42: Ponds And Peers

My Love That Is Forever

"God, I'm freezing!", Jongdae shivered, sniffing for the umpteenth time in the past minute to keep his nose from running as they stepped along the trail.

They had left for their first outdoor activity at 9:00 that morning, the location being Dutayeon Pond. After getting the entrance application process done at the Information Centre, most of them had chosen to cycle to the start of the trekking course with Jongdae and Chanyeol being their normal mischievous selves and trying to run over the ones with less than sharp bicycling skills, like Soojung and Suzy, leading to shrieks here and there. Baekhyun was trying to be his lost puppy self as well, staying behind Taeyeon at all times, making the girl anxiously look over her shoulder every other minute.

Yixing divided the seventy of them into ten groups once they had reached the start of the trail, each with a trekking guide and they had started. Jongin had managed to get Soojung and Taeyeon in their group somehow, along with Luna and Miyoung.

"How much longer till the pond?", Baekhyun asked their tour guide and he just pointed ahead. It wasn't that he wasn't enjoying it, the scenery was every bit as beautiful as he had heard it was but it was extremely cold even with the sun out and Baekhyun's brain was starting to freeze. Maybe that was why he kept giving Taeyeon warm smiles every time their eyes met, completely oblivious to how disconcerted she looked in response.

"Here we are, wow!", Junmyeon's exclamation diverted their attention ahead, and the scene beyond was breath-taking. The stream ran on each side of a wooden suspension bridge and the forest and rocks around and in the background provided a spectacular scenery.

"It's beautiful", Taeyeon's voice broke Baekhyun out of his awe-struck phase and he looked towards her. "It truly is", He agreed and Taeyeon turned to give him a look, a little taken aback, before she moved to take pictures with her friends.

After enough pictures had been taken and they had all fully basked in all of the scenery, they moved along the trek to the area where simulations landmines were located. Naturally, Jongdae and Chanyeol seemed to have found their home ground, Yixing and Soojung joining in later as they made it their utmost priority to creep up on anyone who was trying to walk with caution as to not set the simulations off, leading to loud booms echoing a second later, almost sending the poor victim into cardiac arrest and then laughing maniacally about it.

Jongin shrieked like nothing else and then latched onto Soojung, to which the latter responded by thrashing and yanking away furiously, Jongin was only so happy to let her go with a smirk, seeing as he had gotten his revenge.

Baekhyun wasn't feeling too much like it, so he just chose to walk behind Taeyeon who seemed to not want to get involved in the loud mess. That did not stop Yixing from discovering them though, and as Taeyeon squealed and jumped back in surprise, and Baekhyun moved in time to hold her, preventing her from falling backwards.

"You okay?", he asked a wide-eyed Taeyeon. She blinked, breathing heavily for a few seconds before finally telling him she was fine.

"Smile!", A few flashes of light revealed Jongdae with a polaroid camera, snapping their pictures and they realized their proximity almost simultaneously in horror, trying to separate too quickly leading to another fake landmine going off and then latching onto each other again.

Baekhyun's heart almost came flying out of his chest seeing her face, reminded of the last time he had seen it so up close and personal though it was scrunched up in fright this time. Once she opened her eyes, her expressions softened. It was the first time she had actually properly looked at him that day, and Baekhyun couldn't help but get lost in her eyes.

Gulping down they both separated awkwardly, before each of them caught sight of Jongdae in the distance, and set-off after him to get the pictures.

..........................................................

They had visited the Punchbowl at Haean Basin followed by Eulji Observatory just before it closed and then returned back to the hotel for the evening. Some of them had retired to spending the evening in their rooms, after the day's activites while some had gone into the city to look around the area some more.

After resting for an hour or so, Taeyeon and Soojung had felt the need to go out themselves and since a visit to the shopping and eating centers wasn't on official schedule of the trip, they had settled to take Yixing with them to check out some of them in the vicinity. They had run into Hyuk just as they leaving the hotel and he had asked if he could join them as well.

They had made a stop to look at some exhibits at a museum that was open, on their way and had then gone on to playing random games at an indoor video station.

...............................................................

Baekhyun tried not to seeth as he looked through his binoculars at the laughing group ahead.

"It's my turn, hyung!", Jongin whispered loudly from his side, to which he only raised a hand to silence him, not tearing his eyes away from the scene ahead.

Baekhyun had spotted Taeyeon leaving with the others as he had come down to the hotel lobby after resting and had met Jongin there. Seeing as the two people of their interests were going out, they had naturally followed and tried to maintain an amiable distance from them in order to not get noticed.

It would be a lie to say he wasn't bothered seeing Taeyeon laugh so happily and freely with Hyuk, though he tried not to give way to his inner demons like he once had before. The binoculars were a blessing and Baekhyun had to commend Jongin for having enough presence of mind to bring them, though it didn't help that he couldn't hear what the four people were talking about.

"Give it to me!", Jongin whined again and Baekhyun turned to glare at him in irritation before handing the binoculars to him as they sat behind the large computer screens, apparently playing games.

Jongin's lips pursed soon as he looked through them, and Baekhyun figured he wasn't too pleased either. The four of them were playing electronic basketball now, and it seemed to be Soojung's turn.

"Since when did Yixing hyung become so good at basketball?", Jongin asked in a harsh tone and Baekhyun looked to see Yixing teaching Soojung how to throw it properly with her hands and rolled his eyes.

"Oh, stop it, Jongin. It's not like you’re in any danger from Yixing hyung", The guy was a saint for the lack of a better word and wouldn't even dream of taking away a friend's girl. "Besides, he and Soojung have been friends for so long"

"Well, right back at you! Hyuk hyung seems tamer than a sheep, why are you worried then?", Jongin retorted. Baekhyun only made a face at his remark.

"We really need to up our games", Jongin remarked, several minutes later as they saw the tetra-pack leaving the hall.

"You bet we do", Baekhyun narrowed his eyes through the binoculars at Taeyeon, the wheels in his head already turning to make plans.

_

Baeklight: Taeyeon?

Taeyeon frowned seeing the message from him, wondering what was up with him at that time of the night.

Taeyeon_ss: Yes?

Baeklight: Are you still awake?

Taeyeon_ss: Obviously, since I'm answering

He didn't reply for the next few minutes and Taeyeon wondered if she had been too snappish. The guy had been acting weird since….well forever.

Baeklight: I wanted to ask you something?

Taeyeon_ss: What?

Baeklight: Would you go with me to look at my grandparent's house tomorrow after we return from the trip schedule?

Taeyeon_ss: Why? Isn't Yixing going with you?

Baeklight: Yeah, err, he can't. Said he had some other things to do and since tomorrow is the only day I can visit, I was wondering if you would take his place?

Taeyeon_ss: Why?

Baeklight: Why what?

Taeyeon_ss:  Why can't you go alone? Why do you need someone to go with you and that too me?

Baeklight: Uhh, to keep company?

Taeyeon_ss: Lame

Baeklight: So, will you go? Pretty please with cherries on top?

Taeyeon thought about it for a moment. Despite all that had gone on between them these past few weeks, she couldn't find it in herself to say no. Maybe you're warming up to him, a voice ran through her head and she flinched. Of course not! But she realized it couldn't hurt to spend some time with him. It would help to test the butterflies that she was sure had disappeared and also maybe she would be able to figure out why he was acting all weirdly nice.

Taeyeon_ss: Fine

Baeklight: It's a date!

Taeyeon's face flared up.

Taeyeon_ss: In your dreams!

Taeyeon_ss: *nightmares

Baeklight: Haha, goodnight Taengoo!

Taeyeon_ss: Shut up.

_

 

Kyungsoo had had a restless sleep that night. He woke up in the morning, feeling groggy and grumpy, not to mention alone in the empty house now that Mrs. Do and Jongin weren't there.

He had thought a lot about how his meeting with Kim Minjun, and something about it all didn't make sense. It was obviously beyond strange that he had asked him to marry his daughter, but Kyungsoo had an itch, like there was another thing he was missing in the whole scenario. He would have asked his mother, but he didn't want to bother her while she was away, when he could deal with it on his own.

Not wanting to spend his Sunday alone, he had decided to visit Seungwan. He had last visited her on Friday, after everyone had left and she had assured him she was perfectly fine now that it had been a few days since she was discharged and that he didn't need to keep coming back to keep an eye on her.

That didn't stop Kyungsoo from wanting to spend all his time with her though. He had actually planned on visiting her the day before, after he was done meeting with the CEO but he had been so disoriented afterwards, going over everything in the office related to the loan, that he had forgotten.

........................................................

Seungwan was bored. Even though she had told Kyungsoo to not worry since he clearly had better things to do, she couldn't deny the fact that she was missing him. Along with everyone else who was gone, while she was stuck there with stiches on her belly.

If only she had gone to the hospital on time, she could've been with them on the trip, enjoying the scenery in Yanguu. Seeing as she had no other choice since she was stuck there, she went on to getting things in order. The good thing about having so much time on her hands was that she got a lot of pending homework done. She had revised the whole presentation she, Kyungsoo and Soojung were going to present in early February, that had been finalized by their supervisor and also got a heads up on a few essays she had to write.

The bad thing about having so much time on her hands was that it was that half-way through Saturday she realized she had nothing else to do. Dramas and movies followed, and she called up Taeyeon and Soojung in the evening to ask how they were doing, but they must have been busy since they told her they were out playing games and she didn't want to hold them up for too long.

She had woken up on Sunday, feeling much more fresh and hungry than she'd been in days. Showering, she had gone downstairs only to realize it was just nine in the morning. Groaning to herself, she had grabbed a book and an apple to try and kill sometime and laziness before she got herself some cereals and milk for breakfast. Midway through eating it, she lost her patience and appetite and proceeded to call Kyungsoo.

After ringing three times, the line got cut-off and she tried not to feel sad about it. He must be busy, she figured looking at clock that told her it was only nine o' clock. The bell rang just as she was putting her left-over cereal away.

She barely controlled her happiness on opening the door and discovering Kyungsoo standing there holding a bouquet of gerbera daisies, the temperature pretty cold despite the sun coming out.

"Hi!", He breathed with a smile, looking chilled.

"Hi, come in", Seungwan barely prevented herself from grinning like an idiot as he came and the door closed behind him.

Taking his black navy overcoat off, he quickly gave her the bouquet which she accepted, and then asked her about how she'd been.

"Fine really, why daisies though?", Seungwan wondered out loud, looking at the bouquet curiously.

"Umm, to cheer you up?", Kyungsoo asked rhetorically as they moved into the living room from the foyer. "They partly mean cheerfulness"

"Thanks, well", Smiling to herself, she went on to find a vase to put them somewhere she could see them all the time.

"Is that what you had for breakfast?", Kyungsoo pointed to her half-eaten bowl of cereal.

"Err, yeah", She replied sheepishly, knowing a lecture on how she needs to eat well after surgery was coming.

He gave her a solemn look before moving on into the kitchen. Seungwan tried not to get too distracted when he folded the sleeves of his brown turtleneck up, the muscles underneath showing and then went on to wear an apron and start working.

15 minutes later, they were both seated in the living room in front of the TV, plates of freshly cooked bacon and eggs in their plates. Seungwan‘s appetite had returned soon as the aroma of Kyungsoo's cooking had reached her nose.

"How do these people even call themselves human?", Seungwan had stumbled upon a news report while surfing through channels and she found herself getting appalled hearing the news about a loan shark, who black-mailed and attempted to murder the debtor when the poor guy asked for a little more time to pay him back.

Kyungsoo looked up, and his face darkened seeing the news playing on TV.

Seungwan clicked her tongue, shaking her head as she reverted back to eating, only noticing Kyungsoo sitting there solemnly, after a few minutes had passed. "Why aren't you eating?"

"Huh?", Kyungsoo broke out of his reverie and then smiled painstakingly at her. "I lost my appetite"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: A long chapter. Hope you all like it. I'm slowly moving towards the revelation of Baekhyun and Taeyeon's past, hope you people will anticipate it.

Do comment and let me know what you thought of the chapter. 

Thankyou for reading!