38: With You Between My Arms

My Love That Is Forever

"Hello", Seungwan opened her eyes to see Soojung smiling at her. Bleary-eyed, she looked around to find her mother, brother and Mrs.Do standing on either side of her eerily white bed, and Kyungsoo at the footboard, a relieved but slightly worried smile on his face. Chanyeol and Jongin were in the further back waving at her.

"Where am I?", She thought out-loud and slowly taking in the white contour of the room she was in, it started coming back to her. A numb throb in her right abdomen alerted her to the fact that she was there due to her stomach bug.

The door opened at that time, revealing Yixing, Jongdae in his wake. "Oh, is she awake? Hi, sleepy head!" Yixing exclaimed before coming towards her bed.

He went on to recount to her the events of the day on her inquiry, Sehun, Jongdae and Jongin chiming in with their exaggerated comments on how dramatically she had fallen and had Kyungsoo not been there to catch her she might have hit her head and lost her memory or something, and then about how worried Kyungsoo was and they had heard him crying while praying to the Lord for her health in the hospital cathedral.

"You know, that's the first time he has been to church in years!", Jongdae had added  Kyungsoo had glared at them furiously, before going on to assure her he had done no such thing, because she looked like she actually believed them. They had cracked up soon after, as they drank from the tins Yixing had brought them.

"I'm sorry I ruined the day", Seungwan said guiltily, looking to her mother, Soojung and Kyungsoo, with the others chatting in the back-ground. She wanted to slap herself for her carelessness and stubbornness, it had not only been detrimental to her health but also created problems for everyone else around her on such a festive day. Not to mention her first official date with Kyungsoo that was supposed to have been today, had gone to ashes.

"Oh, hush! It's Okay", Mrs. Son responded with affection.

"You should be, actually! Why didn't you go to the hospital earlier when you were this ill?", Soojung reprimanded her, the caring concern behind her words not lost to Seungwan. She lowered her gaze in shame.

"But it's okay, we're all here, aren't we?", Mrs. Do tapped her hand comfortingly, making her smile.

Just then a nurse and a doctor came in, eyeing the crowd of attendants disapprovingly. After checking all her vitals, they told them that they would keep her under observation for at least another day. The nurse injected what she told them was an analgesic into the IV running down into her hand, because the anesthesia was wearing off and soon she would start feeling pain.

"And it's best if you people leave the patient to rest now", She informed the occupants with an artificial smile and Jongdae visibly shuddered at her tone.

"You people heard her, time to leave", Soojung stated the obvious.

"You can all leave, I'm staying", Kyungsoo announced with a whiff of finality and the argument started.

Mrs. Son was adamant on staying, not willing to take her eyes off her daughter for a minute, which being the mother she was, was understandable. Sehun was no different, ("It's my noona!"), and of course Jongin couldn't really stay behind him when it came to whining. Jongdae and Chanyeol insisted that Kyungsoo needed them, and that they were a veritable resource in case anything was needed during the night.

"Stop it! All of you!", Soojung was loud enough to shut them all up. She turned to Mrs. Son first. "Aunt, you are already pretty tired from all that's been going on today, and a few hours of rest would do you good. You can come back, first thing in the morning".

"And Sehun, you and Yeri need to stay at home in case Taeyeon needs something. It's been hours since I left her there", She turned to the other two.

Mrs. Son's ears perked up. "Right! What happened with her?"

Soojung went on to explain how she and Baekhyun had found her drunk and taken her home.

"She was drunk?", Yixing had a hard time believing his ears.

"You left her with that gangster kid?", Mrs. Son was very concerned.

"Baekhyun hyung is not a gangster, Mom!", Sehun was quick to defend his recently made dear friend. Chanyeol snorted.

Mrs. Son eyed him warily, before turning back to Soojung, who was still contemplating how best to explain about the whole thing without make it seem weird. "You still shouldn't have left her alone in that condition with a stranger, Soojung"

"He's not exactly a stranger....", Soojung tried weakly.

"He and Taeyeon are dating", Yixing announced to clarify.

Silence descended on the room like a thick blanket.

"They are?", Mrs. Son asked in surprise.

"Hyung!", Chanyeol said in a low, chiding voice as he and the rest looked at Yixing in disbelief, to which the latter waved a hand and continued. "They’ve actually been friends since High School"

"Oh", Mrs. Son seemed to believe him. "I wonder why Taeyeon never told me"

"Well you know her, it's been forever since she last dated so she's feeling a little apprehensive about how she should broach the subject. You understand, right?", Yixing explained.

"Of course, of course! It's a good thing. It's not like I would ever object to it!", Mrs. Son was starting to see Baekhyun in a whole new light now.

"They are really dating?", Yeri asked Kyungsoo. Sehun turned at her voice too. "Yeah, are they?" Kyungsoo just shrugged at them, not knowing what to make of what was going on.

After a few more minutes of argument, it was decided that Soojung, Kyungsoo and Jongin (who had insisted to Mrs. Do fervently that he would come back with his brother, and that he needed to stay in order to keep him company though it might have had more to do with Soojung staying back) would stay there until morning, while the rest went and got some sleep. Seungwan had told them all to go, saying she was only going to sleep through the night and wouldn’t be needing much for someone to stay, but they didn’t really pay much heed to her demands.

_

Kyungsoo slipped through the door quietly, not wanting to wake Seungwan if she was sleeping. He was surprised to find she wasn't.

"Why are you still awake? They gave you the meds an hour ago", He stated, brows furrowed.

She pouted, and Kyungsoo thought he was seeing things. He had gone out to eat after Jongin and Soojung, and had come back to find them both dozing off on the hallway benches, Soojung's head on Jongin's shoulder and for a minute he had thought he shouldn't disturb them when they looked so....picture perfect. But seeing as they both were clearly not comfortable with their positions, he had woken them and told them to go home. There wasn't much need for them to stay as Seungwan would have been asleep by then anyway. Jongin, having recently got his driving silence, was more than excited to drop Soojung off at her house on the way. Kyungsoo would come back in the morning with when somebody showed up, though he wasn't sure he would.

"Come here", Seungwan asked, more like squeaked from her bed, holding out her hand and something nagged at the back of Kyungsoo's mind. He still obliged.

"Do you need anything?", He went and sat lightly on the side of her bed.

"You", She grinned and a blush creeped up on Kyungsoo's face before confusion. "What did they give you?" He wondered out loud, seeing as her acting like this, all cute, wasn't something very normal.

"I'm sorry we didn't have a good date today", There it was that pout again, and this time she reached out and took his hand as well. The urge to kiss it away was so great, Kyungsoo had to look away to restrain himself, before he did something he regretted.

"Oh, t-that's fine, we can always go once you're better"

"But I'm sick!", She whined, her voice a few octaves higher than it should be.

"Yeah, but you'll be fine soon", He consoled gently.

"Kiss me better!" She grinned, squirming excitedly.

"What? No", He was clearly flustered at her demand.

She pouted again. "Why not?"

He got up, taking his hand out of her grasp lightly, feeling heat coming out of his ears.

"Why not?", She whined like a kid again.

"Seung", He looked at her seriously. "Go to sleep. Right now!"

"I don't want to!"

"You're ill! How will you get better without rest?"

"I promise I'll go to sleep and get better once you kiss me!", She asked, and the glint in her eyes was so child-like and adorable, that he had to shake his head to get rid of his illogical thoughts. You're not kissing her while she's in a hospital bed!

"Pweeasee"

Kyungsoo gulped. No don't look! Don't look – He did anyway and his shoulders slumped. Oh, to hell with it!

He took steps towards her, before delivering a lingering kiss on her lips, which she returned and the earth slipped from beneath his feet for a second. It was nothing, and everything like what he had hoped their first kiss would be, and he would have held on for God knows how long, had she not smiled and pulled away first.

She blinked at him a few times, before her eyes fluttered close.

He took a deep breath to calm himself. Well, that was something! It was the last thing he had expected would happen at such a time, but he didn't, couldn't, regret it even if he wanted to.

Smiling like a sappy idiot, Kyungsoo switched the lights off and pulled the curtains, before finally slumping down on the sole couch in the room. Looking at her sleeping peacefully, his eyes started to get heavy as well and he was asleep before he knew it.

The dreams he had that night were of calla lilies and wedding bouquets.

_

Taeyeon struggled through darkness to consciousness and finally opened her eyes a little. Where am I? The room was dark, she felt her side and then turned to find the button for the bed-side lamp before switching it on.

The light pierced into her eyes painfully and she closed them before opening them slowly again to give them time to adjust. She groaned immediately, feeling dazed and disoriented, a throbbing ache in head. She rubbed her temples, and it started coming back to her bit by bit.

Christmas Party. Restaurant. The bottle of champagne she had managed to get her hands on and after that everything else was a grey blur.

She tried to sit up, her head immediately falling back because of the pain and her other hand brushed lightly against something.

Skin. Right next to her.

Her eyes now somewhat adjusted, she turned her head to the left slowly, to find a man sleeping soundly. She screamed.

................................

Baekhyun smiled in his sleep. Bathed in the cocoon of warmth, he wanted to stay under covers forever. But a shrill sound brought him to wakefulness, much to his displeasure and he opened his eyes slowly to find Taeyeon shrieking in his face.

He bolted into sitting position, his heart pounding and gestured wildly for her to calm down. She finally did, recognition and fear flitting over her features at the same time.

"Baekhyun! What the hell are you doing here?", She hugged the duvet to herself self-consciously and that's when it all came back to him. Oh . She was going to kill him.

"Calm down, Taeyeon! I can explain.....!" Both his and Taeyeon's eyes widened in horror as the duvet came off him completely, revealing his very torso.

"Oh My God!", Taeyeon exclaimed, shutting her eyes and then getting off the bed, completely freaked out.

Cursing his habit of sleeping shirtless (he must have taken it off in his sleep), Baekhyun slid down the other side of bed, eyes scanning the room furiously for the white fabric.

"What the hell are you doing here, in my room, at this ungodly hour?", Taeyeon's snarl made him jump.

"Quiet down, will you? You're going to wake the neighbors!"

 The girl was breathing rapidly, nostrils flared and he could feel the steam coming out of her head and ears.

"What did we do? Did you spike my drink? Oh God....", A wave of dizziness swept through her head, and she sat down quickly, holding her head in her hands. Before Baekhyun could reach her side, she felt bile rising in and ran to the washroom, her mind and body going haywire.

Baekhyun used the opportunity to quickly put on his shirt, which he had located under the duvet. Ugh, when had he slipped under it anyway? He was supposed to put her to sleep not sleep himself. But now that he thought about it, it wasn't that bad a thing after all. He hadn't had that good a sleep in a long time.

Rushing to the restroom through the half-open door, he held back Taeyeon silky locks as she retched and patted her back. Once she was done, she asked him to leave the washroom to which he obliged. Taeyeon quickly brushed her teeth and washed her face and came out feeling completely drained.

"You okay?", Baekhyun asked.

"I'm fine", Taeyeon breathed and then took a good look at him, wanting to lash out and cry at the circumstances they were in but she didn't have the energy for that.

"What did we do, Baekhyun?", She asked in all seriousness looking like she would burst into tears any minute, all sorts of scenarios playing in her head. It wasn't like she could be blamed for imagining the worse, when she had woken up to find a half- man in her bed in the middle of the night. And her own clothes - Oh god! Had he changed her into pajamas too?

"Nothing! Seriously!", Baekhyun tried to re-assure her, putting a tentative hand on her shoulder. She sharply turned to glare at him, making him pull it away.

"How did we end up here then?", She asked in much better tone, biting back the harsh words lingering on the tip of her tongue. She couldn't let him see that she was freaking out, there was no way in hell she was giving him that satisfaction.

Baekhyun went on to tell her about how Soojung had found her drunk on a bottle of champagne- he barely bit back the snort that threatened to escape his lips, seeing how Taeyeon was not in the mood of any non-sense – and how she had left him to look after her after settling her. She was clearly relieved to find out Soojung had changed her clothes; she would ask her for other details later to counter-check if Baekhyun had told her the truth. God, why can't I remember anything?

Worry took over her at the thought of Seungwan being in the hospital, but Taeyeon had some important matters to settle at hand before she could give it much thought.

"And who gave you the permission to jump into my bed like it's your own, huh?", She seethed.

Baekhyun wanted to retort back that she was the one who had asked him to do so, but the thought she wouldn't like it made him alter his words. The girl had clearly been going through something difficult and he didn't want her to beat herself up about her actions which weren't even her fault, because he knew that despite trying to appear all cold and unaffected, she tended to take things rather sensitively.

"I was bored, being on guard duty, so I thought I would stretch my legs a little and kind of fell asleep", He shrugged and then seeing as she was literally resisting back the urge to claw at his face - her hands clenching and unclenching by her side – he gave her an apologetic smile. "Sorry about that"

"Why didn't you take the other bed? It was clearly unoccupied!", She gestured to Seungwan's single bed beside her's.

That gave him pause. Right, how should I explain this. "Uhh, sorry I guess I was too sleepy to think. My bad!", He chuckled nervously, brushing the back of his head and Taeyeon could only shake her head at his idiocy.

"Are you sure that's all that happened?", She asked him again.

The scene of their kiss chose to replay in his mind at that time, and heat rapidly rose to his cheeks. "Y-yeah, that's all", He looked away. Taeyeon had her suspicions but she chose to let go of them. It wasn't like she was enjoying interrogating him either with the throbbing in her head.

"Watch out"

Taeyeon looked towards him as his hand touched her's to make her stop, gesturing to the pins on the floor that she may have accidently brushed off the bedside table when she was getting up. He bent down to pick them up.

And the butterflies, gone for a week atleast, chose to make their appearance again – her heart started pounding. She hadn't paid much attention before, but he looked really attractive with his half dark half blond hair unruly and the over-all casual look with his white dress shirt untucked and fresh face as he handed her the hair pins.

"Well, I'm fine now so you can leave", She said with a straight face as she put the pins away into one of the compartments of the dressing table.

Baekhyun sulked. "Do I really have to, at this time of the night? It’s so cold outside". He pointed to the clock which told her it was 2:08 in the morning and then to the window, the snow and eerie quiet outside not looking inviting.

Trying not to let his pout affect her, she turned away. "Yes Baekhyun, you can't expect me to let you stay in my room till morning"

"Why not?"

She gave him a look. It was a mercy she had woken up in time. What would have happened if they had slept throughout and someone had woken them in the morning? How would they have explained that?

"Well, you could always tell them we’re friends", He shrugged non-chalantly. "Or more if you want"

Teasing her right then was a wrong move apparently because she took quick steps in his direction and started pushing him out.

"What-Oh! Wait!", Baekhyun resisted only half-heartedly as she pushed him – a little gently, he felt, for some reason – out the door. It wasn't like he was expecting her to let him stay in her room either. "Where will I go?"

Seeing his puppy dog face, Taeyeon had to tremendously resist the urge to just pull him back in and put him under covers – God, I'm going crazy! – and she chose to not say anything, just handing him back his cell-phone and dress coat that were lying on the bed and then closing the door immediately before her resolve wavered again.

Am I being too rude? She felt sorry as she looked towards the door. No! She couldn't let herself go soft for him. She was a cold person now and that's what she would remain. It still didn't help to take away the gnawing she felt though, as she heard his footsteps descending down the stairs.

Not wanting to think about it anymore, she quickly took Tylenol for her headache and went back to bed after setting an alarm. She would wake up early and go to the hospital first thing in the morning.

............................................

Aha! Baekhyun had felt strangely satisfied seeing the slight waver in her eyes when he brought out his best pout –  Chanyeol and Jongdae would be proud of him – that told him that she still was, however little, affected by him. Maybe there was still hope that she would open up to him again.

Choosing not to leave at that time simply because he was feeling too lazy, he descended the stairs of the quiet house and went to the only other room in the house he knew well – Sehun's. He opened the door lightly, not wanting to wake the inhabitants and made out two people already lying on the bed. The second one turned out to be Yixing, as he went and took and closer look before lying down on that side of the bed.

They would just have to make some space for him for the next few hours.

_

 

Baekhyun opened his eyes to surroundings that didn't look like his room. Getting up and looking around, everything came back to him and a huge grin broke out on his face soon as his eyes landed on Yixing and Sehun, sleeping beside him.

It was an unseemly sight, as Yixing and Sehun were hugging each other, shirtless and that too under the same covers (he must have stolen Yixing's while he was sleeping). And their faces were a very dangerous, kissable, distance away though they were both too knocked out to notice.

Stifling a chuckle, Baekhyun got up and donned on a shirt before turning the light on and quickly snapped a few pictures of them, before starting a video. They would probably come in handy in the future.

The light seemed to have disturbed Sehun a bit, because he stirred but had barely fluttered his eyes open, when Yixing squirmed closer to him and their lips met.

"Ha!", Baekhyun clamped a hand over his mouth to quieten the bout of laughter threatening to erupt as he balanced the phone in his hand to get a clearer view of the whole scene recorded.

Sehun eyes jerked open wide as he became fully conscious. "Hyung!" He sprang away hurriedly but Yixing's hold merely tightened around him as he mumbled in his sleep.

As if on cue, there was a knock on the door and Yeri came in. "Get up Sehun! It's our turn to – Oh My God!"

Yeri's exclaimation seemed to have gotten through to Yixing, because he blearily opened his eyes. Sehun's jaw dropped to the floor seeing his class slash housemate and he quickly sprang away from Yixing, only to stumble from the bed and fall down on the floor. Baekhyun had started laughing fully now, not bothering to hide his amusement.

"What the-?", Yeri looked absolutely flabbergasted at what she had witnessed.

"This is not what it looks like!", Sehun quickly got up from the floor and stumbled around to find his shirt, covering his very nice-looking abs with his hands and arms.

Yeri gasped. "What is that supposed to mean?"

"Nothing! What-just what are you doing here?", Sehun directed the frustration he had been feeling at Yixing, to Yeri.

"I am here to wake you, jerk! It's our turn to make breakfast today, remember? Stop yelling at me!"

"I'm awake now, can't you see? Go away!", Sehun retorted, hot-headed and drowsy, and less then pleased that Yeri had witnessed something she was going to for, for the rest of his life.

"Fine! Stop pinning this on me when you're the one kis –“, The words died in . Glaring at him, she stomped out of the room.

Sehun huffed, clearly irritated with her and more so with himself. And then his gaze landed on Baekhyun, who was laughing quietly in a corner and he narrowed his eyes.

"What are you doing here?"

"Nothing, just, enjoying you know", Baekhyun replied cheekily and Sehun sighed, knowing how much the former was bemused seeing everything.

"What's going on?", Yixing got up into sitting position rubbing his arms, his eyes only half open, clearly disoriented.

"You just stole Sehun's first kiss, that's what", Baekhyun stated, and then chuckled as Sehun threw a pillow at him.

"I did what-?", Yixing squinted at them.

"Ughhh just sleep, hyung!", Sehun grumbled before disappearing into the bathroom with his shirt.

"Nice abs by the way!", Baekhyun held up a thumb, winking at Yixing.

The later grinned cutely, dimples appearing. "Thanks"

Baekhyun smiled mischievously to himself as he sent the pictures he had taken in the group chat, adding Sehun for effect. The day was going to be fun, he could already tell.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Another fun update! Hope you guys liked it! Do comment and let me know how you found it.

Thankyou for reading.