Drunk In Love

Fatal Love, Pretty Foolish Love, Puppy Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Byul’s POV:

It’s been exactly 3 months and 2 days since I last talked to Wheein. She avoided me at all costs. I thought we’d get back together by the end of the semester but not only are we still not back together, we’re not even on speaking terms right now.

But I never stopped texting her. I don’t do it all the time because I don’t want to be overbearing - although its hard for me to do so- but I contact her once in a while, not that I’m getting any reply either, but I want her to know that I’m still waiting for another chance with her. And finally, today, she agreed to meet-up.

“Thank you for seeing me today.” I said, as she sits across me, placing her phone on the table.

“What do you want to talk about?” Wheein asked, she looked nervous, but she’s acting as if she’s got bigger things to do.

“Us.” I answered directly. I expected her to roll her eyes and tell me that she’s tired but she just sighed and listened intently, waiting for me to continue.

“I think I’ve given you enough space?” I said as more of a question, because I’m not sure how much more time she needs, because it doesn't seem like we're getting any progress by not talking.

“Byul-unnie…” she trailed off, contemplating how to say what she wants to.

"Unnie?" I questioned.She dropped the honorific when we dated, I don't know why she keeps on saying it again.

But she didn't answer.

“I missed you, Wheein.” I said truthfully as I reached for her hand across the table. I don't care if I come off as needy or desperate; I want her to know how I feel.

She was about to say something but her phone started ringing, and before she could grab it I saw Taehyung’s name on her screen. My heart sank, but I didn’t want to assume. I know she doesn’t like it when I get jealous because of Taehyung, so I did my best not to look affected. I saw her look at me before rejecting the call.

“You can ans--” I started to suggest but she cut me off.

“He can wait.” She simply answered.

There are rumors going around that Wheein and Taehyung are dating but I don’t want to believe it until I hear it from her, besides, our friends would know if they are dating and they told me that they’re just good friends. That is, unless, they just didn’t want me to know. “Are you sure?” I asked carefully.

But she didn’t answer again. “I’ve been thinking about us too.” She said instead. And now I wasn’t sure who she’s talking about because Taehyung is our previous topic but the softness in her eyes tells me that she’s referring to us.

“Really?” I asked, I’m just happy to know that she still thinks about us even though she never replied to my texts, or any attempts of communicating with her.

She nodded. “You know that Taehyung has always been there for me, right?” I don’t think I like where this is going.

“So?” I managed to say, even though my throat feels like closing off, I let go of her hand.

“I’m thinking about giving him a chance.” She said, caressing the back of her neck, looking at anywhere but me.

“And where does that leave us?” I wanted to ask, but I could feel my tears about to fall and I have to concentrate to not let them fall, so I stayed quiet, I didn’t want my voice to crack anyways.

This time she reached for my hand, “Byul, I’m still thinking about it.” She said cautiously, sensing that I’m breaking apart inside, because how could I not? “That’s why I wanted to see you, because I want you to hear it directly from me.”

I couldn’t say anything, I just looked at the ceiling thinking that would keep my tears from falling but I was proven wrong when I felt tears roll down my cheeks. “So this is what karma feels like, huh?” I said, laughing humorlessly.

This is exactly why I didn’t want to give her space in the first place; because I might lose her even more when I do so.

“Byul, I just think that this would be good for us.” She tried to explain but I’m too devastated with the news to process it and, let alone understand it.

“Us? How? How does dating Taehyung make it good for us? Or maybe you’re talking about you and him when you say ‘us’” I said, my voice rising a bit.

“Don’t be like this--” she tried to comfort me by rubbing her thumb along my knuckles but it isn’t working, not this time.

I wanted to pull my hand from hers but I wanted to savor this moment. “Don’t you love me anymore?”

“I do.” She said instantly. “I still do.” she said in such sincerity and emphasis that it made no sense at all why she’d want to date Taehyung

“Then get back with me instead.” I said, pleading.

“Byulyi, maybe this is for the better.” she repeats. It frustrates me how it didn't make sense no matter how much I tried to understand.

“Do you love him?” I asked.

But she didn’t answer. She just sighed.

“Silence means yes to me.” I remarked, wanting her so badly to say no.

“Byul. Don’t be like this.” She said pleadingly. But how can I not be like this?

“How did you expect me to take this information, Wheein? Did you think I’d jump out of joy?” I asked rhetorically. “You know very well that I’m still waiting for you.”

“I didn’t want you to wait for me. I wanted you to make up your mind.” She replied.

“And I did." I said with gritted teeth.

She was about to reply but I cut her off.

"I chose you, over and over but you kept on rejecting me.” I stated. “Still…that wasn’t enough for you."

"I know I wasn't the perfect girlfriend that you deserve but I would always choose you.You kept on saying that maybe you’re not enough for me but the truth is I’m not enough for you, right?” I added.

“Don’t turn the table on me, Byul.” Wheein said calmly, but I can’t say the same for myself.

“You know what? Fine. Date him. Date whoever you like. We’re not even together, right? Who am I to disagree anyway? I’m just your ex who cheated on you with two of our best friends, right? I’m--”

“Byul, stop!” She exclaimed as she stood up, slamming her fists on the table causing the people around us to look at her.

I was too taken aback to reply.

I thought she was going to walk away but she sat again. And she was clearly frustrated and fighting her tears, that made me all kinds of guilty. “I’m sorry, okay? I just…it feels good to be sure how someone sees me. Taehyung – he’s sure about me. And there’s no other option.”

No other option.

I sighed in defeat.

How could I compete with that?

I know that Taehyung's a far better option than me; that's why I've always so jealous of him. But now that Wheein's actually choosing him over me...it feels like my whole world is crumbling down.

“And with me?” I asked, I wanted to seem strong but I could only pretend for so long. All I know right now is that I’m hurt.

“I just feel that this will be good for the both of us. Can’t you trust me on that?” it wasn’t enough for me, her reason wasn’t enough for my heart. “If we dated other people and we still want each other, then I’d be reassured that I’m not holding you back. That we chose each other because we love each other the most and not just because of chances.”

“You still want me to date someone else?” I didn’t have to wait for her response to know that I was right. “I could never get why you think that dating other people will be good for ‘our’ relationship, but since giving you space will never be enough, okay, fine.” I didn’t say anything else.

I just walked out on her.

I know I acted rudely. I know I wasn’t in the best position to be mad with what happened in our relationship.

I know I’m the one to blame with our break up. But God knows I tried. I tried so hard to fix it because I love her. So maybe I wouldn’t be such a terrible person for being frustrated and for acting out.

I just don’t think I have it in me to be strong for us. I can’t keep fighting if she’s already giving up.

I didn't want to go straight home. Seulgi would be there and she'd ask me things I know I couldn't answer.

Seulgi would just force me to talk about things like feelings.

And right now, I just didn't want to talk about my feelings.

So I went to a bar and decided to drink my heart out.

“Byul-unnie?” Byul turned around to find the owner of the voice and was surprised when she saw Hyejin.

Ahn Hyejin…in a bar. What an unusual sight to see.

“What are you doing here?” was the first question that popped into Byul’s mind.

“You weren’t replying to my texts.” H

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter