturing us.

 

Amber told him she will ask his friend to meet with her so she can introduce Hojoon oppa. Of course my trusted oppa is so excited I bet he will have a good night/morning sleep.

 

On our way up to our suites, Hojoon oppa gave me and Amber some restrictions.

 

#1 -  No sleepover

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter