Best Friend

Half A Year - A ChanSoo Korean Drama
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I’m so happy we’re doing fittings for our weddings together!” Luhan gushed two days later, giggling as he and Kyungsoo entered the wedding boutique hand in hand.

 

Kyungsoo had to smile. Just before he jetted off to Las Vegas last week, he had been diligently performing his omega-of-honor duties including helping choose a theme for his cousin/best friend’s wedding, and they had agreed to gold and teal colors, but who knew that Kyungsoo would be surpassing his cousin hyung by becoming a married omega himself when he came back?

 

The employee at the reception greeted Luhan and Kyungsoo and excused himself to fetch Luhan’s silk hanbok.

 

“Oh, and Kyungsoo-ssi will be trying on a few hanbok as well,” Luhan quipped with a huge grin. “Do you have new selections for us to see?”

 

“Yes, of course!” The omega clapped in delight. “For his wedding to Chanyeol-ssi on April!”

 

The blush on Kyungsoo’s cheeks spread down his neck, appearing as though he was breaking into a rash. Everyone else in South Korea had become the first to know of their wedding date—which his parents had taken the liberty of setting—from the press conference his father held in KRIS Enterprises headquarters.

 

“April 26th?” Chanyeol had echoed when they watched it that night on the late telecast when his father made the announcement.

 

Kyungsoo had moaned, burying his face in a pillow. “Can we just run away?”

 

But his alpha hadn’t been listening. Kyungsoo had looked up to see Chanyeol checking something on his phone.

 

“Would you be available on that date, nampyeon?” He’d thought to joke.

 

A lopsided grin had cracked Chanyeol’s face, his deep dimple digging on his left cheek, his eyes still on his screen. “Let me clear my calendar for you.”

 

Kyungsoo had leaned a little closer to him and saw that his alpha indeed was looking at the calendar, his eyes running on the dates line by line.

 

“That’s our 100th day,” Chanyeol said suddenly, turning to him.

 

Kyungsoo blinked back to the present when he realized that Luhan was waving a hand in front of his eyes.

 

“Kyungja, are you okay?”

 

The younger one nodded, sitting down on the sofa in the waiting area. “I’m still tired, I guess,” he confessed, lowering his eyes. “I haven’t quite recovered from all the…”

 

His voice trailed off when he saw Luhan grinning knowingly at him.

 

“W-What?” Kyungsoo asked nervously.

 

 

Luhan giggled, rubbing the younger one’s arm, and then whispered, “I suppose it’s just natural, that your alpha wouldn’t let you sleep…” He looked away, a bit embarrassed. “I mean, I wouldn’t know. Sehun has been terribly busy lately, especially when your alpha called him to Las Vegas…”

 

“Hyung!” Kyungsoo scolded. “I wasn’t talking about that!”

 

His beautiful cousin looked startled. “Then why are you so tired, Kyungja?”

 

“Well, I couldn’t sleep, that’s all. And three months to plan a wedding?” Kyungsoo was getting chest pains just thinking about it.

 

“We’ll give my wedding planner a call,” Luhan recommended, getting his cellphone out.

 

They thanked the attendant who served them a pot of Earl Grey tea as Luhan confirmed Kyungsoo with the team planning his own wedding.

 

Luhan smiled victoriously as he concluded the call. “Yixing cannot refuse you. Yours will be the spring wedding of the year.”

 

Kyungsoo laughed, squeezing his best friend’s hand. “And yours will be the Christmas wedding of the year!” He then sipped from his cup. “A winter wedding… I had no idea Sehun hyung was such a romantic.”

 

“He is! All 183 centimeters of him!” Luhan sighed dreamily. “So thank you for being our matchmaker.”

 

The two pretty cousins giggled.

 

“I would have done you the same favor, you know,” Luhan admitted. “That very same night, I would have introduced you to Chanyeol hyung.”

 

Kyungsoo’s smile gradually softened. “How… How do you know each other?”

 

Luhan covered his mouth with his hands, as he burst out laughing. “Kyungja, promise me you won’t be mad.”

 

The younger one looked confused. “W-Why would I be mad?”

 

“So after Jongin-ah had finished his military enlistment, he started working with this new stellar businessman, who eventually became his good friend. Then Jongin thought to set us up on a blind date about a couple of years ago, when you were still in Paris.”

 

Luhan held his hands up in amends when the younger one’s mouth went agape. “Just once, and nothing happened, I swear. It was only dinner to a nice restaurant, which he paid for. At the end of the hour, Chanyeol hyung and I both agreed that we were better off as friends, since I still run into him a lot being Sehun’s client and best buddy. He is very nice… just kind of quiet, though.” His doe-like eyes mischievously twinkled. “I bet I know what first attracted you to him.”

 

Kyungsoo diverted his gaze. It was one thing that Luhan knew him so well. It was another to feel his entire body’s temperature rising.

 

“His Yoda ears!” Luhan exclaimed with on-point certainty that left Kyungsoo shrieking and curling his fingers**. “I’m right, aren’t I?” The older one laughed, curling his fingers as well. (**Koreans’ knee jerk reaction to something incredibly cheesy or corny.)

 

Kyungsoo covered his face with his hands, wondering if the redness on his cheeks would ever abate. There was nothing unsightly about Chanyeol at all, at least nothing he had noticed. Even his elf-like ears were so distinctive, they were beautiful.

 

This early morning, for instance, Kyungsoo had decided to get up at the break of dawn to surprise him by sneaking into the kitchen to make him breakfast, only for him to catch Chanyeol running on the treadmill in his home office, in all his shirtless and sweating glory…

 

His alpha hadn’t noticed him, of course, as his very wide back was on him, and he had his Bluetooth device on his ear, speaking in Japanese, perhaps to a client, without any hint whatsoever of being out of breath while sprinting at the same time.

 

What was not to be attracted about?

 

Luhan gently removed Kyungsoo’s hands so the younger one couldn’t hide anymore. “Kyungja… we’ve always been able to talk about everything.”

 

Kyungsoo bit his lower lip as he recognized a tinge of hurt creeping into his best friend’s gaze.

 

“And… when Sehun came home and told me that you and Chanyeol hyung had tied the knot, I admit I was shocked at first, because you hadn’t said anything but…” Luhan sighed, looking confused. “I thought you went to Las Vegas to meet with your father.”

 

“I did,” Kyungsoo answered, wanting to spill all of it to unburden some of the weight he had been carrying, but how much should he tell his hyung? Should he talk to his alpha first, so they would at least be consistent with their answers when these tricky questions about their elopement came up? “Everything happened so quickly. I hadn’t even been able to tell my parents…”

 

At least, he hadn’t lied to Luhan… yet.

 

Luhan nodded in sympathy. “I know. I heard Omma trying to comfort your mother when he first heard that you had gotten married in the news… to Chanyeol hyung!” His perplexed expression was resurfacing, and it then turned apologetic. “Kyungja, had I been too engrossed with planning my own wedding that you didn’t get the chance to tell me that you were dating him? How long have you been together?” Luhan squeezed both Kyungsoo’s cold hands. “Mian-hae! You can tell me now. I’m all ears.”

 

Kyungsoo sighed, closing his eyes in dejection. He didn’t mean to make Luhan feel bad, but how to get around this sticky situation? “Hyung… we hadn’t been together for long.”

 

He swallowed. Okay, so far so good. That was the truth, anyway. He had been with Chanyeol for a grand total of 7 days.

 

“Oh…” Luhan’s full grin slowly unfolded, getting giddy. “A whirlwind kind of romance?”

 

Kyungsoo laughed, although it sounded as though he was half-weeping. “You… could say that…”

 

Was that a lie? Now, he wasn’t so sure.

 

He was able to breathe again when the racks of hanbok finally arriv

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter