Birthday

Trust, Let's Trust.

"Intervention?"

"Seol and I can work it amongst ourselves, you guys."

"Without us, Seol isn't going to say crap." Taehyung says,

"Tae-"

"I'm sorry, I never meant to hurt you." Seol apologizes,

"You didn't. It was my fault for not being careful."

"I should have been careful."

"Seol, I don't need an apology, but rather an explanation." Heeyoung demands,

Seol bites her lips, nervously, "You suddenly showed up one day and managed to get on everyone's good side. You were so sweet and kind, I couldn't hate you, but god was I jealous. Even with your flaws, you were perfect and that annoyed me. I hated you for caring, when I never returned the effort. I hated you for never getting mad at me, no matter how much trouble I caused you. Even with Jayden. You're so fu*king understanding that I suspected you were being fake at times. It felt like you walked in and took away my life." Seol confesses,

Heeyoung nods, "I knew you didn't like me, but I kept trying to be your friend because I know you weren't a bad person, Seol. You were jealous of me taking your place and I understood. I assumed as we got older, those feelings had passed. About Jayden, I felt guilty about stopping you, not because I'm self-sacrificing and I kinda fell in love with the slimy monkey."

"I knew I didn't want to go through the abortion, but I felt like I didn't have a choice. Had you not stopped me, I know I wouldn't have been able to move past that incident." Seol mumbles,

"I'm glad then." Heeyoung mumbles, raising her water bottle towards her crying friend, "And I know you've always been insecure when it comes to Jayden. That's why I try not to interfere, but Jayden is old enough to make certain decisions and though I've met Junmyeon's parents, I don't trust the Kim elders to treat Jayden amicably."

"I fu*king hated you back then Seol." Hana speaks up, "I remember Hope was going to study abroad in the summer, but you ignored that. She was already busy with school and work, adding Jayden to that, she barely got enough rest and had it not been for Jaemin and Taehyung, I'm sure she couldn't have handled it."

"We also understood your struggles, Seol." Bomi assures her, "I know you did everything to distract yourself, because if you had even a free moment, you would cry over Jayden. We supported you, though we didn't understand how you handled yourself and the situation."

"I can't believe we're having a sobbing fest on my birthday." Heeyoung mumbles, watching her friends sob.


"Happy Birthday!" Heeyoung pretends to be surprised, walking into the private party with Taehyung.

"Hope!" Jayden runs up to her, while Jongin rolls in the cake.

"Spence!" She imitates, the kid stops a few steps away,

"How is baby Hope doing?" Jayden asks, earning coos from the elders,

"Really good." Hope nods, "Should we cut the cake now?" She asks the little boy,

"Yeah."

"What's going on?" Hope asks, noticing a projector screen rolling down,

"You'll know after we're dinner." Taehyung pushes more food on her plate.

~

The lights dim with the white screen coloring up really quick,

"H.hello, my name is Taehyung Kim. I am 5 years old, but I'll be 6 soon." The young boy on the screen introduces, holding up 5 little fingers to the camera.

"Starting today, I'm going to start recording everything so if anything happens, Appa, Mimi and Minnie can still see me." He sobs,

"Why are you crying?" A voice off screen asks,

"Who are you?" He sniffles, wiping at his tears.

"Tell me why you're crying, first." The little girl off camera says,

"I'm sick. the doctor say I have cancer, like mommy." The little boy sniffs,

"Is that why you're recording?" The little girl asks off camera, Taehyung nods.

"Okay, then. I'll help you too." She says,

"You haven't told me your name yet." Taehyung asks. She walks on camera, taking the swing beside him.

"I'm Heeyoung, but my close friends call me Hope." She introduces, smiling at Taehyung,

"I haven't told my friends yet. What if they stop talking with me?"

"You told me and I'm your friend. If they stop talking to you, I'll always be here." Hope assures him,

"Why is your name Hope?" Taehyung suddenly asks,

"One of my best friends nicknamed me Hope." She tells him, jumping off the swing, but she slips, scraping her knee.

"Are you okay?" Taehyung worries, crouching beside her,

"I'm fine." Hope holds back her tears.

"Why aren't you crying?" Taehyung asks her,

"Mom doesn't like seeing me cry." She answers,

"Your mom isn't here, right now." Taehyung says, looking around the empty park.

"But..."

"I'll keep watch." He tells her, standing in front of her while she sobs her eyes out.

"Thank you, Taehyung Kim." Hope smiles, wiping at her cheeks. "I'm sure you'll successfully fight off your cancer." She states, turning to leave.

"When can we meet again?" Taehyung stops her,

"That's my house."  She points somewhere off camera, "Just come over when you want or I can meet you here tomorrow?"

"Promise." Taehyung hurries to her, holding his pinky finger out,

"Promise." Heeyoung beams, joining their fingers,

"You'll always be my best friend and never leave me." Taehyung asks,

"Of course. I promise from this day on, Taehyung Kim is my number 1 best friend ever." She says, sealing the promise.

"Bye Tae-Tae and bye-bye Tae-Tae's appa and mimi and minnie." She waves at the camera, running off.

The screen switches as the current Taehyung appears,"Hope Park, it's been around 20 years since we first met and you've always kept your promise. Without you by my side, I know I won't be who I am today. Thank you for being my guardian angel and keeping me safe. I love you, my soulmate." Taehyung blows a kiss to the camera.

“Love you too, soulmate.”

A slideshow starts of pictures of Bomi and Heeyoung before Bomi appears on the screen, seated on the couch previously occupied by Taehyung.

"Happy Birthday, Hope. I can't believe it's been 18 years since we've met. I know we say this a lot, but had it not been for you, I'm not sure whether I would have gotten a chance with the love of my life. You've been our biggest supporters, helping us through our sometimes childish fights to the heavy arguments. Thank you for never giving up on us, even when we did." Bomi sniffles, wiping at her tears, "I will never forget what you've done for me and promise to always be with you. I love you, Hope."

She stands to leave, but pauses to look at the camera, "I'm looking forward to hearing some good news." The petite woman winks, as a groan sounds off camera and Haechan appears, hurriedly pushing Bomi away.

"Chan.,"

"No. Kim Jongmin hasn't even met hyung yet." Haechan frowns,

Jongin glares at his wife while the others stifle their laughter.

"Love."

"It's my turn." Haechan sits down, gazing at his wife as she leaves the room.

"Hope Park, the only good news I need to be hearing is successful business deals." Haechan warns, pointing his index finger at the camera. 

He straightens up, "Hello, Youngest. Thanks for always supporting and encouraging us to follow our dreams. Thank you for being with me through one of the darkest moments in my life. Do you remember dragging me out of bed and forcing me outside the house on my 15th birthday. I promised I wasn't going to celebrate, but you came in and demanded I get my lazy, pathetic self up, because I'm not allowed to wallow in misery anymore. I was so mad at you, but I found myself feeling better and was able to slowly start moving on. Love you." Haechan sends a flying kiss to the camera.

The screen switches to pictures of Haechan and Hope, most of them, selfies from the former's 15th birthday.

"As happy as I am for you, I'm excited for your husband finally meeting hyung." Haechan snickers at Jongin,

"Oppa." Heeyoung rolls her eyes at the slightly childish male,

"Hi." Seol pops up on camera,"I hope you're having a wonderful day. This is slightly awkward, since we have known each other for a really long time. Heeyoung Park, thanks for being with me through the worst and best moments of my life. When my parents passed away, you kept pushing me out of my shell and somehow you always knew when I was feeling upset. You would always show up after midnight and drag me to the roof to stargaze. But you never pushed me to talk, rather you would just sit there with me, back then I didn't understand why. But looking back, I realized you were giving me a chance to be alone with my thoughts without letting me be alone. Thank you for being there. I'm sure you've heard this, but thanks for helping me become the person I am today. Had it not been for you, I would be missing out on many things. I love you." She shyly ends.

Pictures of Seol and Hope play through the screen, they slowly turn to pictures of Hana and Hope and the slideshow ends with Hana seated on a familiar couch.

"I was going to say something nice, but I'm sure the others will and I always try to keep you humble. So, Happy birthday to one of the stupidest and impulsive idiots I have the pleasure of calling my wifey. What the fu- were you on at age 8. We were all fighting and pointing fingers at each other, but you volunteered yourself as bait, dragging poor little Taehyung with you. Thankfully we're all safe and sound, but damn babe. Let's not forget senior year, a.k.a psycho Hope." Hana visibly shudders on screen, "That's when I realized if you can love me through my obsession with JT, I should stick with you through your maniac phase." Hana pauses, remembering something, "Thanks for being my relationship therapist. Love you, wifey."

"What happened senior year?"

"We don't speak of it."

"Happy Birthday Hope. I.." Eddy pauses, taking out a note card, "I'm sure you guys remember when I first joined, I was a scrawny little boy with thick glasses that covered my face, who recently moved to the country and didn't fit in and I didn't speak much. I used to attend a different school at first and I never told anyone this, but I was bullied. One day, Hope saw me and rather than running away, she ran towards us. Even though she was a tiny little girl in front of these older boys, she stood her ground. After that, she dragged me to her house and when my parents came to pick me up, she demanded they transfer me to your school because I was her friend. My parents didn't even have a chance to refute this strange little girl. Thank you for being the best." Eddy fades away as a small clip of Eddy and Heeyoung dancing and laughing around a dance studio plays, followed by pictures of the two from when they were younger.

The pictures fade away and Jaemin appears on the screen, "Happy birthday, my Hope. I know I haven't been a friend these past years, I'm sorry for not appreciating you. I love you." He sighs, "I really miss our college years, even when we were constantly stressed out. You'll never forget our promise, right?" Jaemin looks directly at the camera.

"I'm here." Jayden yells, jumping into Jaemin's lap. "Play the videos here."  Jayden instructs Jaemin and the screen darkens briefly.

[Video 1]

"Awww! He looks like a slimy monkey." Hope coos at the newborn, 

"Hope." Bomi scolds,

"She's not wrong." Hana backs her up, looking over the baby over Hope's shoulder.

"Spencer or Jayden?" Haechan asks, looking at the exhausted mother, 

"Whatever his godparents chose." Seol says, the camera now focused on the newborn with Bomi.

"Jayden Choi." Jaemin states,

"Spencer Choi." Taehyung argues, 

"How about, Jayden Spencer Choi?" Hope suggests, tired of the continuous argument between her roommates.

"Jayden Spencer Choi sounds perfect." Seol yawns, as the hospital door opens.

"Minho oppa, meet Jayden Spencer Choi." Bomi introduces, handing the newborn to the tall male, 

"He looks like a monkey." Minho deadpans, earning applause from Hope.

"Stop." The lady beside Minho smacks his arm,

"I've already got him a monkey onesie." Hope chirps as the video cuts off to a picture of Jayden in said onesie. 

[Video 2]

Jayden rolls over on his tummy and they hear a door opening and shutting. 

"I'm home." Hope yells off screen,

"Is he..." Hope asks, as Jayden gets off his tummy and crawls towards her,

"OMG, he's crawling, Tae." Hope squeals as a door slams open.

"What's wrong?" Jaemin runs into the screen dressed only in his boxers, displaying his well-developed body.

"Spence is crawling." Hope beams at the baby,

"That's my boy!" Jaemin lays on the floor ushering Jayden to him.

[Video 3]

"Jayden, wave Hi to mama." Hope says from behind the camera as a wobbly baby appears on the screen.

"Ma-ma." Jayden mumbles, letting go of the couch and taking a slow step towards the camera.

"Is he?" Hana gasps, looking over the scene,

"Jayden come to Jae appa." Jaemin says, as the baby slowly hobbles towards them without any support.

"Ma-ma." Jayden beams, coming to stand in front of the camera,

"Aww, he's saying hi to his mama." Hope coos, handing Jaemin the camera and carrying Jayden up,

"Say hi, mama." Hope points to the camera, while Jayden pats her cheek, "Ma-ma."

"Yeah, ma-ma." Oblivious Hope waves at the camera.

[Video 4]

"Welcome to the 1st birthday of our little prince." Bomi waves at the camera, showing an extravagant room.

"Doljabi time." Hana yells, dragging Bomi to where Hope and Jaemin are holding Jayden while Taehyung finishes setting up.

"Okay, ready." Jaemin looks at Heeyoung and sets Jayden down.

Without a moment of hesitation, the baby heads for the $100 bill, but at the last moment he switches his mind and also grabs the stethoscope, ignoring the other items.

Snapshots of Jayden getting older with his godparents play, ending with Jayden seated on a familiar couch.

"Hope, thank you for raising me with love and care. I'm sure I must have annoyed and angered you a lot, but you've never once raised your voice at me and always protect me from Tae and Jae appa. I love you and wish you the bestest of the best birthday and always being happy. I love you ma-ma." He blows a kiss to the camera.

~

"Did you like it?" Jayden asks, looking up at his favorite person ever.

"I love it." The birthday girl assures him.

"It was my idea." Jayden tells her,

Heeyoung loudly gasps, "No wonder, I loved it so much. My Spencer is the smartest." She coos, pressing kisses over his face.

"Tae helped too and Jae appa edited the video, but it was my idea." Jayden beams, seeking more praises.

"Aww-" She's cut off as a loud noise sounds from the speakers, getting everyone's attention.

"We can talk here." Heeyoung's voice booms through the speakers. The lady pales, internally panicking as another soft voice sounds through the speakers,

"I. Promise me what I say will stay between us, please." The other lady asks, the familiar voice recognized by a few of the guests.

Hope nudges Taehyung, who quickly heads to the control booth while Jaemin and Seol discreetly leave with Jayden.

"I can't. If you're in trouble or something, I can't just stay quiet." Heeyoung states,

"Heeyoung, please. I don't know what to do."

"I'm not saying I won't help. I just won't keep silent if It doesn't feel right."

"I. I'm fuc*ing terrified and the only advice I got from the one experienced person I know is to find a Hope, but I'm scared of their reactions and I really just."

Heeyoung worriedly glances at Taehyung having difficulties at the control booth,

"I'm pregnant." The unknown lady cries, gasps sound around the room and Heeyoung holds her head.

"Have you confirmed it?"

"I went in for my annual check-up. I'm at 10 weeks, but I don't even have any signs or anything." The lady says, "I'm not sure if I want to go through this."

"Oh."

"I just. I don't want a child to be the reason we're still together." The pregnant lady cries,

"I thought you guys were fine?" Heeyoung asks,

"We fought a few weeks ago..." 

"What about your family?"

"They'll disown me."

"Even your brother?" Heeyoung asks,

"This is a private conversation." Heeyoung yells, blocking the last sentence of the recording,

"Heeyoung Park, sit down." Hyeri calmly commands. Heeyoung does, not wanting to anger Doh Hyeri.

"Of course he'll be upset. You guys hide it from him, but he's your brother. Trust me, no matter how tough brothers are, at the end they're the ones we can rely on, definitely more than our partners. Just thinking of that idiot pisses me off, how dare he. Pick one of his bones and I'll gladly break it." Heeyoung tells the other, earning a wet chuckle from the pregnant lady.

"I can't stand the thought of him in pain."

"But you can't keep hurting either." Heeyoung growls at the brace on her ankle while Taehyung has given up in the control booth.

"This isn't the most ideal solution but it's the quickest one. You can move out of the country with an excuse of a job with one of my friends. You can stay with him and he'll take care of you. I'll explain more in detail after you've talked to your brother. I won't compromise on that. Your brother is understanding and he will be upset and angry and disappointed but if you leave without telling him, you'll regret it more than anything in this world."

"Can you be there with me? I can call him over." The other asks,

"Of course, I'll keep Jongin out for a few hours."

"Thank you!"

"If you plan on leaving the country, I'm going to have to bring in Bomi and maybe Taehyung. If you choose to keep the baby or not, you're going to need a medical professional either way." 

"As long as you trust them to keep it hidden."

"I'll talk to them after we've talked to your brother."

"Can I ask you for something else?" The other lady asks, "If I choose to keep the baby, will you help me give it a legal background? I don't want my child to be labeled, so if you could..."

Heeyoung clears as understanding sets in, "If you're planning on letting us adopt your baby, I'm going to involve my lawyer. I'll give him a heads up. If you consider Jongin and I good people to raise your child, I promise we'll do our absolute best. Jongin loves babies, so it shouldn't be hard to persuade him."

"Thank you so much and I'm so sorr-"

"Don't, the one who needs to apologize is that idiot with a good face, but no fu*king brains." Heeyoung grumbles,

"Thank you."

"Don't thank me, I'm not being selfless. Once I gain parental rights, it will be my child. I'm not going to separate you or anything absurd but I will always put the well-being of the child first. If you decide that you want your child back, I could potentially fight back and refuse. So, please think over your decision carefully." 


"Are you upset?" Heeyoung carefully asks her husband as they stop at a red light.

Taking his silence as an agreement, she explains, "I was asked to keep it a secret. I'm sorry, I was going to tell you after talking to her."

Jongin lightly chuckles, interlocking their fingers together, "I'm not upset. I'm just thinking if we should look for a bigger house or have one build." 

Heeyoung breathes a sigh of relief, peppering kisses on the back of his hand. "I love you."

"I love you more." Jongin presses a kiss to her hand, as they come to another red light,

"Do you know whether we'll be raising two kids?" Heeyoung asks her husband,

"I'm sure the dumba*s has figured things out." Jongin tells her, signaling towards his ringing phone as Heeyoung already blocked him.

"He can go die in a hole for all I care." Heeyoung huffs, declining the call again.

"I know he's an idiot but he truly cares and loves her. He's just extremely busy." Jongin defends,

"Busy? He fu*king ignored her calls and refused to see her even when she went to his office. She tried everything but the dumba*s ignored her. I guess, Whopper and I need to prepare ourselves for when we become fu*king appointments on your busy schedule." Heeyoung scoffs, yanking her hand out of his.

"Love." Jongin grimaces, trying to reach for her, but she scoots away from him,

"Baby." Jongin pulls into an empty parking lot. He parks the car and tries to calm her down, but after several failed attempts he turns the car off and gets out. She closes her eyes, not wanting to cry, when her door opens and her seatbelt is unbuckled and she's carefully pulled out of the car.

"What are you doing?" Heeyoung tries to fight against Jongin, but her husband silences her with a kiss and carries her into the backseat of the SUV.

"Heeyoung." Jongin calls, but she has her eyes squeezed shut. "Baby, I wasn't clear with my words. I'm sorry."

She avoids looking away from him.

"I can be an idiot at times, but even then I would never hurt you like that." She continues ignoring him. Jongin sighs, laying her down on the seat while he hovers over her. The sudden change in position surprises her, causing her to open her reddened eyes to stare at him.

"I love you." He says, pressing kisses to her eyes, "I can't promise that I won't make mistakes but I promise to do my best to prioritize our family over everything." He kisses her forehead as she wraps her arms around his waist.

"I would be so lost without you." Jongin says, pressing kisses over her face as she slowly relaxes into his arms.

"The second you hurt me, CEO Kim, I will walk away." Heeyoung warns, Jongin lightly chuckles.

"I'm serious CEO Kim, I will live a wonderful and happy life without you."

"Understood." Jongin nods, leaning down for a kiss while she grabs his collar.


"Welcome." The couple rolls their eyes, looking over their crowded living room.

"Thank you." Heeyoung sasses. Jongdae glances over them, taking note of their wrinkled clothes and messy hair.

"I'm sure Round 2 can wait until later." Jongdae bluntly says, Heeyoung responds with a blank look.

"Seems like brother-in-law is upse-" Jongin clamps a hand over his wife's mouth. Giving his twin a deathly glare, he carries Heeyoung to their bedroom.

~

"Final-" Minseok warns Jongdae to keep his mouth shut.

Jongin sets Heeyoung on the couch beside Taehyung.

"Help us understand?" Hyeri starts,

"I don't feel comfortable revealing someone else's secrets." Heeyoung responds,

"It's obviously Yiming, we just want to know who the dumba*s is." Jongdae states, while Hyeri is ready to beat someone up.

"It's not my secret to tell and especially not to people who don't need to know." Heeyoung glances between Junmyeon and Sehun.

"My friends are here." Sehun deadpans,

"Chanyeol isn't and the rest are here to support their partners, Yiming's best friends. Yixing would appreciate it if unnecessary people weren't involved in this matter."  Heeyoung snaps, glancing at Yixing, who shares her sentiments, though her rude tone does raise a few curious eyebrows. 

"Why is Taehyung here?" Sehun retorts,

"He's the father."