Chapter 18

Legend of the Butterfly Pavilion

[Yewon's pov]

I walked out of my pavilion as Lady Kim and Yeebin bowed to me.

"Your Highness."

"I wish to go for a walk."

They nodded as I walked first and they led a train of servants behind them. I walked around as palace officials and servants stopped in their tracks to bow to me. Just then I heard someone practicing a song and dance.

"Who is that?"

Lady Kim took a look at the lady and her servants.

"Your Highness, she is the new concubine that the King just received from Duke Kim."

I frowned, "Consort Son just passed on two days ago, the mourning period is not over. How could she be singing?"

"Your Highess?"

I approached the lady who was singing, her servants bowed to me.

The woman saw me, "Who is this? Care to join me to celebrate?"

Yeebin looked at her, "How dare you speak rudely to the Queen?"

She immediately bowed, "Your Highness, I did not know you were the Queen. Forgive me."

"You are?"

"Royal Consort rank 7th, Jennie of the Jindo Kim Clan."

I looked at her, "Royal Consort Kim, the mourning period has not passed for Royal Consort Son 1st Rank why are you celebrating?"

"Your Highness, she doesn't deserved to be mourned. After all she did."

"No, she does. She is the mother of Crown Prince Ilmin despite being demoted before her death, she is posthumously restored as Great Royal Noble Consort Huijin, Lady Seungwan of the Seven Royal Concubines of Son Clan. For the face of the Crown Prince, should you not honour her?"

"Your Highness, she tried to harm Crown Prince Jun."

I nod, "Indeed the inner court is so scary. Who knows one day you would follow her path to gain prestige for the Jindo Kim clan."

She did not respond but just kneeled in front of me with her servants.

"Royal Consort 1st rank, as a punishment for your actions. You are to kneel before the Great Consort Huijin's shrine for 1 day."

Jennie nods and bows whilst kneeling, "Yes, Your Highness."

I turned as my ladies-in-waiting made a path for me to move.


[Jennie's pov]

I was holding in my anger, wearing the hanbok as I watched the Queen left in her dragon hanbok. My ladies-in-waiting scrambled to help me stand up as the Queen finally left.

"All of you go away!"

The ladies-in-waiting all went away except for my personal lady-in-waiting, Lady Seonu.

"My Lady..."

"Great Consort Huijin? Why should I-"

Lady Seonu sighed, "Indeed the Queen is doing this to warn against anyone who dares to be rude and to honour the King's orders. My Lady, just treat it as an order from the King. If we comply, the King will promote you soon, at least the Queen just asked you to kneel in front of the shrine for a day, it shows that she did hold it against you."

I laughed, "Have you seen the way the King looks at the Queen... as if true love."

"My Lady, indeed the Queen's position cannot be shaken as she is from the Kim's clan and is of a higher rank than you but since we are both Kims why not do well. If we get close to the Queen, the Jindo Kim clan will gain prestige and you will stand out with the King."

"Just follow me back, I have to change before I go to the shrine."

I walked back with Lady Seonu. We both changed to mourning clothes and then walked over to the shrine. Prehaps I should try and lay low in the harem. It is not beneficial for me to keep acting spoiled and the Queen's Clan is connected to the Qing Court which will be beneficial to the Jindo Kim Clan to be in touch with the Qing Kimgiya clan. I took off my shoes at the entrance of the shrine and handed my coat to Lady Seonu. I kneeled on the cushion and stared at her potrait.

"Were you a result of political influence in the court? What made you love the King so much?"

I thought to myself as I saw her, looking at the shrine, her nameplate was in the middle with some offerings and candles. I started praying for her somehow, for her soul to rest in peace and for her to forgive my rude behaviour


[Somi's pov]

I walked back from the Inspector's office with Lady Park and Aeri leading the train of servants, after settling with Lady Seungwan's funeral affairs. Despite her evil deeds, she was honoured and will be address as as Great Royal Noble Consort Huijin of the Son clan.(惠妗太皇贵妃,孫氏)Hui stands for Kindness, Jin is a term used to address wife these two put together means a Kind Wife as the mother of the Crown Prince and the wife of the reigning King. His Majesty gave her face for the sake of Crown Prince Ilmin.

"Lady Park."

Lady Park bowed, "Yes, My Lady?"

I turned to the side, "The Queen has ordered the closure of Great Royal Noble Consort Huijin's pavilion, has the Inspector's office done that?"

"Your Ladyship, the Inspectors office has sent people to do that and the Queen is overlooking the process right now."

I lead them to the Pavilion of Great Royal Noble Consort Huijin where I saw sister Yewon and another consort on the way there, the recent addition, Royal Consort 7th Rank of the Jindo Kim Clan. I approached her and bowed with my ladies-in-waiting. I bowed to the Queen while Consort Kim bowed to me with our servants. The Queen's servant bowed.

"Alright, enough with the etiquette. Let's go and overlook the inspection."

We both nod at the Queen's words as our servants formed a line. Lady Kim, Lady Park and Lady Seonu stood first behind us in a triangular formation, Lady Kim is always in the center just like the Queen, walking slightly in front of Lady Park and Lady Seonu. The other servants arranged themselves and formed a long line. We arrived at the pavilion and the inspector's were moving, as usual there were some servants who were gossiping.

A servant went, "Why should we be cleaning here? Great Royal Noble Consort Huijin doesn't deserve this treatment at all."

Another nodded, "Right? If doing such bad deeds can allow me to be crowned as a Great Royal Noble Consort after my death, imagine how easy it would be to enter the inner harem and take the Queen's position."

"But then again, don't you think the Queen is too easy? Her position will surely be taken away by me easily."

The latter nods, "Right? With her strength anyone can be Queen."

I looked at sister Yewon who just stopped Yeebin and kept mum while watching.

The two servants chuckle, "Keep this up and she will be deposed again."

"Right?"

"Her Highness did not even deserve to come back. I think Crown Prince Jun isn't even the King's but just another wild man's. The Queen probably coaxed the King into writing it."


[Yewon's pov]

I smirked as I listened to the two servants gossiping.

"How dare you slander the Queen?"

The two servants immediately kneeled down as I stepped forward with Lady Kim by my side and Yeebin supporting me. Eunbi and Jennie stood behind as I retreated the hand Yeebin was supporting and placed it under my dangui.

The two servants shook, "For-forgive u-us, Y-Your High-Highness."

I smirked, "Who's easy and who coaxed the King into elevating Crown Prince Jun. And who will take my position?"

"Your Highness! We didn't mean it. We were just joking."

"Joking?"

I smiled as I glanced at them when Lady Jang, head of inspectors' office approached with two other inspectors and bowed, "Your Highness. What caused you such rage?"

Yeebin stepped forward, "Your two servants decided that they can become the next Queen of Joseon by slandering the cursing the Queen."

"Yeebin, they said it's just a joke."

"Your Highness, forgive me for not watching over them. I will accept punishement."

I smiled, "Then punish them to flogging. Let the whole palace see them be flogged to death."

The inspectors dragged them away as Lady Jang bows before moving to carry on the punishment.

"Sister."

I smiled and turn to Somi and Jennie.

Jennie looks at me, "Your Highness. Forgive me for my choice of words but... people often say that you are a weak Queen. I don't see it. I think you are very strong."

"Because I have Yeon..." I sighed, "Speaking about Yeon, I have to decide with the King about Crown Prince Ilmin."