Traitor

Half A Year - A ChanSoo Korean Drama
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chanyeol blindly stormed off, leaving the organizers of the event and his fellow Deep Pocketers in shock. 
 

One of the ushers tried to stop him but Chanyeol pushed the younger alpha away, causing the latter to topple back and then thankfully swept to safety by two more alphas on the aisle. 
 

Dishonorable was the last thing Yunho would be described as. 
 

Your mother knows the truth, Chanyeol-ssi!
 

How dare Zitao bring his mother into this?!  That vile old alpha shouldn’t speak about his mother like that if he knew Baekhyun at all!
 

I’ll get to the bottom of this, Chanyeol swore to himself as he proceeded to the elevators, seething.  I’ll expose who the real traitor was, and it wasn’t my father.
 

He slammed the door upon returning to his suite and grabbed the phone to contact the concierge.  Unaware that he was practically barking at the unsuspecting hotel employee about getting chauffer service to take him to the airport in half an hour, Chanyeol unceremoniously hung up and proceeded to packing his things.
 

Ever the multi-tasker, he activated his Bluetooth device and chose a familiar contact on his speed dial. 
 

“Hyung?” Sehun answered.  “How’s your tournament?”
 

“What the hell happened with Gwanak?!” Chanyeol snapped.  “How could something as big as that operation blindside us?!”
 

Sehun heaved a deep sigh.  “Hyung, apparently there was a previous court ruling that if negotiations for the bidding of the land have not been finalized by the end of June this year, then the current owner will proceed with demolition as initially planned.”
 

“MWO?!”
 

The current owner was… Zitao.
 

“I talked to Kyungja,” Sehun continued, “and—”
 

“I don’t want to hear anything about my omega!  What I need to know is—”
 

The doorbell rang.
 

Chanyeol cursed under his breath.  “I’ll call you later,” he told his friend, who abruptly protested as the line was cut off.
He opened the door and almost dropped his cellphone.
 

“Nampyeon!” Kyungsoo embraced his neck tightly as Chanyeol’s eyes grew round staring at his mother, uncle and dongseang behind his omega, who all started talking at once.
 

“We thought you already left,” Baekhyun lamented, about to move towards his son.
 

“Kyungsoo hyung called us and said he had chartered a private plane, so we could all see you,” Minseok was saying, taking their bags inside.
 

“We’re so glad you’re safe, joka,” Jongdae was telling him as he closed the door, but somehow the sincerity of the words didn’t sink in to Chanyeol.
 

Kyungsoo gasped as his alpha harshly removed his arms from around him and took a step back from them, an uncharacteristic upset expression on his handsome face. 
 

“What are you all doing here?” he asked them frigidly, looking at his uncle in betrayal.
 

Tears streamed down Kyungsoo’s face.  “You have to give me a chance to explain.  You weren’t answering my calls!  I have to tell you what I found out!”
 

Chanyeol stared at the smaller one in disbelief.  “What you found out…” he repeated slowly. “You mean to tell me, jagiya,” he emphasized the word sarcastically, “that as the president of KRIS Enterprises, you have no idea the take-over of Gwanak would be overridden?”
 

“He doesn’t,” Baekhyun argued, making his son look at him.  “I told you Kyungsoo had nothing to do with the past.  Don’t be unfair to your omega.”
 

Chanyeol’s eyes stung with tears as he felt there was no one within five feet from him he could trust.  His gaze now centered on his mother, the omega, after Kyungsoo, he loved the most.  “What have you been keeping from me, Omma?” he whispered, helplessly accusing.  “Zitao said you know the truth.”  His voice shook with every word.  “WHAT THE HELL IS THAT TRUTH, EOMONIM?!”
 

“Ch-Chanyeol-ah, calm down,” Kyungsoo soothed, reaching out to him.  He flinched when his alpha shirked away from him. 
 

“Your father…”  Baekhyun’s words got lost in fits of sobs, couldn’t believe he was unearthing a wound that had debilitated his family all these years. 
 

“What about my father, Omma?!” Chanyeol demanded.  “TELL ME!”
 

Baekhyun was developing hiccups that Minseok and Jongdae came by his side in comfort.  “Your father and Yifan convinced Zitao to fork over all their assets in a pot in an exclusive poker game, winner takes all.  He wanted to provide us with a better life, a very comfortable life, that he was sure he would win.”  He looked forlornly at Minseok, who never experienced a life of luxury growing up until Chanyeol was able to support their family finally. 

 

 

“And he did, didn’t he?” Chanyeol concluded.  “Fair and square?”
 

“Not quite,” Baekhyun wept helplessly.  “When he won and Zitao had to sign over everything to him and Yifan, he planned on running away with all the money, leaving Yifan behind.”
 

Kyungsoo’s mouth dropped while Chanyeol closed his eyes, shaking his head, refusing to believe any of it.
 

“Your father… became greedy, and entered an underground gambling ring, and staked all of his winnings on the same week without Yifan’s knowledge…” Baekhyun sighed deeply, his chest hurting.  “And he lost.”
 

Chanyeol fell on his knees.
 

“Yifan tried to recover the losses, even negotiated with the Jo-Pok* (*Korean mafia) in exchange to spare Yunho’s life,” Baekhyun painfully went on, couldn’t bear to see his children, including Kyungsoo, in tears.  But they had to know, to release them from all the grievous secrecy.  “Zitao was a gangster ally, that’s why he reclaimed most of his properties almost immediately.  So it was a careless, thoughtless move on your father’s part.”
 

“Aniya, aniya, aniya…” Chanyeol mumbled,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter