Bonus Chapter 2: Butterfly forgives

Legend of the Butterfly Pavilion

Joseon Dynasty - Winter

[Yoongi's pov]

I stared into space as I sat in the 'Butterfly Blossom' Palace. It's been 9 years since Yewon passed on. I just find out Yewon has a daughter with me, Yeji after I was brought to the Qing to see the Emperor... I looked at the plum blossom stem which was left behind by Yewon as the butterflies flew in from the window and landed on it. I sighed.

"Your Majesty."

I did not move as Yu handed me a hand-warmer. He took it back and handed it to another eunuch.

"Your Majesty, the Empress Dowager is asking for you."

I finally responded and got up from my seat as I went to find Royal Grandmother. We looked out in the snow.

"It's been 9 years since Yewon passed on... now, it is time to make decisions."

I sighed, "The prince is gradually growing up. Having such a mother is not pretty."

Royal Grandmother nods, "I'm glad you know."

"Grandmother... I saw the girl, she looks and acts exactly like Yewon. She wore the butterfly dress tassel and danced with butterflies..."

"I know all these have been hidden from you for a long time, but as long as Jieun lives, we have to keep it away from her."

I smile, "Grandmother, I've invited them to Joseon..."

She smiled, "Yewon would be happy to meet her children."

I nod before standing up, "Grandmother. I'll go off first."

"Go off then."

I turn and change into a normal wear, entered my palaquin and went to our Royal Grave. I walked towards Yewon's Grave and touch the headstone.

'Yewon of the Kimgiya, Empress Ju of the Yeoheung Min Clan, Princess of Qing Dynasty. 1630-1654. A Great and wise Queen. She is Queen both on Earth and in Heaven.'

"Yewon... I miss you so much. Are you happier now?"

I smile as I lean against her headstone as a butterfly approaches and flutters.

"Is this it...?"

Holding out my finger, the butterfly lays on top before flying away. I smiled and watch it, taking out my alcohol as I drink it.

"My Lord, don't drink too much."

I watch and see Yewon standing in front of me as she takes away the alcohol bottle.

"Yewon..." I hope out my hand to touch her face as she smile.

"My Lord... Please, protect your remaining children. As long as she is alive... They will suffer the same fate as me."

I froze, "Yewon... who hurt you... you were so healthy..."

She mouthed the name before she left.

"Sire!"

I woke up as Eunuch Yu called me.

"Sire, what's wrong?"

I smashed the alcohol bottle as he kneeled.

"Eunuch Yu."

"Yes, Sire."

"Arrest Lee Jieun's servants and run an investigation in her pavilion. Those who have come in contact with her for the past 15 years. Arrest them all."

"Yes, My Lord!"

I walked quickly to my palanquin as we leave for the palace.


[Jieun's pov]

I stayed in my cold pavilion. I coughed as I tried to relief myself from the pain.

"As long as Yoonhi is made Emperor... he will help me... my son! I depend on you... as long as he is Emperor...."

I looked up as no one was around, then I heard steps moving around my pavilion as the Investigation's bureau entered my pavilion.

"Lady Jieun, we have been ordered to search your pavilion."

"Who gave you the guts!"

The head inspector ignored me, "Search!"

I slammed the table and blocked them as a figure entered.

"How dare you!"


[Somi's pov]

I was in my pavilion as the King's Chancellor came and met me with the King's seal.

"What is going on, Lord?"

"My Lady, the Emperor ordered that you lead the investigation of Lady Jieun's pavilion."

"All of a sudden?"

"The Emperor said the Empress Ju came into his dream and suspected something about Lady Jieun's pavilion had to do with the her death."

Lady Park turns, "The King must've been a mistake-"

I clenched my fist, "It must be a sign from sister Yewon. Are the investigators ready?"

"Yes, My Lady. They are waiting outside."

I exit my pavilion as numerous Female Investigators bowed along with the Royal Guards. I walked first as they followed me to Jieun's pavilion.

"Go."

The guards first surround the pavilion. The investigators were about to move when I hold up my hand.

"Lady Im."

Lady Im bows, "zConsort Jeon."

I smile, "Lead these servants away. Cooperate with the investigators and I will release all of you out of the palace."

Lady Im nods as the assistant head inspector lead the servants away.

"Head Inspector."

"Yes, My Lady."

I nod, "Go in."

They entered the pavilion as a commotion was heard. I entered the pavilion as Jieun smirked.

"You! How dare you enter my pavilion. Do you remember how your princess was killed?"

I smiled at the thought of my unborn daughter who perished in her hands, "Greetings to the Royal Consort."

"You still remember I'm the Royal Consort. How dare you order people to seize my pavilion."

I took the Emperor's seal and held it up, "The King- no the Emperor ordered this!"

"No! I have Yoonhi! I have him! He will help me! The Emperor won't do this to me, I am Yoonhi's mother. Seungwan tried to kill Yewon too! Even if I die, I will still be a Royal Consort!"

I smirked, "Do you know what Seungwan has that you don't?"

"We're all the same."

I shook my head, "No. She repents and asked for forgiveness while all you had in mind was the crown. Tell me, will Yoonhi ever acknowledge you? Knowing all the things you did? You tried to overthrow Yewon to be Queen. Do you know why it didn't work?"

She kept mum and remained silent as two investigators held her down.

"Yewon loves the Emperor. Never once has she ever forgotten the Emperor. While you," I smirked and held onto the ring Jiyong gave me, "You forgot those who truly love you. Lord Jiyong waited for you all his life."

"It's all her, Kim Yewon! She took advantage of Jiyong!"

I laughed, "The one who destroyed Lord Jiyong is you... He even got on his knees before his death to beg for forgiveness from the Queen. He said it's because of him sister Yewon and the Emperor was like this. Finally, he gave up on you. You know, he waited on you for so long and even begged Yewon too grant the both of you marriage."

She kept mum and cried, "Jiyong...."

"Lee Jieun, you know that he was willing to wait for you. He gave his all to you but you prioritised the crown over him. He knew he could not give you too much and so he chose to protect you. You have disappointed him. Sister Yewon even wanted to host the wedding personally. Sadly, it couldn't be accomplished because of you."

She kept mum and I straightened up.

I turned to the other investigators, "Search the pavilion."

They bowed, "Yes My lady."

I watched as they flipped through the pavilion as Lady Park stood behind me. The investigators moved the door panel as they flipped through the bookshelf and unveiled a secret room behind it. It revealed an altar with dolls and Emperor Ju's birthday.

"Royal Consort Jieun of the Lee Clan, cursed the former Empress to death, guilty. Attempt to harm the Royal Bloodline, guilty. Attempt to impurify the Royal bloodline, guilty. Wanting to overthrow Emperor Ju, guilty. With all these crimes, she is to be detained within her Royal pavilion. No one is to serve her until the Emperor sends out his decreed."

I lead the army of inspectors out and walked out of the pavilion as the Chancellor bowed.

"Chancellor. You have seen what happened."

"Yes, My Lady."

I turned to them all, "If anyone dares to side the Consort now, you will be dealt with by the Emperor severely."

"Yes My Lady."

"All the guards are not to leave this pavilion unattended until the Emperor gives his decreed. Food and water will be given everyday. She will not starve herself until she has permission to die."

They all bow, "Yes My Lady."

I then walked out of the pavilion gates as the doors finally close.


[Jennie's pov]

I walked out of my pavilion to find sister Somi after hearing the news.

"Sister!"

She turns as I walked over with my retinues and bow as hers return the bow.

"Have you heard?"

I nod, "All of the consorts heard of the Emperor's decreed."

"The Emperor saw Empress Ju in his dream and she gave him a name. We searched the pavilion and found an altar where she wrote the date and time of the Empress' birth with two dolls attempting to curse the Empress and Prince Yeon."

"That witch..."

She smiles and looks up, "At least now... Her Majesty can now be in peace."

I nod and look at the butterflies that flew out of the Butterfly Pavilion, "Prehaps she knows... Sister, do you know who will be the next Empress?"

"His Majesty has no intention of having another Empress. He intends to make someone the de facto Empress instead. The position of Empress is to be kept empty until the next regining Emperor."

"Why... they love each other so much but because of time and sabotaging, it caused them to be torn apart. She loved the Emperor so much, no one other than her will be worthy as Empress."

Somi turns, "Jennie... no matter who becomes the next de facto Empress, she should learn to uphold the inner court and be a great leader just like sister Yewon. Just like how sister Yewon remembered her initial feelings to the Emperor. She never forgot her feelings to the Emperor, protected their children in ways she could..."

I smile, "Empress Ju... she is the Grand Princess of Qing and daughter of the Emperor. She grew up with so much love, yet I heard that she begged for marriage with the Emperor Yoongi."

Sister Somi chuckles, "She loves the Emperor so much, they met as children and she fell in love. She said that she would not marry anyone else other than the Emperor..."

"Sister Somi... what will be the ending of Consort Jieun?"


[Jieun's pov]

Somi's words lingered in my head as I chuckled and laugh.

"Brother Jiyong... Somi is right. In this life, the person I've let down the most is you."

I touched the ring that I wore since I was 15, when Jiyong proposed to me. That happened 20 years ago. When he left for the Qing with the then Queen, he gave it to me as a token of love and promised to come back. He did, he held onto his promise.

"Brother Jiyong. You promised to love me forever. Why were you so foolish? Why did you wait for me? Why didn't you love someone else?"

Tears fell down as the ring was stained with my tears.

"Brother Jiyong... I'm sorry. I'm sorry."

I sobbed and sobbed as I walked over to the statue of Buddha and kneeled before it.

"Oh, Buddha. In this life... I, Lee Jieun am a sinner. Please, punish me! I ask for my sins to be recalled. Punish me so his soul may rest. Please... have mercy on his soul! Have mercy on us! Please have mercy! Oh I accept punishment. May Buddha have mercy! Please..."

My prayer beads rested in my hands as I sobbed before Buddha.

"Oh Buddha, have mercy on Yoonhi. Please, I take responsibility for my sins. Oh Heavens have mercy on my soul. Oh Heavens! I accept punishment and death. I accept punishment in afterlife. Oh Heavens! Don't punish my son! I am at fault. Have mercy. Please have mercy. I pray that the Emperor may reign for a long time."

I closed my eyes as I recalled all the memories as Yewon appeared.

"Jieun."

"Queen Yewon."

She smiled as she took out a hairpin and inserted it into my hair, "Serve His Majesty well."

I nod as I touched the hairpin while she hands me some cookies.

Ever since that day, I came over all the time to speak with her and look at the butterflies. We often chatted together and laughed. However, that all changed because of my jealousy. I was the Concubine because of my beauty and not because I loved the then, King Yoongi and current Emperor.

"Empress Ju... may you have mercy on me. Have mercy."

"Jieun?"

I heard her voice, "Empress...."

I saw her shadow as she nods, in her robe as she looked at me.

"Why did you have to kill me?"

"I- I wanted the crown... I wanted power and money."

"Over the person who loved you for real? You know, Jiyong wanted to gift you your dress for the wedding."

I was stunned.

"Empress..."

She smiled, "It's in the box where you kept all your old life behind. He even got jewelry for you."

I held out my hand, "Empress... Forgive me. I will come before you soon and ask for forgiveness."

"Jieun... I don't hold hatred in my heart anymore."

I sobbed as I opened my eyes and looked at the statue of Buddha as I bowed before it. I recalled what Empress Ju said and went to find my box. I opened it to find a red hanbok and also some gold headpieces inside.

"Brother Jiyong..."

I also saw a lot of bracelets inside along with some rings.

"Brother Jiyong.... I was wrong! I was wrong."

Then the door opened as a servant sent food in.

"Noble Consort Jieun. Your meal is served."

I nod as I touched the hanbok, tracing the design. I then placed the hanbok down and came before my food as the servant left.