Distracted

Solstice
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Distracted

Robin

I felt my body stiff and bruised. 

I don’t feel burnt nor heated anymore. 

I blinked conscious weakly day by day seeing various figures seating on the sofa beside my bed in a blur.  

Sometimes I see the figure of my father in the chair with a worried expression. I felt his heat radiating the room. Warming my restless sleeping body in bed. Sometimes I feel one of my brother’s snuggle up beside me, hearing them plead “wake up already”. 

But most of the times, I see him. 

Sitting in the dark while my lidded eyes struggled to keep open still weak, steal recovering.

I dreamt everything that has been happening was all just a dream. I was back at the Mansion, caring for the kids around, attending classes and doing my regular routine for 20 years. 

But in that dream, I didn’t have Raven with me. In that dream, I didn’t have a family again. 

In that dream, I never met Jackson. 

The light shined inside my room as blink my eyes awake. 

I was alone. 

I stared down my hands with no signs of harm or burn. The crescent shaped scratch on my palms from metallic claws was gone. 

It was like I was never injured. Renewed. Skin was reborn. 

Skonos

I recalled the ability after attending the lectures for the past three months. It was probably the King of Hecate or Lisa herself, who healed me. Only they are powerful enough to stitch my skin back up.

After that night, I have no recollection of the memory after I out. Only glimpses of silhouettes when I wake in bed seeing the various people who visited me. 

Only glimpses of him. Worried. 

I pulled myself up to draw myself a bath. How many days has it been? I looked like a wreck. 

I felt the buzz of electricity around my bathroom, echoing. I can feel it loud under my bare feet. I let the cold shower hit my body as I cleansed myself.  

The night at the lake I learned that I’m a certain type of Electricon. But it’s something I can’t work with being a Magnetron. 

“You’re wearing metal, it’s not a good combination with your electricon abilities..” 

Jackson’s voice filled my thoughts. I shut my eyes tight remembering the feeling of lightning flowing through me. It powered me, but at the same time, burned me under my armor. 

I’m conflicted. 

Has this what my fate got for me? 

I only simply asked for a family. 

Now I got a Kingdom to defend, my wolf turns out to be a handsome man after all these years, strong abilities that could kill me, and my fate attached to a war. 

Fun.

I stepped out of my room, energised hoping to proceed with my trainings. I have no choice. I’m a daughter of an Ares’ blood line. I will still do whatever it takes to keep this family. The hunger and drive within me was evident in my blood. 

I felt like a different person as I strolled out of my room.

“The Princess..” I heard a soldier say once I looked out the balcony. Everyone seems back to training. I suddenly missed being out in the field shooting my bow and arrow to a target board. 

I felt him gaze from afar, his face sullen but washed away with relief seeing me back on foot. It was a face of pitiful longing, something I can’t bare to look at right now. 

I tried to ignore his attention when a large hand grip my arm halting me in my steps. 

The smell of smoke and heavily men scent was already a dead giveaway. His presence was loud and intimidating but I grew comfort seeing of everyday. I turned my body around fainting a small smile as I craned my neck towards my father’s bearded face. 

He dipped down and embraced me tight. He was warm as a Burner, but I didn’t feel pain nor close to being burnt or melted. His heat was comforting. I felt safe and protected even.  

“I was so worried about you Robin.” He says. 

I smiled hearing him say my mortal name. It weirdly soothed me. 

“I promise you I am finding a solution for your abilities to work together. For now, I hope you work things out with him.” He requested.

My brows connected. 

“You know?” 

“I knew.” He corrected. 

I waited until a strike of lightning bringing a pang of pain hit me hard so I could be unconscious again. But I felt nothing. I felt numb. 

I think I’m getting used to be lied to already. 

“Jackson has been a loyal guardian..” My father started to explain as we sat by the chairs in the balcony. “Without you three knowing, he and the others report back to a portal by Hecate’s Crystal Witches every time they can, to us.  And every year as I trained him and he reports back to me, I saw how he grew affections for you.” 

“Jackson has always been a son for me.” He said as he turned his gaze on to Jackson who was training arnis with a large soldier. 

