CHAPTER 24

Race Car

 

In Eun Mi's room she stared at her reflection in the mirror. She had her hair up in a bun and had contacts on.

*Why do I feel nervous?* Eun Mi thought as she imagined Woo Hyun's face when he sees her tonight.

 

Gi Kwang was downstairs putting on his shoes when he heard the door open and close. He arched a brow, *Isang, appa shouldn’t be home yet.*

He looked up and his jaw dropped, “Andwae.”

“Ya is that what you say to your uncle after five years of not seeing him?” There stood Jun Ki’s younger brother, Lee Min Ki.

Gi Kwang guffawed before getting on his feet to greet him, “Ya samchon, what the hell is up with the eyeliner?”

“I like it,” Min Ki nonchalantly answers, his lips twisting, “it makes me feel free.”

“Aish you and your sick explanations.” Gi Kwang whacked the back of his uncle’s head.

“YA how dare you slap your uncle’s head?!?” Min Ki arched a brow, his eyeliner making his eyes pop out more.

Gi Kwang laughed, “Samchon I really can’t take you seriously with the eyeliner.”

Min Ki grinned, “I’m ier now, that’s why.”

Gi Kwang doubled over, laughing.

 

“Hey hyung we should be going.” Myung Soo came into the living room.

“Ya who the hell are you?” Min Ki asked, all confident and charismatic.

“I’m oh ,” Myung Soo stumbled into a stop at Min Ki’s presence, “I’m s-sorry. I’m Kim Myung Soo.” He bowed.

“Who the hell is that??” Min Ki spat.

“Samchon that’s Eun Mi’s childhood friend,” Gi Kwang cheekily grinned, “you know the one I told you who likes her.”

Min Ki’s eyes bugged out, “YOU’RE THE KID WHO LIKES MY NIECE?!?”

“HYUNG~” Myung Soo stomped his feet, embarrassed.

Gi Kwang snickered, “Mian, this is appa’s younger bro, Min Ki samchon.”

“Waddup?” Min Ki gave him a sloppy salute.

 

“What’s with all the raised voices?!?” Eun Mi came down the stairs. She saw a tall figure beside her brother and instantly knew who it was.

“MIN KI SAMCHON~!!!” Eun Mi jumped on his back and wrapped hr arms around his neck.

“Ack-Nice to see you too-ack-girl you trying to kill me?” Min Ki choked as he struggled to get her off his neck.

Eun Mi laughed and got off him, “Ya what hell are you doing here?”

“I heard someone’s going to the underground Gwangju Shicheong race.” Min Ki smirked as he eyed Gi Kwang.

“How’d you know about that?” Myung Soo asked.

“Cause my best friend is the organizer,” Min Ki gave him the are-you-stupid-look, “Kwon Ji Hyuk.”

Myung Soo face palmed.

“And I dropped by out of curiosity since,” Min Ki looked at you, “Nam Woo Hyun’s going to be in that race too.”

Eun Mi scoffed, “Don’t ask me ask the cousin,” she nodded over to Myung Soo’s direction, “I never wanted to go anyway.” Eun Mi dragged the last word, emphasizing her statement.

“Cousin?” Min Ki arched a brow at Myung Soo.

“YA YA YA WHATEVER HAPPENED TO THE I miss us three oppa STUFF EARLIER?!?!” Myung Soo mocked her.

Her eyes bugged out, “YA DON’T USE THAT AGAINST ME NOW. YOU KNEW I NEVER WANTED TO GO~”

You two started bickering, with constant interruptions by her uncle.

Gi Kwang looked at his watch and panicked, “WE GOTTA GO OR ELSE I’M GONNA BE LATE~!!!”

 

Min Ki was in Eun Mi's car since Myung Soo and Gi Kwang didn’t want him in theirs.
“Aish that brother of yours never grows up.” Min Ki complained as he fastened his seatbelt.

“Speak for yourself, samchon.” Eun Mi snickered as she backed out of the garage and shifted gears.

So the ride to Gwangju wasn’t a peaceful one, with all the interrogations from her uncle. Seriously, he was like a five year old with all the questions coming out of his mouth.

“Samchon, don’t you ever run out of questions?” Eun Mi asked after sh answered his question of what’s happening in her school now.

“Ani,” Min Ki smirked, “it pays to be a man who wants to know stuff.”

“Or maybe you’re just an old woman who wants to know stuff for gossip with your friends.” Eun Mi mocked.

“YA AISH you and your brother are exactly alike, disrespectful beings.” Min Ki shook his head.

“Speaks the one with thick eyeliner on.” Eun Mi muttered under her breath.

“I HEARD THAT~!”

 

After what seemed like forever they finally got to Gwangju. As expected there were a lot of people, sports cars here, luxury cars there, women and beer. Typical underground race event. But it wasn’t just some cheap underground event, it was sponsored by Mitsubishi.

The minute her car and Gi Kwang’s came into the scene people started talking.

“Omo, the Lees are here too?”

“Wonder if Lee Gi Kwang will participate in the race?”

“Omo, maybe we’ll see Lee Eun Mi go up against Nam Woo Hyun.”

“Ey isn’t Nam Woo Hyun the one who stole Eun Mi’s throne?”

 

Min Ki smirked at the sudden attention his niece was getting, “Aigoo, don’t you just love it when people talk about you?”

“I don’t give a .” Eun Mi sternly said.

“I don’t think your bro is racing.” Min Ki said as he tapped around on his phone.

“Yeah me too,” Eun Mi agreed, looking around, “I don’t see the crew and he didn’t bring his typical Audi R8.”

Eun Mi parked right next to Gi Kwang’s car and got out. There was already a crowd circling her car as she talked to her brother.

“Ya, tell me exactly what are we going to do here.” You crossed your arms.

“We’re watching the race.” Gi Kwang winked as he wrapped an arm around, “Ka, it’s about to start. I got us the best seat.”

Eun Mi looked back to see a flustered Myung Soo. He was being circled by five spazzing girls.

“Yeah, L!” Eun Mi hollered.

Myung Soo looked at her before pushing the girls aside, “Gotta go.”

The girls pouted and eyed his retreating figure.

“He’s friends with the Lees?”

“Hey doesn’t he look familiar?”

“Ani, I’ve never seen him before.”

“But he looks like the cousin of someone…”

 

Myung Soo caught up with the two and smirked, “Sorry.”

“You why didn’t you tell me we were just watching?!?” Eun Mi slapped the back of his head.

“Ow!”

Gi Kwang snickered, “Easy there, little girl.”

 

The whole ShiCheon Street circle was lit and boarders with Mitsubishi’s logo outlined the street. The racer’s crew and cars were sprawled in the center of the circle, there were around fifteen racers.

Tablo snickered as he talked to a client over the phone, while Woo Hyun was on the seat of his car, playing with his necklace.

It was his lucky charm necklace, there was not a race where in he wasn’t wearing. Since it was given to him by his mom, he cherished. It was the only thing he had from his mother.

*Where are you, umma?* Woo Hyun sighed as he closed his eyes and reclined on his seat.

Tablo got off his phone and looked at Woo Hyun, *What’s wrong kid?* he could tell that something was up.

“Ya, Nam Woo Hyun.” Tablo walked over to him.

“Ye, hyung?” Woo Hyun asked, his eyes still closed.

“Are you and Eun Mi fighting or something?”

Woo Hyun’s eyes bugged out in shock at the sudden accusation, “W-What made you think that?”

“Bingo we have a winner~” Tablo cheekily grinned, “I’ve never seen you down before, I thought you guys were buddies now or something?”

Woo Hyun sighed, “Something bad happened in school. Some fan girl went crazy and beat her up, her best friend went against her too and Jun Ki sunbae found out.”

 Tablo’s jaw dropped, “Damn, all that in one day?”

Woo Hyun’s shoulders dropped as he rested his head on the steering wheel, “Sunbae talked to all of us, except Eun Mi and Myung Soo. He asked us to…” he trailed off.

“To?”

“Well, the best friend was to never be seen around her, the fan girls were threatened to not expose Eun Mi’s identity and I’m…” Woo Hyun’s eyes fluttered open, his eyes staring at nothing, “not allowed to be around her anymore. Since everything was my fault.”

Tablo softened and placed a hand on Woo Hyun’s shoulder, “Aigoo, Jun Ki sunbae has gone too far. It’s only normal… but you know what’s not normal?”

“What, hyung?”

“You acting this way.”

Woo Hyun looked at him, “What are you talking about, hyung?”

Tablo smiled, “Aigoo, someone’s too blind to see that he’s been having a little crush over someone~” he sang the two words.

Woo Hyun’s eyes widened as his cheeks heated up, “Andwae, HYUNG YOU’RE SO IMAGINATIVE~!!!”

Tablo doubled over laughing, “Oh look at you, denying it already. How cute, your red cheeks are so ruining you.”

Woo Hyun covered his face, embarrassed, “HYUNG SHUT UP AAAAH~~”

 

 

All the racers were called to get ready as the race was about to start. Eun Mi, Gi Kwang and Myung Soo had a special booth in the middle of the crowd.

“And look at our special guests this evening,” The commentator looked over to the booth, along with the cameras, “it’s The Lees along with a friend.”

Woo Hyun’s eyes widened at the commentator’s statement and immediately he was eyeing the screen. His heart fluttered as the camera zoomed in and focused on Eun Mi.

*She came to watch.* Woo Hyun softened as he started to feel his old confident self coming back. He shook his head as he bit his lip, keeping himself from smiling. That familiar spark ran down his spine as Eun Mi looked straight at the camera, it was as if she was looking right at Woo Hyun.

Tablo snickered, he was watching Woo Hyun’s reactions from the back of the car, *Aigoo, typical young puppy love.*

 

Eun Mi eyed the camera for a while, *Woo I hope you see me.* she smirked a bit before looking away.

Woo Hyun chuckled at her expression before running a hand through his hair, *Let’s get this race over with.*

 

 

As the commentator introduced the racers one by one, the cars were already at the starting line. Each racer stepping on the gas pedal, sounding off their engines, anticipating the start of the race.

“How you feeling tonight, Woo?” Tablo asked through the earpiece.

“Shut up hyung,” Woo Hyun replied through the helmet’s mic, “You know that I know that I know you saw who’s watching.” He smiled as he took glances at the booth in the crowd where you were sitting.

“You love struck bastard,” Tablo snickered, “I’m just glad you got your focus back.”

“Yeah, yeah.” Woo Hyun faked a mocking tone, “How long till we start?”

“A minute.” Tablo eyed the flags that were being waved, “Focus, Woo.”

 

The three of eyed the cars lined up at the starting line.

“I heard L.Joe’s in the race too.” Gi Kwang said, his eyes never leaving the starting line.

“Yeah, he’s got some moves,” Myung Soo shrugged it off, “but he’s going up against my cousin.”

Eun Mi guffawed at his reply, “Someone’s a bit too confident.”

*You wait, Eun Mi,* Myung Soo slowly looked at Eun Mi, *he’d win this competition just because of you. Even I’d do something like that.*

Eun Mi felt someone looking at her so she raised her hand and palmed Myung Soo’s face, “Look away, oppa you’re being a creep.”

Myung Soo smiled as he pealed her hand off his face and looked back at the starting line.

 

“Ready, get set,” The racers stepped on the gas, their engines roaring with anticipation, “GO~!!!”

The buzzer went off along with the lights and a fog was created by the starting smoke from the cars. Since it was only a two lapped race there was not a single person in the crowd that was relaxed.

Her eyes were locked on Woo Hyun’s Lambo Gallardo. Eun Mi would secretly smirk for every car he’d overtake and she’d curse under her breath for every car that over takes him.

For the first three laps Woo Hyun was in second, first was L.Joe. Cars were getting tire changes and gas refills at their respective bays.

 

“Woo come in for your tire change.” Tablo instructed as he nodded at the staff to get ready with the equipment.

He was head to head with L.Joe as they got closer to the finishing line. Woo Hyun took in a deep breath before stepping on the brakes, shifting gears, then stepping on the gas. Confusing L.Joe, Woo Hyun overtook him and took the first place for the fourth round.

 

Eun Mi secretly smiled as the commentator announced the change in position. The crowd cheered.

“Told you he’ll pull it off.” Myung Soo shoved Gi Kwang to the side.

“Ya aish, I never doubted him anyway,” Gi Kwang struggled to regain his balance, “I was just acting.”

 

“Tire change Woo.” Tablo instructed.

Woo Hyun nodded and shifted gears as he entered the bay. The moment his car reached his stop the staff got busy.


“Looks like L.Joe is all gas and no tires.” The commentator said.

Woo Hyun’s eyes widened in time to see L.Joe’s car run past his.
“No tires?” Woo Hyun looked at Tablo.

“Keep your distance,” Tablo instructed as the staff backed away, “now go.”

Woo Hyun stepped on the gas before smoothly shifting from gear to gear. He got back on the track.


“That’s a ty move.” Eun Mi looked at her brother.

“His tires don’t look too good.” Gi Kwang grimaced.

“Woo better keep his distance.” Myung Soo watched his cousin.

 

Again, Woo Hyun and L.Joe were head to head as the finishing line got closer. L.Joe gritted his teeth as he shifted gears and stepped on the gas, over driving his engine.

“LEE BYUNG HUN YOU’RE GOING TO DESTROY YOUR TIRES!!!” His coach yelled.

“I DON’T CARE I WANT TO WIN!” L.Joe yelled as he glared at the finish line.


Woo Hyun easily shifted gears and was already ahead of L.Joe. He was about to cross the finish line when-

BOOM

Woo Hyun’s car was thrown forward from the strong gravity push coming from L.Joe’s car. L.Joe’s tires exploded and sent his car flying, crashing into Woo Hyun’s car.

The crowd gasped as everyone got on their feet.

“.” The three were on their feet, eyeing the spinning cars.

“WOO HYUN STAY WITH ME~!” Tablo yelled before ripping the headphones off him and running out into the track with the staff.

Eun Mi didn’t know why but she ran out of the booth and looked for the stairs that lead to the track.

“EUN MI-YAH!” The two boys ran after her.

*Please be okay.* Eun Mi thought as she ran. Eun Mi gulped, fighting down the doubt that was growing

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AND I'M BACK WITH AN UPDATE WOOOH 

hope you guys liked this update :"> I was having fun writing... though it took me forever @_@

comments and subbies are truly appreciated :)