35: About Time

My Love That Is Forever

Another week had passed, and Baekhyun had still not gotten over his confusion. And with Christmas only a couple of days away, it was bothering him more than anything. Not to mention how done his friends were with him, for dulling the holiday spirit by not playing his usual jolly character.

Therefore, swallowing the pride that he had gained due to his ample experience in the dating department, he decided to get his friend's opinion on the problems – or rather one mega problem -  going on his life while they were bowling that Sunday.

"So you're not going to the States for Christmas?", Kyungsoo asked as they got settled into their seats on the table, after they had finished one bowling session.

"Yeah. Since I love you guys so much I decided to spend it with you", Baekhyun said sardonically, and Kyungsoo and Jongdae made faces at him.

He had actually been more than ready to leave, wanting to spend it with his parents but they had told him not to come there – much too enthusiastically, in his opinion – and spend it with his friends and even insisted that he go on the college trip that was on the weekend after Christmas. He had whined at first, but agreed eventually as a part of him did want to spend the Christmas in Korea after not having done so for long.

"Okay, spill. What's been bothering you for the past few days?", Chanyeol, who had been off to order snacks, commanded him as he set down their drinks on the table.

Baekhyun took a deep breath. "I'm confused" He stated simply not bothering to explain.

"What are you confused about?", Kyungsoo asked, switching to his shrink-mode. He had happily accepted their offer to go bowling, which had to do with the fact that the whole loan issue was resolved for now and Seungwan and he were now officially dating. Just thinking about it brought a smile to his face and he couldn't wait for Christmas.

"Everything", Baekhyun shrugged.

"Okay, dude none of us here can read minds. Would you please tell us clearly what's going on with you?", Jongdae inquired in exasperation.

"It's Taeyeon, isn't it?", Chanyeol said, his arms folded on his chest. Baekhyun looked up from beneath his lashes, and sighed. "Yeah, it's her. She's.....something's changed and I can't figure out what. And it's getting to me"

He had very successfully evaded all chances of running into her the rest of the week at the university, since their co-incidental meeting last Monday and considering there wasn't much work to do for the society either, he had hardly even passed by her. But much to his sorrow, it had only made him feel miserable. He might not be ready to admit it, but he missed her, especially with how he kept dreaming about her in that red lace dress every other night. And now, since their winter vacations had started, there was an even lesser chance that he would see her and that thought dampened his spirits further.

"Of course it is. Why are you such an oblivious block-head anyway?", Jongdae responded airily, taking a long sip from his drink.

"What do you mean?"

"What he means is that you need to face what's confusing you. Accept the fact that you're developing feelings for her and talk to her!", Chanyeol spelled it out.

It was only then that realization dawned on Baekhyun, and his heart sank. I'm developing feelings for her...

"I can't", He croaked. As much as it did seem like the better solution to end his anxiety, he couldn't just go and say everything to her face. After all it wasn't the first time that he was going through this and he needed to think thoroughly before taking any actions.

"Why the hell not?", Chanyeol protested.

"Because it's all pent-up emotions! They will go away in no time! Not to mention what Taeyeon's going to do to me if I as much as hint towards having any romantic feelings for her. I value my life!", Baekhyun had said it in such seriousness, that they all chuckled.

"Are you seriously still scared of her?", Kyungsoo asked, amused.

"What?", Baekhyun couldn't believe his friends were thinking this was a joke. "I'm not scared of her! I'm just scared of how she's going to react. Might I remind you people that we're not exactly friends?!" If she rejected him, which there was a very high chance she was going to, they wouldn't ever be able to stand on the same ground again. And Baekhyun was not willing to risk their barely developed civility, just because he couldn't keep a check on his emotions.

"Stop making lame excuses, Baek. You were never scared of saying any to her face when you people met, how come you're scared now?", Jongdae rolled his eyes.

Baekhyun opened his mouth to retort but he was interrupted.

"You're making the same mistake again", Kyungsoo interrupted.

Baekhyun's heart skipped a beat, but he kept up a cool face. "What mistake?"

"The same mistake you made in High School", Chanyeol stated matter-of-factly

Baekhyun pursed his lips, not liking his friend's reminder one bit. "I don't know what you're talking about. And I would really appreciate it, if instead of digging up the past, you people would concentrate on what I'm asking of you right now"

"That is what we are telling you! Stop being a coward and just confess", Jongdae responded.

"It's easier said than done. She hates me! She's going to reject me flat on my and then I won’t even be able to talk to her"

"If she does that, that's on her. At least you would have tried and won't keep moping around like a love-sick puppy. It's better to act on time than to regret what could have been when it's too late", Chanyeol said with a soft look, something Baekhyun didn't see on the giant male often.

"And Baek, from what I know.....she might have changed somewhat but in most ways she's still the same person we knew back in High School. She won't flat out reject you, not if you do it right and give her the time she needs", Kyungsoo advised sagely.

"Yeah, just don't be a douche again and she will eventually warm up to you. I'm sure of it", Jongdae told him, unwrapping the sandwich he had been desperately eyeing for the past few minutes.

"But still....what if it's just a fancy? Maybe I'm just getting emotional because I got reminded of our time back in High School....", Baekhyun asked unsurely.

"Is that really it?", Chanyeol folded his elbows on the table leaning a little closer, a faint smile on his face. Because he knew his friend was just trying to hide behind a lie. "That's a question you need to ask yourself"

Were they just pent up emotions? Baekhyun sat back thoughtfully. No, they aren't. Stop fooling yourself. A voice ran through his head. Baekhyun wasn't sure why his mind kept doing this to him, speaking of its own accord, like there was someone else living inside his head.

"You've been bummed out like that because of some 'pent-up' emotions, dude?", Jongdae made finger-quotes, scowling. "Get a life!"

Baekhyun really had no answer to that. Jongdae got up with his drink to register for another round of bowling, Chanyeol following him.

Kyungsoo turned to him. "It's really up to you to decide, Baek. Just make sure to stand by your decision once you make it. Don't put her or yourself through what you did in High School again, because this time the damage really would be beyond repair"

He got up to follow Jongdae and Chanyeol who were now waving fervently at them to come and join them for the game. Baekhyun sighed as he got up to join them too. He was in for a good round of soul-searching. But at least talking to them had helped him clear his mind about what he needed to do.

_

Kyungsoo: Hey, you still up?

Seungwan: Yeah.

Incoming call from Kyungsoo sunbae....

Seungwan smiled seeing the caller ID. Though it wasn't much, but she had removed the 'nim' from his ID that she had saved earlier on her phone, and it make her smile every time she looked at it. If things kept going nicely, maybe she’d be calling him by his name soon.

"Hello?", She answered, pulling the duvet closer to her face.

"Hi! How are you?", Came his deep honey voice, and Seungwan found herself melting against it. "Fine"

"Really?", Kyungsoo could feel the slight edge to her voice. "You don't sound so good?"

"Just an upset stomach, nothing to worry about"

Kyungsoo frowned. "You had tummy ache at the winter dance too. Still hasn't gotten better?"

"No.....kind of. It went away after I took some meds, but it's returned. Nothing much to worry about though", She had been having repeated bouts of nausea and vomiting for the past few days which had drained her energy somewhat but she didn't want him to worry when it was Christmas tomorrow, and the excitement of her first actual date with Kyungsoo was clouding over all other problems she had, whether physical or mental.

"You sure?"

She mumbled in reply which didn't do much to rectify his concerns.

"How about I take you to the hospital day after tomorow? That way we'll get to spend more time together too?", Kyungsoo had planned to take her out anyway, and a little detour wouldn't do any harm.

"Sure", Seungwan felt warmth spread through her. She was already planning on visiting the doctor right after Christmas with the way things were, she knew she should have gone earlier with how bad the nausea and retching was, but it was all for the better she thought as the prospect of being able to spend more time with Kyungsoo stirred her.

 The sharp sting in her right tummy gave her pause though, and she cleared .

"Are you really okay, Seung?", He felt her discomfort somehow.

"All good", She smiled, not realizing he couldn't see her. "Sunbae?"

"Hmm?"

"Will you sing for me?"

"Now?"

"Yes. Something slow...."

"Okay", He smiled before starting.

With my old guitar
I’ll take all the confessions I couldn’t say
All the things I swallowed inside
And tell you right now as if I made it into a song
Just listen, I’ll sing for you

Seungwan closed her eyes, as his velvety voice rang through her ears, a soothing remedy to the pain she was feeling.

I love you so much but I don’t tell you that I love you
It’s awkward, my pride won’t allow me
I’ll take courage and tell you today
But just listen without much thought, I’ll sing for you

She was out like a light within minutes.

Kyungsoo smiled, as he realized she had fallen asleep if the sound of her even breathing on the other end was any indication. He still wasn't too satisfied if she was alright, he'll have to see for himself tomorrow.

He listened to her breathe, the sound strangely calming, for a few more minutes before hanging up as he entered dreamland himself.

_

Taeyeon sipped her coffee as she looked outside the glass window of her bedroom. It was a white Christmas this year, with the snow-fall the day before having laid it's cover on everything. She was in high spirits for some reason, partly because she had managed to reach a milestone with her thesis last week and had aced the assessments that took place earlier this month. Call her a dork, but that's who she was and she believed in taking pride in her accomplishments.

"Jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way~"

She heard Yixing's voice outside the room, and smiled. Yixing's Christmas carol was a usual start to Christmas every year and the normalcy filled her with ease and warmth.

The door opened seconds later, revealing Yixing wearing a Santa hat. "Merry Christmas sleepy heads!"

"Merry Christmas, Lay", Taeyeon hugged him in greeting which he returned warmly.

Mrs. Son came in with cookies seconds later, completing the Christmas morning ritual.

"Why is she still asleep?", Yixing asked as he chewed a mouthful, pointing towards Seungwan.

Taeyeon frowned. "She's sick. Poor girl has been retching her guts out for the past 3 days and barely eating. I gave her some meds last night, don't know if it's gotten any better" She felt a pang of guilt as she thought about how oblivious she had been to her cousin's condition for the past few days, only realizing it last night when she saw how weak and pale she seemed to have gotten.

"Why didn't she tell anyone? We could have taken her to the doctor!", Mrs. Son asked, motherly concern evident on her face as she went ahead and sat on Seungwan's bed.

"I asked her the same thing! She's said she was fine and she'll go with D.O. if she doesn't feel better"

Yixing brushed away the hair on Seungwan's face as he went to sit near her too and then took her hand, drawing soothing circles. "Wendy?", He coaxed as her eyes fluttered open. "Are you okay?"

Seungwan felt like the whole world was spinning around her, soon as she woke up. She closed her eyes and rubbed her head to get rid of the dull throbbing ache before opening them again to find her cousin and mother sitting on either side of her bed.

"Are you okay?"

She put on a convincing smile. "I'm fine" Realization of it being Christmas morning dawned on her a second later, and she sat up quickly – way too quickly – before holding her head to take the dizziness away. She had a date to get ready for, and she sure as hell wasn't going to let a stomach bug get in the way of it.

"You look terrible. Let's take you to the hospital", Yixing stated, getting up, her mother following him a second later and holding a hand.

"It's nothing, I'm fine!", She shook her head and then seeing as they weren't budging tried another approach. "Isn't the party in like two hours? Don't you people have preparations to make?" She knew she had a lot to do, looking into the mirror on the side of the bed. Starting with hiding those bags under her eyes.

"Health comes first. Now get up before we make you", Came her mother's stern voice.

"You should go, Seungwan. I'll take care of everything down at the restaurant", Taeyeon assured Mrs. Son, putting her mug down to start getting ready.

"But I'm fine now! Much better. See?", She pouted for effect and Yixing chuckled. Her mother was taking no non-sense though and kept on glaring at her insistently. "I promise I'll go after the party okay if it doesn’t get better? Actually Kyungsoo sunbae might take me"

That seemed to have done the trick, as her mother deflated.

"You sure?", Yixing asked, still concerned.

"Yes. I'm sure! Now go", She shooed them away with her hands. A few more times of questions asking if anything was wrong and reassurances by her later, they all got busy in discussion as they went out, and Seungwan took a deep breath. She winced as the cramps in her abdomen registered and she quickly took out Tylenol before gulping two down with water.

She hoped with all her might they would be enough to take the edge away and last her through the party, as she got up to shower.

.............................................

"Your father called yesterday"

Taeyeon's heart sank as she heard Mrs. Son, but she didn't let it show on her face. "What did he say?"

Mrs. Son worried her lip, knowing she was treading on thin ice. Her father wasn't a topic Taeyeon liked discussing much.

"He said he might visit next year to check on some business-related things here. MIght visit us too" Mrs. Son paused.

Taeyeon scoffed. Of course. Trust her father to only call his relatives when he needed something. Like a temporary residence. And to never call his daughter. She tried to fight the tightness in her chest as she thought about how long it had been since she had heard his voice.

Why do I give a damn anyway? He could've called her, asked her, his daughter instead, but I guess he doesn't even have the decency to do that now.

"Thought I should tell you", Mrs. Son's weak voice broke through her thoughts. Seeing her niece's pained expression, she was already regretting telling her. But it wasn't like she could have hidden it from Taeyeon anyway.

"Okay", Taeyeon feigned non-challance as she went down the stairs.

She had promised herself she was going to enjoy the day today to the fullest, not let anything get to her. But apparently want didn't get you everything.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Hope you guys like the update, lots of good stuff is coming! 

Thankyou for reading! Do comment and let me know how you found it.