Red as the Dawn

Solstice
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Red as the Dawn

Robin

“Oh wow.” I muttered as I saw a huge giant guarding a big steel and heavily armoured gate. The gate had two cross overlapping spears and bones, two pairs of bow & arrow on each side and a warrior helmet above. 

Is this home? Why am I scared to go in? 

The giant looked back at my wolf, and back at me again. 

I remembered Dahyun telling me that my father’s kingdom is guarded by a titan god of war named Pallas. And I think this is him. 

“H-hi..” I stammered. He was bigger than both Raven & I. I gulped at his huge size. He stared me down. 

“What’s the password?” He said in a loud voice. 

I scoffed. 

“Is he serious right now?” I whispered to Raven beside me. He huffed and nod in reply. 

I feel like the stupidest princess alive when I decided to joke and made fart noises using my arm. 

In a surprise, Pallas laughed which shook the ground we were standing on. 

“Woah..” I said as I grabbed hold of Raven. 

“I knew you were one of us, your highness.” He finally said after. 

The gates opened on its own and I was greeted by the bright light behind it. 

“Welcome to Enyalius.” Pallas said gesturing me to go in. 

“Thanks, Pallas.”

He looked taken aback after I thanked him. Doesn’t he received much thank you’s? 

Raven pushed me forward to walk. I feel especially that I’m not wearing my glasses anymore. My sight is definitely back to being 20/20 but.. the comfort of hiding behind the glasses was what I need right now. I fixed the metal bow I made earlier hanging around my body while I gathered my hair to the side as if it made a difference. 

They said I was a princess? I should look like one right?? 

Who am I kidding. I’m no Princess. My chucks is distressed and worn out, my pants were muddy and my white shirt is.. well. not white anymore. 

Some princess. I thought to myself after I rolled my eyes. 

Although I was quite nervous meeting my Dad and brothers. I wonder if they’ll like me.. 

I was woken up of my reverie after a flying beer can passed by my face. What the??

“Order up!!!” A lady in large armour and braids yelled out. 

This place is noisy and rowdy. There were bands every step I go. There were fighting too. Loud rough-housing. Men wrestling, watching and betting on a live fight match, there were drunk men singing loudly too and a whole lots of drinking. 

I saw a bit of the match when one guy turned into flames and used his ability to throw a fireball towards his opponent. The other contender moulded a metal in his hands made a shield. 

What is this place..

“Raven, are you sure we’re at the right place?” I turned around to see my wolf no where in sight.

I thought he was just trailing behind me? How can I lose a 5 foot wolf?? 

What suddenly surprised me was, some of the citizens started to recognize me after I pass by. One beer house became quiet as they saw my presence, and they all curtsied at me as they took off their hats in respect. 

“O..kay..” I uttered to no one as I continued to walk forward.

And while I walked, I came to a halt when I sensed danger upon me.

“Heads up!!!” I heard a guy yell out. And there I saw an arrow coming right through me. I quickly bent to my right to dodge the arrow. It flung straight on my left and I watched it aim at a target board attached to one of the beer houses behind me. 

I spotted another target board from afar. Farther than the one that was targeted. 

A guy in a red armoured suit suddenly appeared in front of me. “Sorry about that. They.. were playing tag.” He apologized. 

His voice was deep, he had perfectly buffed biceps and quite tall too. He looked young, I feel like he’s around my age. 

“That’s how you play tag?” My head tilted perplexed.

“Not close than you just witnessed.” He corrected with a smirk on his face. 

I don’t know if I’m just seeing things but his eyes flickered red. It looked familiar. He was definitely charming. Sharp strong jaws, broad nose, plump lips and deep set eyes.

Guy was raging testosterone. 

“Nice to meet you, princess.” He smiled after kneeling before me. 

“I’d like to finally introduce myself.” He stood back to face my height. "I’m Jackson Wang, General of the Crimson Guard, Son of the 1st Lieutenant Warrior, Great grandson of Ajax..” He paused before adding. “Single, wild & y.” His smile was cheeky. 

It was annoyingly cute, I admit. But the irritation is more greater than the latter. 

I scoffed after he offered his hand for a shake. This guy is too full of himself. I bet he’s the type to get a lot of girls too. 

I was smiling stupidly thinking of a witty come back to play his game. 

Before I do, I paused feeling another sense of danger coming our way. I quickly took off the bow around my body while I watch the Jackson guy observing my haste. 

I spotted the arrow meters away already flinging towards us.

Jackson tilted his head, momentarily making me remember what Raven used to do. 

“What are you—?” 

“Duck.” I ordered.

“Watch out!!!!” Another guy yelled from afar. Jackson surprised me as he swiftly shifted to his side after hearing the yell. 

Swifts. I recall the ability. 

He dodged to his left and as the arrow shot pass him, I swiftly caught it with my hands before I spun around and flung it straight to another target board farther from the one behind us and it hit straight to a couple of beer cans some men were holding and right into the middle eye of the target board. 

“Bullseye, baby.” I muttered my now favorite phrase. I smirked shooting Jackson a look. He looked back proud as if he wasn’t surprised. 

Everyone was quiet when they saw what I did. 

“Who.. is she?” 

One of the guys wearing the same armour and colors as Jackson, suddenly appeared with two other friends, they looked around the same age as I am. 

“I’m Robin. I was told that I’m the daughter of King Enyalius..” I paused to the small crowd before turning back to Jackson. “Single & not your type to mess with.” I smirked. 

He pursed his lips trying to bite back a smile. 

“Oh, it’s you. Your highness.” The guys in armours knelt down before me. 

“I’d like to meet my father please.” I said quickly getting back to the point asking any one who can possibly help. 

Oh how I give to have Raven back my side. 

“Of course.” Jackson answered on my side as he showed me the way to a castle. 

The environment was noisy, everyone was busy doing who knows what, often times bowing and curtsying when they saw me. Sometimes murmuring if I was who they think I was. Some gawking and openly stare while I remained shy and uncomfortable. 

A common occurrence while we walk was when some girls pass by us giggling over Jackson before noticing me and curtsying. I can tell he’s really popular with the women here. 

I don’t blame them. He really is a head turner. 

“Do you..” I found my voice as we walked. 

“Yes, princess?” His brow lifted in question as he turned to me with his arms crossed in his back. 

“Happen to know.. where my wolf is..” I queried.

I watched him gulp and blink at my question.

“You know.. he’s 5 foot.. like a bear, all black.. you possibly can’t miss him.. I came with him today.. and.. he just.. was suddenly gone.” I recalled trying to look around hoping I might see a familiar wolf somewhere. 

“Ah.. He.. um..” He stammered, eyeballs gazing to the floor looking like he’s coming up for an answer. 

“He’s just around, I think.. Wolves around here are mischievous..” He answered with a slight chuckle while rubbing his neck. 

My expression was still uncomfortable knowing I don’t have Raven beside me. I catch Jackson looking back at me before he turned his gaze back up front. 

The castle was indeed magnificent in size when we reached. My head crane back at the glorious sight. It was bricked black, dark red and majestic. There was another steel bar gate guarding the entrance. It instantly opened up after the guards saw us approach.

I followed Jackson as he accompany me up the stairs. From above the steps I could clearly see the Kingdom of Enyalius and all of it’s glory. Various metal gates donned every architecture. Fire was a common sight around every corner and the insignia of Enyalius was marked at every structure.

We were greeted by an empty throne room. It was massive, the chair was woven into various old metal swords. The insignia of swords and crossbones were marked everywhere. I wouldn’t be surprised if the cutlery in here is too.

My fingers suddenly trembled, I felt a warm rush of blood on my veins. I suddenly grew conscious of the surrounding while I hear the whirling and wheezing sound of electricity running around the room. The lights flickered turning Jackson’s head towards the ceiling and back at me. I shifted away from his gaze as I continued to walk forward.

The sound of the electricity is rather loud when we entered despite the empty space. There wasn’t anyone sitting at the big throne. I was expecting someone to greet me there but I had a different welcoming. 

“I could’ve sworn.. the King was..” Jackson uttered in my side. 

There was a loud explosion at the deeper end of the hall, jolting me into a surprise. The sound was close to a bomb exploding. 

“Enyo!! Eris!!! I told you to stop obliterating the furniture!!!” A loud manly voice yelled through the hall while a trail of small giggles ensued. 

“I swear if I catch you two again!!!” He yelled again as he walked out of the hall. 

A small body ran speedily across him almost tripping him while he walked. 

“I’ll feed you to the wolves if I get fed up with—“ He jokingly threatened and was stopped when he saw me. 

King Enyalius was freakishly tall, almost like a giant. Taller than Jackson but smaller than the Titan guard Pallas. He had a huge frame, broad shoulders, huge muscles formed in his biceps around his deep crimson red uniform, his figure made Jackson appear tiny. 

“Hemera? Hemera Athenai?? Sweetie, is that you???” He then said to me. 

I suddenly felt overwhelmed before I calmed myself and smiled. 

“Was my brothers stressing you, Fath—King.. Enyalius?” I said trying to smile not sure if I’m allowed to call him father or dad. 

“I don’t care if they did now and you can call me Dad/Father/Papa whatever you want. Come here, my little lady.” He said with open arms. I ran into his arms after waiting for years for a parental affection. 

