Change

Begin Again
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

#np Highlight's The Start

2018

 

What have I got myself into? This wedding, Bona, everything just feels weird to me. But I noticed that when I told the things I told her just now, her eyes changed. They were red, glistening with tears… Did I say wrong things before? I didn’t hurt her feelings, didn’t I?

Thankfully Jisoo, one of my colleague called. I could finally break free from that strange atmosphere before but when I turn to the room, I notice that she’s already gone. Only her luggage is here.

Is she in the bathroom? No.

She’s nowhere to be found.

 

 

My heart’s beating faster every second. I glance at my watch and it’s already 11pm. She’s already gone for 2 hours. I didn’t stop calling her during that time but she didn’t pick up. What if something bad happened to her? No, I won’t let that happen. Bona’s parents’ faces instantly flash through my mind.

That’s it, if she’s not home by 12, I’m going out to find her.

 

But the sound of the door shook me from my thoughts. I spring up from the sofa and hurriedly open the door.

There she is, still wearing the wedding dress she had on earlier but there’s a black chesterfield coat, covering her petite body. I haven’t seen that thing before, the sleeves are a bit too long that I can’t see her small hands. Isn’t this something a guy would wear? Or is this the new trend for the girls?

 

“Gosh, where were you? Why didn’t you pick up my calls?” I can’t help but to bombard her with questions as she walks into the room.

“Sorry, I just wanted to take a walk…”

I let out a deep sigh.

“At least pick up my calls… Why didn’t you?” I nag, feeling quite mad. What if something bad really happened to her? Her parents would be so mad at me, mine as well. Bona fidgets with her fingers, trying to look for an explanation.

But then, I stop to think. Didn’t we agreed that we won’t meddle in each other’s lives? That’s right. I shouldn’t care too much. I calm myself down before continue to speak.

“It’s okay, Bona. As long as you’re fine.”

“You haven’t changed, Wonho-ssi?” She asks timidly and takes the coat off.

“No, not yet. I was worried about you... Anyway, go and have a shower first. I’ll sleep on the couch tonight.”

“Eh, no, no. I’ll sleep on the couch. You’re the one who paid for this room, Wonho-ssi.”

“What kind of nonsense is that?” I chuckle softly at her silly remarks. “I’ll be fine.”

 

***

 

That 3 days honeymoon in Jeju didn’t really went well. During the day, Bona would go out and return back to the hotel room at night. We only had dinner together and we didn’t even speak much to each other. We didn’t have a good talk, I also didn’t want to ask where she had been. Me? I was at the hotel room all day, finishing paperwork for some of my clients’ cases.

I’m not the type who like to walk outside and enjoy nature. It’s different from Bona. She really liked taking pictures. Well, that’s what I remember from our high school days. I wonder if she still has that particular hobby…

 

“Wait.”

I hold her wrist before she can walk towards her house. Carefully, I wrap my hand around hers, intertwining our fingers with each other but there’s a strange nervousness in my chest. Her small hand fits perfectly with mine.

“Remember our deal?” I ask, trying to look at her eyes but she only look down.

“Okay.”

She tightens her hold onto my hand as we walk side by side into her house.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter