Keeping The Peace

Half A Year - A ChanSoo Korean Drama
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kyungsoo fidgeted with his cold, damp hands as the elevators descended floor by excruciating floor about an hour later.  Yifan had wanted him to come up his suite six floors up, but Kyungsoo refused as he thought it best to meet with his father on neutral ground.
 

Yifan conceded and invited Kyungsoo to have breakfast with him at the dining hall. 
 

“No bodyguards,” Kyungsoo had insisted over the phone.  “Just us having a meal together, as family.”
 

“Kyungsoo-ssi,” a bodyguard of his father’s greeted him when he came upon the lobby. 
 

His jaw dropped, as he looked at his father in dismay.  “Appa!”
 

“They need to be close by.  That’s what I’m paying them for,” Yifan told Kyungsoo, standing up from his seat.  “They won’t be joining us, so don’t worry.”  He looked around, as if searching for someone.  “Where’s your alpha?”
 

“I’m letting him sleep,” Kyungsoo said protectively.  
 

His father’s eyes softened, perhaps could feel that his child’s guard was up.  Yifan opened up his arms to him then.
 

A couple of months ago, Kyungsoo would have run into them without hesitation.
 

“I’m calling a truce here, Kyungja,” Yifan crooned, lowering his arms now.  “Are you still angry with me?”
 

Kyungsoo couldn’t decide at the moment as he walked past his father.  “I’m hungry, Appa.  Let’s go inside.”
 

To his relief, his father was true to his word and entered the hall without his entourage. 
 

Kyungsoo attempted to organize his thoughts while he sat opposite Yifan on a table near the windows.  He resolved not to stay too long, should Chanyeol wake up and find him gone. 
 

He just needed to have some questions answered, which had caused so much misunderstanding and grief since Las Vegas, and April was almost upon them.
 

Kyungsoo could feel his father’s eyes on him.
 

“You’ve lost some weight,” Yifan observed from across the table, as they were served fresh sliced fruit.  “I was told by your alpha that he’s taking good care of you.”
 

Kyungsoo met his father’s eyes evenly.  “He is.”
 

His father didn’t seem fazed.  “Eat something, jebal,” he reprimanded softly, putting strawberries and peaches on Kyungsoo’s plate.
 

Though still defiant, Kyungsoo took one bite.  The citrus strawberry gave him a jolt of energy, from the lack of sleep and food. 
 

“After we hung up, I called your mother.  Junmyeon was so happy—”
 

“I’m not doing this for Omma,” Kyungsoo interrupted in a whisper, trying to keep his frustration at bay.  Why was his father so calm?  Had he forgotten everything he said and did to Kyungsoo the last time they saw each other?  “I’m having this conversation with you because of my alpha.”
 

Yifan’s face turned stony.  “Your alpha,” he ominously echoed.  “What has he told you now?”
 

“That’s just it!  Nothing!” Kyungsoo snapped, slamming his palms on the table.
 

Startled hotel guests and staff within proximity turned their eyes at their direction.
 

Kyungsoo lowered his gaze, clenching his fists on his lap as a means to control his temper. 
 

“Calm down, child,” Yifan scolded gently, his handsome face heating up at the unwanted attention.  “You are in no place to raise your voice at me.”
 

“Weren’t you the one who said that you have no child?” Kyungsoo bitterly reminded him, his big eyes welling up with tears.  “That you can’t stand the sight of me, unless I marry Zitao harabeoji?”  He quickly wiped the tear that fell on his cheek.  “Why would you do that?  Why would you arrange my marriage for me?”
 

Yifan now avoided his accusing gaze.  “You’re married now, aren’t you?  And I’ve left you in peace, even if I’m not very happy with the alpha of your choice.”
 

“But with an iron-clad condition!” Kyungsoo blurted out in disbelief.  “Don’t talk about my marriage as if I owe you!”
 

“Wae?” Yifan challenged.  “Are you giving up already?”
 

Kyungsoo blinked at his father, taken aback.
 

“Is that why you called me?” His father pressed incessantly.  “You want to come home?”
 

“Aniyo, I’m not giving up,” Kyungsoo answered with conviction.  “I love Chanyeol.”
 

Father and child stared at each other for some moments.  The waiters serving them grew discomfited as they placed more food with the untouched courses on their table. 
 

“Let’s say I believe you.  Let’s say… you entered this marriage because you love each other.  Then all is well.”  Yifan sighed, leaning closer.  “I will explain everything, if that’s what you came here for.  Mingling with entrepreneurs of Zitao-ssi’s caliber is dirty business, my child.  He has had his eye on you since the day you were born.”
 

Kyungsoo shivered, not sure he wanted to hear what his father had to say now. 
 

“You were the guarantee, over some stupid, thoughtless decisions I made when I was still starting up my businesses, and Zitao was among the people who helped loosen the ends.  When you turned 25, he asked if he could marry you.”
 

Kyungsoo could feel bile gurgling up his throat and he wanted to vomit.  “So you sold me?”
 

Yifan winced at his hurt tone.  “At the end of six months of your trust fund, we will have paid the debt that we owed him.  Ryeowook has the divorce papers ready at the end of that date so we could be free of him.”
 

“How sure are you that Harabeoji will agree to the divorce?  And why do I have to pay for your—”
 

“Mian-hae, mian-hae, mian-hae,” Yifan whispered, unexpectedly choking up at the harsh truth coming out of his

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter