10: When I Look At You

My Love That Is Forever

The list of the Junior-Senior presentation groups was displayed that day and Kyungsoo stalled until the last moment to see it, not wanting to get caught in the frenzy of people who were excited about it. Really what was so exciting about it?

Roll no. 63 and 90 from 3rd Year Business Management, were the ones he had been partnered with. He went to the auditorium and soon the groups were introduced by their Human Resources Professor Mrs. Park, senior first followed by two juniors. It looked like a meet and greet party to Kyungsoo. In total there were 100 groups, as there were hundred students in senior class and Kyungsoo's group was the 48th. He had to wait a long time before he was finally called up the stage.

"And Roll no. 63 and 90 from 3rd Year", Mrs. Park called after his roll number had been called.

Kyungsoo’s heart stopped for a second upon spotting Seungwan and her friend, Soojung, walking up the stage as another group got called along, and for a minute he thought he was just seeing things.

"You need to prepare a presentation on 'Poetry as a way of expression' in English, Time limit 10 mins. And your moderator is none other than me", Mrs. Park told them, and the other group after they were done greeting each other.

Kyungsoo barely heard what she said. He was too lost trying to process the situation at hand. He had to prepare a presentation with her, with…..Seungwan. He felt light headed as he thought about how he had been trying to avoid her. It was like the universe was bent on making this as hard for him as possible. Absent mindedly, he let out an incredulous laugh, which made the people around him pause to look at him.

"What’s so funny, Mr. Kyungsoo?", Mrs. Park didn’t look amused, and Seungwan’s friend was also looking at him like he was retarded or something.

"What?", Kyungsoo snapped back into reality at Mrs. Park's question. "No-no, Ma'am. I was just.....clearing my throat", he tried to sound normal, but to no avail. Even a blind and deaf person could tell how nervous he was.

"Really?", Mrs Park asked sarcastically and then immediately her expression became solemn "You report to me next Friday! Get going now!"

"Yes, Ma'am", they bowed quickly started to go to towards the other end of the stage, Seungwan and Soojung following close behind him.

This cannot be happening, Kyungsoo went back to the world of his thoughts as soon as they turned to go. He almost tripped over a stair as they neared the end of the stairs but Seungwan caught his arm just in time and steadied him.

"You Okay?", she asked, her eyes filled with concern and he reflexively yanked his arm out of her grip, like he had been burned by the contact.

"I'm fine!", he said, smiling artificially, and only realized belatedly how rudely he’d just acted. Even if Seungwan was hurt by his behavior, she masked it well under her concern for him.

"Well why don't we go to the café and talk about our presentation while having lunch?", Soojung, who had been standing silently on one side, observing the whole thing, suggested.

"No!", Kyungsoo replied impulsively and regretted it again. What was wrong with him?

"What I mean is – “, he continued in a politer tone, facing Soojung, avoiding Seungwan's eyes "- that why don't we skip doing this today? You people give me your emails and I'll contact you on when we should get together to discuss our presentation”, he unlocked his cellphone and handed it to Soojung.

"Meanwhile you people should think up ideas, I will too", he added as Soojung handed him his phone back. "I'll send you some material to read over the weekend. Have a good day!", he said quickly and left without even glancing at Seungwan.

Kyungsoo bumped into a chair again as he reached the exit door of the auditorium and winced in pain. But he didn't stop to take a look at it and just walked – limped – out.

_

As she watched him go, Seungwan started feeling uncomfortable. He's definitely acting weird....

"This guy's weird", Soojung commented, making a face as they watched Kyungsoo leaving, bumping and what not.

"No, he isn't. He's just having a bad day I guess", Seungwan defended him, her eyes still on Kyungsoo. The guy hadn’t met her eyes once. And when she’d touched him….you’re just overthinking it! She berated herself.

"Of course, you would think so", Soojung turned to Seungwan with a smirk and a knowing look.

"What?", Seungwan just stared at her and then rolled her eyes. "Let's just.....go" She started walking towards the exit.  Soojung ran to her side, prepared to tease all the information she could out of her friend.

_

"So when are you planning to confess to him?" Soojung asked Seungwan after Taeyeon told her all about Seungwan's crush that evening.

Taeyeon was getting ready to leave for her job at the library. She’d gotten it when she entered the university, as she’d always wanted to stop being dependent on the money her father sent her. The only thing she’d ever wanted from her father was love and attention and since he couldn’t give her that she didn’t want anything else from him either. Not if she could help it.

"Like never", Seungwan responded flatly, not looking up from the book she was reading.

"Why not?", Soojung protested.

"Because....what if he rejects me?", She stated plainly.

"Oh really? That's your excuse? Sorry but I didn't expect you to be such a weakling", Soojung gave her a wan look.

"Easy for you to say, since guys literally line up to date you!"

"That's not the point, Seungwan!", Soojung looked annoyed. "How can you assume beforehand that he'll reject you?"

“Because I….”, The other girl was at a loss of words.

"She has a point, Wendy”, Taeyeon spoke, tying up her hair. Seungwan pursed her lips and gave them wary books before turning back to her book.

……………………………………………………..

"May I come in?", Mrs. Son revealed her smiling self then, with a slight knock on their door.

"Sure Mom", Seungwan got up and put her book away.

"I want to talk to you about something", Mrs. Son said eyeing her daughter guardedly as she sat on the bed across from her.

"O....Kay, what is it?", Seungwan didn't like the sound of it.

"I.....I set you up on a date", Her mother said, with a solemn expression. Seungwan visibly sighed, deflating like a balloon. It was already the fifth time that year that she was being set up, and the first four times she’d somehow evaded by making up excuses, usually involving her studies as her mother never put anything before education.

"I won't hear any excuses this time, Seungwan!", Mrs. Son immediately warned. "You’ve given me enough excuses before, this time you’ll have to go. I’ve already checked your schedule and you can spare some time this Sunday”

"Mom, but I have four books to review for the college magazi – “, Seungwan began but was interrupted.

“No excuses”, her mother put up a hand to stop her and got that (scary) determined look that she rarely got. And that too mostly with Sehun. Seungwan knew she was in trouble.

"Okay", Seungwan bent her head, accepting her fate. I'll just go this once and comeback after refusing politely. She didn't know why, but it felt wrong, like she was cheating, but she shook it away. She didn’t need to feel this way.

"So who's the guy?", Taeyeon, who’d been watching the whole thing from the side with Soojung finally asked.

"Oh, I'll show you the picture!", Mrs. Son said excitedly, picking up her phone, "You remember that new friend I told you about Seungwan? It's her son!", She opened the picture and showed it to the three of them. "Isn't he handsome?"

Seungwan's heart almost stopped when her eyes fell on the image.

"Oh My God", Both Taeyeon and Soojung exclaimed at the same time, and then turned to smirk at Seungwan, but she was too lost gaping at the picture to see or hear anything.

--------------------------------------------------------------------