22: A Forgotten Dream

My Love That Is Forever

"Sweet dreams, Taeyeon"

Baekhyun kissed Taeyeon's forehead and took a few steps back from her sleeping form, immediately scolding himself for getting too immersed in emotions and doing what he did. But as he looked at her and the tear tracks on her face, something inside him clenched, for reasons he didn't wish to ponder. She had fallen asleep on the couch in her lounge as they had sat there talking for a while, when Baekhyun came to drop her off after the Christmas celebrations at his house. His family had enthusiastically agreed to having her for dinner that Christmas, when Baekhyun had asked them. He had thought it would be good to invite her since he did owe her for teaching him. But mainly because he didn't like the idea of her being alone on such a day. They had become good friends in the past months. Or maybe more, but that was a topic Baekhyun always avoided thinking about.

Taeyeon had agreed to it, since her aunt and cousins had gone out of city to their relatives that Christmas and she had no one else to celebrate with. Her father wasn't coming home this Christmas, he had called to cancel only two days earlier, citing his busy schedule as the reason. She knew he had another family to be with, but he always came on Christmas, even if it was for a few hours, before flying back.

"It's Okay", She had smiled as she had said over the phone to him, trying hard to swallow the lump in and the tears that threatened to spill. He was still her father and she still loved him, so she had tried to understand.

She had broken down as they had reached her house, when Baekhyun came out to see her till the door and she had thanked him for the good time she had with a smile that didn't reach her eyes. Baekhyun had known something was wrong ever since he saw her in the evening, as she kept zoning out during dinner.

"He didn't even call today", She had professed to him as she plopped down on the sofa, looking into the distance with blurry eyes. "I received his gift with a card yesterday, but I still hoped he would call today since he couldn't make it this time"

Baekhyun wanted to tell her he understood, but how would that make her feel better? He wished he could take away the pain she was feeling, even only a little.

"Do I really mean nothing to him? Has he forgotten he has a daughter here too?", She had asked out loud what she had wondered for so long now, with tears running down her cheeks. He had felt a tightening in his chest, which he always, always convinced himself was because she was a good friend.

 Taeyeon didn't know how or when it had happened, but she had started trusting Baekhyun, enough to confide in him with these feelings that she hardly disclosed even to herself.

"It's Okay. It will get better", He had tried to console while hugging her, his hands tracing comforting circles on her back. She had cried into his shoulder taking in the solace it provided, before she let the peaceful drowsiness take over her. Baekhyun had taken her to her room before informing the house manager ahjumma that he was leaving.

Taeyeon woke up with a start, still feeling a little dreamy. Where am I? was the first thought that ran through her mind. She looked around taking in her surroundings before looking over to the table clock that told her it was 01:04 in the morning. She looked to the other bed to a sleeping Seungwan and slowly got up as the day's events made their way back into her brain.

She checked her cell, having received several concern-filled messages from Hyuk as to why she hadn't made it to the library, to which she replied apologizing to him for being a bother and telling him she only had a slight ankle sprain. Yixing had messaged her too only around midnight, apologizing as he had been busy and had only found out about her 'accident' when he reached the dorm late at night. He had some errands to run as he was leaving for China that weekend. Yixing’s mother was Chinese, and though he’d lived in Korea during his teenage years, he’d been born in China and once he’d finished high school both his parents had moved back to China while he completed his studies here.

Taeyeon brushed his concerns off, telling him she would see him tomorrow. She got up from her bed feeling hungry, her ankle hurting quite less than earlier. She slowly made her way down the stairs with the help of the crutches she had found on the side of her bed, wondering how they had managed to bring her up to her bedroom and also why Baekhyun had not woken her up when she fell asleep in his car.

She made a ham and egg sandwich and settled with it and her phone on the living room couch. She sighed upon opening the Media Society group chat and discovering that her ankle injury had been the hot topic for the past few hours and everybody was concerned.

Taeyeon_ss: I am perfectly fine, sorry for worrying you guys. Will see you all tomorrow 🙂

…………………………………………………….

Baekhyun had woken up only three hours after he’d gone to sleep, from a dream that had been more or less a memory, and was having a hard time going back to sleep. Why he had suddenly dreamt about it, he didn't know. Probably because I spent a lot of time with her today, he told himself.

Not feeling like going out, He had decided to call it an early night after he apologized to Suzy for not being able to join her at the party.

He was playing games on his mobile, hoping it would lull him back to sleep when Taeyeon had messaged in the group.

Baeklight: What are you doing up this late?

He couldn't help the feeling of concern that took over him. I hope the injury isn't bothering her too much....

Taeyeon_ss: I could ask you the same question?

Baeklight: Well, I asked first!

Real-PCY: Can you guys plz take your lover's quarrel elsewhere? People are trying to sleep here!

Chanyeol snapped at them, and Taeyeon realized they might be dinging other people’s phones with the notifications.

Taeyeon_ss: Sorry! Go back to sleep! Goodnight!

Baekhyun quickly opened a personal message box and typed in the message to her.

Baeklight: So what are you doing up?

Taeyeon rolled her eyes.

Taeyeon_ss: Why do you care?

 Baekhyun sulked. Would she have cramps if she answers simply?

Baeklight: Just asking like any other person would. Why are you so grumpy all the time?

Taeyeon: *rolls eyes* I have a stomach you know, that demands food every few hours. And I have been sleeping since well....maybe you could tell me that?

Baeklight: Since around half past 5, I guess.

Baekhyun replied without thinking, and then realized he was in trouble.

Taeyeon_ss: Why didn't you wake me? And how did I end up in my room?

He knew she was going to be mad no matter what he said so he answered truthfully.

Baeklight: Well you looked like you could use some rest. So I simply took you to your house. Would you have preferred to remain asleep in my car?

Taeyeon seethed feeling a little tongue-tied. She would have preferred if he had just woken her up and dropped her at the library but he was right, she did feel better after resting.

Taeyeon_ss: No.....

She thought for a few moments before typing in the next text. She made a mental note to ask Seungwan for the whole story tomorrow.

Taeyeon_ss: Well thanks anyway.

Gotta give credit where it's due, she thought to herself.

Baekhyun was a little surprised, but then grinned toothily.

Baeklight: Did you just by any chance, thank me? 😀

Taeyeon_ss: Stop grinning. You look like an idiot.

She could tell without having to see him that he must have a smirk on.

Baeklight: Aww.....You know me so well 😀

Taeyeon_ss: As if that isn't the most obvious thing in the world.

She finished her sandwich and then reached for the glass of milk before asking:

Taeyeon_ss: So why can't you sleep?

Baeklight: Bad dream?

He didn't know if it was bad or a dream though.

"Sweet Dreams, Taeyeon" ran through Taeyeon's mind like a flash and she closed her eyes, half feeling like she had heard somebody say that to her.

Taeyeon_ss: Well drinking milk helps.

Baeklight: *rolls eyes* What am I? Ten?

Taeyeon_ss: Tch tch tch, you think milk is only for kids? I feel sorry for your bones that are going to run out of their calcium as soon as you turn 50.

Baeklight: LOL! What are you, a nutritionist by night?

Taeyeon_ss: Whatever....

Baeklight: You're drinking milk right now, aren't you?

(Taeyeon_ss has logged out)

Baekhyun laughed. She's cute. Maybe she hadn't changed as much as he had thought.

_

 

"I am fine seriously, would you guys quit looking at me like that?", Taeyeon was getting irritated by the concerned looks everybody had been giving her since morning. Mrs. Son had woken her up as she had fallen asleep on the couch, after getting some University work done that night and she had been retelling the same thing to everyone who saw her walking with crutches, over and over again since then.

Hyuk was the first one who found her when she reached the university, followed by Yixing and now she was sitting in the Humanities Building with them, after Soojung and Seungwan had gone off to their class.

Baekhyun spotted Taeyeon as soon as he got done with his first class that morning, and came out with Chanyeol. He could see the expression on her face as she tried to explain something, probably the story of her condition, to a group of people around her which included Junmyeon, Minseok and Jongdae.

"Hi there! Oh My God! What happened?", Yuri, a good friend of Taeyeon's from the Arts department asked feigning a dramatic expression as she approached along with two others.

"Stop trolling her Yuri", Tiffany, one of the two accompanying Yuri, nudged the girl. Clearly Yuri didn't want to let teasing her go, seeing as Taeyeon looked like she would cry if one more person asked her about the crutches and plaster.

"I'll see you at the library then?", Hyuk said as he took his leave and Taeyeon smiled back politely.

"Hi everyone!", Baekhyun and Chanyeol greeted as they approached, Baekhyun stifling a yawn with a stretch and wincing almost immediately.

"You good bro?", Yixing asked, eyeing Baekhyun. 

"Yeah, it's just a slight backache", Baekhyun replied, pretending to stretch. Then he had an idea. "I had to carry someone who weighed like a ton up the stairs yesterday, my back didn't take that well I guess", Baekhyun teased, sending a mischievous glance in Taeyeon's direction.

Taeyeon glared at him. "Really, Baekhyun? Isn't it because you're such a weakling with no bone mass whatsoever?"

"My bone mass is just fine Miss Nutritionist by Night, it's you who should keep tabs on her weight", Baekhyun retorted. Taeyeon seethed inside as she took hold of her crutches but didn't let his words get to her. She had promised herself after their fight during the society meeting, that she wasn't going to lose her patience anymore because of Baekhyun, especially in front of their friends. They were adults and should start acting accordingly.

"Drink milk hmm? I heard it helps - Oww", Taeyeon stumbled her crutches slipping, just as she mockingly crossed Baekhyun, but he gripped her forearm just in time as the rest of them watched, startled.

"You okay?", The haughty look on Baekhyun's face got replaced by concern. "Can't you be a little more careful?" Taeyeon scowled looking up at him, taking her arm out of his grasp.

"I am careful, okay? Somebody spilt water here I think", She eyed the floor where her crutches had slipped.

Taeyeon moved on after giving one last look to Yixing, who was talking in hushed whispers to slightly pertubed-looking Junmyeon. Yixing smirked at Baekhyun and then at her, and back at him again, as Junmyeon still whispered half-willingly in his ear. Taeyeon frowned, wondering what their topic of discussion was, but waved at Yixing anyhow, telling him she would catch up with him in class.

_

 

"Hello hyungs!", Jongin greeted as he entered the building with Kyungsoo, upon spotting his friends.

"To what do we owe the pleasure of your company?", Chanyeol asked mockingly as Jongin left his embrace.

"I came to congratulate Baekhyun hyung for winning! Sorry for not being able to earlier, been busy practicing for the dance recital", Jongin apologized.

"Yeah, how's that coming along?", Baekhyun asked as he took the packet chips Jongdae was holding without any preambles or clarifications.

"Just...fine", He shrugged. "Anyways I'm so happy for you hyung! I don't remember when was the last time I felt this proud of any of you"

Baekhyun narrowed his eyes at him. "Is that supposed to be a compliment?"

Jongin chuckled. "Of course it is! Where's my treat though?"

"Didn't I make you fried chicken on the weekend? That was the treat", Kyungsoo dead-panned.

"No it wasn't! I am not that cheaply satisfied", Jongin rolled his eyes before looking over to Baekhyun mischievously. "I was thinking some partying, a little drinking and girls?"

Kyungsoo smacked his brother's head. "How many days has it been since you turned eighteen? Focus on your studying. Girls can wait"

Jongin glared at his brother rubbing the back of his head. "And what would you recommend as the right time to start dating, forty?!", he seethed. The rest of them laughed.

"That's still too early for him Jongin! He'll probably start in retirement home!", Chanyeol teased with a chuckle and Kyungsoo just shook his head in irritation.

"LOL, Imagine Kyungsoo singing "What's wrong with my age" with a grey-haired Seungwan in the retirement home lounge. Hilarious!", Jongdae mocked, and they all cackled.

Kyungsoo sighed. "Anyways, I'm getting late, gotta go work on my presentation. Jongin just go home after this, okay?"

Jongin nodded absentmindedly as Kyungsoo went off, before turning towards his older friends again. They talked about random stuff as they walked out of the building before the topic of treat came up again.

"Actually, why don't you join us at the karaoke tomorrow? BaekYeon are giving us treat there", Minseok offered, looking towards others who nodded their heads in approval.

"What's ‘Baekyeon’?", Jongin asked and they all exchanged smirks, except Baekhyun who looked like he was on the verge of losing his patience, hearing the couple name they had been teasing him with since yesterday.

"You remember Taeyeon sunbae? Kim Taeyeon?", Jongdae tried to remind Jongin.

"Of course”, Jongin didn’t know everything obviously. But Baekhyun thought he already knew enough.

"She's the co-president with Baekhyun and they are treating us together tomorrow. You can guess the rest"

Jongin’s mouth made an ‘o’ in realization.  "So are you two a thing now?", He turned to Baekhyun with a smirk.

Baekhyun gave him a wary look. "They are just teasing because they have nothing better to do with their lives, don't take them seriously", Baekhyun instructed Jongin who looked back at the rest of them suspiciously.

"Well it does have a nice ring to it, Baek-Yeon, Baek-Yeon", Jongin joined in on their teasing.

Baekhyun groaned quickening his steps to get away from them as Junmyeon and Jongdae started singing  an acapella version of 'Baekyeon' and Chanyeol chimed in with his beatboxing and rapping along with Jongin. Baekhyun groaned inwardly again. This is what Kyungsoo must feel like all the freaking time....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Hey you all! Thankyou so much for reading and subscribing. So I know some of you are wondering about WenSoo, but don't worry, lot's of good stuff coming up in the next few chapters!

Stay tuned. Do leave comments.