CHAPTER 22

Race Car

 


It was already the week of the Literature long test about the Greek gods and goddesses. Eun Mi was deeply bothered for she hasn't tutored Woo Hyun yet and she has no idea how to do it, since she's “forbidden” to see him.

 

 

Eun Mi grabbed her stuff and wore her shoes. Grabbing her hoodie, she headed out of her room and down the stairs.

 

 

“Oppa kaja~!!” Eun Mi hollered.

 

 

“Araseo~~” Gi Kwang sang from the second floor.

 

 

Eun Mi sighed and stared at her feet as she waited by the door.

 

 

Jun Ki came out from the kitchen when he saw her troubled face. He sighed, “Don’t tell me you actually want to be around that kid.”

 

 

Her eyes widened, something about the way he said it sounded… offensive.

 

 

“Bwo?” Eun Mi scoffed.

 

 

Jun Ki arched a brow, “Don’t come near him, araseo? One rule broken and-“

 

 

“And what dad, you’ll take me away?!?” Eun Mi cut him off, pissed, “You just said last night I couldn’t get out from the school since it’s my senior year.”

 

 

“Don’t start with me Lee Eun Mi.” Jun Ki snapped.

 

 

“I’m tired of you always making decision to protect me!!! I can protect myself!” Eun Mi looked straight into Jun Ki’s eyes, “WHY CAN’T YOU SEE THAT?!?”

 

 

“How dare you SPEAK THAT WAY TO YOUR FATHER!!” His voice raised too.

 

 

You smirked, “Forget it, conversations like these are useless if you never listen.” Eun Mi spun around on her heel, opened the door, and walked out. She made sure the door was slammed shut, hard. 

 

 

 

Gi Kwang was coming down when he saw Eun Mi walk out of the house, of course he heard the yelling.

 

 

“Aish!” Jun Ki huffed and stormed back into the kitchen.

 

 

Gi Kwang ran out the door, “Eun Mi-yah!” his eyes widened, seeing her walking already.

 

 

He got in the car and moved as fast as he could to catch up with her.

 

 

Eun Mi bit her lip glaring at the scenery ahead of her. She really hated her world right now. Everything she wanted were kept out of reach for her safety.

 

 

*Pathetic.* Eun Mi smirked and stopped in her tracks when she heard the familiar engine of the car.

 

 

Gi Kwang sighed, glad she felt the car’s presence, “Get in, Eun Mi.”

 

 

Eun Mi sighed and dragged her feet to the car. When she got in Gi Kwang drove off. The travel was fast and silent. He knew she was angry and that talking about it would only make it worst.

 

 

“Bye oppa.” Eun Mi kissed his cheek and got out of the car.

 

 

 

 

 

As Eun Mi made her way up the stairs, she was already expecting a noisy greeting from a certain person. She stopped in her tracks when she realized, they couldn’t see each other.

 

Eun Mi looked back, feeling a presence. She stared at the locker to her left, scrutinizing it. As if she saw a person there, before shaking her head and walking away.

 

 

Woo Hyun sighed and stepped out from his hiding place, the locker Eun Mi stared at, *I don’t know if I can continue not being around her.* he stared at her retreating figure with her father’s words repeating in his head:

 

 

I know that there is another motive for befriending my daughter…

 

 

He clenched his fist and looked down, *How did Eun Mi’s dad know that I had feelings for her…*

 

 

 

 

Eun Mi shut her locker and looked to her side, she saw a person’s face up close to hers “AISH JINJA!” Eun Mi jumped and slapped Myung Soo’s shoulder. He snickered.

 

 

“Don’t do that!” Eun Mi whined and took in deep breaths, “Aigoo, my heart.”

 

 

Myung Soo chuckled, “Still the weakling aren’t you?”

 

 

Eun Mi rolled her eyes at him as she started walking, “Whatever, say what you like.”

 

 

Myung Soo arched a brow, *Something’s wrong. She’d normally argue with me when I start a sentence with that phrase.*

 

 

*I thought it was…* Eun Mi silently thought as she dragged her feet to class.

 

 

“Ya,” Myung Soo placed a hand on her shoulder and spun her around to face him, “what’s wrong now?”

 

 

She sighed, “You’ll always know when something’s up, huh?”

 

 

Myung Soo softened, “You haven’t changed much, Eun Mi. All your expressions as a child are the very same expressions you show now.”

 

 

Eun Mi smirked, “Appa and I got into a fight again.”

 

 

“He did?!?” Myung Soo gasped, then slowly smiled, “Hey, fight, again.” He said the words as if he was pointing something out.

 

 

Eun Mi's eyes widened, realizing what he meant, “Andwae, you can’t take me away!”

 

 

Myung Soo laughed, “Why not?!?”

 

 

“Eyy appa will hunt you down and next thing I know he’ll ban me from seeing you too.” Eun Mi's heart dropped at the thought of what she said.

 

 

Her dad banned her from racing, kept her from the real world, took away her best friend, and forbid her from seeing a new friend. Him taking away her one and only childhood friend was too much and she couldn’t live another day if it were to happen.

 

 

Myung Soo’s smiled dropped at her words, there was a big possibility that Jun Ki could do that, “You’re right.”

 

 

“Don’t do it appa.” Eun Mi hung her head low, “Min and Namu are already gone,” tears were blurring her vision, “I don’t want you gone too.”

 

 

Myung Soo softened at her words and he pulled her into a hug, his chin resting on her head, as her head was on his chest.

 

 

“I won’t do it, sorry for saying such stupid ideas without thinking about the consequences.” Myung Soo smoothed her hair.

 

 

Eun Mi wrapped her arms around him as tears trailed down her cheeks. She hid her face on his shoulder, staining his uniform, “Komawo.”

 

 

Myung Soo smiled and rested his head on hers, *Anything for you, Eun Mi.*

 

 

 

 

From afar, Woo Hyun saw and heard everything. His heart fluttered when she mentioned her nickname for him earlier, but now his heart is aching with jealousy and longing as he watched his cousin hold her in his arms.

 

 

*This seperation is only making me feel stuff I shouldn’t be feeling.* Woo Hyun roughly exhaled and walked to his next class.

 

 

 

 

Woo Hyun sat on his seat and looked at her empty seat. Unconsciously, he smiled. He looked up from the seat only to see Min's side profile, she was staring at her hands. His smile disappeared and hatred filled his expression.      

 

 

Min felt his piercing stare at her and hung her head low. *I’m sorry Eun Mi…*

 

 

Eun Mi and Myung Soo walked in the classroom. Eun Mi felt everybody’s eyes on her, she tried to ignore them. But some how this time, they were making her self concious. She stopped before sitting on her seat. Her heart raced when she met eyes with Woo Hyun.

 

 

*Her face has all those marks because of me… *

 

 

*Why is my heart racing when I look at you?*

 

 

Myung Soo stopped behind her, he could feel all the emotions from the two.

 

 

Myung Soo cleared his throat and the two looked away. Eun Mi consciously sat on her seat, ignoring Min’s presence. Myung Soo on the other hand called his cousin’s attention when he sat down.

 

 

“Are you okay?” Myung Soo asked.

 

 

Woo Hyun forced a smile, “I’ll get through, you know me.”

 

 

Myung Soo simply smiled, but the smile didn’t reach his eyes, “Yeah, I do.” *I know you won’t get over with this one.*

 

 

 

 

While everyone was doing Mrs. Jang’s seatwork for Lit, she approached Eun Mi's seat at the back.

 

 

“Ye, seonsaengnim?” Eun Mi asked.

 

 

She smiled and gave Eun Mi a small bow, “I’m sorry if I’ve ever mistreated you before.”

 

 

Min, Woo Hyun and Myung Soo were watching Mrs. Jang. The four had one idea, she knows.

 

 

Eun Mi sighed and went back to writing, “Just because you know who I am, that doesn’t mean you should treat me differently from before.”

 

 

“I know but-“

 

 

“Please, I’ll feel uncomfortable.” Eun Mi looked up at her, straight into her eyes.

 

 

She felt Eun Mi's uneasiness and nodded, “Oh and I’d like to change your sitting arrangement.”

 

 

Eun Mi's and Woo Hyun’s eyes widened.

 

 

“Y-ye?” Eun Mi and Woo Hyun said at the same time.

 

 

Even Min was shocked.

 

 

“Choi Min I want you all the way up in front,” Mrs. Jang informed, “Nam Woo Hyun I want you on Lee Eun Mi’s seat.” She looked at him, “Lee Eun Mi on Kim Myung Soo’s, and Kim Myung Soo on your cousin’s.”

 

 

There was a silent pause before the four got up and started packing their stuff. Some of the students looked back, curious of what was happening. They all silently gasped and started whispering amongst themselves when the four sat at the new sitting arrangement.

 

 

The three looked at each other, unsure of what to feel right now. Eun Mi wanted Woo Hyun to be beside her, though she liked that Myung Soo was closer now, but still. Woo Hyun was bummed that it was going to be harder to look at her now. Myung Soo felt awkward, he felt like he was the wall. He knew he and his cousin liked Eun Mi, but he never knew or had the slightest idea of who she liked or if she even liked anyone.

 

 

“Ah yes, the tutoring is with me now, Nam Woo Hyun. Not anymore with Lee Eun Mi-ssi.” Mrs. Jang said before walking away.

 

 

 

 

A couple of days have passed and it was the saddest for the three. Every time Woo Hyun was with Myung Soo, Eun Mi couldn’t approach them, but whenever Myung Soo was with here Woo Hyun couldn’t go near either. Myung Soo was not liking this one bit. He was getting pissed. What annoyed him even more now, was that teachers were giving more attention to the three compared to before.

 

 

Eun Mi would always go to school and come home with a poker face. This affected her badly too and everyone around her could sense it. Min’s heart ached every time she'd pass her without acknowledging her presence. She was even more hurt whenever Eun Mi would be alone.

 

 

*I’m sorry for doing this to you, Eun Mi.*

 

 

Even at home they noticed Eun Mi's sudden change in attitude. Especially Gi Kwang. He’s not liking this one bit. Eun Mi would wake up, bathe, eat, go to school without talking to anyone. She'd do the same when she'd come home too. When Gi Kwang or Jun Ki would talk to her, she’d look at them to listen but she wouldn’t answer. She'd just walk away.

 

 

“Do you like what you’re seeing dad?” Gi Kwang glared at Jun Ki from the other end of the table. It was dinner time, but since Eun Mi's been refusing to eat with them, it’s always the two who ended up on the table.

 

 

“It’s for her safety.” Jun Ki firmly said as he struggled to keep composed.

 

 

“That doesn’t answer my question.” Gi Kwang placed his chopsticks down and crossed his arms.

 

 

Jun Ki looked at him, “Any better ideas, son?”

 

 

“Let them talk to each other again, let her be, STOP DECIDING FOR HER!” Gi Kwang’s ears were red due to all the anger.

 

 

“ANDWAE!”

 

 

“SHE’S IGNORING ALL OF US NOW, is that what you like?!?” Gi Kwang’s last few words were filled with pure sarcasm.

 

 

“OF COURSE NOT!” Jun Ki roared with anger.

 

 

“STOP PUTTING UP WALLS AROUND HER THAT AREN’T NEEDED!” Gi Kwang got on his feet.

 

 

“Lee Gi Kwang, stop this now.” Jun Ki got on his feet too as he held his son’s piercing stare.

 

 

“You keep doing this then you’ll really lose her, maybe not just her too.” Gi Kwang smirked before leaving the table.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Woo Hyun was at the track that night, practicing for his tournament the next day.

 

 

“One more lap and we’re done, Woo.” Tablo said, his voice ringing at the radio in Woo Hyun’s helmet.

 

 

Woo Hyun nodded. He tightly gripped the steering wheel and curved around the pavement, before shifting gears and stepping on the gas.

 

 

Woo Hyun’s mind was on the track but his emotions were everywhere. He was greatly affected by the sudden turn of events. 

 

 

“YA~! Why are you slowing down?!?” Tablo’s voice rang clear in his ears.

 

 

He shook his head, gathering his scattered attention, and got back in his game. He shifted gears and stepped on the gas.

 

 

*Not now, Woo. Concentrate.* Woo Hyun gripped the steering wheel and made another sharp turn, while stepping on the brakes. He shifted gear and sped up.

 

 

Woo Hyun finished his lap and sadly sighed. He didn’t feel satisfied with his performance today.

 

 

“Goodjob Woo,” Tablo opened the door of his car and helped him out, “faster than last time.”

 

 

“Thanks, hyung.” Woo Hyun took out his helmet, revealing his poker face before walking away.

 

 

Tablo eyed his retreating figure, *What happened now?*

 

 

 

 

At home, Woo Hyun remembered that his Literature test was tomorrow. He brought out his book and notes from the tutor sessions with Mrs. Jang. He reread them all over and over again but eventually ended up reading one name over and over again.

 

 

“Aish!” Woo Hyun looked away from his notes and clutched his head.

 

 

*This ain’t working…* He looked down, *For either of us.*