“And I gave him his freedom as a gift having been born alongside you as his fate.” He continued on turning his gaze back to me. 

“When he arrived back, bringing you here safely in my arms, he confirmed his feelings. I asked him to tell you about himself at once to avoid you both getting more hurt.” 

“But it did. Badly.” I stated deadpan in expression. 

My father’s face soften, not really a sight I’m quite used to. 

“But you see, Hemera, you are born alongside your guardian. And his fate connects with you. You can’t avoid him forever.” He reminded me. 

I was in deep thought as I continued to listen. How cruel can this world be to bring two people in this century only to have their fates connected and lives complicated? 

“He did what he had to do.” My father continued explaining in behalf of Jackson. “He hid it to protect you and he hid it because he was afraid you will see him differently. That you will not like for who he really was.” 

I felt his fatherly appeal on him. I knew he also cared for Jackson as a son, which complicate things more after I’ve grown feelings for him too. I just don’t want to admit it out loud. 

“I apologise if I also hurt you, my love.” His large warm hands caressed my cheek, I bury my face in it. “You know that’s never going to be my intention. I just didn’t want to interfere. I don’t want to be controlling. I want you both to solve it on your own. Either if you accept him or not. You still need to work with him.” 

I hate him. He’s a really great ruler, well-spoken, and most of all, fair. 

I scoffed in my thoughts. 

All’s fair in love and war. 

Of course. 

I proceeded my day with my training. Or at least, try to. 

“Robin..” His voice spoke behind me as I made my way out to the field halting me in my steps. 

I turned my head over my shoulders trying to avoid his gaze. He was nearer this time due to his swift abilities. 

“Tell father, I will be at Hephaestus’ Workshop.” I announced. 

“Robin please..” He pleaded. 

“I can’t train with you right now.” I uttered before I proceed my steps. 

I avoid all possible instances I get to train with Jackson. I can’t bare it yet. And he knew. I always ask for another soldier. Usually, Hanbin who I’ve grown close to being a magnetron himself. 

I often hid in Hephaestus’ workshop trying to find a solution for myself. 

“Gah!” I yelped after moulding an iron bow and trying to conjure a light electricity in my palms when it still pained me. 

“W-we should probably rest for awhile..” Hanbin said with a face of pity. 

I dropped the bow in the table groaning in annoyance. 

“How am I suppose to fight the sons’ of Dias with abilities I can’t use together??” I mumbled at the cold steel table. 

“It’s not your fault, princess..” Hanbin said sitting beside me as he work on designing a sword out of steel. 

“The Gods just has a sick way of complicating lives..” He added before I chuckled lightly. 

“That’s for sure..” I uttered in reply. 

We heard a group of men enter the workshop, I didn’t bother to look while I sulk in the steel table. 

“Yo, Hanbin. I need new swords.” A guy said leaning by the steel divider above us while he rudely dumped some old rusty steel over to Hanbin. 

“Oh? Who’s this? A new recruit?” I can hear him sneer. 

“Didn’t you know you can’t sleep on a job, boy?” Another voice overhead jeered. 

I then felt a hand flick my head. I snarled. I hate getting flicked in the head like a child. 

Hanbin’s expression was alarmed and in warning over the men over us. 

“What? You’re afraid of this punk? Huh?” The guy taunted flicking Hanbin’s head with a finger. 

“Didn’t I ought to tell you pup that only we son’s of the handsome dieties are the only one you should be afraid of?” His deep voice echoed around the steel table. 

A younger voice cackled at the side. 

I am in no mood for this spoiled bulltry. 

Hanbin eyed them in warning often fainting a smile over me in apology. 

I felt a hand leaning over to flick me again but I grabbed on to his wrists even without lifting my head.

“Wha—“ I heard the guy say. 

I sat up straight to see the menaces in front of us. I cocked a brow at them. 

They were tall, all had broad shoulders and similar features. They had monolids but it grew an inch upon seeing my presence. They were handsome no doubt but attitude was rotten and cocky as most high diety offsprings are (as what I’ve been told).

The wrists I was holding looked younger than the other two. I assumed this was the one who laughed earlier. I sparked a small amount of electricity beneath my hold to zap him. 

“Ack!!” He exclaimed pulling his hand away. 

Hanbin, to his amusement, was snickering to my side. 

“Um, these are the brothers Shownu, Daniel & Kino, 3rd generation son’s of Apollo, your highness.” Hanbin introduced to my side pointing to each brother and their names. 

“Your highness, my apologies for my brothers.” The eldest one who was the tallest bowed behind the divider. I recognised his deep voice from earlier. I eyed the Crimson Guard insignia in his shoulders too. 

Pft. I need to have a word on the attitude of some of these guards.

I remained silent folding my arms in front of them maintaining contact. The middle one flashed a grin. He looked charming and friendly but I figured he was putting on a mask after recognising me. 

“We didn’t know you were here, princess.” The grinning figure beamed innocently. 

“Did I hear you threatened my friend, Hanbin here?” I snarled. 

“It was him, your highness!!” Kino, instantly pointed to their eldest with the middle one following suit. 

Shownu was alarmed. “What?” 

“I-I was just kidding! Hanbin is a loyal friend of ours!” The eldest made his way over to Hanbin in a instant locking him in his neck with his arms. 

Swift. I noted his ability. 

“Y-yeah! He makes all our weapons!!” Daniel beamed with his toothy smile. 

I momentarily got a flash of what Enyo might look like when he grows up. I hope he grows up with a better attitude than these asshats. 

“If he does make your weapon then why can’t that earn his respect?” I spat leaving them speechless. 

I leaned my palm over the cold steel table in front of me. 

“Did you know he has the ability to reform any metal you’re wearing to pierce it through your skin killing you right now?” I taunted. “But he just chose not to, because he’s also a part of the elite Crimson Guard of my Kingdom.” 

I smirked at the brothers. Daniel’s smile faded as he gulped in fear while I eyed Shownu’s rank on his sleeves. 

“Am I right, Lieutenant?” I sneered at the eldest. 

“Yes, you’re highness.” He properly stood on his side before instantly returning beside his brothers. 

“He’s also a son of a high diety like you obnoxious spoiled.. kids.” I spat. “You may have looks of Apollo but your characters are despicable.”

“You’ve disrespected the name of your father.” I concluded. 

Their heads bowed in shame while their hands folded behind them. 

I’ve seen kids get bullied a lot back at the Mansion and I never tolerate it. Especially to these grown men. 

The boys’ sight instantly shifted as they squared their shoulders with Hanbin following suit. I didn’t have to guess who arrived. He might've sensed my annoyance from where he was.

“General..” Hanbin and Shown saluted. 

“What’s going on here?” His voice stern, fitting his rank.

I turned my gaze back to him. “You’ve trained soldiers to enhance their skills and agility. But you lack to train the most important subject of all.” I sneered back at him. 

“Manners, respect and integrity.” I spat, directing the last characteristic for him especially. 

He flinched before turning his gaze over to the young men in front of us.

“Let’s go, Hanbin. I still need to train.” I said grabbing hold of Hanbin’s wrists beside me pulling him away from the scene. 

I noted Jackson’s eyes following my hand on Hanbin’s wrists while his jaw clenched. If he feels jealous then so be it. 

I promise if I’m officially coronated, this Kingdom will learn manners and simple courtesy. I recalled Pallas and Horion surprised at my manners the first time I’ve arrived here. It’s a shame this Kingdom has the best warriors but not the best hearts. 

 

***

 

After hearing the news that Robin was back on her feet and stubbornly back to training, the rest of the girls felt a wash of relief as they proceeded on their own trainings. 

Books were levitating around Lisa and it follows her while she moves around the spell room. Bambam was nearby following her focus as she flicks her finger mid-air while a book turn a page. 

She steadied her stance, waving the levitating books in front of her to the sides while she gazed faraway. Bambam sat curiously. 

Lisa snapped her fingers when a spark of icy frost started to emerge from her hands. She gestured both of her hands to form the power into a ball. Bambam widened his eyes at the sight of the cold orb slowly form.

It looked like a safe snow ball ready to be thrown at to play with, but Lisa knew well this wasn’t anything but safe. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter