1 - Spring 2013, Cambridge Mass.

Our Spring of What Ifs
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: HEY CHINGUS! SO HERE IS OUR FIRST CHAPTER OF THE STORY, TAKING US ALL BACK TO THE DAY A CERTAIN SOMEONE NAMED JUNG SOOJUNG MET AMBER LIU. JUST A SHORT CHAPTER FOR EVERYONE.

THANK YOU TO ALL WHO SUBSCRIBED TO THIS STORY AND TO THOSE WHO UPVOTED THANK YOU TOO.

WELL LET ME KNOW YOUR THOUGHTS OR JUST HOLLER BACK CHINGUS!

PEACE YOW!~

 

 

 

March, 2013

 

 

Cambridge, Massachusetts

 

 

 

 

The greasy but delicious smell of diner food welcomed my senses the moment I entered the food establishment. I let out an amused smile seeing the theme of the diner. Shucks… this is perfect~…

 

My eyes roamed around the area in awe, not because its my first time eating in a diner. Of course not! We also have this kind of themed diners in San Francisco! Those 50s kind that serves yummy Milkshakes with Cherry on top.

 

Hmmm… I like the place. Its really nostalgic and fits my aesthetic.

 

Very 80s. I love the vibe same as the purpose it serves to the community. The interior looks great! Those movie posters and memorabilia, the movie soundtrack playing in the background…

 

 

“♪Don’t you… forget about me..♫”

 

 

Plus the fact that the name of the diner is one of my favorite movies of all time!

 

“Welcome to The Breakfast Club!”

 

The lanky Korean guy in front of us exclaimed with a wide but shy smile on his face before he spun around to greet the tall man inside the counter. They made a high-five then introduced me and my best friend. “Good day to you two beautiful ladies! Milk Shake is on me…” the owner named George then pointed to our guy friend and chuckled “.. except his. He’s paying and I suggest you two order a lot!”

 

“Hey!”  

 

We gave our Thanks to George for the FREE Milk Shakes without forgetting to give him a high-five. I have this unusual habit of looking at people, listening to them intently before having a conclusion that they are nice or not. 90% of the time my conclusions are accurate the rest is questionable. George, I see him as nice with a really positive and jolly aura surrounding his being.

 

I don’t know… maybe it was cause of having an unusual childhood… being surrounded by strangers all the time that I formed a habit of watching people.

 

I discreetly nudge the shoulder of my best friend teasing her. She answered me back with an embarrassed nudge, the two of us giggling as we followed her “date” to the nearest booth beside the glass window.

 

“Today, forget about dieting. You two will enjoy the food I promise!” he made a Scout’s Promise grinning like a good boy to my friend. Okay Soojung this is it! Forget about dieting the whole week of your vacation!

 

Eat, Sleep, Enjoy, Repeat.

 

I want this to be a good vacation… no stress, no eyes watching every move I make waiting for me to make a mistake. One week of undisturbed vacation away from my busy life in Seoul.

 

Why am I here being a 3rd wheel?

 

Well… its not that I really want to be here!

 

I was planning to sleep all day to nurse my jetlag but shucks… who can say no to your best friend who sounded so desperate to have a chaperone on her DATE!

 

My best friend, her name is Yeong Eun. English name is Grace but I prefer calling her Yeong Eun even in front of many people. Age 21, pretty, talented, aspiring Music Producer. Smart and plays the guitar--

 

“Bass, I play the Bass.” she mumbled with a shy smile to her date who is sitting across us listening intently to her with a very interested smile.

 

Ooops! Okay she plays the Bass not the Guitar.

 

She studies at nearby Berklee School of Music and in her Junior year. We met in Korea back in Middle School and ever since then we are inseparable… until she flew here to the US to study music.

 

I fiddled with the Menu trying to amuse myself while the two of them starts the process of getting to know each other more than they already know. Okay what do we have here… oh, the many choices are named after the movie characters… nice~…

 

Me like this granite marble table top…

 

Ohhhhh~ a Jukebox!

 

Wait I know this song, I know this song!

 

“♪I'll get over you I know I will
I'll pretend my ship's not sinking
And I'll tell myself I'm over you..♫”

 

King of Wishful Thinking from the “Pretty Woman Soundtrack”!

 

I can stay here all day and night just listening to the extensive collection of songs that gorgeous Jukebox has! Gonna try it later and see if it has my faves…

 

Bobbing my head to the beat of the song playing, I let out a chuckle and took another sip of my shake while listening to David talk about a TV show that my best friend also likes to watch. “How about you Krystal? What TV series are you following lately?…” David asked.

 

I released a chuckle remembering the series I was so into back then. “Err.. Skins? Really too busy lately that I don’t have time to binge watch anything.”

 

“Skins UK or US?”

 

“Of course the original one.” Yes! Its the best than the American version hands down!

 

He clapped his hands like he remembered something informative, looking like a dork. “Ah! The two of you will hit it off instantly! She also likes Skins! My best friend is coming in a….” he took a quick peek at his wrist watch eyebrows furrowing “… well actually my best friend should be here this time. Probably on her way…”

 

Ah… the “best friend” Yeong Eun has been talking about earlier. Telling me back at her dorm that I will definitely like David’s best friend. I thought they are setting me up for a blind date, turns out the best friend is a She. Apparently, the best friend who is a SHE studies in Harvard. Nice…

 

Just weird… not that I’m questioning anything but isn’t it weird to have a date and have your best friend who is a girl join you and your date?

 

Oh gosh…. what if they are really setting me up?!

 

Hehehe… crazy.

 

They probably just want company while having a date…

 

And that company is me and that other best friend.

 

Its great though… at least I already met the guy my best friend is dating. I’ve gone deaf just listening to Yeong Eun’s giggles and shrieks over Video chat when she was telling me about the guy she met through a friend.  

 

Am I too behind about dating that this feels like so normal to me?

 

As in, normal to be a 3rd wheeler?

 

*Sip*

 

The weather is fantastic! A good day for strolling around… like those people outside… walking… talking… enjoying Spring in Massachusetts…

 

While these two with me flirts and act cutesy…

 

Wow…  

 

*Sigh*

 

Ugh.

 

This is awkward but okay this is for my best friend…. anyway, the guy seems very nice.

 

Korean too, actually Korean-American and hmmm….

 

“I hail from Los Angeles… My parents migrated to the US long before I was born… so yeah..”

 

His name is David, based on his very humble story to my very smitten best friend, MBA at MIT Sloan School of Management. Nice. He is 2 years older than my best friend but he looks young and a gentleman by the way. Its very rare for Korean men to act like a true gentleman, probably because he grew up here in America.  

 

Believe me when I say CHIVALRY IS DEAD most especially in South Korea. I’m not saying the whole Korean male population but well…. based on my own experience I can say that majority of men I encountered are jerks and s who are dressing up as lambs.

 

The Milk Shake came and gosh I love it! Nothing beats diner Milk Shakes! We made a thumbs up to the owner and he returned it with a salute to us three.

 

 

“Its great, right?”

 

“Gosh this is the best Milk Shake ever!” I exclaimed with a grin.

 

They continued on their chat that centered on the Korean-American Students Association where they belong, me just listening and nodding, smiling and answering when needed. Most of the time I zone out while sipping my Milk Shake, looking outside the window watching the people passing by walking, some are riding their bicycles. 

 

Tomorrow is the start of their Spring Break...

 

*Sip*

 

Thank God no one knows me…

 

This is the kind of place I like, no one gawking at me like they saw a miracle…

 

What IF… I took the chance of a lifetime and left everything behind in exchange of studying in an Ivy League School that I dream of so much?

 

*Sigh*

 

All the What Ifs…

 

Hahaha…

 

All the What Ifs.

 

This is my worst habit. Thinking of all the What Ifs in life that a lot of times will result to me being sleepless at night worrying about nothing.  

 

What can I do?

 

Its how my mind works.

 

Thinking about all the possibilities that could have happened but did not because of a choice. That choice can be good or bad, it depends on the person who made it. Honestly, there is no good or bad choice to a person who thinks logically.

 

Okay~… time to stop or else I will word vomit until you all fall asleep.

 

Anyway, my name is Jung Soojung. Age 20 turning 21 this coming October.

 

Only Family and super close friends has the privilege to call me Soojung.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter