Short

Begin Again
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

np# Sunny Hill's Goodbye to Romance

2018

 

What should I tell her? That I haven’t said anything to convince my parents to break off this wedding? Now that everyone in the world knows about our arrangement, it’s getting harder to overcome this.

But we can’t just continue with this!

 

Nobody’s talking again. Our parents left us alone at the veranda of her home and it’s getting very awkward since. I don’t know how to start. Everything has been decided; the place, the date and even where we would go for our honeymoon. Bona didn’t protest, she just kept shut and looked down throughout the dinner. I also couldn’t say anything in front of our parents.

“So, what’s next?”

Her voice shook me from my little daydream.

“It’s not that I told them that I agreed. My parents made their own assumptions. And..” I let out a deep sigh. “The truth is, I can’t oppose my parents. I don’t know how to. They seem so happy about this arrangement, especially my mum. I’m so sorry, Bona.”

She doesn’t answer and looks down to her feet. But not too long after that, she turns to look at me.

 

“I’ve been thinking… Will anything change if we got married? We can still lead our lives like normal, right?”

Her words took me aback.

“My father… He won’t stop talking about death. I left him for 8 years and I feel guilty about it when I saw him at the hospital the other day. If…” She pauses for a second. “If we got married, then maybe he can be happy for once.”

“Are you okay with this?” I ask. “You don’t have anyone special?” I ask carefully. Somehow, I’m a bit nervous for her answer.

“Wha..! No! I mean, no I don’t.”

I stop to think. She sounded right for some strange reasons. Apart from our status from single to married, nothing will change. I can still continue working at Bona’s father’s law firm and she can work is she wants to. Neither of us will interfere with each other’s lives, I will treat her as an acquaintance, nothing more.

And both of our parents will be happy.

 

“Tell you what, this marriage… Let’s just get on with it but nothing will change. You live your life and I’ll live mine. Even if you don’t have a boyfriend, I won’t stop you from seeing other people if you want to.”

Again, she’s quiet but I notice something’s different with her eyes.

“Sure. Let’s do it, Wonho-ssi.”

 

***

 

Is my life going to change? For better or for worse? My life is all about working, be a great lawyer just like I wanted to ever since I was in high school.

Love?

I don’t really believe in that. It’s just an overrated tale, something I won’t ever get or understand. I guess it’ll be beneficial to me as well, the law firm will be mine if I get married to Bona.

It will be okay.

 

2018

 

Time flies so fast and before we knew it, I’m already at my bachelor party. These past few months, nothing much changed. I didn’t see Bona much, unless her parents invited me for dinner. The preparations all has been settled by our parents.

Yes, I’m finally getting married tomorrow and tonight, my old friends insist that we have a guys’ night out, have a toast and eat good food for the last time before I became a married man.

 

“Wow, who would’ve

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter