Chapter 25: Death of the Butterfly

Legend of the Butterfly Pavilion

[Yewon's pov]

I coughed harshly as I kneel in front of my altar holding onto my prayer beads.

"Your Highness," Lady Kim came in, "Consort Lee... she finally got punished."

My eyes fluttered as I muttered a silent prayer.

"Your Highness! Eunuch Yu is here."

Lady Kim stood up and went to open the pavilion door.

"Your Highness... The King ordered to return your seal."

I glanced at Lady Kim as she stepped out. I could hear their conversations.

"Her Highness, does not wish to be disturbed now."

"But this is His Majesty's order."

"Eunuch Yu, please just take it back. Her Highness feels uncomfortable to receive her seal after taking it away for years."

"But..."

Lady Kim sighed, "Please Eunuch Yu."


[Yerin's pov]

Eunhee supported me as we walked to Yewon's pavilion.

"Please Eunuch Yu."

I saw Lady Kim and Yeebin on one side as Eunuch Yu led another eunuch holding the Queen's seal. Eunhee and I looked at each other as I approached them.

"What's going on?"

Lady Kim and Yeebin greeted me as Eunuch Yu bows. I lifted my hand as Eunhee stands behind me.

"Eunuch Yu?"

He nods, "His Majesty wants me to return the Queen's seal to the Queen. However, the Queen would not accept it."

I glanced at Yewon's pavilion and turns back to Eunuch Yu.

"Lady Yerin... could you prehaps?"

"Eunuch Yu... the Queen does not care for these. She did what she had to do, as Queen of Joseon."

Eunuch Yu nods and bows, I bend my knees slightly with Eunhee following me. I watched the backview of Eunuch Yu go and sigh before turning to enter Yewon's pavilion.

"Yewon."

She smiles with her pale face as she coughs slightly.

"Are you alright?"

She nods, "Sister Yerin."

I smile and pat her head as she lays on my lap like we were kids, "Why don't you want the Queen's seal back?"

"Sister Yerin, you know me. All I ever wanted in this life... I just wanted to be happy to be in the King's embrace. I never asked for too much. In this life or the next, I want to love only him... even if the Love is one-sided. I am only destined to be with him. The seal does not mean anything, it belongs to Joseon. It is from the King but not from him. Only the butterfly pendant, that's all I want."

"Yewon... you know-"

"I know, sister. I know everything. He loves me, but... he didn't say he will love only me."

Lady Kim then slide open the door, "Your Highness... the Consorts are here to greet you."

Yewon shakes her head.

"I'll go see them."

"Sister..."

I pat her back as she lets out a sharp cough.


[Somi's pov]

I stood beside Jennie as we both waited to greet the Queen, leading the other consorts from the palace behind us. It's been 4 years since we saw her, everyone is excited as our lovely Queen's doors finally opened. When she left for the temple visit, the King ordered us to see her. Ever since the birth of Yoonhi, her seal was taken away.

"It's been a while since we saw the Queen, sister Somi."

I nod at another consort's words. The door slide open and we ly to see Lady Yerin come out.

"Does Her Highness refuse to see us?"

Lady Yerin steps down and bend her knees as we exchange greetings.

"The Queen asked both of you to return. There is no need to greet her. About Lee Jieun, she did all she had to now she wishes to rest."

Another consort stepped forward, "But... the Queen..."

All of us heard a sharp cough and turned to the pavilion.

"Lady Yerin... is the Queen alright?"

She did not answer, "Consort Somi. You are now in charge of the consorts. Do what you have to do."

I nod as Jennie and I looked at each other before turning to the other consorts.

"Consorts, listen up. We return to our palaces and no one is to visit the Queen unless she calls upon us. Protect our heirs just like how the Queen protected us."

"Yes, Consort Jeon!"

I walked forward with Jennie following as we dismissed the other consorts.


[Yewon's pov]

The doors to the Butterfly Pavilion finally opened. Lady Kim supported me on one hand as I stepped out.

"Your Highness, I got the palanquin prepared."

I shook my head, "Let's walk."

She nods as we walk towards the top of the palace grounds, overseeing the entire palace. I smiled as memories flood back to me.

"You're here."

I turned to see Yoongi.

"My Lord." I bowed with my court ladies.

He smiled and held out his hand, I lifted my right hand from under my dangui and held his hand.

"Let's go!"

We walked first and the servants rearranged themselves. I smiled as he held my hand tightly. He lead to my garden where there was a feast. He brought me to sit down and he sat next to me. We ate as the Royal Musicians played music in the middle of the garden.

"Thank you for this, My Lord!"

He nod and pat my hand.

 

He smiled and held my hand, "I thought I'd lose you again."

"I promised you to protect Yeon."

"I'd chose you over anything.." He kissed my hands.

I looked over the palace grounds. I could see our shadows, traces of where we used to place. I remember everything. The purple ribbon in the tree, our trips around Joseon.

"Let's go."

Lady Kim escorted me as we walked back to my palace. Servants bow to me on my way there.

"Your Highness."

I kept mum as Lady Kim called me. I know His Majesty was behind me, watching as I walked back. I chose silence, because I was determined to forget the King, only remember Yoongi. I returned to the pavilion and went to the garden, adding fertilisers to my plum blossom tree that the King gifted me years ago. It died with the stem remaining but it goes everywhere with me.


[Yoongi's pov]

I watched Yewon's backview as she was supported by Lady Kim back to her palace. I went to my study as I stared into blank space while the seal was in front of me.

"She won't receive her Queen's seal?"

I looked up to see Royal Grandmother and got up but Royal Grandmother stopped me.

"Royal Grandmother... You visited Yewon. What did you speak about?"

"This Lee Jieun, from the time she harmed Seungwan I knew she was bad blood, yet now she wants to be Queen. How foolish?"

"I know I am useless, but Your Majesty. I could not hold onto my crown. I was never a good Queen, with all the mud poured onto me and the Queen's seal taken away. I really don't know how to protect my son other than seeking you. I just wonder if Lee Jieun would take a risk and sink into Hell even if His Majesty is in danger. Please help protect the final connection between the Yeoheung Min Clan and the Kimgiya Clan."

I heard the entire story and sighed as I listened to Royal Grandmother.

"Now, that the dead have been comforted and the good have been repaid, Yewon's efforts have not gone to waste. Those who have died in the hands of Lee Jieun have rest well."

I kept mum as Royal Grandmother's words processed in my mind.

"To think of it, when I sent the prayer flags to the Temple. I respected Yewon so greatly in my heart. I've been in the palace and seen the inner and outer court's numerous sabotages for favour. But when I see Yewon, favour or position of Queen, she never put any of these in her eyes. The only thing she prioritizes is relationships. All she asks for is that the good and bad get their reward, that the living and the dead have no regrets. Sometimes, I even think... I've struggled in this palace for so many years, unlike Yewon who kept her initial heart. Which one of us is truly free?"

I lowered my head as I heard those words.


Night time...

[Yerin's pov]

I was outside the Queen's pavilion talking to brother Namjoon and brother Jungkook. Eunha finally recovered and came over with Eunji for her duty. We discussed on ways to bring the Queen back to Qing for treatment.

"Your Highness! Your Highness!"

We heard screams and rushed into the pavilion to see Yewon unconsious with a pool of blood around her legs.

"Yewon!"

Brother Namjoon shook her as Eunhee and Eunji rushed off to find the physician. They came and checked on the Queen.

"The Queen- uterine hemorrhage!"

"It's no use... the Queen-"

I snapped, "Who said so? Who said that? Get the best herbs. If you can't save Yewon, I will kill you."

They rushed off but Yewon raised her hand, "Sister... get them to leave. I want to speak with you..."

The physicians left with the nurses. Leaving brother Namjoon, Jungkook, Lady Kim and Yeebin. She lifted her hand and I took it.

"Sister... Y-you know... m-my p-princess..."

I nod as tears drop.

"S-sister... d-don't c-cry... you know me. I'm stubborn. I'm someone who won't stop loving. That's me. In this life, in my next life, I-I c-can... a-and o-only love him."

"No, Yewon. You will live. We'll find treatment in the Qing. The Empress Dowager is waiting for you."

She smiles, "I remember when we were young, sister... We played so much in the palace. Then we came to Joseon once, that's where I met Yoongi. He said his name was Yeon, on our second and final meet, he gifted me a butterfly pendant. All those moments I remember. When I entered the palace... when I left. When Ilmin was born. When Seungwan made me promise to take care of her prince."

My tears flood as I see Yewon smile as she raised another hand.

"B-brother N-namjoon."

"Yewon... don't give up! We will find a way!"

She shakes her head.

"Brother Namjoon... I have one request," She chuckles, "My children. My Yeon and my princess... Nothing must happen to them. Don't let them stay in the palace please... it's too lonely and scary here. I don't want them to suffer."

Brother Namjoon nods.

"Brother Jungkook... Thank you... For protecting me and my child. Please... protect them..."

I watched with tears as Yewon got up weakly and removed her hair stick as her hair dropped.

"Your Highness!"

She smiled as Lady Kim and Yeebin cried. Taking a dagger, she opened it and took a portion of her hair and cut it off, before placing it in an envelope with brother Namjoon's name on the cover.

"Sister Yerin..." She hands the envelope to me, "This is my final letter to the King... Please..."

I shake my head as I gripped onto the envelope.

"Your Highness!"

Yewon smiles as she holds Lady Kim and Yeebin's hand.

"You both have suffered all these time while we were in Joseon and in the Great Qing. You've served me for the past decades. Ever since I was young... both of you, please... don't leave with me. Stay and protect my children."

Lady Kim shakes her head, "No... Your Highness! In this life, I will only serve you! Your Highness.."

Yewon smiles, "Both of you... served me all these while, you were always either standing or kneeling. I cannot thank you enough for your service. I am guilty... I should give you a better life or send you off for marriage."

"Your Highness! Please..."

Yewon smiles and come into my arms again, hugging me.

"Your Majesty..."

"Sister Yerin... after I'm gone. Who would take care of Yoongi? Will anyone know what he likes? Will he be alone again?"

She raised her hand as if she saw a shadow.

"My Lord... you're here!"

We turned to see nothing, it was all her thinking.

"My Lord- I love you..."

With that her arms drop and she closed her eyes.

"Yewon- Yewon! No!"

"Your Highness! Your Highness!"

The servants outside sobbed. I placed Yewon down properly as I removed the butterfly dress tassel she wore.

"Sister Yerin. If I'm gone. what would you do?"

"Nonsense! We will live a long life."

"I'm just saying!"

I joke, "I'll take your butterflies."

She chuckles and points to her dress tassel, "Sister! Give this to my daughter. She should remember the power of a butterfly."

I nod, "I promise you!"

I smile and feel the butterfly's cool purple jade against my hand, "Right... Yewon you told me to take it." I held it close as tears dropped.


[Somi's pov]

I heard cries outside the Queen's pavilion and came over, stepping close.

"What's going on-"

"Your Highness!"

I looked to see the physicians kneeling on the floor and sobbing.

"What's wrong- what happened to the Queen?"

A servant looked up, "T-the  Q-queen has passed on."

I collapsed on the floor with Lady Park supporting me as I kneeled.

"My Lady!"

The sliding doors opened as Lady Yerin stepped out while her servants got up to help her down. She held out her hand as I stood up while taking her hand.

"This is for you..."

I looked at the cover as tears dropped, "Her Highness..."

Lady Yerin nods, "The Queen orders that you be in charge of the Inner Harem now. She has one thing she wants you to take care of."

I lean in as Lady Yerin whispers.


[Yoongi's pov]

I was shocked to hear the news of the Yewon.

"Yewon... why didn't you tell me? You were fine... why did you leave me alone..."

Eunuch Yu looked at the me, "Sire, the letters she sent you."

I looked at the pile of letters with Namjoon's name on the cover. I frantically opened them and read them. I walked around the palace where my memories with Yewon flood back. I cried on the palace watchtower where we used to play chess and have fun. I walked down as Eunuch Yu bowed.

"Tell the Imperial Household department that the Empress' funeral is to be demoted into the one of a Noble Consort."