Kiss

Something Borrowed
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jiyong was silent during the ride home. Dara the radio to reduce the awkwardness after that short staring session she had with Jiyong, before she joked about needing to use the toilet for an urgent emergency. Awkward times, awkward times.

It’s almost 9 pm, and the radio station was playing some ‘90s staples. Seo Taiji and Boys’ To You came on.

It was one of Dara’s favorite songs from the boyband who took the country by storm when she was in highschool. She found herself singing along, while she looked at the fast moving scenery from the window.

Jiyong was still silent, a little too silent than usual – and the car was only filled with sound coming from the radio. Well, until Dara suddenly blurted something out.

“Oh! I just realized, YG Sajangnim was in this band!”

Jiyong was laughing – he kept pointing at her eyes, which, according to him has grown so big they look like saucers.

“Have you realized that just now?” Jiyong teased.

“I mean, I knew about it, but it just sunk in when I was listening to that song. Which, by the way, is one of my favorites from them.”

“You can get your autograph anytime, though. Just tell me.”

In a few moments, they were back in the apartment.  Dara felt so drained from all the questions and the impromptu concert, which was the most unexpected event of the night. She was just glad to be in the comfort of their home. She found herself marveling at the thought of this apartment she shared with Jiyong and how she has come to see it as home. She felt a tinge of sadness when she realized that she’ll be moving out in a week. She wired the deposit earlier and settled the details with her landlady.

“You hungry?” Jiyong asked as he came to the kitchen to grab a glass of water.

“Not really, but I can eat.”

Jiyong nodded, and got out 4 packs of ramyeon and placed water in a big pot, while Dara took out some of the side dishes she had stocked inside the fridge. While waiting for the pot to boil, the two of them sat beside each other on the kitchen counter.

“So, songwriting is really your thing, huh?”

“I guess. But it’s a thing I do for myself. Like how other people play sports as a form of anger or stress management.”

She smiled, and Jiyong chuckled. He said he can’t imagine a small, innocent rabbit needing anger management.

“But seriously, that song was good. When did you write it?”

“Uhm…a while back. I think.” She paused, looking flustered, afraid Jiyong will ask more questions. “I forgot when actually.”

“Pffft. You are such a lousy liar, Tokki. Fine, if you won’t reveal your secret crush, I won’t pry.”

And Dara thought she lied pretty well.

Jiyong drummed his fingers on the counter, and Dara pretended to check her phone. Both were relieved that the pot started to boil. Jiyong put in the ramyeon and allowed it to cook.

“Ta-da! Jiyong’s special ramyeon.”

Dara snorted, but if she had to be honest, her heart was fluttering. It was the first time Jiyong gave her anything he’s made. Mostly because Jiyong was hopeless in the kitchen. She once asked him to mince some garlic, which did not end well. She had to pick up “flying” garlic everywhere.

“Your mom will be proud because you’ve made something edible! Let’s just not tell her it’s instant ramyeon.” She teased.

“Let’s just eat, okay?” He said with a laugh.

They ended up opening bags of chips and m&ms, and some soju. The m&ms were mostly for Dara, because she didn’t really drink much, she just wanted to keep Jiyong company. They were in their usual hangout place: the living room floor.

“Yah, Tokkiiiiiii. Tell me..” Jiyong was getting a little bit buzzed, she badgered Dara, while shaking her on the shoulders playfully.

“Whaaaatt. You’re tipsy, Jiyongie. Maybe you should take it easy. Here, grab an m&m.”

She tried to shoot an m&m onto Jiyong’s mouth which ended up hitting his nose. That got the tipsy man laughing.

“No…don’t change the topic. I wanna know more about this secret songwriting Dara.”

“You’re not making any sense.”

“No, no. Tell me who you are. I think I’ve always blabbed about me, but you never tell me about you.”

“Oh..”

“What made you write songs?”

“Well..my dad liked music. He bought me a guitar when I was twelve. So we had this afternoon guitar sessions. That’s how it all started. Then I just found myself writing stuff, e

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter