68: My Love That Is Forever (1)

My Love That Is Forever

“So D.O. shii please confer upon us your views of this auspicious occasion?”, Chanyeol asked in a dramatic tone, filming with his camera as he came up to Kyungsoo who was standing alone in the far corner of the hall, while the dance continued in the center.

“I’m really happy for Suho hyung”, He replied.

“Really? You don’t look so happy?”, Jongdae was obviously having a great day, trolling everyone. He was acting like the wedding hall was his natural habitat.

“We’ll let you pass if you do a little aegyo”, Chanyeol was still seriously filming.

“Don’t push your luck”, Kyungsoo deadpanned.

“Ahh, only a little D.O. yah!”, Junmyeon having had enough of the dancing, and clearly a little too much of the drinks too, came and slid an arm around Kyungsoo’s shoulders. “A little only! I’ll ask Joo to put in a good word for you with Wendy shii if you do!”

Kyungsoo sighed. His friends had been teasing him not so subtly for the past whole week ever since they’d found out they were back on talking terms. Even as her name left Junmyeon’s lips, Kyungsoo’s gaze flitted unbidden across the room to where she was standing, laughing about something that Yerim had just said with Joohyun standing nearby. Her long bridesmaids dress was a light blue and earlier during the ceremony, she’d looked so beautiful standing next to Joohyun, he had hardly been able to take his eyes off. And she looked happier too, which just added to her overall attractiveness so much more.

“Listen – “, Junmyeon whispered in his ear, suddenly coherent. “You know the back compound of the hotel? It’s reserved for our photoshoot later, but while we’re still busy, why don’t you…get busy too?”, He tilted his head suggestively towards where Seungwan was standing.

Kyungsoo swallowed, the sound of it appealing to him. “Would it be okay?”

Junmyeon slapped his shoulder, winking. “Of course. Just go out and wait, I’ll arrange for Wendy shii to get there”

Under normal circumstances, Kyungsoo would have refused and arranged to meet Seungwan on his own terms, but he wasn’t going to complain this time. God knew how much he’d been looking forward to this wedding, just so he could see and talk to her. And he hadn’t really been able to do that since the festivities started.

With a fluttering heartbeat, Kyungsoo started to walk towards the hall exit. He looked in Seungwan’s direction and their eyes met across the space for the third time that day. He smiled, she smiled back and he quickly walked ahead, full of anticipation.

As he reached the grass compound, he was immediately hit with how beautiful it looked. Spring was in full bloom, the array of flowers lining the ends of it, made it look surreal. But he had other things on his mind at that time. Deciding the place to be, he started pacing in front of the tree swing at one end.  

The velvet box in his pocket that he’s possessed for almost a week now felt heavy, and he wondered if he should bring it up. He didn’t know what had possessed him to go and buy it, but he had, the day after she’d called. Wasn’t he being too fast? What if she refused?

But what if she agrees? The thought alone was enough to get his nerves tingling. It had been a split second decision, bringing it with him, in case, in case, things turned out as he wanted them to. Because he’d waited far too long already.

After she’d called that first night a week ago, she’d called again every night except last night probably because she’d been busy with Joohyun. Every time her request had been the same, for him to sing. There were a thousand things they needed to discuss, and Kyungsoo had decided he would bring them up, but every time he heard her voice, he just deflated and did what she requested and so they hadn’t really talked about anything.

“Hi”, The sound made him jump, and he looked up to find Seungwan standing there.

“Hi”, He responded, releasing a held breath. He kept looking at her, drinking her in, trying to reconcile with the fact that she was actually there. She held his gaze for a while before looking away, a light blush coloring her cheeks.

“Y-You look beautiful”, He said, his heart beating hard.

She smiled, and Kyungsoo felt like the sun shined a little brighter. “Thanks. You look good too”

An awkward silence descended, and Kyungsoo felt like it was their first date (the real one) all over again.

“You never called last night?” He asked, remorseful of his sorry attempts at conversation. Is that the best you can do, dude?

“Yeah, I figured you’d be busy with Suho shii”, She replied like a deer in headlights and then hurriedly added. “And I was busy too, of course, not that I was saying that I wasn’t busy. I…uhh…actually wanted to call you but didn’t just because I thought you’d be – God, I’m blabbering!”, She chuckled nervously.

He smiled. “No, I was waiting for you to call too”

“Why – why didn’t you call instead?”, She asked, looking down as if she was ashamed of her question too.

That was a valid point. Why hadn’t he? “Because – “, he shrugged. “After everything, I just - I thought it would be asking for too much if I took the initiative”

She looked up, her eyes solemn. “You really think so?”

He swallowed, looking deeply into her eyes. “To be honest, I was just, I am, scared of losing you…..again”

“You don’t have to”, She shook her head, a wet gleam in her eyes. “Unless you want me to, I’m not going anywhere”

His heart stopped, and then started thudding so loudly he thought it was going to explode. “I never, ever want you to go away again. Never, no matter what the circumstances maybe”

“Really?”, She smiled wistfully..

“Really”, He gazed at her for a while. Now is as good a time as any, he fished out the box from his pocket and placed it in his hand in front of her without breaking eye contact.

He heard her catch her breath. “What….what is that?”

……………………………………………………………………………………………………….

“Open it”, Kyungsoo said with a soft smile, and she inched her hand forward willing for it to stop trembling.

She opened it, and the ring stood out like a giant. It was a simple square cut diamond, with two small sapphires on each side. She held her breath. “Is this – are you proposing?”, She asked with more confidence than she felt.

“It’s whatever you want it to be”, He replied, and her heart fluttered. “Take it as a proposal, or a gift or anything else you want to. It’s a promise, that I’ll never let you go again”, He stopped, and the world around her stopped too. “It’s me asking you to take a chance with me again, will you?”

She answered in a heartbeat. “I will”

When he finally put it on her finger and kissed her with the promise of all tomorrows, she felt like she’d never been more complete.

-----------------------------------------------------

A/N: Epilogue coming next!

I can't believe this is ending. It's been more than 2 years, wow!

Loads of thankyous guys!