He brought me up my feet and spun me around as he embraced my body tight and warmly in his hold. 

My Dad had a natural loud voice and a curly red beard. He smelled off smoke and heavily men scent. I took mental note of it because I love to remember moments like these. 

“Oh my dear, Hemera. I’ve missed you so much.” He said kissing my forehead after putting me back down.

“And my boy!” He beamed when he turned to Jackson behind me as he too gave him a hug. 

“I’m so happy you brought my princess here safe and—“ I watched as the King came to a full stop with his words when he looked in Jackson’s eyes while his large hands paused gripping at Jackson’s arms.

Their eyeballs were searching, brows was furrowed, expressions I can’t seem to grasp. Looking as if communicating without voice. Is this a custom here? Or is there a telepathic ability that I don’t know yet?

“You sure?” I heard my father whisper to him. 

Jackson nodded as if understanding what the question meant already. I observed in full curiosity. 

“Suit yourself.” King Enyalius turned his head back to me.

“You’ve met, Jackson, right princess?” He asked gripping Jackson’s shoulder.

“We.. had our introductions.” I explained to him curling my lips to a small smile. 

“Perfect.” He said. 

“Come, let’s go to the dining room and let’s talk about you.” He said holding my hand and escorting me to the dining room. 

I was surprised of his hold on mine. It was warm, yet large in size. My hands appeared tiny, almost invisible under his grasp. But I felt protected. I glanced at his metal cuffs in his wrists before turning back to observe the surroundings. 

It was definitely huge than the throne room. I guess my father liked this part of the house best. 

“This is my favorite part of our house, if you must know.” He disclosed turning his head back to us. 

I grinned.

“I figured from seeing this being more grand than the throne room.” I said pointing it out. 

He laughed loudly almost enough to shake the room as he sat at the head seat of the dining hall.

“Great eye.” He complimented. 

The dining room was massive, donned in full metal wear. The wheezing sound of electricity was inevident, but I can still hear it somewhere in the room, maybe somewhere in the kitchen. I shake my head in trance. 

Why am I noticing this?

On the side of the dining had a beautiful view of a vast land. I haven’t travelled a lot so this was definitely a sight. 

There was a painting on one side of the room of the King with two boys in his hand smiling, all had flaring red hair. Another painting was plastered on the side, with a baby girl in his hand. King Enyalius looked younger here. I took notice we all had ash grey eyes, despite me the only one with jet black hair. 

Even if I was born out of metal and cloud, my brother’s and I had our father’s eyes, undoubtedly belonging in this family. By the floor below my father and I was a young version of my wolf. Black coat and glimmering crimson red eyes with a cape on his side that had the insignia of Enyalius. The same one that was in my blanket when I arrived at the mansion. 

I smiled as I traced my fingers at the painting of Raven sitting proud. I felt Jackson at my peripheral vision, watching me as I focus on the painting.

“Raven, one of our best warriors, and your loyal guardian.” King Enyalius said as he noticed me observing it. 

“I miss him, father. Do you know where he is?” I turned my head back to my dad who was already fixing a napkin on his chest armour. 

He came to a stop. “Uh..” He drawled as he looked back at Jackson who was standing at the corner of the room, hands crossed at the back standing guard. 

“H-he.. is around somewhere, sweetheart. Let’s ask for him later on.” King Enyalius said smiling back at me with an assuring smile. 

“Horion!! Gather loads of food, my daughter has arrived!!!” He yelled out surprising me with his loud voice again as I sat on his left side. 

“Horion is the best chef in our Kingdom.” He then disclosed to me. 

“I see he’s doing his job well too.” I said pointing out his belly hiding behind his metal armour. He then chuckled loudly. 

“Tell me about you? How have you been?” He asked while some maids went out and started to lay out plates of food. 

I watched them hide their giggle seeing Jackson by the corner. I tried to ignore the sight. 

“You tell me, Dad. I’ve been orphaned for many years and I just recently knew I have a father who’s a king and.. two siblings..” I shared. 

“Oh my dear, Hemera..” His expression looked sullen. “I apologize for it is for your own good and safety.” He said after laying a caring hand over mine.

“I didn’t forget you though, I trained your guardian.. Ja—Raven myself..” He shared before stealing a glance back at Jackson and back at me. 

“..And year after year I always remember you and ask you from the Gods to how you were or how you’ve been and I pray that you are always well and brave.” He disclosed. I smiled at him. 

It feels nice to have a parent worrying about you. 

“After Dias told us that he wants you to wed one of his sons, I was furious. I along with two other kingdoms, whom I assume you already know by now?” 

I nodded in response.

“Yes, Horae and Hecate.” 

“Yes. Our kingdoms united as we planned to banish you girls for protectio

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter