Church Girl

Fatal Love, Pretty Foolish Love, Puppy Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hyejin's POV:

"Have you ever wanted to ask a question so badly but you didn't, because you know you wouldn't like the answer?" Wheein came to see me, at ten o'clock in the evening to ask me this question.

"I guess…" I answered, unsure of what this was about. Although I knew who this is about. "Why? What's wrong?"

"Why did you assume that there's something wrong?" she countered. She looked like a mes. Surely this wasn't just an impulse, and this has been bothering her far too long.

"Because…you're here: with me, instead of being with your girlfriend." I answered reasonably.

"It's not like we spend every free time with each other…" she stated simply, although she knew that's not what I meant.

"Come on, I've known you since kindergarten, and if you think that I don't know that something's bothering you then you're wrong." I said matter-of-factly.

"I heard you helped set up Byul and Yongsun-ssi?" she didn't sound like she was accusing me, but I felt guilty nonetheless because of the sadness that laced her voice. I could see in her eyes that she somehow felt betrayed.

"Why? Did something bad happen?" I asked inquisitively.

"Nothing." She sighed, shaking her head.

I was about to protest but she beat me to it.

"Really. Nothing really happened." She smiled but it faded as quickly, "I just feel like something's not the same, you know?" I nodded even though I didn't really understand. "There's something that I think we both know, but…we're too afraid to talk about."

I stayed quiet, thinking carefully what to say next. I'm not really sure now whether Wheein's talking about them or talking about us.

Wheein hesitated before speaking, "Do you…happen to know, what they talked about?" she asked hopefully.

I shook my head and she tried not to look disappointed but her eyes betrayed her. "I wish I knew."

We let silence settle between us for a moment.

"How's Yongsun-unnie?" she asked shyly, disregarding our previous topic.

I may not acknowledge it, but I feel like our group is falling apart, slowly, like we don't stick anymore. But seeing her smile and knowing that she's concern gave me hope that at the right time, everything will be alright. We'll all be best friends again, like we used to. And I couldn't help but smile thinking about it.

"She's…okay. I guess. She doesn't frown as often." I answered lamely.

She smiled sadly. She misses her. She doesn't have to say it but I can see it right through her. "Why can't everything just go back to the way it was?"

"Are you willing to give up your relationship for having our friendship back?" I inquired, carelessly.

She was smiling while she contemplated. And I smiled because she actually tried to think it through, which meant that our friendship was that important to her.

"No." she answered with conviction. "Byul…" her smile told me everything I needed to know. She's in love, and if I still had any doubts about her love for my Byul, it was gone; because that's the smile I make whenever I think about Byul too. "…she's the best thing that ever happened to me. Maybe it sounds cliché, but she changed my world. I don't know what I'd do if I lose her; I don't intend on finding out."

"You have to know; that we're still your best friends. Of course you can't come to Yong for relationship advices right now, but you can talk to her. She doesn't hate you." I assured her, because knowing Wheein, she probably thinks she's not worthy of talking to Yong.

"You think so?" her face seemed to lighten up a bit; she didn't have to say it, but I know she misses her too.

"I know so." I said with confidence.

We hugged each other tightly, thankful for each other's company.

Maybe I'm exaggerating, but in my perspective, Yongsun-ssi is like the glue in our group that keeps us together. She's like our leader. We confide in her for advices, we share our secrets to her. When there's a misunderstanding she makes us understand.

But we can't depend on her now.

Not when she's the one conflicted. It's only now that I realize how hard Yongsun-unnie's job is. We're all stubborn, and being in love with each other doesn't make it any easier.

"Thanks, Hyejin-ah." she says with a grateful smile.

"But I didn't even do anything." I replied.

"Are you kidding?" she replies, "You have always been right by my side. So I'm thanking you because I know I could always count on you."

I feel a little guilty for not being able to tell her what I really feel, but at this point I don't even think I have a choice but to keep this one secret from her. She's the most important person in my life and I can't afford to lose her, so I can't be completely honest with her.

Ignorance is a bliss.

For now, all I can give Wheein is comfort and assurance that she's not losing any of us. We're always going to be friends, forever and always.

 

Hyejin's POV:

"Sowon! Will you stop pacing?" I knew she'd be like this when she finds out my feelings for Byul. But I have to tell someone about it or I'd explode, and it's not like I could tell Yongsun-ssi about it. Minhyuk would just tease me to death. Byul-ssi and Wheein are out of the question, obviously. Irene-unnie and Seulgi-ssi have their own pr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter