To Whom His Heart Belongs

Half A Year - A ChanSoo Korean Drama
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Kamsa-hamnida, kamsa-hamnida…” Standing at the entrance, Kyungsoo had lost count as to how many people attended the opening of his art school and shook his hand.  He could see more guests arriving on the red carpet laid out towards the grand stairs.  “Thank you for coming.”
 

His parents had invited all their media connections to boost promotion for the art school and the government even commended Kyungsoo for launching such a worthwhile venture for the community. 
 

He felt someone squeeze his shoulders. 
 

“Kyungja,” he heard Luhan whisper in his ear.  “The MC is asking for you at the podium.”
 

Kyungsoo bowed at the guests while Luhan took over welcoming them, hearing his best friend say, “Please enjoy Kyungsoo-ssi’s exhibit.  There are also refreshments inside.”
 

He stepped into the main hall, startled and touched by the thunderous applause that greeted him.
 

“Gentlemen,” the celebrity MC from the biggest Korean TV network announced when he came in sight.  “There he is, the founder of this fine art school, Kyungsoo-ssi.  Doesn’t he look lovely tonight?”

 

 

There were distinct, appreciative woots and whistles that Kyungsoo’s cheeks reddened as he walked past the crowd, buttoning up the jacket of the penguin suit that he’d had made and altered especially for this event.  The people gave way, clapping their hands even more enthusiastically, as he smiled and waved, thanking them humbly.  The MC offered his hand to help him up the stage and handed him a microphone.
 

“Kamsa-hamnida,” Kyungsoo addressed his guests once again with much appreciation.  He really couldn’t see their faces, especially the ones at the back, as the bright, bright lights from the TV network covering the event were in his line of vision.  “I really didn’t expect this big of a turn out so I thank all of you.”
 

“You are heir and president of one of the biggest conglomerates in the country.  What inspired you to open this art school?” the MC asked, as part of the interview agreed upon with the TV network. 
 

Kyungsoo smiled.  “Art has always been my passion.  Before taking over KRIS Enterprises, I make time to paint or at least I am constantly driven to express my emotions through painting.  Since I was accepted as an art scholar in Paris a few years ago, I had dreamed of opening my own art school to give the same opportunities to talented artists who wouldn’t otherwise be able to hone their gifts in a conducive and nurturing environment.”
 

“So this is your way of giving back?”
 

“I would say this is paying it forward,” Kyungsoo answered sincerely, which induced another round of applause from the audience. 
 

“What a worthy cause.  After touring the premises, our guests found the state-of-the-art facilities impressive, along with the precious collection of artwork by you and famous and unknown painters alike.  What would your requirements be when admitting scholars?  When would enrollment begin?”
 

“Of course, there would be a screening process, for both faculty and students.  I had been working with a team to launch our official website as applications are also open internationally.  Potential students would be required to send their portfolio and they will be called in for an interview.  The school year will begin on January next year, so I look forward to opening our doors to the first batch of students.” Kyungsoo laughed sweetly, couldn’t hide his excitement.
 

“Our guests are also especially fascinated and awed by your paintings hanging in various rooms of this building.  The scenery from your trip to Turkey stirred their heartstrings because of such detail and realism.”
 

“Oh, kamsa-hamnida,” Kyungsoo thanked the audience again, his face turning crimson once more.  “I merely transfer what I see and appreciate on the canvass.  Apart from South Korea, Turkey is the most beautiful country I have ever been to.  Hopefully I was able to give justice to the treasured nooks I’ve been privileged to visit.  The reward I feel when I make someone happy with what I paint is really just overwhelming.”
 

“You have brought acclaim to our country when your painting, the Nebula, was displayed in the Hall of Fame in your school in Paris.”
 

Kyungsoo only nodded meekly.  And a heavy red curtain dropped from the left on cue, causing the guests to gasp in delight as his renowned painting was revealed for all to see. 
 

The MC turned to him with a great smile.  “I heard that your alpha made a pricey bid for it to give to you as a wedding gift.  Is this true?”
 

He felt a deep stab in his chest at the mention of his alpha, whom he hadn’t heard from since Macau.  Had Chanyeol received the papers he had sent over yesterday?  Why hadn’t he responded?  “D-De,” Kyungsoo weakly replied.  
 

He wasn’t ready to let the entire country know that the media darling couple of the elite Seoul society was divorcing after only half a year.
 

His lips upce more for a passable smile when he saw one of his French professors cheering profusely at the front of the stage. 
 

“Another highlight of your exhibit that the guests truly admired is the three paintings in the series you called Hyeon-U: To Whom My Heart Belongs.”

 

 

Kyungsoo couldn’t bear to look at the paintings as the weight of the red curtain to the right dropped, unveiling what he considered to be his most honest and incomparable masterpieces yet…
 

The audience once more rewarded him with their generous and deafening praises as they took in the lifelike and faithful renderings of how Kyungsoo pictured his alpha—the only love of his life.
 

From that moment he had sketched him sleeping in his suite in Las Vegas*, the day Chanyeol had agreed to model for him with the taller one staring out the window in their honeymoon in Istanbul** and how Kyungsoo perceived him now...
 

“Quite beautiful depictions of Chanyeol-ssi that could only have been through the eyes of an omega in love,” the MC graciously complimented, palpably moved by Kyungsoo’s interpretations.  Then he looked confused, suddenly asking Kyungsoo, “Which reminds me, where is your alpha?”
 

Kyungsoo opened his mouth but no sound came out. 
 

For long, excruciating moments, he couldn’t hear anything… but his own rapid heartbeat.
 

Just then, someone came up on the stage, taking the microphone from him.
 

“Uh, Chanyeol-ssi is currently handling some business out of town,” Jongin piped in, grinning apologetically to the MC and the audience.

 

 

 

Kyungsoo casted him a look of much gratitude. 
 

Jongin smiled at Kyungsoo and continued to give a diplomatic response on behalf of Chanyeol.  “He sends his congratulations to his lovely omega, whom he’s very proud of, and he welcomes all of you.”
 

“Ah, the ever elusive Chanyeol-ssi,” the MC concluded in understanding. “I’m sure you understand the sacrifices and responsibilities that come with being the president of a large group of companies, don’t you, Kyungsoo-ssi?”
 

Kyungsoo nodded, suddenly feeling exhausted.  “Again, I would like to thank everyone for attending this opening and enjoy the rest of the evening.”
 

With that, he turned to leave the stage with Jongin staring at him in worry. 
 

Kyungsoo merely assured his friend with a small smile, as Jongin whispered in his ear about another pressing matter about settling the bill with the caterers for this event. 
 

Kyungsoo whispered back, “Araseo, hyung.  Kindly see me in my office in a few minutes.”
 

He turned to his heel, barely hearing the MC encouraging donors for sponsorship and how interested patrons might send their support to the appropriate channels to continue raising funds for the art school.
 

His father, who sat on the front row, grabbed his hand as Kyungsoo walked past, with his mother looking on in concern. 
 

“Gwaenchanhaeyo, Appa, Omma,” he told them softly, as he squeezed Yifan’s hand in comfort.  “I’ll just get something from my office and I’ll join you after Yixing-ssi and I pay the caterers in full.”
 

With a nod, Yifan and Junmyeon reluctantly let their child go.
 

The truth was Kyungsoo just needed to breathe.
 

He entered his office in a hurry, almost fainting with relief in the isolation.  He knew the questions about Chanyeol would come, which he thought he would be able to deflect with grace and ease.  Wasn’t that how he was trained all his life to be, growing up in the public eye as the child of the one of the most powerful businessmen in Asia?
 

But he and Chanyeol hadn’t spoken, so how would he know what to say?  Should he announce the divorce tomorrow?  Should he take Chanyeol’s silence as agreement to what he asked him to sign?
 

His eyes fell on the flower bouquet*** that he had painted directly on the wall near the door, and tears began to blur his vision. 
 

How was it… that his alpha had been so in love, only married to him for a week then?  What happened to that Chanyeol?  What did Kyungsoo ever do to make him change his heart?
 

He willed himself to stop the onslaught of memories of happier times with Chanyeol, as Jongin might be coming in at any moment.  He didn’t want to dissolve into a crying mess on his big night, even if Jongin hyung could clearly tell how upset he was.  He still needed to present his best self, in order to mingle and thank his guests and potential

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter