House of Whispers

Solstice
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
House of Whispers

Jisoo

The Kingdom of Horae was donned with white, blue and gold decals as I entered while I rode Echo. A vast majestic green space occupied most of the lands. It was definitely peaceful, majestic and grand. 

The citizens of the Kingdom wore various designs of pastel blues and white chiffon draped clothing with gold accessories and sandals. Each village had beautiful white picket fences that guarded glorious white & gold houses. 

I was amazed by the sight as Echo walked me through the Kingdom. I smiled at the sight of the kids running around and playing. Another end, a group of women were doing yoga by a hill atop a beautiful river beneath. I saw some people hovering in the air that looked like they’re meditating. 

Some people were growing plants. Literally. Their hands expertly brushing through the shrubs making new flowers bloom beneath their palms. Most of them had books in hand. 

My people..

I thought to myself at the sight of every citizen reading. 

When some citizens spotted Echo in his magnificent size, they’ve soon come to realise who I was. 

The mysterious girl riding her wolf. 

“It’s the princess..”

“She’s back..” 

They started to murmur amongst themselves. 

“I wonder what ability she possesses..”

Soon after, the citizens bowed down when they saw me. Making me uncomfortable at the sight not knowing how to respond. I immediately turned shy when I received such welcome. 

Am I really in the right place? 

I still have a lot of things to understand and get used to.

Echo brought me soon after to a castle which I assumed was where I was needed to be brought in. He lowered his body for me to easily get off.

“Thanks, boy..” I said back to Echo patting his head back. He gave a slight nod of acknowledgement at me. 

“Ahh, there’s my brothe—“ 

I turned around to see a guy step out the castle with arms open wide over to head to my wolf.  

Is he calling my wolf his brother?

He took cautious steps down the stairs looking over at Echo. 

“Brother!” He soon spoke back to me. “I call the wolves around here my brother because.. I.. um.. Turn crazy when it’s a full moon some times..” He tried to explain while he chuckled shyly.  

Weird. 

“Full moon?” My brows connected. 

“A-ahh..” His voice wavered looking back to Echo behind me as if searching for an answer. 

“Never mind that..” He fanned the thought away. 

“Anyway! Princess! I’m Lieutenant Youngjae, you can call me Youngjae. I am honoured to meet you.” He knelt down before me. I didn’t know how to react but smile politely. 

He was smiling weirdly as he looked back at Echo again eyeing him. 

My brows furrowed at his weird demeanour. Are all the citizens weird like him? 

“Um right! Please, come in. The Queens of Horae are waiting for you. Follow me.” He stood back to his feet and headed back up the stairs. 

“I’m sure you’re tired from the journey. Did my bro— Echo, give you a hard time?” He asked turning his head back to me. 

“No, he’s the perfect companion. He’s my best friend and my hero.” I sincerely smiled back Echo, who was trailing behind us before I caress his head.

“Good boy, Echo.” Youngjae said turning his head back to my wolf trying to engage in a cute voice almost treating him as a small puppy. 

A growl can be heard from my wolf when Youngjae almost patted his head. 

“Oh, I wouldn’t do that if I were you.. He’s a bit.. shaken today. He’s also a little bit off. Maybe he’s just tired.” I warned the Lieutenant who didn’t seem fazed. 

He clearly knew Echo before me as he showed a bit of closeness with him not even showing slightly frightened by Echo’s majestic stature. He might be one of those people who took care of him once when he was a pup, I’ll soon find out. 

We were greeted by shining silver armoured knights who immediately bowed as they obviously expected my arrival. I’m still not used to all the curtsying. I don’t know if I should mirror the gesture or something. 

Again, I smile shyly back at them. 

“Welcome, princess.” Youngjae said as he opened the doors to the main wing of the castle. 

In there I was greeted by the majestic and respected three queens of Horae. Where Queen Irene (Recalling from the vision cloud, Dahyun showed us earlier) was beaming at me. She had the most friendliest of faces in person. 

Queen Joy was gleaming at her side while Queen Wendy was smiling sweetly as I entered. They each wore simple laurel crowns punctuated with diamonds at each tips. 

“Hello, come in.” Queen Irene spoke loud enough echoing throughout the room. 

I gulped at the sight of the room so huge and grand. The room had the highest of ceilings, all donned in glass windows, perfectly letting the sun shine right in. Horae’s insignia, feathered wings, sit large at the middle atop the Queens’ chairs.

A royal blue carpet flowed through the middle to where I was standing on till the elevated area where the Queens’ chair sat. 

“You two are dismissed..” Queen Irene spoke to my two company behind my back. 

“Thank you, oh noble one. You have done your job for the day.” She then said to Echo who properly bowed down before her. 

I think that’s the first time seeing my wolf bow. I’m not sure if I’ll be used to that. I watched him before he trailed to follow the young Lieutenant out. 

“Wait—“ I found my voice. 

“What is it dear?” Queen Wendy asked my bewildered expression. 

“Where is my wolf going?” I suddenly found myself asking. 

I feel uncomfortable seeing him leave my side. His presence alone helps my anxieties calm and collected. 

“Wolf..” I heard Queen Joy question Queen Irene beside her. 

Queen Irene looked back to Echo with an expression on her face, reading his eyes. As if telepathically communicating with him. She had the same expression as Youngjae had while he saw Echo awhile ago. 

I furrowed my eyebrows turning my gaze at either two of them waiting for someone to answer. I caught Youngjae snicker in his side with Echo snarling back at him. 

“He’s just going to rest in his quarters. Don’t worry, he will be back soon.” Queen Irene assured me. 

I dipped my head in understanding. I figured he needs to rest too, we’ve had a long day. 

Soon after I was left alone with the Queens. The large room around us made silence more eerie and awkward. 

I blinked back up front when Queen Joy startled me when her tall long limbs started squealing and running towards my direction. 

“AAHHHHH!!! I can’t do this anymore. I can’t help it. Welcome home, baby!!” Queen Joy said as soon as she ran to give me a big hug that took me off my feet. The other two chuckled at her. 

I let out a laugh after their shift of attitude. Their majestic presence was lifted and wavered off like they were normal people. 

“Joy, sweetie, please don’t break her. She just came from a long journey.” Queen Wendy said as she stepped down the stairs gathering her light pastel blue robe.

“Joy, come on. Aren’t you a bit excited to see her???” Queen Joy rambled on impatient with her sister. 

“I am. You know how different our approaches are.” Queen Wendy argued as she welcomed me with open arms and hugged me softly. 

“Welcome home, sweetheart.” She greeted with a warm smile as she fixed my hair to the side. 

I was more curious with Queen Irene who also stepped down and slowly walked to me.

“My, you have grown really well all these years.” She commented as she scanned me from head to toe.

“Just give her a hug already!!” Queen Joy said impatient. 

“Patience, Joy.” Queen Wendy said to her as she turned back to sweetly smile at me. 

“Welcome home, my love.” Queen Irene finally said to me as she embraced me in a hug. 

A hug so warm, feels like I’m really home. 

“I’ve missed you. How was your journey?” She said as she rubbed my shoulders. I couldn’t speak more after their warm welcome to me. 

I have loads of questions to ask. 

“It’s still quite a shock to you, isn’t it? And you have a lot of questions.” 

I slowly nodded at her.

“Very well. I promise to bring light and peace to all of your sentiments. But you have to wash up first. We’ll meet you at the garden outside later. Your ladies maids will help and accompany you to your room.” Queen Irene said. 

Two ladies maids appeared before me. 

“Greetings, princess. I’m Polymnia, one of your ladies maids.” One of the girls introduced herself as she curtsy at me. She was undoubtedly beautiful. I think everyone in this Kingdom is, but me.

“And I’m Calliope, your royal highness.” Calliope introduced herself as she too, curtsied.

Queen Joy squealed as she hugged me once more before she left to follow Queen Irene and Queen Wendy out to the patio. 

“I’m so psyched our baby’s home!” I heard Queen Joy’s voice trailed as they left. 

“She’s grown to be a beautiful woman..” I heard Queen Wendy commented. 

I followed the ladies maids as they walked me through the castle and up the stairs. I continued to look around as I take this all in. There were paintings of the three Queens, beautifully done and framed with gold. 

There was also a big painting of them three with a baby girl in hand. I slowly touched it as I realized who it was through its eyes. 

I was given a big room with my own living room in it. It looked like a perfectly sized apartment, if you’d ask me. 

It’s even bigger than our loft back at the mansion. 

“The Queens have prepared this room for so long for you, princess. They’ve been renovating this for years still unsettled with the design and details. Each year you grew up, they get to know a few things about you from your guardian Echo.” Calliope said to me as she opened the curtains of my room. 

There was another painting inside, it was a picture of a baby that looked like me, beside a wolf pup. His white coat and innocent small face made me smile, his honey glazed eyes almost golden didn’t make me think twice that it’s my Echo. 

The view was even more spectacular in my room. It was a big lake overlooking lots of enormous mountains and abundant of trees and nature.

“I have prepared your bath, your highness. I have laid out your clothes as well. Please ring the bell if you are in need of help.” Polymnia said.

“Thank you.” Was the only thing I muttered after being at awe. I went to the luxurious white marbled bathroom with ancient Greek designs. The bubble bath smelled like a mixture of lavender and jasmine. Which I believe (And thank god, I read a biology book) are flowers that is used to calm nerves. 

I badly need a dip and a good old hot bath after a long day. This surely did it’s job for relaxation. 

After a good few minutes, I stepped into a gorgeous pastel blue maxi dress. It had a v-line cut, and a draped cape from behind and a long slit on the side starting from my knees. That was fairly easy but the next thing I saw beside it confused the out of me. Which I feel my choice of words of expression aren’t welcome here.

There were various gold accessories and a sandal that look too complex for me to wear. 

I reached for the bell beside me and shyly greeted the two ladies maids.

“Yes, your highness?” Calliope said as she opened the double doors. 

“Um.. I don’t.. Um. I’m not quite sure how to wear these..” I stammered as I gestured the accessories. Polymnia giggled as she immediately went by my side to help. 

“No worries, your highness. You will learn these soon.” Polymnia said as she got the gold belt and wore it around my waist. She reached for the thick gold cuff and placed it in my right arm. 

“If this is complicated to you, what more if you’d see your armour..” Calliope said as she sat down to help me lace up the gold flat sandals. 

“Armour?” I said surprised. 

“I believe Queen Irene will lighten that for you. You’re finished, princess. The Queens are waiting by the garden.” Calliope said. 

Of course, all will be finally answered. 

Calliope & Polymnia showed me the way to the garden, there were gorgeous fountains on each side of a bridge over a small river beneath. There was a person flowing the waters along with a wave of a hand. I think it’s an ability but I’m not sure yet.  

The garden was gorgeous and grew of jasmines and lavender flowers. There was a small island over the bridge that had a pathway leading up to it. I went to it and saw the Queens having tea together under a glass shade green house.

“Harmonia, sweetie! Come in!” Queen Joy beamed at the sight of me. She stood up from her seat and pulled me to a chair beside her. 

“Slow down, Joy.” Queen Irene chuckled as she watched her sister with glee. 

“I’m sorry, I’m just so happy for her to finally be with us.” Queen Joy said as she snuggled into my arms. I chuckled in response. 

“It’s been 20 years, honey..” She shared. 

“You look lovely by the way. Did the ladies maids took care of you?” Queen Wendy said as she laid a caring hand. 

“Yes, they were very nice, thank you.” I finally spoke. 

“As everyone in this Kingdom, my dear Harmonia.” Queen Irene mentioned. 

“Go ahead get yourself some thing to eat!” Queen Joy said over the round table we were gathering on. 

She poured me a tea that smells like chamomile and added honey for natural sweetener.

It was full with pastries and towers of desserts, perfect for tea tim

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter