44: Do You Miss Me Like I Miss You?

My Love That Is Forever

Baekhyun wanted to pull his hair out in frustration, as he rapidly paced around his room holding the bouquet of daisies. He didn't know what to do, whether to do anything or not and he kept feeling this strange constriction inside him thinking of Taeyeon.

Should I go after her? He didn't know why he was hesitating because his gut feelings were rarely wrong, and he was feeling something was very wrong with the whole thing that had happened earlier.

If only, he hadn't opened the door to Suzy then. He had been at the door ready to go out, when the said girl had come in, drunk to her bones, and literally just jumped on him. He had been caught so off-guard that for the first few seconds he hadn't been able to register what had actually happened, and the horror that she was kissing him had him trying to pry her of him in haste. But it proved to be more difficult than he had thought, and by the time he had managed to get out of her grasp he was a disheveled mess.

"Why? Why can't you just be with me, huh? Am I that unattractive?", She had hollered at him, mascara running down her cheeks as she stepped closer.

Baekhyun was quick to hold her back this time. "Suzy, you're clearly drunk right now. Please go away before you embarrass yourself more"

He didn't want to be rude, but the girl had just ruined his laborious work to look presentable so he could be excused.

"But - "

"Just go! Please!", He cursed under his breath looking at the clock, he was late.

Taking a tissue as he looked in the mirror, he started scrubbing off the lipstick smeared by her lips over his lower face and neck. A wan chuckle from behind him, gave him pause and he turned around to find Suzy still standing there wobbling, her features inebriated.

"You like Taeyeon, don't you?"

Baekhyun heart thudded at the simple truth and he clenched his jaw in irritation at her amusement. "Yes. I do. So, what?"

She laughed madly, muttering something under her breath before finally leaving.

Baekhyun didn't know why he still felt like he had committed a mistake. Maybe it was the way Taeyeon had looked at him, in an almost accusatory way. Deciding he couldn't just sit around waiting for things to explain themselves, he got up and out the room to visit Taeyeon's.

_

"You're saying she never came back?", Baekhyun furrowed his brows, as Soojung told him Taeyeon hadn't returned to the room ever since she left to meet him. "But she said she wanted to rest?"

Soojung was confused as well. "I don't know...I just know she hasn't been in this room for the past hour or so. I was just leaving for the city myself. What happened really? She was supposed to be with you?"

Baekhyun sighed, the wheels in his head turning, wondering where the girl could be. "It’s a long story, I'll tell you later. Sorry for keeping you! Just ring me if she contacts you!" And with that he started to run off.

"Okay! Do tell me too if you find her? I'll be waiting!", Soojung had already dialed the said girl's number as she closed the door behind her, the call going unanswered.

...........................................................................................

Please pick up. Please pick up.

Baekhyun chanted inside his head as he drove above the speed limit, the girl's number ringing and ringing. He had gone to check in the indoor garden after leaving Soojung, but there was no sign of Taeyeon there. He had proceeded to ask Hyuk next, because he was the only one apart from Yixing and his immediate friends, who knew Taeyeon and fortunately or unfortunately he had told him about her whereabouts.

The foolish woman had gone out to look for something she dropped while trekking at Dutyeon Pond, and had apparently borrowed the car from Hyuk to do so. Baekhyun didn't know what to do. At first he thought, he should just wait for her to return, but he wasn't going to be able to sit in peace until he saw and talked to her, so he left for the trekking course anyway. What was so important that she had to go out at dusk to look for it in a jungle? Far as he knew, the course closed at five.

He didn't bother cycling to the start of the course, and simply ran off after parking the car he had gotten from the hotel. The sun was setting and his heart with it, for some reason.

"Hey! Where do you think you're going?", A middle-aged man – who looked like a guard from what he was wearing – called out to him, just as he was about to run through onto the track.

Baekhyun panted, trying to catch his breath as the said man walked towards him. "The trek timings are over. You can't go in"

"I'm looking for my friend actually, she came here an hour or so ago", Baekhyun explained and the man's features lighted in obvious displeasure. "That's your friend? I was about to send a search team out if she didn't return for another 15 minutes!"

"Yeah", The man looked like he was in a dilemma so Baekhyun tried to play more on it. "So how about I go and bring her back before you actually have to send a search team to do so? Save us both time to enjoy New Year's?"

The man contemplated for a while, before the annoyance finally took over. "Fine! Go. Just don't take too long"

The man called out to him as he started and gave him a torch light to take with him since it was starting to get dark.

Muttering curses under his breathe for giving him so much tension that he was walking through trees with creepy crawlies all around him, Baekhyun took light but quick steps along the dirt track looking out for any signs of another person.

Turning across a clearing he started calling out her name. "Taeyeon? Where are you?". He was starting to feel much apprehension now. What if something had happed to her? What if she had fallen and fainted or gotten bit by something? Or worse what if something had eaten her? All sorts of horror movie scenarios ran through his head, as he walked, the trees casting ominous shadows all around.

He's heartbeat quickened upon seeing a flicker of white light a few feet before the bridge started, and he sprinted towards the dark silhouette holding the source of light.

"Taeyeon?", He called out upon approaching the figure and said a silent prayer upon seeing her face. Oh, thankgod.

"What the hell?", they both exclaimed at the same time, her face mirroring his expression of shock and annoyance, as the torch lights lighted their features.

"Why are you here?", She asked without pre-ambles.

"I should be asking you that! What do you think you're doing out here at this hour?"

"What's it to you? Why are you here?", She snapped.

"To look for you of course, you dimwit! Do you have any idea what time it is? The trek guard was about to send a search team out for you!"

"What?", her features softened, like she'd only realized it now as she looked around the darkened area and then confirmed how late it was using her cell. "Guess I lost track of time...."

"What was so important that you had to come out so urgently to search for it?"

She looked up at him, and for a minute Baekhyun thought she was going to retort bitterly but then she probably decided against it, sighing. "My mother's ring"

Baekhyun frowned in question.

"I dropped it here, when we were here day before yesterday and only realized it later. We're going back tomorrow so I had to come look for it"

Baekhyun didn't know what to say for a few moments. He knew how important the ring was to her, she'd worn it like it was a part of her body back in High School, and apparently since then too.

"Well, you could have at least told somebody or brought someone with you. We were all worried"

"Well, I did tell Hyuk. He got all worried and wanted to come with me, it was hard enough to persuade him not to. Everyone's busy celebrating with friends, I didn't want to ruin it"

"I wasn't. You could have asked me instead of lying and saying you wanted to rest", it left his mouth instinctively.

A flicker of hurt ran across her face, before her expression hardened again and Baekhyun almost regretted reminding her of the events that had unfolded earlier that day. He didn't want to dwell on it, but there was just too much left unexplained for him to sit quietly. "Why did you say that? If you didn't want to go with me and had to come here and look for something, you could have simply told me? I wouldn't have minded"

Taeyeon wanted to tell him in that moment that the whole reason she had ended up here was him. She wouldn't have even remembered about the ring if he hadn't gone on to screw up their outing or date or whatever it was. She wanted to yell at him, and demand answers to the thousand questions running through her head but she didn't. She wouldn't.

"It's too dark to look for anything now, let's just go. I'll come look for it tomorrow morning", She simply brushed past him and started making her way back through the clearing and onto the track.

......................................................

 

They walked in silence, towards the hotel after Baekhyun had parked away the car he had rented from the hotel rental earlier.

I might never get this chance again, Baekhyun thought. He wanted to talk to her. To explain to her about everything that had transpired that day, about the fact that it wasn't his fault because he could tell she was bothered about something, and he had a feeling it was about him and Suzy.

"Wait, Taeyeon", He said as they reached near the building entrance.

Despite having reservations, she turned her head asked "What is it?"

"I wasn't with her today I swear, she just.....she just barged into my room and – “

"Don't, Baekhyun", Taeyeon raised her hand, "I honestly couldn't care less"

"Why?", Baekhyun felt offended by her cold attitude.

"Why would I?", She scoffed.

"Because...because I want you to", He wanted her to be bothered about him, and everything that concerned him, wanted her to be with him like they used to be.

Her expression became solemn for a moment, seeing the dilemma and softness in his eyes. No Taeyeon, don't get fooled again!

She rolled her eyes at him and started to leave. Baekhyun couldn't take it anymore. He didn't even know why her attitude was troubling him so much but he just couldn't pretend he didn't care anymore.

He grabbed hand her hand just as she turned and pushed her against the wall on the side of the hotel.

"What the hell, Baekhyun?", Taeyeon shouted in irritation, her face inches from his.

"Why? Why can't you feel bothered for me? Why can't we just be the way we once were?", Baekhyun put both his hands on each side of her on the wall, effectively caging her in, letting the emotions get the better of him.

Taeyeon took deep breaths to calm herself. Her resolve was weakening, but she couldn't break in front of him. Not again.

"Let me go, Baekhyun!", She yelled, her eyes burning with rage.

"Not until you give me an answer!"

"Let me go Baekhyun, this instant!", She bellowed as she tried to break free from the cage of his arms that he had around her, but to no avail. He was too strong.

"Just look at me and tell me!", he bellowed but it was more of a plea than a shout. And it gave Taeyeon pause.

"Because Baekhyun!", She finally looked up at him, breathing hard. Tears were threatening to form, but she willed herself not to cry.

"Because?", Baekhyun's expression softened as he searched her eyes that were filled with fear, anger, hope and pain all at the same time. The way his dark brown orbs stared down at her, made Taeyeon feel like he was peering into her soul. And she felt herself weakening.

"Because once again...once again I'll fall for you, and once again you won't, Baekhyun", she stared deeply into his eyes, as a warm tear trickled down her cheek.

Baekhyun felt his heart sink at her confession, guilt flooding his system and he let go, taking a few steps back, his eyes still on hers. I hurt her too much. He lowered his gaze to the ground.

Taeyeon turned and started to walk away after taking one last look at him. Baekhyun wanted to stop her, but he couldn't find the strength to move.

"What if"

Taeyeon stopped on hearing his voice from behind. She turned as Baekhyun lifted his head. "What if I tell you that I'm falling for you too this time?"

Taeyeon looked back at him and for a second looking at his sincere, genuine eyes she found herself believing him. But it didn't last long. How many times have I been deceived by those eyes?

She let out a sarcastic laugh, despite her tear flooded eyes. "Oh, Baekhyun", She wiped away the tears from her cheeks. "You really believe that?"

Baekhyun's expression remained stern. "I do"

"You can't seriously!", She scoffed. "It's just a passing fancy", She willed herself not to say more, but something came over her in that moment and she couldn't stop. "You can't seriously fall for one person Baekhyun, and that too me. You're too shallow for that kind of commitment"

He flinched at the bitterness in her words and Taeyeon only felt worse seeing the stricken expression on his face.

Baekhyun felt like somebody had slapped him hard across the face, and he instinctively took a few steps back. How had he not realized this all along? How had he not seen that Taeyeon would never take him seriously, because he was too facile, too blind to everything he had done. How could she trust him? Taeyeon turned around, and this time she ran back.

His legs wobbled, and he unknowingly slid down against the wall. A grueling ache surfaced inside him somewhere, an ache he couldn't ease.

It's all over, he sighed and then realized that his cheeks were wet with tears. He hadn't cried in years and he couldn't understand why he was now. It wasn't like he hadn't expected it but it hurt more than he had imagined.

Gusts of icy wind blew around him as he started to sob, but he was already far too numb to feel any cold. His tears almost scalding against the chilly air, he wished with all his heart that he hadn't been a coward on that day years ago. That he had taken her into his arms and told her that he loved her too. Filled with regret for what could've been, his chest raked with sobs for a love that he had let slip through his fingers.

"Hi Taeyeon sun-bae, you look great today", Chanyeol praised, as she walked up to them. Kyungsoo bowed politely and smiled at her.

"Thanks", She smiled back, fixing her glasses. "Chanyeol, do you know where Baekhyun is?" After looking for him all around the hall, she had expected she would find him with his friends, but he wasn't there either.

"Oh, he was here a little while ago", Chanyeol looked around. "Kyungsoo-yah, have you seen Baekhyun?"

"Yeah, I saw him walk out a few minutes ago"

"Thanks!", Taeyeon lifted up her dress and ran out without hearing another word.

I need to tell him today, she repeated to herself. She had actually planned on confessing a month ago, but hadn’t been able to find the right circumstances to. Baekhyun always either changed the topic or made some excuse that he was busy or he had something to do, whenever the atmosphere got serious. And then exams started and she got busy as well.

Today is the perfect occasion, she thought to herself as she came out of the hall into the crisp spring air, her eyes scanning the college ground for him.

Baekhyun had come out for fresh air into their school garden, which had been decorated with fairy lights, in light of the occasion. He paced back and forth in the center of it, wanting to clear his mind of all the thoughts he was having, ever since he had seen Taeyeon enter the Farewell Party. Her auburn hair flowing down her back, wearing a beautiful white linen dress, she’d made his heart halt for a minute.

You can't seriously have feelings for her dude, he shook his head to get rid of the thoughts. She's just a friend.

It had all started with a bet. The resident bully, Hwang Chansung, had challenged him one day to make friends with the most aloof and introverted person in the whole school. Baekhyun, being the outgoing social animal he was, had always hung out with – and dated – people with a similar personality and it wasn’t a surprise considering his clique of friends was so popular, and not just their own school. He hated being awkward, and being around people who were so, but he wasn’t one to back down from challenges and this wasn’t even a hard one. And so with mutual consensus, the person who got selected to fulfill the bet was Kim Taeyeon. Senior Year. Nerd. Non-existent social life.

And he had won. Brought her out of her shell, made her see herself in a new light, nurtured her confidence (that she’d already always possessed) and considerably lessened her social anxiety. Somehow in between, she had become a regular part of his life and with the realization that the feelings he had developed for her were far from just the friendly platonic kind, had come the fear. The fear of becoming soft, of losing himself so completely in someone, because Baekhyun was far too smart and sensible for that. Love wasn’t a word he was ready to add to his dictionary. He had a lot to achieve and become before he got serious in relationships.

"Baekhyun", His heart leaped and he turned around upon hearing the familiar voice.

"Taeyeon", He spoke, taking in her breath-taking appearance again.

She smiled, and walked towards the center of the garden where he was standing. Dressed in a black suit, he looked very handsome and her heart raced as she approached him.

"How are you, Baekhyun? I haven't seen you in so long", She asked in concern, the feeling of longing so evident in her voice. "You didn't answer my calls either"

"I just...", Baekhyun felt a little tongue tied, looking into her affectionate eyes. "I have been busy with exams, you know? Sorry I couldn't take your calls, there is a lot of work around the house nowadays, with us moving and all", He looked away as he said the last sentence and started rubbing his foot on the ground. He knew she would be surprised as he hadn't told her.

"What? You're moving away?", Taeyeon suddenly felt her heart sink. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"I only just found out myself...actually", Baekhyun shrugged. His parents had told him a few weeks ago, and given him the option of staying back if he didn't want to move with them to the US, since he still had a year of high school left, but he had said he wanted to go. He couldn't deal with what he knew was coming, he was afraid he might weaken and surrender if he stayed and had to see her more.

"Oh", Taeyeon said weakly. A part of her was telling her not to say what she was there to say but she suppressed the thought. I won't be able to say it ever again if I don't today....

"Baekhyun, there's something that I've wanted to tell you for a long time….", Taeyeon looked up, her heart thudding in her chest as she met his eyes.

No, don't, Baekhyun pleaded in his head.

"Why don't we go inside first and talk, hmm?", Baekhyun recommended, trying to change the topic. He didn't want to hear what he knew she was about to say. Was almost scared of it.

"No. Baekhyun – “, Taeyeon caught his arm just as he started to move. Baekhyun looked up at her and praying that the mesmerising glow of pink on her cheeks was only his imagination, he moved back to his place.

"Baekhyun...", She looked into his eyes. "I love you"

Baekhyun's heart skipped a beat. He had expected it but actually hearing it, from her lips, made his heart flutter like it had never before.

Taeyeon smiled, her mind going haywire as she tried to search his eyes. She knew Baekhyun was shocked, seeing as he just stared at her.

"Say something, Baekhyun", She urged him after not getting his reply for some minutes.

"Huh?", Baekhyun broke out of his reverie.

"Taeyeon........I honestly don't know what to say", he tried to laugh, but the sound got stuck in his throat. "I've never looked at you....like that", He lied, putting his hands in his pocket as he looked away, trying to appear non-chalant. I have to tell her now or I won't be able to ever again.

"What?", Taeyeon swallowed hard. Maybe he's just surprised, She tried to console herself.

"Taeyeon, I don't know what made you think that", Baekhyun explained, not meeting her eyes as he didn't have the courage to. "But I've-I've never thought of you like that, you're just a friend to me", he looked up at her as he said it and felt a pang hit him as her smile disappeared. But he ignored it.

"Just a...", Taeyeon couldn't believe her ears for the first few seconds. All those times they had spent together, the times that he had held her hand, those comforting smiles and hugs whenever she was upset because of her father or anyone else, talking till late at night when either of them couldn't sleep, coming to meet her whenever she needed him, their walks in parks filled with cherry blossoms, he had done all that for her as a friend?

"You surely don't....mean that right?", She looked up in expectation. Maybe he wasn't as much in love with her as she was but he surely had some feelings for her.

"I do, Taeyeon", Baekhyun lied, swallowing hard. "I've never felt anything for you", His guilt increased as he saw the hurt in her eyes but he didn't let himself get swayed.

Taeyeon felt her knees weaken as she heard him say those words. No, he didn't mean that, she told herself. started to feel dry and her hands trembled a little as she lowered her gaze, willing the tears that were forming in her eyes not to fall.

"Baekhyun!", came the shrill voice of Soyou, his class fellow as she came into view with her three friends. "What are you doing here?", She inquired, eyeing Taeyeon disapprovingly, who still hadn't lifted her head up. "It's bad manners to leave your date alone in a party!" Minjee complained.

Date? Her words rang in Taeyeon's ears. He brought a date today.

"Oh sorry Soyou, I just...", Baekhyun tried to sound enthusiastic. He had completely forgotten he had brought a date to get his mind off Taeyeon. He looked at the said girl one last time, trying his best to ignore the sharp pain he was feeling and the part of his mind that was screaming at him to just take her into his arms and tell her that he loved her too. "I just came out for some fresh air", He smiled weakly at Minjee and started walking towards her, leaving Taeyeon standing alone in the middle of the garden.

"Let's go", Minjee lead, glowering at Taeyeon as she linked her arm through Baekhyun's. Baekhyun looked back at Taeyeon, probably for the last time, and swallowed hard seeing how dejected she looked. Taeyeon looked up at him too, her vision blurred by tears as she saw them walk away, feeling like her whole world had just crumbled to dust.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: And here we have it. The of BaekYeon's story. There is going to be maybe one more flashback before the whole story is revealed, but I think you all got the picture. Baekhyun you *bleep*

Also, IrSeul and SeChan <3

Do leave comments! Thankyou for reading!