8: Getting To You

My Love That Is Forever

"Baekhyun why did you wear these here? To the Uni?", Minseok asked, genuinely curious. His friend was wearing skates and having a lot of fun skating around on the marbled floor of Humanities building that late morning.

"What do you mean why, hyung? It's fun!", Baekhyun called back excitedly, twirling around. Minseok heaved an exasperated sigh.

"Would you please stop you'll hit some-" Minseok was cut-off as Baekhyun ran into Jongdae, who was just entering the building with Chanyeol, knocking him over and causing him to land on his backside.

"Yah!!" Jongdae shrieked indignantly at Baekhyun who just said "Oops sorry" and continued skating around in circles nonchalantly. Jongdae stood up himself, having gotten no help from Baekhyun, and fixed his clothes. Minseok just shook his head.

It was only his third day at the university, but Baekhyun was already acting like it was his home ground, waving and greeting random people as they passed by. They replied to his overly familiar gestures awkwardly since they didn't know him and him treating the floor as a ski resort wasn’t helping things either.

Soon he saw Taeyeon on her way back from class, talking to a girl. He waved excitedly at her like they were friends who had known each other for a long time. But she just ignored him.

Baekhyun, unaffected by her cold response shouted her name loudly which echoed across the hall and then started to skate towards her, as Minseok, Jongdae and Chanyeol watched in horror. People around gave him and Taeyeon weird looks, but it didn’t bother Baekhyun as he glided towards her. Nothing would it appeared. Taeyeon turned towards him in anger, but she didn't even have time to react before he came crashing down on her.

Baekhyun lost his balance as he swerved to the right, trying to prevent himself from hitting a girl who came out of nowhere. And before he knew it, he was already falling down, using none other than Taeyeon as anchor, resulting in both of them landing on the floor, Baekhyun on top of her.

She moaned in pain as she hit the hard floor. Baekhyun looked up from her and on meeting her eyes, he swallowed hard. He hadn't seen her up this close in years and his heart fluttered like a bird in a cage. Taeyeon’s cheeks burned with anger as she met his gaze that said many things, and Baekhyun knew she was furious.

………………………………………………………………

"Get off of me you jerk!", Taeyeon snapped, pushing him off her. Hands reached down to pull her up, and she stood up holding her back that ached. She looked up to see that it was Chanyeol, who looked more flustered than her.

"I-I apologize on my friend's behalf sunbae, he's not in a right state of mind right now!", Chanyeol bowed apologetically and then glared at Baekhyun who was taking his skates off, sulking.

"Forget it!", She was still furious. "And you!", She turned towards Baekhyun who was rubbing his arm where it hurt, as he stood up with help from Jongdae. His expression got solemn at her calling him out like that. "You and I need to talk!", she took him by his hurting arm and dragged him towards a corner as he muttered apologies.

"Leave me!", he snapped at her as he freed his wrist from her hold roughly. Who does she think she -

"Who do you think you are to talk to me so informally?!", she scolded him as she turned around to face him in the corner of the hallway under the stairs. "And how dare you jump on me?!"

"I didn't jump on you! It was an accident!”, Baekhyun explained, nonplussed by her accusations. “And what else would I call you by if not your name?"

"I am your senior in rank as well as age-"

"Since when did that become a concern – “

"Byun Baekhyun! I'm warning you! I don't know where you left your manners but I won't tolerate it if you try and act like everything's okay between us! We're not friends alright!"

"Would you stop please! We used to be friends remember?", His tone got softer.

"No I don't!”, She bellowed.  “And neither do I want to! Stop following me if you don't want to get killed!", she stomped away furiously, before he even had time to properly process her warnings.

"I am not follow-", he started to call after her but she was already walking away. “God, you’re irritating!”

_

That day, after Kyungsoo's Strategic Management class ended, there was an announcement over the sound system in the BM building.

"Attention students!", the voice of their Human Resources professor spoke over the speakers. "In an attempt to promote healthy peer relations between seniors and juniors, as part of the newly introduced "Olwen Bullying Prevention Program", the college authorities have decided to divide the students into groups, each consisting of two juniors and one senior, who will collaborate to prepare a presentation on a subject allotted to them", there were loud groans from the students still in the classroom as well as in the hallway.

"The subject allotted to you will not be one of your course subjects, and the top 10 best presenters will have the honor of delivering their presentation at the Creative Conference in February the coming year. Each group will have to report about their progress to a Moderator assigned to them, every Friday and a group of Moderators will decide the top 10." More groans.

"What? Why are you guys groaning? You should take pride, we are the first department at this University to have started working on this program!", There were mooing sounds this time.

"Better get your asses moving, you lazy cows! You meet your respective group partners tomorrow in the auditorium at 2:00 sharp!", Mrs. Park scolded them. Laughs were heard.

Kyungsoo smiled and then sighed, thinking about a girl he thought about a lot these days. One more thing to get my mind off her!

_

 

Why did I let him get to me?

Taeyeon sighed as she thought about the fight she had earlier with Baekhyun. She had been regretting it since she had calmed down. And honestly, it was distracting her from her work.

I am supposed to be the grown up, the mature one. She kept thinking, not able to take her mind off it.

But it wasn't really her fault. She just couldn't control her anger after he ambushed her like that. She suddenly remembered the back ache she was having and winced, heaving a sigh again. The old wound on her back that hurt brought back memories she’d thought she’d forgotten.

Her mother had died when she was ten, and ever since that father had always been too busy, and had never given her the time or attention a child deserved, just material things that she needed.

She had especially felt hurt when her father re-married, just a year after her mother's death when she was only twelve and had shifted to Australia with his new family sometime later when she got into High School. She had never expected much from her father, but she still loved him and it hurt her a lot when he left like that, leaving her all alone. Her father's behavior was one of the reasons behind Taeyeon's distrust towards the opposite gender, that was to solidify with a certain boy’s actions some years later.

And that was why despite the constant insistence of her friends (who’d eventually left her alone realizing she wasn’t going to be fazed), she hadn’t dated in a long time. She knew better than to leave herself vulnerable again. I have more important aims to fulfill in my life than to waste my time and feelings on someone who’d only hurt me in the end.

But meeting Baekhyun again….it brought up emotions she had worked hard to suppress. And it was making her crankier than she normally was. And that was saying something.

"You okay?", Yixing asked from her side. They were both sitting in the library since they had two free hours before Yixing's next class, to discuss the topic of their thesis documentary.

"Yeah I am fine. Just....my back hurts a little", she replied with a weak smile.

"Where? Should I take a look at it?", he asked.

"No its fine, it'll probably go away once I rest"

"If you had told me earlier, we could've skipped discussing this today"

"It's not a problem really"

They continued to draw up brain maps for another half an hour or so. When she finally got up to go, she suddenly remembered she had promised Soojung to be her dancing buddy at the Dance Studio after university hours today. Soojung was the head of the Dance Club, so it happened with habitual frequency them dancing together. The exercise always helped, so despite the pain in her back she decided to go. God knew she needed to get her mind off other things with it, especially today.

 “Don't stress too much, everything will work out", Yixing said with reassuring smile, giving her a shoulder pat, as they came down the stairs from the Library.

"Okay. Thanks for everything", She waved him goodbye and then called Soojung. She didn't notice as Baekhyun and his friends came out of their class and stood at the end of the hallway, talking.

"Fine, I'll go change. See you", she said, ending her call with Soojung, who said that she was on her way to the Humanities Building where the Dance Studio was located.

Taeyeon was about to turn around to go when she heard a loud enthusiastic voice shout "Baekhyun Hyung!", She looked up to see a High School student, tall and tan. She faintly recognized him but couldn't put her finger on it.

Right behind him, was Kyungsoo. And she discerned that the High School student was his younger brother, Jongin. She smiled realizing how much he’d grown up but brushed away the thought quickly and started walking towards the Dance Studio located at the other end of the building, catching Baekhyun’s eye in scorn for a second before moving on. Baekjerk.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Just wanted to say, I'll hopefully start recommending songs to go along the parts soon. I'll mention them in between.

Thanks for reading!