26 - End game

Our Spring of What Ifs
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

Chapter 26

 

 

Soojung’s POV

 

 

“Stop laughing!”

 

“I’m sorry! Okay?… I just can’t help it!”

 

“Jung Soojung!”

 

I made a motion to zip my mouth the moment my sister flashed the coldest glare she can ever produce. It has been 6 hours since that golf trip we had, 6 hours since that very funny encounter she had with her former members.

 

When I came back from the bathroom to our table, I was welcomed with awkwardness coming from Jess and her ‘friends’. Amber was scratching her head looking so helpless about the situation. The funniest thing was the way Yuri was looking at Amber from head to toe as if she’s accessing a rival. I immediately made my presence known by wrapping my arm around Amber’s waist claiming what’s mine.

 

Yuri and Hyoyeon with another woman I don’t know. What made me curious and somewhat felt annoyed was the way that woman looks at Jess and my girlfriend. There was some malice in it. Ugh.

 

“Yah! Don’t lie on my couch!”

 

“But I’m soooo tired…” I said while stretching my limbs lazily on top of her oh-so-precious living room couch.

 

“Seriously, who played golf today?” my sister said in a scoff.

 

“But I’m so tiredddddddd…..”

 

“Did you two had a quickie before coming here?”

 

“Oh my God! Words, Jessica! How scandalous!”

 

“Where’s Amber?” she asked with a smirk. I can’t believe my sister-- my very classy sister Jessica Jung just said the word “quickie” without batting an eyelash.  

 

“In a videocall meeting…” I replied to her gritting my teeth with an annoyed and embarrassed eye smile.

 

“Hmmm…”

 

“With people from US Congress and UN Climate Change Committee…”

 

“Woahhhh… big shot.”

 

After the ‘showdown’ earlier at the Clubhouse, we went home separately with Jess being driven by her chauffeur. Amber and I drove back to Seoul, stopping first at the nearest supermarket to buy groceries then straight home. After having a rest and a much-deserved shower, I went up to my sister’s unit to check on her.

 

I found Jess sitting in front of her TV watching a documentary series on Netflix about serial killers. I don’t know why she is watching this kind of stuff but I doubt she has any plans of being one.

 

 

I hope so?

 

Hehehe…

 

“I hope you are not building up a plot to be a killer…” I said in a jest. She threw one of her couch pillows in my direction that made me laugh so hard. She looks so annoyed hahaha!

 

“What if I do?!”

 

She released a deep sigh, leaning her back on the couch and hugging her knees. Jess is sitting on the carpeted floor while watching, only wearing casual joggers and a white oversized t-shirt. Her hair falling on her shoulders, her face problematic.

 

Sigh.

 

When will Jessica get to live a quiet life?

 

I guess this is the downside of this profession we chose years ago when we were young.

 

Who doesn’t dream of a quiet life? Every one of us wants it, dream of it.

 

But only a few get to live it.

 

When will I get to live my own quiet life?

 

A few minutes of silence passed by before I had the urge to ask her again. “Jess… Did marriage ever crossed your mind while you were still with Tyler?”

 

She answered after a minute of silence. “Honestly? Yes, it did. But not like I want to marry him so much. If I wanted to marry him so much then we wouldn’t have dated that long, that was five years of my life wasted dating that jerk.”

 

“But did he, like, talked about marriage with you? Like… you know… like plans to marry you?”

 

“He did… in jest. That’s it. Nothing serious, always in jest. He gave me a ring, but it’s a couple ring.”

 

“At least you got a ring…”

 

“Why? Amber hasn’t given you a ring?”

 

I shook my head replying with a hum. “She gives me stones but not a ring with glistening stones.” clicking my tongue after. Until now I still collect those shiny pebbles she gives me, with no slightest idea of what to do with them.

 

“Maybe she wants you to collect then you can build a house with it…” she said with a chuckle. I threw back the pillow, snorting.

 

Silence fell again. Both of us now watching a scene where a re-enactment of a crime was being shown. My stomach churned the moment I heard the sound effects of knife stabbing and blood splatter. Ugh.

 

“How about you?” Jess asked while her eyes still glued to the scene being shown.

 

“Hmmm?…”

 

“What’s the plan between you and Liu?”

 

The mention of my girlfriend brought a proud smirk from my lips. I took a glance at my sister first before my eyes went back to what we are watching. “Definitely my end game.”

 

“Are you HER end game? That’s the question.”

 

“Yah! There’s no one else but me of course!”

 

“Are you sure?”

 

“You wanna die?!”

 

“Have you two already talked about marriage?”

 

“Yep…”

 

“And?”

 

“Well…” I bit my lips out of shyness. My cheeks turning hot remembering my conversation with Amber about that thing called Marriage.

 

My sister turned around to face me, crossing her arms with an inquisitive look. Gosh. Why am I suddenly in a hot seat?

 

“Well? What did you two talk about? Is that whipped Scientist going to marry you or not? You’re not getting any younger Jung SooJung!”

 

“I know okay? But right now is not the perfect time to talk about Marriage because of my career…” I smiled shyly at my sister and continued, “Amber and I talked about it and she said she won’t marry me unless I’m ready.”

 

“Are YOU going to be ready? Like, do you feel you will be ready anytime soon?” she asked.

 

I also ask myself that question many times at night while watching Amber sleep. Because I know in my heart she’s the only one I want to spend the rest of my life with. The only reason I’m holding back on telling Amber I am ready is because I feel like I still have to do certain things… unlock certain goals I have set up for myself.

 

A sigh came out of my lips. “I know to myself that I’m ready. But… not now. She knows it too, now is not the right time.”

 

“Then when is the right time?” she asked.

 

When is the right time?

 

I fell silent thinking about her question.                                                                                                         

 

“I thought he’s my end game too…” she sighed. Sadness dripping from her words. “I’m already in my early 30s, in my mind I had this plan… before turning 35 I should be married and have kids. If Tyler still won’t propose by the time I turn 34, I will do it.” I shuddered upon hearing her last words. Thank God they are over. “Looks like I’m doomed to spend the rest of my life alone.”

 

I went over to her and sat beside her on the floor giving her a side hug, squeezing my big sister lovingly. She rested her hand on my arm that is hugging her patting it affectionately. I only want happiness for my sister, is it too hard to achieve?

 

“You are not alone Jess… I’m still here. I’ll always be by your side. You know that, right?”

 

“I know… I know you do, Soojungie.”

 

“So don’t be sad anymore, okay?”

 

“Tyler will pay for his crime. He better do! That jerk!” I giggled at unnie’s outburst. I let go of her but remained at her side. “By the way, you talked with that Singaporean friend of Amber’s Dad earlier over the phone, right? What did you two talk about?” I asked out of curiosity.

 

“Ahhh… yeah. He said his friend who is keeping Tyler in the Philippines is willing to turn over Tyler to the Interpol…”

 

“That’s good news!”

 

“... only with one request.” my eyebrows raised with what she said. Request?

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter