Chapter 17: A butterfly's promise

Legend of the Butterfly Pavilion

[Yoongi's pov]

I sat down in my study with Yewon opposite me.

"I never knew Seungwan was like this... She was so pure and beautiful when I met her six years ago, just what.."

Yewon gave a comforting smile, "My Lord, Seungwan loved you too much. She would do all it takes to get to you."

I sighed, "Right.. Prehaps her death would give her freedom again."

"My Lord, is there no other way?"

"Seungwan wanted it, she requested death. She said she would rather die than to live disgraced."

Yewon frowned, "But.. what about the Prince?"

"I don't know, Yewon. I'm so tired already."

Yewon bit her lips and nodded, "Rest then My Lord."

I nod as Yewon left.


[Yewon's pov]

I just left the pavilion when I saw Ilmin walking in my direction with his retinues following.

"Your Highness!"

Ilmin kneeled down when he saw me as my courtladies bowed to me.

"Prince, stand up."

Ilmin refused to get up, "Your Highness. You have a way don't you? Please tell Father to spare Mother. She did all these for me!"

I lowered myself, "Prince.. this-"

Lady Jang came over with another inspector, "Your Highness! They are getting ready for the trial."

"Mother.." Ilmin stood up and ran off, "No! Mother!"

I chased after him as our retinues ran after us, "Prince!"

He ran to Seungwan's pavilion but was stopped by guards.

"Mother!"

Seungwan saw Ilmin and tears rolled down her cheeks, "Prince! My Baby!"

"Move! I am a Prince!"

I turned to the guard, "Let him see his mother for one last time."

The guard ran over and was taken over by another guard, "I'm afraid we can't Your Highness. The King ordered this."

I sighed and just watched them.

The guard turned to the other guards, "Bring the Prince back to his pavilion!"

"Mother!"

Ilmin's retinues took him and went back to his pavilion, "Mother! Mother!"

"Prince!"

I glanced at Seungwan who was sobbing on the floor before turning to walk off.


[Seungwan's pov]

I was sitting in my pavilion as I clenched my fist while thinking about Yewon's words for the past few days, I stood up and got out of my pavilion but I was stopped.

"Step aside, I have someone to meet."

The guard looked at me, "My Lady, I can't let you out."

I glared at him, "Move aside!"

"Mother!"

I looked and saw Ilmin, "Ilmin.. Prince!"

"Mother! Mother!"

"Prince!"

The guards stopped me from meeting him and Ilmin was brought back by force. Through my tearful eyes I could see Yewon.

"Your Highness! Your Highness!"

I ran towards Yewon.

"Your Highness the Queen!"

I stood in front of her, "You said you will never hurt Ilmin, is that true?"

She remained silent.

I smiled as tears filled my eyes, "I was going to see you again, for one last time."

"You said it was fate but my choices."

I held her hands, "Right, my choices. It was my choices and I will pay for it.. But my Ilmin, my boy.. He cannot suffer for my actions." 

Hot tears rolled down my cheeks as I kneeled and gripped onto her skirt.

"Consort Son-"

"Tell me, is there someway I can do to change his fate? Yewon! I know I tried to kill you...more than once. But now you're the only one I can ask to help him.. You whom I hated most! My death pays for it all! So please, please, take care of my son! I beg you to look after him...I'm begging you to look after my son...I'm begging you to look after my son! Please it's my dying wish! Please, protect him... Protect my boy. Ilmin is the only one whom I love so much in the world now. Please...Yewon I'm begging you. Yewon.. Please look after him.. Yewon please protect him, protect him. It is my dying wish.. Please Yewon... Please!"

I kept crying as I begged her.


[Yewon's pov]

Seungwan wailed as she grabbed onto my skirt, " Please look after him.. Yewon please protect him, protect him. It is my dying wish.. Please Yewon... Please!"

I did not answer her outwordly but kept silent. I turned to walk off as the trial was starting.

Seungwan chased me but was blocked by guards, "Your Highness- Yewon! Please, take care of my child!"

I reached my pavilion and entered with Lady Kim and Yeebin following.

"Your Highness.."

"Seungwan committed many crimes when she was alive but if her dying wish is for me to protect Ilmin then we should respect it."

Lady Kim bowed, "Yes Your Highness."

I sighed, "If Seungwan was not blinded by love... Prehaps we could be friends."

Lady Kim and Yeebin remained silent.

"Maybe we'll have this chance in our next life."


[Seungwan's pov]

I changed into a white robe after the meet with Yewon. I sat down in my pavilion doing a silent prayer. I smiled, recalling the final memories. I held onto the pendant Yoongi gifted me and I wore it as a official entered.

"My Lady, it's time."

"I have one final request."

I closed my eyes as footsteps were heard outside my pavilion, signalling the inspectors who are getting ready. My pavilion was dimly lit.

"High Royal Consort Son Seungwan! Stand Forth!"

I stood up and walked up to the straw mat that was prepared, a table which contained the poison and I sighed. I kneeled on the mat as a guard opened the scroll.

"Son Seungwan, Consort of King Yoongi and Mother of the Crown Prince. Attempted murder of the Queen and Crown Prince Yeon, guilty. Manipulation and attempted murder of the Crown Prince Yeon, guilty. Be it known Son Seungwan is put to death on this day, 20th of the 6th Month of the year 1648, for the good of the nation."

The guard kept his scroll as I stared at the poison in front of me. I looked up to the official.

"Did you tell the King?"

He bowed and I looked up to the side.

'Sire, My Lord.. Can you see me?'

I smiled as I stood up and kneeled, doing a full bow in his direction, 'I lied, you know My Lord. I lied when I said I regret loving you. I knew I couldn't have you all to myself but I wanted it all. I know that kind of selfish love is no love at all.'

I stood up and bowed again, 'And knowing that I beg forgiveness for hurting you. Forgive me for needing you here to watch me, for making this last request.'

I sat down again, 'But I wanted you to see me.. You, more than anyone else. Please Sire.. remember me.'

I picked up the bowl of poison, 'Look and remember.'

I downed the poison and dropped the bowl, recalling memories in the palace again as blood came out from my mouth. The first time I held hands with Yoongi in the Palace.. my first cornation with the Queen Yewon.. when Ilmin was born. I looked up to Yoongi again and smiled.

'Yewon, I beg for forgiveness for my sins.. please protect Ilmin.'

With that I collasped, closing my eyes..


[Yoongi's pov]

"She wants me to watch?"

Yu nodded as I sighed, I went to the watch tower and I was watching the entire execution process according to Seungwan's request.

"Wan..."

I cried as I watched her down the poison and when she smiled before she collasped.

"Seungwan.."


[Yewon's pov]

I was in my pavilion and I walked towards the direction of Seungwan's pavilion in my garden, bowing with my courtladies.

'May you find peace and free from the misery of this life. Seungwan..'

I glanced up at the blue sky as I smiled.

"Your Highness."

I turned to Yeebin, "What is it?"

"Crown Prince Yeon was hurt."

I rushed to Yeon's pavilion to see Ilmin and Yeon who was on the floor, his hand was cut.

"Yeon! What's wrong?"

Yeon shook his head, "No. I accidentally fell down myself."

I checked on his injuries as Ilmin pushed Yeon again. Yeon did not say anything and held back himself when Yoongi came over.

"Ilmin! What are you doing?"

"You are all bad! My mother died because of you, I hope you die too!"

His retinue bowed to me, "Forgive me Your Highness!"

Yoongi glared, "This kid, he is getting more and more outrageous."

I stepped between them, "My Lord, he just lost his mother. Seeing Yeon will surely make his feelings worst so don't scold him."

Yeon stepped forward, "Father, don't scold Ilmin."

Yoongi sighed, "Alright, I'll go off first then."

I bowed with Yeon and the retinues as Yoongi left.

"Yeon come here."

I smiled and checked on Yeon's injuries while Ilmin stood by the side and watched us.

"Ilmin."

Ilmin looked at me.

"Come over here."

He slowly approached me, "Why are you helping me?"

I smiled and did not answer him as I dust his clothes.

"My mother harmed you.."

Yeon stepped towards Ilmin, "Your Mother and you are different people."

I smiled and looked at Lady Ahn, "Take care of the Prince well."

Lady Ahn bowed, "Yes Your Highness."

I turned and left as Ilmin and Yeon bowed