Speculations

Half A Year - A ChanSoo Korean Drama
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Hyung!  Is my father all right?” Kyungsoo immediately asked Sehun the moment they came upon him at the hospital’s entrance.  The young lawyer looked like a teenager wearing a baseball cap, black sweater and jeans.  Perhaps it was too early to be in a suit yet, unlike Chanyeol…
 

“He’s perfectly well,” Sehun answered, quickly leading Kyungsoo by the arm inside with Chanyeol automatically following.  “Come along, you need to take a pregnancy test.”
 

“MWO?!” (WHAT?!)
 

The chaos in the hospital was brought to a standstill as doctors, nurses and patients ogled at their direction.
 

Sehun grimaced, motioning with his hand in apology at the people in their immediate proximity.  He huddled the newlyweds in a corner, speaking in a hushed voice, “Your father will be holding a press conference at the Seoul head office at exactly 8 a.m. today, which gives us roughly a little over an hour, so the results have to be verified by this hospital’s lead obstetrician-gynecologist before then.”
 

The puppeteer that was his father-in-law had struck again, and this latest stunt was quickly propelling Chanyeol past his limits.  “Is this completely necessary?” he argued, frowning.  “We are already married.  What more does Yifan want from us?”
 

Sehun looked at Chanyeol.  “First of all, is there…”  Then he darted a glance at Kyungsoo’s stomach, which shape was concealed by a loose dark sweater, “…a bun in the oven, right now?”
 

“ANIYA!” Chanyeol and Kyungsoo exclaimed at the same time.
 

“I already told you, hyung!” Kyungsoo snapped, hitting Sehun’s arm with his fist.
 

“Then what’s with the violent reaction?”  Sehun stared at them strangely, rubbing the sore spot Kyungsoo had just jabbed.  “And frankly, I’m surprised at you, Chanyeol hyung.  You’re usually several steps ahead with whatever is happening with the rest of the world.  You should at least be aware of what’s going on in yours.” 
 

“What are you talking about?” Chanyeol asked irritably.  
 

Sehun typed something quickly on his phone and then showed them his screen afterwards.  He had searched their names online and several websites came up with tagged hyperlinks.
 

Mostly the headlines blared: KRIS ENTERPRISES HEIR’S SPEEDY MATRIMONY TO UP-AND-COMING BUSINESSMAN SPARKS PREGNANCY SPECULATIONS
 

And the pages kept loading like crazy.
 

Kyungsoo’s eyes widened in shock. 
 

Sehun had to laugh.  “You two have gone extremely viral in the past couple of days!”
 

It wiped the grin off Sehun’s face when Chanyeol shot him a warning look. 
 

“It’s true, Yifan samcheon’s first intention is to save face,” Sehun contended, “but it’s also to paint his child and his new son-in-law in a positive light.  From a juristic point of view, it makes a lot of sense to reinforce the public’s perception that all is well in the family—”
 

“Even after he outright disowned me?” Kyungsoo interrupted, his blood boiling.  He had rushed here with his alpha who was supposed to go to work, changing into the first clothes he could get from his luggage as he hadn’t even unpacked yet, afraid that his father might have been hospitalized, only to be subjected to this humiliation?  
 

And to think Kyungsoo was even contemplating on letting bygones be bygones and reconciling with his father.
 

Well, forget it, Kyungsoo fumed inwardly.  “I don’t believe the results will be for my well-being, if I were really carrying his grandchild,” he retorted. “It’s for damage control!”
 

Sehun sighed, looking to Chanyeol for rescue but hyung didn’t look like he would budge.  “Kyungja, your father was very upset that night in Las Vegas.  While he’s still not ready to see you—”
 

“You’re on his side now?” Kyungsoo scoffed, rolling his eyes in disbelief.  
 

Chanyeol squeezed Kyungsoo’s shoulder to try and calm him down. 
 

“When Appa called me an hour ago to arrange for this test, I felt that it was too much invasion of your privacy.  I know it’s the principle of the thing, but if we don’t comply with this, everyone will assume that you both have something to hide,” Sehun beseeched.  “With the media pacified that there’s nothing fishy about this union, then the trust fund’s marriage clause doesn’t have to be implied,” he turned to Kyungsoo gravely, “which we are trying to avoid.  Just think about how many marriage proposals you’ll receive should the truth about that clause comes out.”
 

Chanyeol clenched his fists tightly, detesting the fact that they had to give in. 
 

Kyungsoo appeared visibly shaken at the thought.
 

“Kyungja, Chanyeol hyung, I am your friend,” Sehun vowed, “and I promise to represent you legally.  Please help me do my job and protect you.”  He huddled them even closer, trying to brush away that uneasy feeling that something was still amiss.  “If there’s anything more you wish to tell me, let me know now.”
 

Were they conspiring about something?  Why are they looking at each other like that?  Sehun thought in frustration.  “Jinjja, nothing else?” (Really)
 

“The truth is I’m not pregnant when I married Chanyeol, and I am not now,” Kyungsoo answered suddenly, “and if my father and the whole of South Korea require tangible proof to put this incredulity to rest, then so be it.”
 

He bravely proceeded to the elevators with Chanyeol and Sehun scrambling after him. 
 

“Jagiya.”  Chanyeol pulled on Kyungsoo’s arm.  “Let me go with you.”
 

“Hyung,” Sehun implored, catching up with them, “it would just be a simple extraction of blood and then a standard check-up if there is a fetus...” 
 

Chanyeol’s eyes flashed at him. 
 

Sehun shrank back.  “Besides, alphas aren’t allowed in the examination area, except in the delivery section.”
 

Chanyeol had to pay heed to this, shivering at the idea of being surrounded by howling newborns… 
 

The elevators opened.  Sehun went over to the nurses’ station and confirmed the appointment with the head doctor. 
 

Kyungsoo turned to his alpha in assurance.  “Nampyeon, I’ll be fine.  We just have to get this thing over with.” 
 

“Ani, this is just the beginning.  Didn’t your mother had us agreeing to a wedding ceremony in Seoul, too?” Chanyeol pointed out grimly, rubbing his temples.  “Your parents are going to push us over the edge.”
 

Worry now creased Kyungsoo’s forehead.  Was Chanyeol getting sick and tired of it?  A

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter