Chapter 26: Legacy of a Butterfly's Wings

Legend of the Butterfly Pavilion

[Yoongi's pov]

I stood outside the Butterfly pavilion where the funeral was happening. It seemed like the butterflies never died, they all flocked to me. I closed my eyes as I heard the fluttering of the wings.

"My Lord!" I smiled as I saw Yewon's shadow and her bright smile... but then she disappeared.

"Yewon..."

I was about to leave.

"Father!"

I turned to see Yeon and Ilmin.

"Father, Royal Mother said she is finally free. Is that true?"

Yeon handed me a letter and I opened it.

Yeon,

Sweet child. Don't cry.

Mother has left.

I am finally free like a true butterfly. Remember What I've said.

I only wish that you and Ilmin are happy and healthy.

Don't do anything that you don't wish to do. I just want you to be happy and free.

Find someone you love and spend the rest of your life with her. Don't forget what I've taught you.

Remember, to treat everyone kindly.

I love you my prince. I love you more than anyone in this world.

Please take care of Ilmin well.

~Mother

I kept the letter as I felt a ring fall out, looking at it. It was the ring I wore as a child and it was given to Yewon for the past 15 years.

"Since your mother gave it to you, then keep it properly."

I handed it back to Yeon and returned to my study. I sat there till it was dark.

"Your Majesty!"

The door opened to reveal Lady Kim. She held onto an envelope.

"Lady Kim..."

She stepped forward and handed the envelope to me, "This is the Queen's last letter she wrote."

Yoongi

It's Yewon.

All these days I've thought about us so much.

About Yeon, about our moments.

Our Love story seemed so funny.

Do you know what the 'The vicissitudes of life' mean?

When I was young, learning about this phrase seemed like a pity to me.

Now, I finally understand it's true meaning.

Life seemed like a dream to me.

All these years, I can't believe you were in my arms.

Right and wrong.

Love and hate.

We bury those in our hearts in the end.

Do you think you didn't have my whole heart?

Are you wondering if I resent you?

No, I don't.

I love you too much, My Lord.

I'm afraid my only flaw was to never stop loving.

I'm so scared I'll leave you with hatred.

I still love you...

When you held my hand,

when you hugged me so close after the fire.

When you told me "I will never let go of you."

It seemed as if  butterflies danced in my stead.

I realise you became someone who I can't forget.

I thought of it so much...

That the opposite of love is not hate, but leaving.

I'm so afraid you'd think I left you and you left me.

I'm also afraid no one will take care of you after I leave

I'll wait for you... at the river where we met.

At the tree where our purple ribbon stayed.

I yearn for you so much but I can't be with you.

I hope to see you at the tree waving at me.

I hope we can recover the lost times in each others arms.

I love you, Min Yoongi.

But, I have to let you go.

You spoke about love,

yet you didn't say love will stay between two souls.

My hair is my final gift to you.

I wish you good health, Your Majesty.

I love you.

~Kim Yewon
Wife of Yoongi and Yeoheung Min Clan

 I held onto the letter as I closed my eyes.

"Your Majesty. How does it feel? To know the woman who loved you so dearly left. All that's left is only those who remember the way you neglect the Queen."

"Lady Kim."

She screamed, "How could you? The Queen waited for you in vain. For four years, even though the dirt you threw on her. She waited and waited. She longed for you and held onto the dress tassel you gifted her. She held it to the moon to beg for forgiveness. She looked at it and said 'My Lord, how have you been?' All these while when she was outside the palace, you've never looked at her, only Consort Jieun mattered."

I kept mum and closed my eyes, "I'm sorry-"

"No. Sorry won't do. How will this bring back Her Highness? Our Princess... she's the grand princess of Qing and daugher of the Emperor! She begged the Emperor and got down on her knees for days in the rain just to get married to you, went against the Emperor and cried. She has never done this before. She never asked for anything in her life but the only time she got on her knees was when she got married to you. She begged everyone to get married to you. What did she get in the end. A cold hearted King..."

I watched as Lady Kim pulled out a dagger and aimed it at me. The guards stepped in front of me.

"Do you think I'll hurt you? No... If I do that, the Queen will hold grudges against me when I meet her again." Instead, she stabbed herself in the heart, "Your Majesty. All these while when you enjoyed life with festivals and Consort Jieun. Our Queen laid in sadness and loneliness filled her world. She only asked for your attention. You only came to her when you were drunk and uttered slurs to her then took advantage of her. The lonely nights she endured." She looked up and screamed, "YOUR HIGHNESS- why was your life so painful!"

I watched as blood dripped down, "Lady Kim, please stop!"

"Even in her final moments. All she said was "My Lord, I love you." While holding the hair that she cut off, the hair that used to tie both of you together... She cut off her hair to represent her letting go of you. How can you ever repay her? How can you face her? You can never! She waited for you for the past 20 years. Even in her final moments, she saw your shadows!"

Lady Kim collapsed in front of me as Yerin stormed into the study with her men and Yeebin.


[Yerin's pov]

"Madam, we are ready to return to the Great Qing tommorrow."

I nod as I remember Yewon's final request, "Right... the envelope."

My drawers were empty so I decided to search in Yewon's pavilion and I found nothing too.

"Yeebin. Where did Lady Kim go?"

"I'm not sure... she told me to take care of the princes."

Sana and Soonyoung also assisted. My eyes widened.

"No way. Sana and Soonyoung, keep watch on the princes and children. Yeebin follow me."

"Yes Madam."

I walked over to the King's study as Eunuch Yu greeted me.

"Is Lady Kim inside?"

"Yes... but..."

I walked past Eunuch Kim and entered the study as I saw Lady Kim laying in a pool of blood with a dagger in her hands. I ran over with Yeebin.

"Hei! Wake up."

She smiled at me, "Lady Yerin... you promised the Queen you'd take care of her well and you did. You protected her children so well... Lady Yerin... I've broke my promise. I cannot let the Queen go on her own. Our Queen has led a lonely life. I want to follow her. She doesn't deserve to be alone in Heaven. Please, Lady Yerin... never forget her words... don't forget her efforts. Protect our..." She mouth the word 'princess'

I nod as I feel Lady Kim relax in my arms.

"Lady Kim... No!" Yeebin sobbed as she hugged Lady Kim's body.

Brother Namjoon entered with two guards and carried Lady Kim's body out as Yeebin follows them out.

"Your Majesty." I look at the envelope and sighed, bending my knees, "I take my leave."

"Wait."

I turned to face him again.

"Did she say anything else?"

"Yewon knows her children can't stay here. We will return to the Great Qing with the Princes tomorrow. It is the Queen's final wish."

He nods, "A-alright... but you must know... so long as they live. They remain the Crown Prince of Joseon and their heirs will regain that title."

"Your Majesty, I just wished you could show her love when she was still here. Until the end, she was most worried about you. She knew you would be alone above the ranks and so she tried her best to be with you. Even in her last moment, she saw your shadow and smiled before she left."

I bend my knees before turning to leave.


[Yeon's pov]

I kneeled before mother's shrine as I wiped my tears.

"Prince Yeon... it's late now."

I got up with the help of Yeebin, we walked back to my pavilion with Ilmin following me.

"Lady Yerin!"

I run up to Lady Yerin as she smiled and ruffled my hair.

"Lady Yerin, can I request something?"

She lowers herself and nods, "Of course sweetie."

"Can I follow you back to the Qing Dynasty?"

She looks at me, "What did your mother tell you...?"

"She said if anything happens to her... I should listen to you..."

"Alright then..."

I watch Lady Yerin leave and then finally look up in the sky.

"Mother... are you happy now?"

Just then, a purple butterfly flew and landed on my head before fluttering off.

"Mother..."


[Yoongi's pov]

I did not sleep the entire night. I know today is the day Yerin returns to Qing with Yewon's children. I ordered Yewon's body to be buried near Consort Seungwan. I stood at the Palace watch towers as I watch Yerin, Taehyung, Jungkook and Namjoon lead an army out of Joseon.

"Yewon... Is this what you wished for? I'm sorry I could not make you happy in this life. Wait for me... in my next life I will repay you."

I sat in my study with the words "The vicissitudes of life (兰因絮果)" written on the paper.

"Your Majesty, drink some tea."

I kept mum as Eunuch Yu place it in front of me.

"Your Majesty, what does 'The vicissitudes of life' mean?"

"This four words describes a marriage that starts off great but in the end, it ends as tragedy."

I glance at the words as Eunuch Yu put them away, I decided to work on a drawing instead when Royal Grandmother came in. I was too focused staring into space to even notice.

"Your Majesty, what is the meaning of this? You demoted Yewon's funeral to that of a Noble Consort and buried her near Consort Seungwan and not near your future tombstone. What would the people say?"

I sighed, "Royal Grandmother, you said that Yewon never cared for the Crown nor did she care for any favour. In that case, why should I force her to uphold the Crown? Prehaps, it would be better for her."

"Your Majesty..."

"Grandmother..."

She glanced at me, "Royal Grandmother seemed to come out smoothly, Grandmother has been a term you never called for the past 30 years."

I sighed, "Grandmother, you're right. Yewon never cared for all these, she seemed to only value relationships. She was the one who remembered our promises, while I forgot about them."

Grandmother nods and stands up, "Alright then, since you've decided what to do... I shan't stop you."

I stood up to bow as a way to see grandmother off. She then looks at my drawing before looking back at me.

"Sometimes... what is the hardest to face is the most difficult to forget."

I looked at my drawing as Royal Grandmother walks back. It was the picture of a pavilion I was going to build. 'Butterfly Blossom.' With Yewon's favourite butterflies and plum blossoms.


[Yewon's pov]

My name is Kim Yewon, I was 14 when I entered the palace. I was crowned Queen at 15, left Joseon at 17 and I returned when I was 22. I finally left this world at 25. I left behind so many things when I decided to marry. I wish everyone of you will marry someone you love and stay happy forever!
~ Kim Yewon, Princess of Qing