Chapter 1: Birth of a Caterpillar

Legend of the Butterfly Pavilion

1642, Joseon Dynasty

King Sejong was looking through the list of girls who were eligable for his son, Crown Prince Yoongi of Joseon. "The Queen Mother!" A retain from outside shouted as Sejong's mother and the Queen Mother of her nation entered with her hands underneath her hanbok. "Mother!" Sejong bowed as they both sat down on the table in front. "Mother, what brings you here?" Sejong asked. "I heard you're choosing a bride for my precious grandson." Queen Mother Sukjong said. Sejong nodded. "No luck mother.. No girl suits our Yoongi." Sejong said. "Prehaps she can." Sukjong said as she handed Sejong a piece of paper that she was holding underneath her hanbok.

"I discussed with the Queen. Inhyeon agrees to it." Sejong nodded as Sukjong left for her afternoon tea with her retains. Sejong decided to see who this girl is, Kim Yewon.

In the village....

Yewon was the daughter of the Minister of Finance in Joseon. Her father was the protocol officer and her mom is a noble woman coming from a wealthy family. She grew up with an educational background. She was called in to the palace while wearing her yellow and white handbok. Her maid, Lady Kim followed her. She greeted the royal parents and the Queen Mother. A series of questions were asked by the highly educated scholar in the palace. She was tested with another girl, Seungwan.

"What is the value of the King to the villagers?" The scholar asked. "Highly valued Sire, your love is as deep as the ocean and as high as the sky, your value is as broad and wide as the grasslands. Your love for us is never ending." The King smiled as Seungwan answered and looked at Yewon like a proud peacock. "A penny." Yewon's answer shocked everyone in the room. The scholar bowed as Yewon continued. "A penny is worth a lot to the villagers and people of Joseon, we're poor and have not much. We highly value the price of a penny. To us a penny is gold, diamonds. That's how people of Joseon see the King, sire. You're our gold and treasure." Yewon said.

The King smiled and the two girls were dismissed.

1 year later...

Yewon was announced as the bride of the Crown Prince 8 months ago. She was asked to enter the palace as Future Queen, where she met Yoongi and Seungwan. "Seungwan, I love you, I'll overthrow Yewon as soon as I can, we can be together then." Yoongi said while holding Seungwan. "I can wait. I will always wait." Seungwan said. Yoongi smiled.

Yewon who was nearby with Lady Kim and her new retainers looked at Yewon worriedly. "Your high-" Yewon turned around and the retainers made a path for her. "Your highess..." Lady Kim said. Yewon sighed as she watched Yoongi and Seungwan interact from afar. She let a tear drop. She was unaware that the Queen Mother and Queen saw the interaction and Umji from a distance. "Yewon-ah!" Inhyeon called. Yewon turned around and saw the Queen Mother and the Queen.

The Queen Mother and Queen returned to the Queen Mother's pavilion with Yewon behind. Sukjong was furious. "I brought Seungwan in out of pity that she wasn't choosen, she's now abusing her authority to flirt with the Crown Prince in front of the Crown Princess.." Sukjong said while putting her right fist on the table in fury. "Mother, do not stress yourself. It's no good for your health." Inhyeon said. "How long have you seen them do this?" Sukjong asked Yewon. "Ever since I've been in the palace.. the first day, I was supposed to meet the Crown Prince, I heard them talking in his pavilion about wanting to overthrow me. I even heard them kiss...' Yewon said while looking down. Inhyeon held her hands as a sign of support. Sukjong dismissed Yewon while Inhyeon stayed.

Yewon walked around the garden slowly with her retainers behind. She met her brother, Kim Namjoon. The scholar at the palace. "Oraeboni!" Yewon smiled as the retains bowed to greet him. "Yewon-ah.." Namjoon carrssed her hair. They entered Yewon's pavilion. "Oraeboni! I'm so happy to see you!" Yewon said. "Your highness, how's it going with the Crown Prince?" Namjoon asked. Yewon's face fell. "I caught them again.. kissing and talking about overthrowing me." Umji sighed. Namjoon smiled softly. "Oraeboni is always here. Talk to me if you need!" Namjoon said. Yewon nodded as Nanmjoon left.