36: Stolen Butterflies and Mistle-toes

My Love That Is Forever

Something told Baekhyun, he was going to get answers to all his confusing questions today.

He smiled as he got ready for the Christmas party they had all been invited to by Kyungsoo, fixing his black tie in the mirror. He went on to line his eyes with kohl, smiling in amusement when he thought about how his friends would look wearing it, with the plan he had in mind. One look towards the clock told him they would be outside his house any minute and he hurriedly put on his watch and grabbed his wallet.

Baekhyun had refrained himself from thinking too much since their bowling on Sunday, because it was of no use, instead focusing on being his normal jaunty self like his friends wanted. He would let his heart decide for him, because he was done regretting. Even if it was faint, the regret of not owning his feelings and being too scared to face them had indeed haunted him, and he wasn't going to do that again.

Maybe it was because a part of him had already decided what it wanted, Baekhyun left his apartment that Christmas afternoon in much more joyous mood than what he had been going around with for the past week.

_

"I am telling you, it's a part of the theme. Kyungsoo told me himself!", Baekhyun was now onto fooling his fourth victim, which happened to be Yixing, into putting on kohl.

"Are you sure? Cause I talked to Kyungsoo in detail last night and he didn't say any such thing?", Yixing was starting to fall for his attempts. He had reached the restaurant earlier with Sehun and Taeyeon to see the arrangements. Taeyeon was out giving instructions to the caterers and Sehun had run-off to 'check on something' (which Yixing safely assumed was himself in the restroom mirror, the guy was way too caught with his appearance nowadays) when Baekhyun had arrived with Junmyeon, Chanyeol and Jongdae, all giving off rather antagonistic vibes with their eyes lined in black.

"I'm sure, hyung. It's like so in these days! He probably forgot to tell you", He quickly opened the liner, and though Yixing was still reluctant, he obliged as Baekhyun lined his eyes.

Sehun came out of the restroom whistling, and Baekhyun had barely had to tell him that he would look very bad-boyish and attractive in it, when the younger himself jumped on the opportunity to get the kohl put on his eyes as well.

"What the hell is going on?", Kyungsoo arrived with Jongin and his mother to find his friends looking like they had jumped straight out of a bad mafia-action movie.

Baekhyun exchanged eye gestures with Jongdae, Sehun and Jongin (who didn't even know what was going on but was ready to play his part in whatever mischievous activity was going on without hesitation) and the three pounced on a very confused Kyungsoo and pinned him against the nearest wall. He struggled to free himself but it was no use against three grown up guys, even if his brute strength was more than most guys as Baekhyun started working his magic on his eyes. The result was a very smudged application, because he kept resisting, turning his head this way and that.

"You're dead once I get my hands on you, Byun!", Kyungsoo warned, after having finally being released, shooting daggers at his friend who was ready to hide behind the nearest person he found if Kyungsoo got within a foot of him.

"Don't try to take it off, it's water proof!", Baekhyun winked and blew the angry lad a kiss which further aggravated him. Jongin, not wanting to stay behind, had already taken the bottle of black liquid from Baekhyun and was standing peacefully in a corner as Sehun applied it on him.

Chanyeol, who had gone out to check the props for entertainment part of the afternoon, returned at the time only to run into a glowering Kyungsoo. He yelped in fright and clung tightly onto Baekhyun.

"Why the hell did you put that on him? He's scary enough as it is!", The tall guy remarked, trying to stay as far from the beastly-looking Kyungsoo as possible. Baekhyun just laughed in return and Kyungsoo shook his head, knowing it was no use to waste his energies getting angry at his friend's pranks. Today was an important day, and he didn't want to be grumpy when he met Seungwan, so he let it go.

"So, it was all you? Pulling our leg?", Junmyeon, who had been watching the show from a side with Yixing, asked in disappointment. He should have known Kyungsoo would never recommend doing something this ostentatious.

"Merry Christmas lovelies!", Baekhyun said in a sickly-sweet tone and Yixing snorted, amused at his friend's antics, while Junmyeon just shook his head and went to look for his date who he had seen conversing with Sehun a few minutes ago.

_

Taeyeon was returning to the restaurant hall they had booked after checking on the catering arrangements, when she was joined by Mrs. Son the rest of her family. She had been feeling a little low since that morning and was thankful that there were going to be only a few guests she didn't know, at the party today because she could only keep up fake smiles for so long.

"You sure you're okay?", She asked Seungwan, taking her hand lightly to somehow channel some comfort. The girl was putting up a brave-front but Taeyeon knew how much in pain she actually was, from the way she winced at the lightest touch to anywhere near her abdomen. She was doing it all just so she could have a perfect Christmas with Kyungsoo, Taeyeon knew they were having their first official date today and as much as she wanted to just scold her to put her health before a guy, she couldn't. The girl had wanted this for so long and if it really made her happy, she could let it go this once. Kyungsoo better know how damn lucky he is, she said in her head. But she trusted him too, knew that he returned her feelings even if it had taken them both painfully long to accept and get on with them.

"I'm fine", Seungwan gave her a smile that turned out to be more of a grimace as she felt a sharp pain sear through her stomach. She groaned inwardly, she had taken the pain-killers just an hour ago, had they lost their affect already?

All her thoughts and pain disappeared though as soon as Kyungsoo came into her view. Was she seeing things or had he really put make-up on his eyes?

"Hello Seung", Kyungsoo greeted with a million-dollar smile and Seungwan barely restrained herself from swooning. The black suit he was wearing with the black lining his eyes was giving him a very bad-boy look and she felt immensely attracted. Taeyeon left them both after exchanging Christmas greetings with Kyungsoo, and giving him knowing looks.

"Are you okay?", He asked in concern, taking in his newly officiated girlfriend's form. She looked so much weaker than the last time he had seen her just a few days back and though she had tried hard to hide her eye-bags and saggy skin behind the layer of make-up but it wasn't fooling him. "You don't look so good?"

"I don't? And here I thought you were going to compliment me...", Seungwan feigned hurt.

Kyungsoo made a face. "I didn't mean you don't look pretty...you do. Beautiful, really. Red suits you well", He complimented her without any inhibitions. She looked as mesmerizing as ever in the red frock that hugged her around the torso, with her light brown locks flowing down her shoulders, like he always liked them. But she also looked like she was in pain and that was what worried him.

Seungwan flashed him her best smile and then linked her arm with his, like it was the most natural thing in the world, surprising him. "Shall we go meet the others? Let's not waste time talking about whether I'm ill or not for now. Ok?"

If her intention had been to distract him, it had worked as he reluctantly let go of his worries and decided to enjoy the moment as they walked together towards their friends.

_

"Who are these people?", Mrs. Son, who had been chatting with Mrs. Do as they walked inside the hall, inquired, feeling creeped out by the number of boys running around looking like gangsters with kohl in their eyes.

"Hello Aunty!", A tall blood red-haired guy – Chanyeol was it? He looked so different what she remembered the guy to be, from the few times he had come over with Junmyeon and Jongdae over the last few months for watching movies with Sehun -  appeared out of nowhere bowing to them, his right angled bow and ear-to-ear grin so in contrast to his unorthodox get-up. "Merry Christmas!"

Mrs. Do smiled lightly at how uncomfortable her friend looked seeing the kids running around like that. "Merry Christmas Chanyeol! How have you been?"

Mrs. Son returned Chanyeol's greeting and then turned to her side as he and Mrs. Do fell into chatter. Her eyes almost bulged out of their sockets when she turned to find her very own son and potential future son-in-law supporting the same kind of notorious looks.

"Sehun?", Her question was enough to convey her shock over finding them like that, a she approached the group and Kyungsoo turned towards her immediately, feeling perturbed at the disapproval so clear in her eyes.

"Merry Christmas Omo-nim! I'm so sorry about this....", He repeated the apology he had just given to Seungwan as well, who had been more than understanding – thrilled really – about it, as he lightly hugged her mother in greeting.

Mrs. Son smiled at the familiarity of his tone, feeling a bit of her worry settle. "Merry Christmas Kyungsoo! What's with the gangster looks?"

"Oh please, Mom! This look is hot nowadays! And it's 'bad-boy' not 'gangster", Sehun parroted Baekhyun, to which she made a face.

"It's just something my friend decided to prank us all about. I'm sorry if it comes off as too inappropriate for the occasion...", Kyungsoo thanked the Lord he had gotten his eyes repaired somewhat with the moisturizer Baekhyun had (the guy had come fully prepared). He hadn't taken the whole thing off, despite Kyungsoo's constant whining, but something was better than nothing.

"Oh, it's fine...", Mrs. Son waved her hand, half-heartedly.

"He did it to impress Seungwan Noona!", Jongin chimed in, and Mrs. Son's eyes brightened. "Did he now?"

Kyungsoo opened his mouth to deny but was hushed into silence as Soojung spoke up first. "He did! And she's so impressed she hasn't been able to keep her hands off him. Look!" She gestured to their linked arms.

Seungwan's face flared up and she tried to let go of his arm but Jongin and Soojung moved in closer on each side of them, making them pin together and she didn't have enough space to do so.

"Well, it does seem like that...", Mrs. Son seemed pleasantly surprised. Her daughter seemed happy and that boosted her spirits.

_

"Hi Taeyeon", Baekhyun greeted, feeling a little hot around the collar.

He had spotted her as soon as she had entered with Seungwan, and had been thinking of the best way to approach her. Maybe it was because he hadn't seen her in over a week, but  she took his breath away again, clad in a simple white lace frock that reached her knees. But she looked a little downcast, Baekhyun had noted, as he had finally found her standing alone near the table where cutleries were laid out, probably checking them.

"Hello", Taeyeon replied solemnly. Her father's news had probably numbed her senses, because she felt no butterflies whatsoever as she looked at him. At least some good has come out of it, she thought ruefully as she went back to checking the spoons for the three-course-meal they were to have.

Baekhyun frowned at her less than enthusiastic response. "Are you okay?"

Taeyeon looked at him. "Yeah. Why?"

"You look a little...down?"

Taeyeon simply shook her head, before moving on.

"Merry Christmas by the way!", Baekhyun tried cheerily.

She gave him a weak smile. "Merry Christmas"

Taeyeon walked on to meet some of the other guests that had arrived, leaving Baekhyun in deep thought. Is something bothering her?

_

As soon as the food got served and the it's aroma reached her nose, Seungwan felt bile rise in . She rushed towards the restroom that was located down the end of the lobby and dry heaved over the toilet. There was nothing left to come out considering she had hardly eaten anything since yesterday.

Maybe I should ask him to take me to the hospital already, she thought of Kyungsoo.

Taking out the small mouthwash she had brought with herself, she quickly gargled, feeling dizzier by the second and went out into the lobby. She was in no mood of going back into the hall right then and get attacked with the savoury aromas again so she sat down on one of the benches in the lobby and leaned her head back to rest while she waited.

_

Taeyeon said goodbye to Junmyeon and Irene (who had another family Christmas thing they had to get to, so had taken their leave early) and her eyes landed on the waiter carrying a tray of champagne glasses. She didn't like drinking, in whatever forms that might be but today was an exception. Without thinking too much, she quickly grabbed a glass a gulped it down in one go, the burning sensation in taking her mind off other things.

Looking around, her eyes landed on a trolley stacked with champagne bottles that was being pushed away into the back of the hall and out the services door by a waiter.

Something came over her suddenly and she ran towards him before kindly asking for one of the bottles and an opener.

Stop it! A part of her mind reprimanded her for the recklessness. You're going to regret it later...

But the thing was, she didn't care. For the first time in a long time, she wanted to just let herself go and not think about anything else. Not about her father or his selfishness or Baekhyun, she just wanted it all to be gone.

And champagne, of all things, was much too appealing a savior at that moment.

She looked around furtively and seeing as almost everyone was busy in eating, she slipped out through one of the side doors and into a lobby.

_

Where is she?

Kyungsoo took out his phone and dialed Seungwan's number. He hadn't seen her since the end of the perfomance after they had gone to change back into their suits, and neither during the time they were eating. Not that he was a creepy boyfriend or anything, but considering the fact that she was ill and hadn't been in the hall for a good 30 minutes now, was making him worry.

"Sunbae"

Her voice made him turn on his heels, from where he was standing near the glass windows, and worry washed over him as he saw how pale she looked.

"What happened?", he took quick steps towards her, putting away his cell-phone.

"Nothing", She gave him a weak smile as he came to stand in front of her. "I'm fine"

"No, you're not. Have you eaten anything?"

"I actually – “

"Look who's under the mistletoe!", Jongdae's exclamation cut her off and they both turned in his direction and then up towards the Christmas wreath hanging on their heads. The rest of the people who were left (mostly their friends and family), gave them knowing looks.

"Kiss! Kiss! Kiss! Kiss!",

Baekhyun started the chorus, clanking his spoon against his glass and the rest of them joined in merrily.

A little colored returned to Seungwan's face as her heart leaped in her chest. The tips of Kyugsoo's ears turned pink too though his face remained calm.

"Come on kiss her!", Chanyeol cajoled mischievously.

"Yeah, do it!", Yixing chimed in excitedly which gave Kyungsoo pause.

"It is tradition", Mrs. Son gave him an encouraging smile, that felt more like a permission than anything else.

Kyungsoo looked at Seungwan helplessly. It wasn't that he didn't want to kiss her, God knew he did, he just didn't want to do it in front of an audience. But considering his friends weren't going to stop with their catcalls, he decided on something a little less dramatic.

"Let's just...", He looked at Seungwan, hoping she would understand what he meant and she did, nodding solemnly in consent.

His heart racing, he leaned into to drop a chaste kiss on her cheek, the sensation lingering for an infinity and he barely managed to pull way amidst cheers and some groans (probably from Baekhyun and Jongin, who were expecting a little more action), which he ignored.

Maybe it was the butterflies from the kiss, or the hypoglycemia from not having eaten anything combined with the exhaustion from her illness, but the world started spinning fast around Seungwan, and she barely registered the shock on Kyungsoo's face or the gasps that followed, as she collapsed into his arms.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Heyyyyy, everyone, hope you're all taking lots of care! This update is a happy one to cheer you all up. I hope you all liked it! The coming chapters are going to be even more cheery, so stay tuned!

Thankyou for reading!