Bonus Chapter 3: The Butterfly Effect

Legend of the Butterfly Pavilion

[Somi's pov]

It's currently the 28th year since Yewon's death... Her children must have grown up. If Yewon is still here, she would be 53. After Yewon left, the Emperor Yoongi never cared about anyone in the inner harem.

"Your Majesty, here's your tea."

He looked up. Eyes cold as ice as if only sister Yewon would warm him up.

"You don't have to do this."

"It's my duty."

He said nothing but looked at the potrait of sister Yewon. It was turning yellow with time but he still kept it like it was precious.

"Your Majesty is still remembering sister?"

I saw him keep mum and tried to prompt him.

"Your Majesty..."

"Yu, didn't I say no one can enter the study?"

"Your Majesty, why not take a walk in sister Yewon's pavilion?"

"Somi."

I looked at him, "Your Majesty, what's the point of regretting it now. You should have appreciated Her Majesty while she is still here."

"Just because you're the Imperial Noble Consort doesn't mean you can speak to me like this."

"Your Majesty knows what I'm talking about. Why bother?"

He slams the table but I didn't flinch.

"Get out."

I smirked, "If not for sister Yewon's final request. Why would I bother coming here everyday and caring about you?"

His eyes changed hearing sister Yewon's name come out of my mouth.

"What did she say?"

I took out a yellowish envelope. I kept sister Yewon's final letter that Lady Yerin handed me 28 years ago.

"Here you go."

He took the envelope and seem to recognise the familiar handwriting before looking up at me.

"Is this?"

I bowed, "I take my leave."

I turned with Lady Park following me as we walked out of the Emperor's Study.

"Your Highness... I was so anxious for you when you went against the Emperor."

"What is there to worry about? The Emperor can always demote me but he won't because of sister Yewon. Furthermore, he knows its the truth."

Lady Park sighs, "Yes, Your Highness."

I nod, "Let us go then."


[Yoongi's pov]

I sat in my study as I held onto the yellowish letter Somi handed me. I held onto it as I read the familiar handwriting I recongise and know with all my heart. I sighed as I opened it to read 

"Somi,

This is Yewon, how have you been?

It has been years since we had tea together,

Are you all better now?

I'm writing this letter because I have a request for you...

Leaving this world, I have no worries

I know my children will be taken care of

I know everyone will protect them,

I am only concerned...

Who will protect His Majesty after I'm gone?

Who will care for him again?

He will be lonely up in his throne,

without anyone next to him.

I did promise him I would be with him

Forever...

But It seems like I have to break my promise.

I have seen so many people in the palace go...

From Consort Huijin to your daughter,

To the Crown Prince Yeon whom once promised me that he will love me forever,

those people are all gone,

all that's left to remember them are their titles

'Noble Consort', 'King' and finallly 'Queen'.

If only I really cared for those titles...

Somi,

you are the person whom I trust with anything.

I know you probably won't agree to it.

Please, think of it as my last wish.

I beg you,

Take care of His Majesty well...

Walk with him until he steps down from the throne.

Just make sure when it's hot,

send him a bowl of green bean soup.

When it's cold,

His Majesty doesn't like ginseng soup.

Instead, allow him to get some ginger in his tea.

When he's tired, let him drink chrysanthemum with some honey.

His favourite dish is a duck dish with some grilled sweet pumpkins,

however if he eats too much, it will make him cough.

When he is served with the dish,

make sure you prepare a cup of chamomile tea.

When he reads scrolls that officials sent,

he will forget to eat.

Let him have a plate of plum blossom cakes,

take some green plum blossom petals from my pavilion

make sure to pluck them when it is early in the morning so there are dew drops

The dew drops collected can be used to make tea.

His Majesty used to love it when I made it for him,

now when I'm gone,

I hope he can still enjoy something

instead of eating all the repeating delicacies.

His Majesty doesn't like eating medication when he is sick,

get his attendants to have honey prepared so he can have a sweet ending to the bitter start.

Thank you, Somi.

Please help take care of him.

I only worry for him,

how he will endure the fact I'm leaving.

Please be there for him,

I don't trust any other consorts other than you..

Thank you, Somi...

Yewon, Wife of the Yeoheung Min Clan's King
Princess of Qing and Queen Consort of Joseon

I looked at the letter as tears fell out. I cowered and sobbed as I see her shadows everytime I close my eyes. All these years, I have loved to sleep for long hours and work for short hours. I look at her potrait and for the first time in decades, I carassed her face in the potrait. However, all I came in contact with was the paper. I sighed as I made eye contact with her and nod. I took out a piece of paper and wrote the name for the next successor,

'Yoonhi'

I rolled up the piece of small decreed and placed it in a white jade box that was carved with dragons and placed it in.

"Your Majesty.."

I dripped some wax on the box as Yu came over with a cup of tea for me. I sealed the box with a dragon stamp over the melted wax. The wax hardened fast and I nod as I place the box behind the study and also one more above the study's plaque.

"Your Majesty is so nice to your children."

"In this life, relationships, family and even the person I loved the most... I lost them all. Now I am truly alone on top of my throne.."

I walked over to Yewon's pavilion and look through her pavilion again. I sighed as I stood outside the gates as my retinues stood behind waiting while eunuch Yu was beside me.

"Yu..."

"Your Majesty."

"Let us go."

I walked back to the Butterfly Blossom Palace.


[Jieun's pov]

I smiled as I held onto the ring that brother Jiyong gave me so many years ago.

"Brother Jiyong... to think about it, it has been 20 years since I became the Emperor's consort. You know, all these while I was selfish. I only remembered myself and my family, yet I forgot the person who loves me more than my family... you."

I smiled as I looked at the dress brother Jiyong prepared for me. A chest Empress Ju left for me. I smiled as I trace its red material.

"Empress Ju... I disappointed you. The world will never remember me as a good consort but one who seduced the Emperor. You and the Emperor... because of me seperated."

I wore the hanbok and glanced in the rusted full-length yellow tint mirror. Even with the blurry reflection, the bright red material stood out. I traced the accessories and placed them on slowly. I smiled as I saw brother Jiyong's reflection.

"Brother Jiyong.... am I pretty?"

He looks at me and nods, smiling. I touched my cheeks and smiled brightly.

"Brother Jiyong. In this life, I can't marry you... wait for me in another. I will repent and hold myself accountable. In that life, I will meet you and love you as if I did in this life."

I smiled and trace the beads that were falling off the hairstick. It was a phoenix hairstick made of gold.

"Brother Jiyong... Jieun knows she isn't worthy of this dress. Compared to me... Empress Ju is someone who can uphold the Phoenix. That was also what ruined me. I was more concerned about the image of the Phoenix and forgot that a true Phoenix will never show its power or be greedy."

I sat before my vanity and then looked at my reflection as I let out a harsh cough.

'Empress Ju... brother Jiyong.... Eunbi... Yeon... Ilmin... Imperial Noble Consort Huijin... Emperor Yoongi... I beg for forgiveness...'

I held onto our token of love, our ring and smiled. I looked at the small bottle of poison that the Emperor sent and smiled. I looked at my outfit for one last time as Consort Jeon came into the room with Lady Park and another inspector.

"Do I look fine?"

She nods, "Yes, you look beautiful."

I smiled as I made eye contact with Somi, "Somi... your child. I apologise for harming her back then. Prehaps, you're right. I'm too greedy. Death will be the start of my redemption."

She places her hand underneath her dangui and nods.

"I accept it."

"I will go and find Empress Ju, finally.. after years, I get to chase after her and beg her for forgiveness in person."

I pick up the bottle of poison and smiled as I opened it and drank it quickly. Consort Jeon looked at me as blood came out of my mouth while I cough. My life flashes by before my eyes as I smile. Empress Ju... Brother Jiyong... Imperial Consort Huijin... Fifth Princess...

'Brother Jiyong, Jieun is coming to find you already. Please wait for me... wait a while longer.'

With that, I collapsed on the floor with blood trinkling down my lips as my hand grips onto the ring of dragons and petals.

'Jieun of the Lee Clan, 1639-1683. Birth Mother of the future Emperor Yoonhi. She was Royal Consort from the year 1650-1683. She was posthumously given the title Consort of Second Rank with the title Shujia, (淑贾贵人, 李氏)"


20 years later... 14th year of Emperor Yoonhi's reign.

[Yoongi's pov]

I abdicated the throne for the sake of my grandfather who reigned for 64 years. I was already weak and frail as I tried to search for something.

"Your Majesty, what are you looking for?"

I turned as a eunuch came into the room, "That- that box... that box..."

"I'll get it for you."

I nod as I walked over to my seat and sat down as I felt coal burning warmly below my seat. It was the 48th year of Yewon's passing. The eunuch came over with a small box and also a scroll. I looked at the box and nod.

"Go down then."

The eunuch bowed and then went down. I walked over to my desk as I placed the items before me and I opened the box to see a handkerchief sown with some plum blossoms and also some clouds. There was also a satchet that Yewon sown for me before she left for Joseon. It was made of cloud embroidery because Yoon sounds like cloud in chinese. below those is a hair tied with a red string. It was the hair Yewon cut off and placed in the letter before she left the world. I looked at those and then took a strand of my hair which was braided up. I weakly took a scissors and cut off some parts of the hair that were hanging off the ends. I cut off some of it and then placed the hair into the box. I placed the satchet and handkerchief back as I closed the box. Yewon's potrait which was in front of me was hanging in front of me. I carrassed the box and held it as I took a seat again.

"My Lord..."

It was Yewon's voice again. This time it was clearer. I closed my eyes as I recall to the moment when I first saw her in the palace again.

"Your Majesty!"

'Emperor Yoongi of the Yeoheung Min Clan, 1627-1721. One of the longest reiging mornarchs in the world and also a long reiging 'Retired Emperor'. He is known for writing poems in rememberance of Empress Ju for the last 14 years of his life. He would often go to Empress Ju's grave and speak to her there. During his reign, He never allowed anyone else to stay in the Butterfly Pavilion of Empress Ju and even for many years after, no consort was allowed to stay in the Butterfly Pavilion or Butterfly Blossom Palace. After him, no other woman from the Kimgiya Clan entered Joseon as a consort.'

 

With Yoongi's passing, the butterflies from the Butterfly Pavilion flew out again. Yewon's favourite green plum blossoms bloomed again.

'Prehaps this is how Yewon intends to forgive the Emperor.'

Somi thought to herself as the news of the Emperor's passing was notified to her. She is now Queen Dowager while Jennie is Queen Mother. The term Emperor was only used in between the Joseon Dynasty for a short period. However, just like the title depicts. All of them never appeared before... they were all a lie. A legend people use to speak about the various butterflies that flock around one pavilion in the palace..

There hung a potrait of their butterfly queen, Empress Ju... Chrysanthemum was used to represent her grace and elegance. However, it seemed like she was forgotten for years. Until the butterflies unveiled her presence again. Only then, did people remember her again.