A Little Too Late

Fatal Love, Pretty Foolish Love, Puppy Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Hyejin, let's not talk about it right now." Wheein pleads, as if she's already exhausted before they even start their conversation.

"Wheein, I really need to tell you something." Hyejin emphasizes, as if her life depended on it. Words travel fast. She doesn't know how long they can keep it a secret, but she's not planning to hide her relationship with Byul so she'd much rather tell her best friend right now. She wanted to come clean as soon as possible.

"You don't have to tell me." Wheein replied. She already knows. She didn't need to hear it.

"I have to." Hyejin insisted, her face was pleading Wheein to hear her out.

"You and Byul?" Wheein asked. She figured, if she really needed to hear what Hyejin has to say now, then at least she'll do it at her own pace.

Hyejin sighed as she nodded.

"Congratulations, I guess." Wheein greets, she didn't know what Hyejin expected her to say. Because if Hyejin really cared about how she felt, she would've talked to her before this happened. Not now. Not when she waited for Byul for hours just to see her with her supposed best friend. She must've looked stupid and pathetic waiting for Byul like that. She thinks to herself.

"I would've talked to you sooner, but it happened all too fast." Hyejin explained, somehow reading what's been running on Wheein's mind.

"Spare me the details, Hyejin." Wheein replied sharply. She didn't mean to sound rude, but Hyejin seemed to be taken aback.

Hyejin nods in understanding. "I know you must be hurting right now, Wheein. And I wish I could hug you."

If it was any other person, Wheein would've taken offense. It felt like adding salt to the wound; pointing out her pain like that... But it's Hyejin; her best friend. She knows Hyejin meant well. She just told her exactly how she felt at that moment. It was a genuine statement. She smiled weakly, "Who said you couldn't?" she asks.

And in an instant, Hyejin pulls her in for a tight hug.

"I'm sorry." Hyejin apologizes, as she tightens her hug even more. "I know what I did was selfish."

"You don't have to apologize, Hyejin." Wheein disagrees without breaking their hug. She knows it must've been hard on Hyejin too. She's never been selfish. Wheein knows how Hyejin put hers, and their friends' happiness first. She wouldn't put it against her if Hyejin would act selfishly for once. "I wish I could say I'm happy for you, Hyejin. I really do."

Hyejin's heart breaks silently at how bittersweet it is. "All I could ask of you right now is to not hate me." Hyejin states.

Wheein was the first to break from the hug. She puts a distance between them, placing a hand on both of Hyejin's arms. "I could never hate you, Hyejin." her eyes speaking for her of how sincere she was.

Hyejin smiles at her. She's just happy to be reassured that no matter what happens, their friendship would be a constant in her life. Their situation is still a mess but somehow, knowing that Wheein will stay by her side, she couldn't help but feel tenfolds lighter.

Byul's POV:

Suddenly, I remembered that night that Yongsun visited me. The same night I confessed my feelings to Wheein.

That night, I was aware of just how badly I wanted Wheein to make space for me in her heart, and yet I also know how Yongsun was already at home in mine. And I know I should've stopped then and there. I should've stopped before it was too crowded for a heart to handle.

But right now, thinking of Hyejin, I guess they have to just make room for one more...

I used to be that hopeless romantic that firmly believed that a heart should only hold a space for one person, but fate proved to me that a heart could hold as much as you let it.

Or maybe it wasn't fate. Maybe it was bad decisions and indecisions. My bad decisions and indecisions.

But is it really wrong? To love different people all at once? I thought love was the one thing that people can find no fault in. But I can't help but think that I've been doing love all wrong. I wish I could control my heart and command it to beat for only one, but it keeps on defying me. Am I supposed to blame myself for it?

Maybe.

I shake my head, snapping awa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter