27 - Dark Times

Our Spring of What Ifs
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Chapter 27

 

Dark Times

 

 

05:35 am

Washington, District of Columbia

 

Dr.Liu’s POV

 

 

I asked Soojung while checking at myself in the mirror. “You know what I saw in the mirror just now?”

 

“A ghost?”

 

I can’t help but smile hearing what my silly girlfriend said. I took the towel hanging around my neck and proceeded on drying my short hair. “Nope.”

 

“Hmmm… your handsome self?~”

 

“Yes, but besides that.”

 

She released a playful gasp, her cute voice over Facetime filling the space of the hotel bathroom. “Oh My God! WRINKLES?!”

 

“Damn… I’m starting to feel old.”

 

“Is it that bad?” she asked with a chuckle.

 

Taking another look at myself, I pouted like silly seeing the lines appearing when I smile. I turned to the camera to show it to her. “Not really… I don’t know…”

 

“It’s okay Am… plus, you’re really old.”

 

“Hey!”

 

“Hahahahaha!!”

 

“Look who’s talking!”

 

“YAH!!”

 

The two of us laughed out loud at our silly banter. I took the smartphone from the marble counter and went out to the bedroom to dress. I woke up early today to prepare for my meeting with Representative Cortez.

 

Soojung is already in Milan since two days ago doing her photoshoot while I arrived yesterday morning here in Washington for my meeting.

 

“Don’t forget to wear socks, Love… I packed a few pairs in your luggage.” she reminded.

 

“Yes, Mam! Even my underwear!” I smiled at her and sat on the bed, propping the smartphone on the bedside table with an empty bottle of Perrier so it will stand up. After making sure the phone is steady, I stood up and took the fresh clothes out from the wardrobe cabinet, and started to dress.

 

I look at the screen from time to time, watching what Soojung is doing. She said they will go out later for lunch then will have a quick shoot outside Duomo Cathedral by sunset. My girlfriend is still in her pajamas sitting in her bed, eating a bowl of her favorite Cinnamon Toast Crunch. I always find her cute when eating her cereals. Really cute. Always cute.

 

Hope I can finish my business here in Washington today. With no problems, no extensions, all deals closed. I am confident the data my team and I collected over there at Amundsen will contribute greatly to the bill Representative Cortez and her colleagues are pushing.

 

If I do finish my business here today…

 

I let out a smile to Soojung who was telling me about her plans for the day, my heart thumping with joy just seeing her.

 

I guess I’m going to stick to my plan.

 

 

 

 

 

 

2:10 pm

Milan, Italy

 

Soojung’s POV

 

 

Sometimes I ask myself… aren’t you tired, Soojung?

 

Aren’t you tired of all the drama, the demands, the craziness of the entertainment industry?

 

The hectic schedules, media frenzy, breach of privacy, and everything that comes with this so-called fame.

 

Why can’t you just leave everything behind and live the quiet life you always have been dreaming about? You said it before, you are ready to leave it.

 

For Amber.

 

But are you?

 

Ready?

 

I asked myself that same question again this morning while Facetiming with my girlfriend. She’s in the other part of the world and I miss her so much even though we were together a few days ago before I flew here to Milan for my photoshoot. If she actually asked me to come with her to Washington D.C. and ditch my schedule here I’ll drop everything in a heartbeat and go with her.

 

But of course, that won’t happen. Hehehe.

 

Amber will not let me do that in the first place, and well, that will be crazy and thrilling to do but nah I won’t. Not because I don’t love my girlfriend but because I respect the people I work with. I’m a good girl after all.

 

Plus she will nag me.

 

Sighing, I took a sip of my Iced Latte while staring at myself in the mirror. My hairstylist fixing my hair for the concept of the shoot we will do later. My makeup now fully done and will be retouched once on site.

 

Do I have wrinkles now?

 

I smiled a little, still checking myself out in the mirror. Trying to see if there are any lines showing in my face. I’m too young to have wrinkles… I don’t think so…

 

“Are you like, checking your face now Soojungie? Do you want me to call Jaehee to fix your make-up?” my hairstylist Jinhee noticed my silliness.

 

“Nah, it’s okay unnie. I’m just… checking my face…”

 

“For what?”

 

“Ummm… lines?”

 

Our eyes met while looking in the mirror, my hairstylist unnie’s face filled with wonder as if her mind is processing what I said. Then her eyes darted to my face, scanning it thoroughly that made me blush. Aisshhh…

 

“Unnie!~”

 

“Soojungie are you serious?! Lines? Impossible! Your skin is flawless don’t worry, no lines, to be honest, you look like you haven’t aged a day in your life!”

“Lies!” I laughed out loud pushing her left arm playfully. Jinhee unnie also let out a laugh shaking her head.

 

She did her finishing touches on my hair which she styled wavy an

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter