21: If You Weren't The Most Beautiful Of Tortures

My Love That Is Forever

Taeyeon came back from the library that day, tired as ever. The adrenalin rush in the morning had certainly played a part, but she was genuinely happy. Hyuk had asked her to treat him for winning, and she said she gladly would just not that day.

She and Hyuk had become good friends not long ago when the guy had started working at the same library as her, and they’d discovered they studied at the same institution. She was glad to have made a friend since Hyuk was a great guy and they had developed a good work chemistry.

"What a day!", Taeyeon landed on her bed with a thud, turning on her cell only to see tons of notifications, mostly from people around the University congratulating her. She opened one that was of a group chat.

                               Lay_sheep added you to the group "Media Society"

Lay_sheep: Hello guys! So I've created this group including all the ex-members of the society as well, so that the new ones can easily interact and ask for our help with any problems. Though I'm sure you people won't need much J

Baeklight: Thanks for all the help hyung! I’m looking forward to a great year!

Bae_Suzy: We all are J

Baeklight: ;)

Real-PCY: HOLA AMIGOS!

ChenChen: What's with your username Chanyeol? Is there a fake PCY as well?

Real-PCY: Speak for yourself troll!

Suhorang: Xing I'm starting to question your love for animals....

Lay_sheep: What? Sheep are one of the friendliest animals. Did you know they are extremely intelligent, capable of problem solving and can remember up to 50 humans separately? Not to mention how caring they are towards their family and offspring?

Suhorang: What are you, a farmer?

ChenChen: Says the Olympic mascot!

Kyungsoo123: So if you're done discussing group names are we having a society meeting or something anytime soon?

Bae_Suzy: Where's Taeyeon sunbae though?

Baeklight: Probably sleeping somewhere. That's how she celebrates!

 Taeyeon sighed reading the last messages which were sent a few hours ago, before typing one of her own.

Taeyeon_ss: Hello everyone! I look forward to working with you all this year 🙂

Baeklight: Look who finally decided to show up!

Taeyeon rolled her eyes.

Taeyeon_ss: Well unlike you who has nothing to do but sit on his sorry all day, some of us actually have to work!

Taeyeon responded with the first retort that came to her mind and then regretted it. She still didn't understand where her mature, patient attitude went when it came to him.

Baeklight: Hey! My is not sorry! It's pretty nice tbh ;)

Real-PCY: Agreed, hehe.

Taeyeon_ss: Oh God, kill me now.

Baekhyun smiled triumphantly at her irritated response, strangely relieved seeing her reply at last. Why does she work though? Did her Dad go bankrupt or something? The Taeyeon he knew had been no less than a princess living in a mansion with all comforts of life provided to her without her even moving a finger. He made a mental note of finding out about it.

Baeklight: Where do you work?

Taeyeon_ss: How is that any of your business?

Baeklight: Well I hope you won't be ignoring your responsibilities as co-president because of your 'work'!

Taeyeon seethed. Who is he to tell me that?!

Taeyeon_ss: I can manage alright! You don't need to be concerned, thankyou very much!

Shut up and get lost in other words.....

Baeklight: You're welcome :) Just know you always have the option of stepping down!

This guy seriously!

Taeyeon_ss: You wish!

Lay_sheep: She works as a librarian @baeklight.

Taeyeon_ss: Lay!!!

Baekhyun smirked. Which library though....

Lay_sheep: Why do you two keep fighting like kids?

Baeklight: I keep asking her the same thing hyung! She just hates me for some reason.

Kyungsoo123: Can we plz get serious here? I’m leaving this group....

Lay_sheep: No @Kyungsoo123! Yes, we will be having a society meeting. Is Monday okay with you all? Suho and I should officially hand over the charge to you people, so that you people can start working on the Winter Dance theme and preparations.

XiuBao-Zi: Excited!

Lay_sheep: J

Taeyeon_ss: Yes Lay, Monday sounds good to me.

Baeklight: Me too!

_

Baekhyun sprinted to the conference room which Yixing had messaged them to be at. He was late, having gotten held up by a few his female class fellows who took their sweet time congratulating him. He also didn't mind flirting with them, only realizing he was late when it was already 15 minutes past the given time.

"I am sorry for being late, I got held up!", Baekhyun apologized as soon as he entered, and then stopped to catch his breath. All of them were already seated around the roundtable, some killing time on their cellphones while some like Taeyeon just sighing in frustration, checking their watch every thirty seconds and cursing the jerk who was late.

"You do realize I have a job to get to after uni, right? I can't believe you just wasted twenty minutes of my precious time!" Taeyeon snapped, glaring at him, triggered by his careless attitude.

"If you're in such a hurry why don't you just leave huh? I am pretty sure we can manage without you!", Baekhyun retorted eyeing her, the exhaustion and her lashing out at him didn't mix well. The witch always has her temper on her sleeve! The rest of them just looked between the two of them, half shaking their head in dread of the brawl that was most probably on its way.

Taeyeon folded her arms on her chest, seething. "Don't try and make this about me Baekhyun! You're the one who's late!"

"And I already AP-O-LO-GIZED, did I not?", Baekhyun retorted stressing each syllable.

"And you think that makes it Okay? Being the irresponsible imbecile I know you to be, I can say for sure that this isn't the last time this is happening!"

"What did you just call me?", Baekhyun scoffed in disbelief. "And being the raging drama queen, I know you to be, I can tell this isn’t the first time you are overly over-reacting on a such a small matter and I am not sure a mentally unstable person like you is fit to preside over this society!"

"How dare you-", Taeyeon was cutt-off by Yixing standing up and banging his hands on the table, which made them all jump.

"Enough!", Yixing looked done. "What is wrong with you two, really?! I thought they were pointless rumors but I’m starting to believe that the people are right in saying the Media Society is going to be a flop this year because the co- presidents are 5-year-old idiots who can't even show each other basic courtesy let alone work together!"

Taeyeon and Baekhyun were both dumbfounded, along with the rest of them. It wasn't every day that Yixing actually lost his patience. Junmyeon got up and gave a light meaningful squeeze to Yixing's shoulder, which calmed the latter a bit.

What the hell am I doing! Taeyeon felt ashamed of herself, and her head instinctively hung low. No matter how irritating he might be, she was supposed to be the older one, the mature one there. After the hard work she had put in becoming President, how could she let a moron like Baekhyun destroy it all for her?

"W-we're sorry hyung", Baekhyun lowered his head, regretfully. No matter how much he liked to play around with Taeyeon, she sure wasn't worth losing his image in front of his friends to him, neither a position he was passionate about.

"You're right, Lay. We’ve been acting really childishly", Taeyeon apologized.

"Yeah!", Yixing breathed out.

"Any way, let's not waste any more time and get to work!", Chanyeol tried to lighten the air by changing the topic. Baekhyun went and took a seat he had spotted next to Suzy, whereas Taeyeon sat back in her seat between Junmyeon and Chanyeol.

"So first things first", Yixing sat down back in his chair. "The two of you will be presiding over the next meeting, we the ex-members won't be here. I officially hand the charge over to you people as of now"

Baekhyun and Taeyeon smiled bleakly, still feeling guilty. They went on to discuss finances and data collection for the society and who was going to handle what at a time. Both Baekhyun and Taeyeon found themselves getting more engrossed in the work even managing to give each other suggestions here and there, almost like they hadn't fought.

"Oh and you two still haven't treated us for winning! When will that be?", Jongdae demanded as they got up to leave.

"Well.....didn't we celebrate on Friday? It was a treat", Baekhyun reminded, half-shrugging.

"But that was from me, not you", Junmyeon stated plainly.

"How about this Friday, before Yixing leaves for China for the weekend?", Minseok suggested.

"Actually I think that's a great idea! It's the day between both your birthdays! We can celebrate them together!", Yixing looked up from Baekhyun and Taeyeon’s application profiles in his hand, from where he had discovered that his two friends had their birthdays only a day apart.

"What? No!", Baekhyun and Taeyeon spoke in defiance. They both realized their mistake pretty quickly that it wasn't exactly the right moment to start yet another argument after the reprove they had just received from Yixing, seeing as all their friends were looking at them now with serious expressions, dreading the start of another fight.

"What I mean is.....", Baekhyun chuckled to lighten the mood, trying to find the right words.

Taeyeon thought about it for a moment before speaking. "Sure why not"

Baekhyun whipped his head harshly towards her, surprised. What is she thinking....

"Really?", Chanyeol asked as the rest of them eyed her dubiously.

"Yeah I mean you said so yourself right, Lay?", Taeyeon looked towards him.  "People are talking bull so celebrating together might help to drive off some circulating suspicions regarding our relationship" Taeyeon knew she had to think sensibly about this for once, without getting hot headed with emotions. And as much as he hated to admit it, Baekhyun knew she had a point.

"Yeah I guess....it can't hurt to try", Baekhyun shrugged uncertainly.

"Wisest thing you both have suggested all afternoon!", Yixing smiled at them and they both tried to smile back convincingly.

I can go through the torture of a few hours with him right? It can't be that hard, Taeyeon thought.

It's not like it's going to be my actual birth'day' anyway, so why not use this to my advantage? Baekhyun mused to himself. He turned to look at Taeyeon who he caught already looking at him with an unreadable expression. He decided to he should talk things over with her, it was long overdue, but his wants were left in the lurch as he watched her collect her things and walk out with Yixing without sparing him a glance.

Baekhyun sighed and they all started to walk out in groups discussing different things. He smiled meaningfully as he spotted Suzy a little ahead of him in the hallway just as he was bidding goodbye to his friends.

"Hi there!", Baekhyun jogged up to her just as she parted after briefly talking to Yixing and Taeyeon.

"Hi", Suzy raised her eyebrows at him. "How are you?"

"Fine as ever"

"Really? I thought you might be a little upset after you know....your fight with Taeyeon sunbae back there"

"Nah, it's a normal thing for me nowadays", Baekhyun shrugged it away non-chalantly.

"You know her well huh?"

"Umm not really...." Not anymore I guess...."We used to be friends back in High School but we kind of fought about something and fell apart so..." Baekhyun told her truthfully, well half the truth anyway.

"What kind of fight?", she couldn't help asking.

"Just something really lame..."Baekhyun wasn't sure what to tell her. "Why are we talking about her again?" He turned her head towards her, trying to change the topic.

"What would you rather talk about?", Suzy raised her eyebrows as they both stopped walking and faced each other.

"Something more....interesting" Baekhyun smirked as he flirtatiously took a few steps until he was practically inches away from her.

"Like what for example?" Suzy asked in the same suggestive tone.

"Like....", Baekhyun leaned his face closer to her's until they were inches away.

Suzy smiled, and took a few steps back leaving him in the lurch. Baekhyun smirked as she pulled away, She sure knows how to keep a man interested.

"My cousin's throwing a party for his birthday at a club downtown, wanna join me?" She asked, raising her right brow.

"Sure why n-", Baekhyun's answer was interrupted by a yelp which they turned to look came from near the entrance of the building.

"Isn't that Taeyeon sunbae?", Suzy was surprised seeing Taeyeon crouched over her foot there, her face scrunched up in pain.

Concern flitted over Baekhyun's eyes as he noticed the same and jogged to her side, Suzy following close behind.

"What happened?", He asked bending down closer to Taeyeon, trying his best to sound as indifferent as possible.

Taeyeon looked up to find the bane of her existence staring at her, wincing a little. "Nothing, I slipped while running"

"Well, haste makes waste", Baekhyun shrugged trying to appear unconcerned as he bent down to touch her foot. She flinched as he attempted to straighten it, biting down her lip.

"It's sprained isn't it?", came Suzy's voice.

"Yeah, looks like it", Baekhyun announced uncertainly, impressed she was holding up so well despite the pain he knew she must be feeling. Most girls would be crying and wreaking havoc if they were in her condition.

Taeyeon sighed, mentally slapping herself for her clumsiness. "I really don't have time for this" She tried to get up.

"Whoa! What do you think you're doing?", Baekhyun instinctively reached out to give her a hand which she ignored, and got up barely sporting herself on one leg.

"I need to get to my job, I'm far too late already", Taeyeon glanced at her watch impatiently.

"What, in this state? No you're not! We should get you to the hospital and get this checked first, what if its fractured?", Baekhyun couldn't help himself from sounding concerned. Is she seriously more worried about her job right now?

Taeyeon looked up at him. "No thanks I can manage for a few hours, it's mostly table work anyway", She was going to have to ask Hyuk and the other librarian to take out and put the books.

Baekhyun caught her hand just as she turned towards the entrance. "Are you serious right now?"

"Yes, Baekhyun" Taeyeon eyed him firmly brushing his hand away. Why is he pretending to be worried? "I’m not a baby okay? I can manage"

"Baekhyun's right sunbae, you should get this checked first", Suzy said from beside her.

"I will, once I’m done with some work. Thanks for the help though", She gave one last look to both of them and started limping away, only to fall back down wincing as the pain sharpened.

What a stubborn girl! Baekhyun gritted his teeth and flinched seeing her fall down again. He rushed to her side again "Still think you can manage?"

Taeyeon turned to look at him sharply, feeling agitated. I must look like such a damsel in distress to him! She seethed, hating that she appeared so vulnerable when she really wasn't. But she knew Baekhyun was right, she wouldn't even be able to hail a taxi in her condition. I wish Yixing was here....She would have called him but seeing as he had just left with Junmyeon for his own society meeting, it didn't feel right to disturb him. Seungwan and Soojung had probably just reached back home, she would give them sometime before asking one of them to pick her up from the library.

"Mind giving me a ride?", Taeyeon asked Suzy, looking away from Baekhyun. She would much rather ask anyone else for help as long as it wasn't him.

"I would but....", Suzy looked away sheepishly at Taeyeon, from her phone which had been buzzing for the several minutes. "I have an.....appointment to attend to urgently"

Appointment? Baekhyun was amused at her choice of words. Guess girls and boys alike were scared of refusing Taeyeon straight to her face.

"I am sorry", Suzy looked down.

"It's okay", Taeyeon gave her a small smile. Oh how she hated herself right now for being a bother.

"Baekhyun can take you, right Baekhyun?", Suzy asked. Baekhyun rolled his eyes. I would but would it kill her to ask....

Taeyeon looked up at Baekhyun who was staring into the distance, and tapping his foot impatiently on the floor. She sighed. I guess I really have no other choice....

Suzy leaned in to whisper in Baekhyun's ear. "You don't really mind, do you? I’m still not used to being around her and my cousins are getting really impatient. I'll text you the address of the club, join me later once you're done.....here" Baekhyun gave her a flirtatious smile, before Suzy leaned back from his face. Taeyeon knitted her eyebrows seeing the exchange happen. Whatever, she didn't care.

"Well I guess I'll leave you two to it, See you later sunbae. Take care!", Suzy gave Taeyeon's shoulder a light squeeze before sprinting away.

"Shall we?", Baekhyun asked Taeyeon, tone dripping with sarcasm and Taeyeon resisted the urge to roll her eyes, trying hard not to wince at the pain that was intensifying by the second.

--------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: A satisfactory chapter I hope? I actually enjoyed writing it, which isn't very often. Baek-Tae arc is gonna get more interesting now.

Do leave comments. Thankyou for reading!