Favour

Begin Again
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

#np Park Jimin's Star

2019

 

Being of the youngest has its bad side. Even though there are many great ones but I really despise the fact that almost all of the amount of work are given to me, small ones to be exact. Paperwork are like an endless mountain of headache. Since New Year, I’m quite puzzled at the extraordinary amount of workload that I’m getting. Plus, there are a few cases I’m working on to add to the pile…

 

                                          I’m going to stay at my parents’ for a few days.

 

I guess that explains this text. We really rarely see each other and the last time we had a long talk was when I bumped into her at the pork belly restaurant

That walk we had… It was chaotic, messed up, awkward and embarrassing too… But at the same time, I really enjoyed it. I regretted it at first, that abrupt action of holding her hand but as we walked together that night, I thought it was the best decision I have ever made.

It’s just one of my efforts in trying to make Bona happy.

 

But when I asked her about dinner, I can’t deny that I’m a bit disappointed. It turns out that she would rather have dinner with someone else.

Moon Taeil.

I still can’t like him even after the dinner we had together. The way he called her ‘Bona’… I wish he’d stop. It’s like one of my special privileges are taken away from me when he called her like that. But then, like Bona said, it’s just a name.

But strangely, I’m bothered by it. Yeah, I denied it when she asked me about it, but it would definitely look weird if I told her that nobody is allowed to call her ‘Bona’ but me…

I shake my head at these silly thoughts…

What’s with me?

 

I jumped a bit when my phone on the table vibrated. Reading the caller ID, I clear my throat before picking up the call.

“Yes Abeonim?”

“Wonho-ya, where are you?”

“At the office. Why?”

“Nothing… Bona’s here.” His voice’s weak.

“Ah yes, I know. She’s staying there for a few days right?” I ask and lean my back onto my leather chair.

“You’re not coming?”

“Me?”

“You’re busy?”

“Y-Yes.” I answer, feeling a bit guilty. “But I can come too if you want.”

I don’t know why I said that when I have tons of work to do... It’s just that from the sound of Bona’s father’s voice kinda yelled to me to come to his home as well. He then lets out a few horrible coughs that I thought I too could feel the pain in his chest.

“I’d love that.” His voice turned coarser.

“But I’ll be there a bit late… There’s still lot of stuff to do here at the office.”

“Okay.”

“Aboenim… How are you feeling?” I ask, hesitating a bit.

“I’m okay.”

With that, he hangs up. But no, from the sound of his voice, he didn’t sound okay. As I stare at the empty corner of my office, I start to picture Mr. Kim Jaewook’s face. His younger self, his confident façade whenever he stood at the court, the loud and clear voice he possess, the good looks and charisma, and definitely the intimidating gaze he always put on whenever he faced his opponents.

Everything of him… Those were the things I always wished I would have them all to myself.

But now, his hair is grey, the gaze he possess is much softer. There are also wrinkles on his forehead and they would appear more obvious whenever he smiles… I’d say that I would see most of the wrinkles whenever Bona smiles.

Then, I realize that the person that I look up to the most is also a father.

And he’s getting more ill.

 

 

 

2008

 

“You’re here?”

I almost threw the book in my hand when I heard that sudden deep voice, the kind of voice I wish I would have… I quickly put Barry Werth’s ‘Damages’ back into the shelves and straighten my posture.

“Oh, A-Attorney Kim, Sir. Hello.” I give him a 90 degree bow, heart’s slightly racing. Nervousness starts to overwhelm me. “S-Sorry that I came here without permission. I just passed by this room and I was curious and so I came in. I’m really sorry…” Those words came out like shots of bullet from my mouth. Well, more like coming from an Apache pistol…

Instead of scolding me, he suddenly burst into a huge laughter.

“My boy, so I was wrong the entire time?”

“Y-Yes?” I tighten my hold onto my belly,

“I thought you like my daughter but it turns out that you just want to raid my books?”

“I-I’m sorry?!”

I raise my voice slightly at his remarks, a bit surprised.

“Tell me, what is your real reason coming here often, boy?” He narrowed his eyes and took a few steps closer towards me that I thought my knees were shaking. With every steps he took, it’s as if I were burying myself deeper into the ground beneath me. It’s like my heart was popping out from my chest when he looked at me this way.

So this is how it feels to be questioned by one of the greatest lawyers in the country… How exciting!

“I-I uh…”

He halted on his feet when we were standing only a few inches apart.

 

“You want to become an attorney, boy?”

 

That question… Excitement sudde

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter