Chapter 23: Wings, fly again

Legend of the Butterfly Pavilion

[Yerin's pov]

I walked out of my palace, followed by Eunha, Eunhee and Eunji. I walked towards the pavilion of the Queen Mother. The head retinue, Lady Sobong arrived and bow as I smile.

"Lady Sobong, please request an audience with the Queen Mother for me."

I watch as Lady Sobong retreats into the Queen Mother's pavilion while I turn to look at the flowers. I decided to change back into the outer wear I wore in Qing Dynasty. I turned and smiled as I looked at my flower bowl shoes that were so familiar to me, holding onto my handkerchief as my prayer beads hung on my four fingers in the same hand. I looked around the pavilion filled with peonies in all colours.

"Peonies, a flower only the legitimate wife can use."

Eunha, my attendant was supporting my arm as she listened to me.

"Lady Yerin, Her Majesty is waiting inside."

I nod as Eunha released her grip and stood next to Lady Sobong. I adjust my sleeves before I walked in with my shoes and into the main hall where wooden floors knocked against my shoes.

"Greetings to the Queen Mother." I used my flower bowl shoes to lock my right foot in place behind my left foot and lowered down on one knee.

"Rise."

I stood up and locked eyes with Queen Mother Wei on her high cushioned seat.

"Great-Grandmother."

She smiled and waved her hand as I stood up, "Yerin, you are Taehyung's wife and naturally also my family. So, what brings you here today?"

I smiled, "Queen Mother, I'm sure you know that Queen Yewon was framed a few days ago by Lady Jieun that she poisoned the Crown Prince Ilmin?"

Queen Mother sighs and then nods, "I know."

"The Queen has decided to leave the palace to the nearby temple so she can pray. On another note.... the Queen has another child," I looked at her, "This child has to be protected while she stays at the temple. Is it possible for Yeon to stay in under your care?"

"Yewon asked me for the same thing... is there another reason?"

"Queen Mother, you are the only person who can protect Prince Yeon and Prince Ilmin."

She turns to me, "Yerin... I'm sure you know everything that happens in the palace. I will protect Yeon for Yewon and Ilmin to fulfill Seungwan's last wish."

I nod, "Queen Mother, Yewon said if she dies... I have to bring her children back to the Great Qing. Including Ilmin."

"Did she say why?"

I smiled, "She said in this life... if only she could meet the King outside the palace. She would. In this life, all she ever wanted was a guy who would love her and only her. All she wanted was the King to be hers. However, she knew that it would be impossible for that to happen because the King belongs to everyone, he is not just hers. He belongs to Joseon and the people and the Min Clan. If only she didn't love the King so much, if only she wasn't as selfish for his love."

"Yewon is stubborn... her final wish is for her children to be happy. She knows being Queen is unhappy..."

Lady Sobong enters the pavilion, "Your Majesty, the King is here."

I smiled and stood up before I bend my knees, "I take my leave."

The Queen Mother nods as I exited the pavilion. Outside I met the King as Eunha helped me down. I bend my knees as Eunha, Eunhee and Eunji lower on one knee while the King walked past. I stood up and left as I held out my hand with Eunha supporting my arm.

"Madame, are you alright?"

"Of all men to fall in love with, she chose the one who would not be hers. I guess that kind of love... is something I will never understand."

"Madam..."

I stopped for a while as Eunha glanced at me, "Is everything prepared?"

"Yes Madame, the carriage has set off like you said."

I nod, "Let us hurry then."


[Yewon's pov]

I wore my normal hanbok with a outer coat draped over me to cover my head. I was about to enter the carriage. 

"Mother! Mother!"

I turned and saw Yeon running over.

"Yeon! My prince!"

He ran into my arms just like the King once did and I smiled as I hugged him tightly.

"Mother! Don't leave me please..."

I smiled and carrassed his cheeks, "I am not leaving you. I will always be with you, Yeon."

Yeon shakes his head and hugs me even tighter.

"Yeon, listen to me," I turn my head slightly and whisper, "If anything happens to me... if anything does happen. Follow aunt Yerin, don't stay here anymore."

I stood up as I was led into the palaqquin, hearing Yeon's bawls as it got softer.


[Yerin's pov]

I was walking towards the entrance while holding onto my hat that had a sheer material draped over it as Eunha followed me, carrying a sword while I held onto my flute.

"Lady Yerin!"

Turning to the familiar voice, I see Consort Jennie. She comes over and we exchange bows.

"Are you all leaving?"

I nod.

"Beware... Lady Jieun has men following."

I smirked, "Brother Jungkook is coming soon."

Lady Jennie nods, "I got it. While you're gone. I'll help protect Yeon and Ilmin."

I smiled, "Protect the heirs of the Kimgiya Clan. That's your job."

Lady Jennie nods as I turn, putting my hat off and hiding my flute as Eunha followed me.


[Yewon's pov]

The carriage entered a forest as the winds blew. I felt something was not right.

"What's going on?"

"Your Majesty... this is not it-"

I opened the window to the carriage as an arrow was shot and stuck on the carriage wooden frame. I moved back in shock as the carriage shook. I held on as I felt blood flow. The palaqquin carriers around were trying to ambush us along with the other three guards that followed.

"Lady Yewon! Stay inside!"

Eunji and Eunhee were trying to hold them off as they tried to attack. Just then, Eunha appeared and blocked a sword that came my way. However, she got cut in the process. Just then I heard the flute as Eunji, Eunha and Eunhee were badly injured. A man in cape appeared and cleared all the men leaving one who was held onto by Eunhee and Eunji.

"What...?"

I stepped outside before looking out as a woman dressed in full white appeared with her face covered in the sheer cloth that draped over her hat. I smiled as I saw the familiar dress tassel.

"Sister Yerin?"

She smiled and held her hand out to reveal her face as we both chuckle.

"And you are...?"

He took off his cape as I gasped.

"Brother Jungkook?"

I smiled as he ruffled my hair like we used to do as kids.

"I missed you, Yewon!"

I held onto my stomach as I felt pain.

"Sister Yerin!"

She came over and supported me while I collapsed.


[Yerin's pov]

I caught Yewon as she almost touched the ground, then I felt something wet and held out my fingers.

"No good! Quick!"

Brother Jungkook immediately carried Yewon as we arrived at the temple where my men were stationed.

"Quick, get the physician!"

The servants scrambled as Eunji and Eunhee helped set up a mattress while Brother Jungkook lays Yewon down.

"Yewon!"

I held onto her hand and wiped her sweat with my sleeves as the midwives entered.

"Madam! The Queen has lost blood and gone into shock, she will have to go into labour!"

"It's only the eighth month!"

"No time to waste, please make a decision!"

I nod, "Help her then! At all times, protect the Queen!"

"Yes!"

The intense labour carried on. I was so anxious as I held onto her hand tightly. The midwives tried their best to compress on her stomach as Yewon slowly gained consious and pushed. A loud yet delicate cry came. I smiled as I wiped Yewon's sweat.

"S-sister... Y-Yerin."

I smiled as I glanced at the baby.

"Yewon, it's a Princess. You gave Joseon a Crown Princess."

Her smile faded, "My son is already the Crown Prince, my daughter does not need to be a Crown Princess."

I turned to look at the child as the midwives bundled up the newborn girl and placed her next to Yewon.


[Yewon's pov]

I glanced at my baby and nod as Lady Kim and Yeebin entered the room. They came over in another path, away from the palace.

"Your Highness!"

Lady Kim checked on me with Yeebin after they greeted Sister.

"The Queen is alright..."

Yeebin glanced at the princess and cooed as she smiled.

"Your Highness... if anything...."

I smiled as I held onto Hei's hand, "I'm fine now... go down. I'll rest with the Princess."

"Yes, Your Highness."

I watched as Sister Yerin led both Hei and Yeebin out the room, before I turned to my princess and held onto her small hands.

"Princess... My baby, I'm sorry I won't be able to stay long. This life in the palace... I don't want it for you or your brother. You deserve to marry someone you love and can spend a lifetime with. Don't be like me... marrying a King who is shared by many, living in the childhood dreams."

She seemed to hear me and sqeauled as I closed my eyes for a long nap.


[Yerin's pov]

I sighed as I entered my room with Jung Ho and Eunhee.

"Is Eunha alright?"

Eunhee nods, "Prince Jungkook is currently with her as the physicians fix up her wounds."

I smiled and nod.

"Madam, the midwives... I have transported them out of the capital. They all sworn to keep quiet and we have men watching over them."

I nod, "Let them stay out of the capital for the time being, at least until we're out of the Qing with Yeon and the princess."

Jung Ho bows, "Yes Madam."

I glanced at Eunhee, "Tell Eunha she can rest for these days and let Eunji attend to her."

Eunhee bends her knees, "Yes Madam."

"Madam, the assasins have been brought."

I nod as my men dragged a guy in. I took my water and spalshed his face.

"Say it. Who called you."

The man looked at me.

"If you say it, I can grant you and your family a way out of Joseon."

He nods, "L-lady J-Jieun of the L-Lee C-Clan."

I smirked as he threw out a paper, opening it I smiled. I threw him some silvers.

"Go then. But remember do not return to the capital."