Chapter 24: The Butterfly's broken wings

Legend of the Butterfly Pavilion

[Taemin's pov]

I walked around the palace with Taebi beside me. Dressed in my favourite Qing Outfit. We entered Lady Jieun's pavilion secretly and then found a secret passage. I took out a paper and then began to draw the code for the secret passage while Taebi guard from the top. I entered the secret passage and drew what I saw inside, an altar with a doll and some lighted incense with some papers of words on top. I heard footsteps and then jumped out from a secret entrance in the roof.

"Taebi, let's go and find the Queen Mother!"

We flew over the walls and then walked towards the Queen Mother's pavilion with our servants Jung An and Kayo. They waited for us near the pavilions. While walking over, we saw Lady Jieun's two-year-old son, Yoonhi in the garden with Lady Jieun. We walked to the Queen Mother's pavilion.

"Your Highnesses." Lady Sobong greeted us and we bowed back with our servants.

"Lady Sobong, can I request an audience with the Queen Mother?"

Lady Sobong went in and came out, she leads us in. I walked in with my shoe on with Taebi following. Our servants stood outside.

"Greetings to the Queen Mother." I kneeled with Taebi and placed in front of my hands in front of us, touching the back of my hand with my forehead.

"Rise."

I stood up with Taebi and smiled.

"What is it today?"

We took out our evidence, a paper and a part of the dress.

"What is this?"

"An evidence for Queen Mother to see."

"What?"

I came forward and handed her the book. Lady Sobong took it. opened the cover and placed them on the table before the Queen Mother. The Queen Mother flipped it repeatedly before slamming it back.

"Is this true?"

I nod as she glanced at me.

"We entered her pavilion secretly and saw these."

"An altar to curse the Queen?"

Taebi looks on, "I don't know."

The Queen Mother smirked and nods.

"Go down then."

I nod and then leave the pavilion with Taebi and our servants following.


[Somi's pov]

I walked around the palace after paying a visit to the shrine as I bump into Grand Princess Jisoo.

"Your Highness."

She smiled as she greets me.

"I'm surprised by how Lady Yerin saved the Queen, the courage she had."

"If I was there, I would do anything to save the Queen from Lady Jieun. This kind of person is not worthy to be Queen."

Grand Princess Jisoo turned as we continued walking together.

"What do you mean?"

"A person who is rude to the Queen does not put anything but greed in her eyes. Even teaching her children the wrong things to follow. How would she be compatible as a good Queen?"

Grand Princess stops, "I know the first two... but the last?"

I smiled, "Well, won't it be better for you to find out yourself?"


[Jieun's pov]

I smiled as Yoonhi came out of the Royal Study.

"Sweetie, what did you learn today?"

"Mother, Royal Father asked us to learn a lot. He said that I have to learn well and make him proud. We are first generals then father and son."

I smiled and bent down, "Your father is right. but, you won't have to listen to him all the time. We are Mother and son. All in all, you should listen to me, your mother."

Yoonhi nods, "Yes Mother."

I chuckled and caressed his cheeks.

"Let us go."

Yoonhi nods and smiles.


[Jisoo's pov]

I walked with my retinue, Lady Han as she reported her findings to me.

"Really? The Consort said that?"

Lady Han nods, "I heard it myself."

I frowned, "So Consort Jeon and the others aren't lying."

"This kind of person. Even if the Butterfly Pavilion collapses, she is not worthy to become Queen."

"This won't do." I turned to Lady Han, "Let's go find a brother."

I immediately walked to my brother's study with Lady Han and my other retinues as I entered the side chamber and bowed.

"Jisoo."

I immediately rambled off what Lady Han reported.

"Did Consort Jieun really say that?"

I took a seat, "I dare not spout lies."

"If Consort Jieun really said that then she is incompetent. Telling a son of the Yeoheung Min Clan to not follow their father's words but their mother's? How corrupted will he be in future? How will he be a good king?"

I glanced at the brother who turns to his eunuch, Yu.

"Yu, send my decree. Consort Lee will no longer be in charge of the royal harem and Yoonhi will be in the care of Consort Jennie for now."

Yu nods before walking off. Just then, Brother Yoongi coughs.

"Are you alright?"

"I'm fine, just tired."

The physician came in and checked out on it as Mother came in.

"Jisoo.."

I held her hand and supported her, "Mother he'll be alright."


[Jennie's pov]

I was in my pavilion and overheard that the King was not feeling well. I entered the room where he stayed with Lady Seonu supporting me. I overlooked what happened. From the corner of my eye, I could see Jieun sneaking and overhearing the conversation between the Queen Mother and the King who was sick.

"Will the King not wake up?"

The physician bowed, "I am incapable."

Lady Sobong came forward and spoke, "Your Majesty, we have to choose an heir soon..."

"Yes, writing the name down and placing it in the white box behind the King's study..."

I heard it as I saw Jieun move, I hid by the side.

"It's time to make my Yoonhi the future King..."

I walked out immediately and sent a letter to where Yerin was using the dove. I watched as the dove flew away.


[Yerin's pov]

It's been a few days since the birth of the princess and Yewon's health has been deteriorating. Eunha was injured in the battle and she is tended to by Jungkook and Eunji.

"Madam?"

I glanced up to Eunhee holding a piece of rolled-up paper while she bends her knees. I opened the paper and read it as I stood up.

"Madam?"

"They say the king's health is deteriorating and Consort Jieun seems to be taking action."

I looked out as I saw it getting dark.

"Eunhee."

"Madam?"

"I'll go take a look at the Queen."

Eunhee got my cape and helped me put it on as we walked out towards Yewon's room.


[Yewon's pov]

I stood outside my room as I looked up the moonlight and smiled.

"My Lord, how have you been?"

"Your Highness?"

I held up my butterfly norige as it shone against the moonlight. The purple jade was cooling against my fingers.

"Your Highness?"

I turned as Lady Kim and Yeebin glanced at me. I smiled as I coughed.

"Your Highness-"

I smiled, "I'm fine,"

A harsh cough was let out as my handkerchief revealed some blood clots. I smiled.

"Your Highness! Someone-"

I griped onto Lady Kim's hand as she turned to me, "Get the ink and paper."

"Your Highness?"

I nod as I send an assuring smile to her.

"Yes, Your Highness."

I smiled and began writing some letters directed to everyone I loved in this life. I smiled as I finished the first stack.

"Yewon?"

Turning my head, I saw sister Yerin and her servant, Eunhee. I got up and walked down towards her.

"Yewon..."

I smiled, "Sister what brings you here?"

"Yewon."

"Sister Yerin, can we return to the palace tomorrow?"

She smiles and nods, "We can."

"Sister Yerin, remember if anything happens to me. Will you promise to care for my children including Ilmin?"

She looks at me and nods.

I smile, "Lady Kim, prepare my entourage. We return to the palace."

I entered my palanquin, leaving my beautiful girl behind in Brother Jungkook's care. She will enter the palace in another way.


[Yerin's pov]

"We follow Yewon back, tell the men to bring the princess into the palace secretly and watch over her."

Eunhee bends her knees, "Yes Madam."

I watch as Eunhee leave as the Moonlight shone brightly. I hug the princess tightly in my arms and return into my room, covering her. We managed to return to the palace secretly. I enter my secret room where Taemin and Taebi stay. I bring the princess in as Ilmin walk over while Sana and Soonyoung stand up to greet me.

"This is the princess, at all times. Her presence and identity are to be kept secret."

"Yes, Madam."

I smile as Eunhee takes the baby over to where Taemin and Taebi stay.

"Madam."

I nod, "The Queen doesn't have much time now, her only wish is for Yeon, the princess and Ilmin to return to Qing with us."

"Madam, I've sent word to Qing to prepare our return."

I nod, "Watch the kids. Tonight... there will be a huge movement."

I walked out of my pavilion as Eunhee and Jung Ho follow me. I walk to Yewon's pavilion.


[Yewon's pov]

I returned to the King's study and the first thing I did was to go next to the bedside as I smiled.

"Your Majesty..."

I smiled as I carassed his head.

"Your Majesty, it's been three years since we looked at each other. After Seungwan's death, we never saw each other again. I miss you,  my childhood sweetheart. I look at Yeon and he is the exact copy of you, My Lord. How have you been?"

I smile as I connect our hands together as I transferred my energy to hopefully wake him up. After a while, I stopped and smiled as his pulse got stronger.

"Your Highness."

I smiled as I looked at Eunuch Yu and bowed, "It's been a while."

"Your Highness. I hope all has been well."

"Eunuch Yu, please take care of the Emperor well. Don't let him get hurt."

"Yes, Your Highness."

I nod and leave the King's room before walking back into my pavilion to rest.

"Oraboni."

I smile as I see brother Namjoon.

"Your Highness... there has been reports about you and Royal Guard Jiyong... The King placed you under house arrest and retrieved your Stamp as Queen. You will no longer be in charge over the Royal Harem."

"I got it."

"Brother Namjoon... Can you help me send this to the King?"

He took the envelope and nod before leaving.

"Why have we come to this..."

"Your Highness."

I know I do not have long, I finish my letters and placed an item inside for Yeon and Ilmin. Something for Mother and Father too. I walk to the palace temple with Lady Kim and Yeebin following me. I kneel before the shrine and put my palms together as the Queen Mother Wei approached me.

"Greetings to Mother."

She looks at me and nods, "How have you been?"

I smile, "Grandmother, I have one last request."

"Is it regarding Lady Jieun?"

"Yes, only you can stop the King. All in all, as the Queen Mother. You have the power to move the King."

I began to ramble and expose Lady Jieun's crimes.....

"See you off Grandmother."

All my retinues were retreated by the orders of Lee Jieun except for Lady Kim and Yeebin. I coughed harshly as I sat up in my pavilion, Yeebin came over with my medicine.

"Why is it so bitter...?"

"The physician added more herbs..."

I nod and wipe my mouth as I take a sip of water.

"Both of you can go down first."

Lady Kim and Yeebin look at each other then back at my assuring smile before they dismiss themelves. I watch them close the sliding door.

'My Lord... who would take care of you when I'm gone? I worry...'


[Queen Mother Wei's pov]

The amount of evidence given to me by the members of the Kimgiya Clan was enough. I was shocked. I knew Jieun did so many wrong things but I never expected her to be so evil.

"Lady Sobong?"

"Yes, Your Majesty."

I whispered to her as I approached Yeon and Ilmin's pavilion.

"Great-Grandmother!"

I smiled as they came up and bowed to me.

"Sweet child. Come on now, you will be under my care."

"All of a sudden?"

I smiled, "Your Royal Mother is not feeling well and just returned. Until she is feeling better, you will be under my care and stay in my palace."

"Yes, Great-Grandmother!"

I smiled and decided to bring them for a meal with their father. The both of them seemed unable to eat anything.

"Father, I don't want to it."

Yoongi looks at them sternly, "How dare you waste food?"

I stopped  them, "If they do not wish to eat, let them be. Prehaps the food at the Royal Study was better."

Lady Wong who serves them stepped forward, "The princes ate really well at the Royal Study. Even asking for seconds."

Yoongi frowns, "Such spoilt brats."

"Your Majesty, it is fine if they like the food. Ask the chef and if he is really capable, just continue to let him serve them." I turned to Lady Sobong, "Lady Sobong, check it."

"Yes Your Majesty."


[Jieun's pov]

I was doing embroidery in my room when I heard the news.

"What? Why would the Queen Mother want to check on the food?"

"My Lady, what do we do-"

I smashed my teacup, "Did you not say there wasn't anything wrong?"

Lady Im kneeled down immediately, "My lady, even if they check, they won't be able to find anything! The mushroom was intended to be used as a side dish! My Lady, you can relax!"

I sat down as I finally hear cries outside. I leave my palace to see some servants taking away Yoonhi.

"How dare you! Stop right there!"

The servants stopped and bowed to me.

"Release my son, who gave you the guts-"

The main eunuch took out a royal seal from his sleeve.

"The Queen Mother and His Majesty gave me permission to bring the young prince away. He will be raised by Consort Jennie with Consort Somi assisting. From now on, all consorts do not need to do their morning greetings to you, neither do they need to account themselves for you and you will no longer have control over them."

I clenched my fist, "Eunuch Yu, there has to be some mistake. His Majesty will not do this to me. I am the Royal Noble Consort."

"You will still be His Majesty's one and only Royal Noble Consort." The Eunuch turned to the other servants, "Bring him away!"

"Mother!"

I heard his cries, "Yoonhi! Yoonhi!"

My retinues blocked me as I collasped.

"This is all your fault!" I slapped Lady Im across the face.

I looked at my hand and regretted my actions, "No... Yoonhi. I am his mother- no!"

Lady Im brought me in and helped me dress up.

"Lady Im, I'm sorry." I took a bit of lipstick and helped her apply it on.

She nods, "I will forever be loyal to you."

I nod as she helped me undress so I can go to bed early.


[Yerin's pov]

"Madam."

I look up from my book as Eunhee enter the room with Jung Ho.

"Is Eunha on the way?"

"Yes Madam. Lady Im was sent out the palace and found by our men. Eunha is on the way to fetch her."

I nod, "Be careful not to raise suspicion. We have until tonight."

"Yes, Madam." Jung Ho bows and then leave.

Eunhee turns to me, "Madam.. the Queen."

"Eunhee, we all time life and death. I know she's weak but I want to try one final time. She is only 24."

"Madam..."

I held onto the satchet that Yewon sown for me when we were both living in the Forbidden City and gripped it tightly.

"Madam, Prince Taemin and Princess Taebi managed to present the evidence to the Queen Mother. Grand Princess Jisoo is watching over Prince Yeon currently."

I nod as I sighed, "Yewon..."

"Madam?"

Eunhee supported me as I stood up.

"Madam, let's take a short nap."

I nod as I lay down on my mattress with Eunhee kneeling beside me as I fall asleep.


[Jieun's pov]

I held onto the piece of rolled up paper as I approached the secret place where the white box was placed.

'This is all for Yoonhi, I've gone this far...'

I take out the box and smile.

'The future king.'

Holding onto the piece of rolled paper, I grinned.

"What are you doing?"

I dropped the box on the floor.


[Yoongi's pov]

I woke up to see a backview, holding onto the white box.

"What are you doing?"

The lady turned around and dropped the paper in shock.

"M-my L-lord."

I picked up the paper she dropped and opened it.

"On this day, I name Yoonhi the Crown Prince and heir to the throne."

I traced the paper as she kneeled down in shock.

"Y-your M-majesty. It's not what it looks like."

"Then you tell me what it looks like." I turned to the door, "Yu! Come in."


[Somi's pov]

I walked to the Royal Jail in secret with Lady Park. We see guard Jiyong tortured with blood stains over his white prisoner wear.

"L-lady J-jeon."

I approached him.

"I know that you have helped the Queen multiple times during her time in the Great Qing. But now with the rumours circulating."

He nods, "I am indebted to the Queen. Because of us... she suffered, so is the Crown Prince."

"Us?"

He holds out something weakly, "Lady Somi... this is for you."

I turned as he held out a red emerald ring, taking it I examined it so close. I saw pictures of a dragon and petal.

"T-this is the ring I and Lee Jieun shared as a token of love. The Dragon is me... and the petal is her. Now that I am gone, this is for you. To prove the Queen's innocence is all I can do before I die."

I close my eyes as a tear dropped.

"Lord Kwon, may we meet in our next life."

He smiles and nods as he leaves the jail cell with Lady Park following. I stayed inside, holding onto the ring as I gripped it tightly.

"My Lady."

Lady Park returned, signalling that Jiyong has passed away. I wore the ring on my index finger.

'Lord Jiyong, your death wasn't necessary but to prove sister's innocence. I had to."

Touching the emerald, I could feel his emotions.


[Yewon's pov]

I heard the news of Jiyong's passing and dropped my brush in shock.

"W-what?"

Lady Kim nods as she sobs softly as Eunuch Yu reported it. I close my eyes as a tear drops.

"Eunuch Yu, where is his body?"

"At the dump..."

"Is it possible?"

He nods, "General Kim has secretly brought his body to a forest for a burial. Do not fred."

I smiled and bowed, "Thank you."

Eunuch Yu shakes his head, "Don't mention it."

He left as Lady Kim stood by me in my pavilion

"He sacrificed himself for us. Now it is my turn to repay him justice."

I got up and moved into my closet, found some cloth and took out items for embroidery. I arranged them and began hand-sowing them together. Threading down all the names whom have been defeated in Jieun's hands. From officials to the royal children. There was none she ever let go of. I came to the name 'Kwon Jiyong' brushing my fingers against his name in hanja.

'You loved her so much... you let her use you for power. You didn't mind letting her step over you even if she was walking to someone else. This kind of love... I can never understand.'

I smiled as I tied the names together and come across a familiar one, 'Son Seungwan'. I smiled.

"Seungwan... how are you? I'll meet you soon. I'm sorry, you can reprimand me all you want for not being a compatible mother to Ilmin. Have you met Jiyong? He plays with Ilmin and Yeon the most. Our children..." I muttered.

I made the names into little prayer flags for each victim as I remembered their endings. I smiled as I know I will be the next.


[Yoongi's pov]

I sat in my highchair as Jieun kneels before me trying to explain herself.

"Your Majesty, you said you loved Yoonhi the most."

"In the times when I was sick, as Royal Noble Consort you did not visit or take care of me. You wanted to make your son Crown Prince!"

She shakes her head, "The physicians- they were the ones who said you were in bad condition, but you are in perfect health. In this case, aren't they making a fool of Your Majesty?"

"Really?"

"Your Majesty!"

I turned as Consort Jeon enters.

"Consort."

She bows, "Your Majesty. I have evidence about Consort Lee."

"Speak of it then."

"Consort Lee started rumours of Sister Yewon and Lord Jiyong. She used Ilmin to frame the Queen that she did not take care of Lady Seungwan's child. She poisoned Yeon and-"

Consort Jieun snapped, "Consort Somi! Remember to watch your words. How dare you lie in front of the King?"

Consort Somi smirked, "I'm lying?"

I turned to the entrance as the door slides open and it reveals Lady Im in rags.

"Lady Im? Didn't the Noble Consort say you were dead?"

"No. I was not dead. That's because the Royal Noble Consort tried to kill me."

Consort Jieun frowned, "Lady Han! How dare you- why would I want to kill you?"

"That's what I would like to know too. Why do you have to kill me?"

Jieun was silent.

Lady Im continued, "Your Majesty, as Lady Jieun's right hand servant. I can testify to her words. Consort Jieun used venom to try and stop Crown Prince Ilmin from breathing and then lured the Queen to where the Crown Prince was. Knowing that if Your Majesty sees the Queen this way. You will surely assume she wanted to harm Lady Seungwan's Son."

"How dare you! No, My Lord! I've never done it."

A stern voice came, "By now, you still have so many ways to wash the sins on you. What you have done to so many innocent lives. You know it very well, yourself."

I turned to see Grandmother and Lady Sobong.

"Greetings to Royal Grandmother."

I kneeled with Consort Somi and the servants as grandmother took a seat.

"Queen Mother! I did not. The Queen conspired all these with Lady Jennie. They want me dead so Crown Prince Yeoncan properly become the next King."

Grandmother seemed to know everything and smirked as Lady Sobong took out a book underneath her dangui and handed it to Yu before passing it to me.

"Your Majesty. Take a look."

I opened the book and my eyes widened.

"How dare you!" The book flew and slapped Jieun in the face.

"Your Majesty! No! I did not do this! It's-"

I pointed my fingers, "Do you want to say that the Queen Mother conspired this too?"

She shakes her head, "No! I was wrong! But I did not do this Your Majesty. It's the Queen! She wants my son dead."

Grandmother chuckles, "Do you think when I chose Yewon to be Queen. I would choose someone foolish? All these years while watching you rise up in ranks... Yewon and Yerin's children have collected enough evidence against you. Each of these qualify for execution. Lady Sobong, show the King."

Lady Sobong handed me a plate of mushrooms.

"These mushrooms were placed into Yeon's food. I had the physicians checked."

"Are they harmful?"

Lady Im interrupted, "Those mushrooms are poisonous and can ruin a person's organs. Royal Noble Consort placed it in Crown Prince Ilmin dishes to ruin the internal organs if they are eaten in great volumes. She wanted them to die so that Prince Yoonhi can become the next monarch and she can be Queen Mother. Thankfully, the Queen Mother took Crown Prince Yeon under her wing and prevented it from happening."

Grandmother smirked, "I have experienced so many conflicts between jealous women in the inner court. But I have never seen someone as evil as you."

Jieun shook her head, "No, Your Majesty- The mushrooms are fine! They ate it."

I held onto the plate, "Eat it then."

She hesitated as I slammed the plate aside. Consort Somi watched these and stepped forward.

"Your Majesty, Lord Jiyong has something for you."

I waved my hand as she climbed up the steps and handed me a ring. Jieun recongised it and froze.

"Lord Jiyong says he is guilty for being the one who seperated both you and sister Yewon. He said his death will never be enough to fulfill anything but all he wants is to wash the dirt thrown on sister Yewon. This is the token of love shared by Jiyong and Lady Jieun. The dragon is Lord Jiyong and the petal represents Lady Jieun."

"Your Majesty, I can testify for this! Years ago when the Consort could not bear an heir. She tried to seduce Lord Jiyong using lighted incense. Thankfully, Lord Jiyong resisted and only then the Consort gave up."

Lady Im moved forward on her knees and touched her forehead on the floor.

"You ! You dare to dirty the royal bloodline?"

"This was a trap set up by the Queen! Your Majesty-"

"This is a trap? Yewon asked me to tell you this is a game, but like any game you play. You will be the ultimate loser."

I turned to Grandmother, "You went to see Yewon?"

"Yewon asked me to bring a few things."

Lady Sobong clap her hands together as three servants came in. They opened a few prayer flags that were sown together.

"Sinner Jieun of the Lee Clan. All the evil deeds you made. Do you remember them? All these years, Yewon remembered them for you."

I watched as the cloth stretched, names from 'Seungwan' to 'Jiyong' to 'Fourth Princess' that Eunbi miscarried. From the inner court to the outer court, she seemed to have power everywhere.

"Your majesty, the Queen said it is up to you to punish Lady Jieun. She wants justice for these souls. Sending the prayer flags to the temple for prayer chants to let these souls finally rest."

"Yes, Grandmother."

Consort Somi stepped forward.

"Your Majesty, then sister Yewon?"

"I got it. Send Grandmother back."

Consort Somi bows before following Grandmother out. Lady Im also followed suit with their retinues.

"Now, your turn."

Yu led maid servants to hold Jieun down as another Court Lady assisted in helping Jieun drink the poison. She resisted but the poison still went down.

"Your Majesty, you are heartless. In this palace, how many people were truly in love with you? No one! Only the Queen loved you. Yet you pushed her away. A heartless monarch! Even the Queen who waited for you desperately! You never looked at anyone who loved you! In your heart you know you are exactly like me, heartless and only power matters to us."

She starts laughing like a maniac.

"Send the Royal Noble Consort back, without my permission. She is not allowed to die nor is she allowed to step foot outside her palace."

Servants dragged her out as I sat on my throne and kept mum as silence dawned upon us.

"Yewon... just how much did you keep from me?"