The Mansion

Solstice
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
The Mansion

The afternoon sun basked golden through the glass greenhouse tower of the orphanage. Tall trees & beautiful plants donned the tower with various types of floras being taken care of by the kids on duty. Most especially Lisa, who spends most of her time feeding and watering each of the greeneries of the tower on her own. 

She arrived the same time with two of her other friends. Their story was led to believe that they were brought in as toddlers by wolves in wooden baskets themselves, who now still resides with them in the orphanage and refuses to leave their side. 

They each had a blanket with the wolves names embedded with an insignia that they still can’t figure out. 

Only the three girls were known to live in the orphanage with guardian wolves by their sides. No one question their threat because they never showed any sign of danger. They were kind loyal beasts, almost acted like pet dogs. 

The Orphanage, the mansion is what they call it, is tucked in a small town far from the city with a large forest surrounding its perimeters. It was the largest orphanage in town that housed 6 floors of abandoned children. 

Every floor was shared by various kids in bunk beds or shared bedrooms depending on their age. Other floors had rooms for classes and free education for the children while they await for a family. The Mansion was definitely grand, built in dark grey bricks, stone structures surrounded by gargoyle statues. The children almost called it, a castle. 

The girls lived at the mansion all their lives, waiting to be adopted one by one in hopes of having a family of their own. Frustration grew day by day when no parent or guardian would want to adopt them into their home. 

The wolves with them were one of the obstacles. No one would adopt a child who owns a wolf by their side even if they never pose a threat.

They were getting older which makes it even harder to get adopted. The girls promised each other that if they don’t get adopted after they turn 18, they will leave the place and start a life on their own. 

Once they each did turn 18, nothing made them leave the place. They wouldn’t know where to start. They never step foot anywhere but in the mansion and just their nearby town. The city was a train ride away and fear was always a fracture of the problem. Ending up staying at the mansion for 2 more years to care for the new kids brought in and hope they’re lucky enough to be adopted. 

Lisa looked down the tower after a kid she once took care of get adopted by two loving parents. He looked back at her by the tower flashing a grin, so wide it assured her that he’s genuinely happy waving before he stepped inside the back of his new parents’ car. 

A small smile formed on her lips feeling bittersweet emotions while her hand forced a wave. She looked back to her wolf, Nyx, with luscious black fur that gleamed almost dark purple under the sunlight with a few distinct white stripes. He was eyeing her tilting his head before she bent down and caressed him with her palm and thumb rubbing the bridge of his nose. 

He caught a whiff of her vanilla scent from her soft hands, her usual fragrance. 

“It’s okay, Nyx. I’m happy for the other kids here being adopted. I have you and the other girls with me enough as my family..” 

Her lips curled slightly into a smile, in hopes her wolf could understand. 

But he did understand..

Fluently.

Every. Word. 

The guardian wolves were not just any forest wolves. 

They were were-creatures hiding their identities to the girls. Tasked with a mission. Shifting to their human forms whenever they were not around. 

“Oh, it’s dying..” 

Lisa uttered as she strolled around the greenhouse watering some plants when she spotted a dried up wilted rose by the corner. 

She hovered into it, her fringe shuffled on her forehead. She brushed her long blonde locks behind her ear, assessing it’s petals gently with her fingers before she smiled and carefully watered it’s roots. 

“You’re probably a little more th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter