Chapter 4: Breakaway.

She is a boy

Chapter 4: Breakaway.

“Move” Youngjae said, avoiding eye contact with Daehyun.

   “Huh?”

    “I said move, you're in my way”

    Daehyun retreated shyly as he realized how close he was to Youngjae. So close he could feel his breath on his skin. Youngjae rolled on the floor and jumped up off, then he tried to the sleeping bag in order to get out, but he couldn't even move his arms.

    “Need help?” Daehyun saw Youngjae trapped within the sleeping bag.

    “No” he said coldly and tried to move his arms once more, but the sleeping bag was too tight and immobilized him.

    Desperate, Youngjae bit the zipper and tried ping it with his teeth, but it didn’t work.

    “What are you looking at? Help me out of the sleeping bag” Youngjae yelled at Daehyun.

    “You just said you don't need my help” Daehyun crossed his arms “At least say the magic word”

    “What magic word?”

    “Please. Say it if you want my help”

    “Please” Youngjae said through his teeth.

    “Say it like you mean it”

    “Please” Youngjae softened his tone; he even looked at him with big puppy eyes.

    “See? It isn't hard to be nice” Daehyun reached the zipper along the side of the sleeping bag, tried to it, but it wouldn't budge.

    “Why you taking so long? It's just a damn zipper!”

    “It's a little stuck” Daehyun hunched down and gave it a strong pull “Oh hell” Daehyun turned pale.

    “Oh hell what?” Youngjae raised his eyebrow.

    “Promise me that you won't yell” Daehyun bit his lower lip tensely.

    “What did you do...”

    “Just don’t yell at me, ok? It was an accident” Daehyun swallowed “The clasp of my bracelet is caught in your zipper”

    “You're talking nonsense” Youngjae took a step away and Daehyun was pulled with him.

    Youngjae looked at Daehyun in denial; he took another step pulling her again.

    “You gotta be kidding me, how can you be so... dumb. So dumb” Youngjae said.

    “We just need someone to get us unstuck” Daehyun laughed nervously “Maybe your secretary is back from her lunch already”

    “I won't let my subordinates see me in this ridiculous scenario”

    “Then how are we going to break away?”

    “I'll call my friend” Youngjae said although he couldn't do anything at all by being trapped inside the sleeping bag “My cell is on the desk, take it and call Himchan”

    Daehyun grabbed the phone and said:

    “It’s asking for a password”

    “I won’t give you the password”

    “How am I supposed to call?” Daehyun said “You can change the password after we get out of this” Daehyun shook his left hand with the bracelet hooked with the zipper.

    “Fine” Youngjae said “The password is JOKOMATO

    “What does that mean?”

    “None of your business, just call Himchan”

    Daehyun sighed and typed the password; the background pic of Youngjae's phone was a gorgeous girl.

    “Don't look at my girlfriend” Youngjae said.

    “You have a girlfriend? How? You're rude and mean” Daehyun said in disbelief.

    “Because I'm hot, you'd never get it 'cause you're ugly”

    Daehyun rolled his eyes and dialed Himchan's number (there was only one Kim Himchan from Youngjae’s phone contacts)

    “Um... Himchan? I'm with your friend Youngjae. We’re... in... trouble... and need your help. We’re in his office...” Daehyun said and remained silent as Himchan replied to him, then he faced Youngjae with an upset expression “He says he can’t come over”

    “Put it on speaker!” Youngjae cried out as Daehyun obeyed “I don't care what you say, you come here right now or you'll see” Youngjae threatened Himchan.

    “Whatever your problem with the lady is, figure it out by yourself” Himchan said.

    Oh, he thinks I'm a lady, Daehyun thought, faking a girl's voice is really easy.

    “I can't, that's why I call you”

    “What are you doing with her anyway? You have a girlfriend, don't you?” Himchan chuckled.

    “It's not what you think! I'd never cheat on Nahyun with the fright I'm with right now”

    “Whatever, can't help you”

    “I'm your boss, it's an order, if you aren’t here soon, you’re…”

    “Fired?” Himchan said “Your threats don’t work with me”

    “Please, it’s an emergency!!!”

    “You never say please you must be desperate” Himchan said “I’ll be at your office in six hours”

    “Right now”

    “Right now I'm out of town, won't be back till nine” Himchan said and hung up.

    “What?!!! Where are you?!!!” Youngjae yelled at the phone.

    “Stop yelling!!!” Daehyun said, at that rate he was going to end up deaf “We can call another friend of yours”

    “He's my only friend”

    “Why I'm surprised, it's a miracle you have one to begin with”

    “Feel free to call yours”

    “I don't have... I do, but... it's none of your business” Daehyun thought of Natalie, he still waited for her to call him.

    “Himchan said he'll be here at nine” Youngjae shrugged his shoulders.

    “It's 3 p.m.” Daehyun checked the hour on the screen.

    “I know, being with you will be hell” Youngjae said “Although for you it’ll be heaven, I bet you’ve never been with someone so attractive like me”

    “Oh yeah, you're so attractive” Daehyun said sarcastically as he looked Youngjae up and down “You know that you being inside that green sleeping bag is like you wearing a bad caterpillar costume, don’t you?”

    “I’m still more attractive than you” Youngjae started hopping and pulling Daehyun with him.

    “Where are you going?” Daehyun said as he had to follow him, after all, they were stuck next to each other.

    “Bathroom”

    “I'm not going to the bathroom with you” Daehyun pulled his hand with strength driving Youngjae back “Why you want to go to the bathroom? You can't get out of the bag anyway”

    “It's for you”

    “What are you talking about? I don't need to go, even if I want to, I'd hold in, I'd never use the bathroom with you by my side” Daehyun felt a surge of heat go through his body.

    “It's for you to remove that crap on your face, I don't think spending hours watching you with that atrocious makeup” Youngjae started hopping to the bathroom again.

    Daehyun didn't stop him that time, in fact, it was a good idea to take his makeup off, it was uncomfortable and itchy.

    The bathroom was in the east wing, it had shower and bathtub and shelves full of skincare products and cosmetics. Daehyun washed his face while Youngjae talked to him.

    “Girls are prettier when they wear makeup, but in your case you're just uglier! Why did you put makeup on? You're a monster, it's like someone vomited an ugly rainbow all over your ugly face”

    “You told me to wear makeup” Daehyun said once he finished washing the makeup off his face, he felt fresher and comfier.

    “I told you? Uhh, you have no personality. A woman doing what a man says it's lame, we aren't in the 19th anymore”

 

Youngjae and Daehyun went to the kitchen, the first one wanted some coffee and Daehyun had to make it.

    “You know how to use the coffeemaker, right?” Youngjae said.

    “Of course” Daehyun said, he was the coffee boy, after all.

    Youngjae yawned and Daehyun saw, for the first time, dark circles under his eyes.

    “I haven't slept in days because of you” Youngjae said.

    “Because of me?” Daehyun said, perplexed, that phrase was kind of romantic. If he were a girl his heart would race madly.

    “I went to all the places named Noir and nobody knew you”

    “I work at Noir, the newspaper in Yongsan”

    “It was the first place I went” Youngjae said “The manager said there wasn't a girl with your looks working there... Although seeing how ugly you are, I guess the manager was too ashamed to admit that you work there”

    “For your information, the manager doesn’t know me... I'm the cleaning lady... I work at night when there's no one around”

    “I get it; you're so ugly nobody wants you around”

    “Here's your coffee” Daehyun shoved the cup of coffee in Youngjae’s face.

    Youngjae reached out with his hands to the cup, however, he couldn’t take it, he was still prisoner in the sleeping bag. Daehyun took a straw from the tray and put that in the cup and held it to Youngjae's mouth.

    Youngjae drank the coffee, he didn’t want to fall asleep while being stuck with her, however, the first thing he did when he sat on the couch was to fall asleep.

    Daehyun had no choice and sat down beside him. Youngjae slept deeply with his head rested on Daehyun’s lap. Everytime Daehyun pushed Youngjae away he was pulled with him and everytime he tried to get away, Youngjae was pulled with him.

    “Why did he even get into a sleeping bag? This couch is cozy. Maybe he was afraid of someone walking in and finding him sleeping instead of working” Daehyun recalled finding Youngjae in the sleeping bag under the desk hours before.

    Unexpectedly his cellphone rang; he was tired and so answered with no mood.

    “Daehyun talking” Daehyun said, annoyed, then he heard Natalie’s voice and got revitalized instantly “Natalie!!! I've been waiting your call for days” he said although he regretted it soon, since it sounded clingy “I mean, it's nice to hear you... I remember the cafeteria we used to hang out... Let's meet there?” Daehyun said happily, then he hit against reality, he couldn't go anywhere as long as he was stuck next to Youngjae.

    “Sorry, I'm at work”

    “I'll wait for you”

    Daehyun looked at the clock on the wall, it was past 9 p.m. and there was no sign of Youngjae’s friend.

    “Don’t do that, I'll stay late at work”

    “How late? I'll wait; the cafeteria is open 24hrs, after all”

    “Seriously, don't do that”

    “You don't want to be with me”

    “I want to be with you, I swear” Daehyun bit his lower lip I want to be with you so much. I haven't stopped thinking about you since the last time I saw you.

    “Skip the work”

    “I can't” Daehyun stared at Youngjae who slept profoundly on his lap “But tomorrow...”

    “Fine, I'll call you tomorrow” she said and hung up.

 

“Why God? Why you hate me so much? I want to be with her and instead I'm with him” Daehyun dropped his head hopelessly, then his face met Youngjae's, their lips were few inches apart and the tips of their noses touched.

    Daehyun moved away quickly, however, Youngjae's perfume surrounded him like a hug; it was sweet and minty, delicate and fresh.

    “I'm here!!!” a guy shouted as he broke into the office.

    He walked around calling for Youngjae, but nobody replied, then he went to the kitchen and found a girl sitting on the couch.

    “Don’t I know you?” Himchan approached her.

    “I don’t think so” Daehyun said.

    “I do!!! You’re the girl I saw at Youngjae's party” Himchan said “Where is him?”

    “Here” Daehyun pointed at the guy on his lap.

    “What's going on?” Himchan frowned.

    “Youngjae... I guess it's this guy's name, is stuck in the sleeping bag and when I tried to him; my bracelet got tangled with the zipper”

    “So you two are stuck together”

    “Yes”

    “So this is the emergency” Himchan grabbed his stomach and burst into laughter.

    “It’s not funny, please, get us unstuck”

    “First off, wake him up” Himchan said.

    “Hey, your friend’s here, wake up” Daehyun shook Youngjae’s shoulder.

    “He's a heavy sleeper” Himchan said and smacked Youngjae’s forehead hard.

    “Ouch!” Youngjae opened his eyes to find Himchan laughing at him and Daehyun's face close to his.

    He rubbed his eyes and realized he used Daehyun's legs as pillow.

    “Get off me, you” Youngjae moved away, forgetting they were stuck together. He fell out of Daehyun's lap and went straight to the floor and Daehyun soon followed him.

    “This is hilarious” Himchan laughed while Youngjae was lying face down on the floor with the girl in pink dress on top.

    “Off, off, you weigh like a cow” Youngjae elbowed her aside.

    “You think I want to be with you? We’re stuck together!” Daehyun hit him back.

    “Whose fault is it? You and your cheap bracelet!”

    “You two, calm down” Himchan grabbed Daehyun’s waist and helped him up, then he did the same with Youngjae.

    “Shut up and do something!!!” Youngjae said.

    Himchan took pliers from his pocket.

    “What kind of stylist are you that carries pliers?” Youngjae opened his eyes wide.

    “The kind that's always ready for things like this” Himchan cut the bracelet from the zipper.

    “Finally I can get out of this” Youngjae took off the sleeping bag and glared at Daehyun “You're still here?”

    “We haven't talked yet”

    “We have nothing to talk about”

    “We do, the modeling thing, it's the only reason I came here in the first place” Daehyun rubbed his wrist; it hurt after being restrained for hours.

    “That” Youngjae grabbed Himchan's arm and dragged him to the corner “Are you sure she's perfect for this job? We aren't talking about a photo shoot, it's the damn cover”

    “You said you want an average girl who readers can relate to instead of the top models who nobody can” Himchan said.

    “I said average, but she is too average! She doesn't know how to dress or put on makeup”

    “That's I'm here for, no matter how bad she dresses, I'm in charge of the clothes, makeup, hair, accessories...”

    “Ok, she is in” Youngjae said “But if next month's sales drop, you are out”

    “You heard?!” Himchan gave Daehyun a big smile “Youngjae’s hired you as Ego's new face!!!”

    “Really?” Daehyun said in surprise.

    “Bring your papers tomorrow for the contract” Youngjae said.

    “I'm Kim Himchan, head stylist for Ego” Himchan patted Daehyun's shoulders affectionately “I’ll be waiting for you in the study tomorrow at 9:00 a.m. I got a lot of designer clothes and cosmetics I want to try on you”

    “Fine, ok, 9:00 a.m.” Daehyun said.

    “My study is on the first floor”

    “First floor, tomorrow, 9:00” Daehyun said, astonished, everything happened too quickly like a dream “I better go home now and get some rest”

    “You do that, a good sleep is essential for perfect skin” Himchan pinched her cheek “Youngjae will take you home”

    “Why me?” Youngjae said.

    “Because you're a gentleman”

    “He is not” Daehyun said.

    “She's right, I'm not” Youngjae shook his head; he didn’t want to spend more time with Daehyun.

    “It's late; you can't let her go home alone”

    “You take her”

    “I've driven for hours”

    “And I've been kidnapped with her for hours”

    “I can go home on my own” Daehyun said and left the office.

    “Go with her” Himchan said and Youngjae rolled his eyes and ran after her.

    Daehyun went on the elevator and Youngjae rushed inside before the door closed.

    “I'll take you home” Youngjae said.

    “I can go by myself”

    “It's too late for...”

    “Don't worry; I'm too ugly for anybody to take advantage of”

    “You don’t know that, there are creeps with bad taste”

    “I can go alone”

    “I take you”

    “No”

    “Oh my God, you're indeed a homeless woman, that’s why you don't want me to take you home, you got none” Youngjae said.

    “I'm not a homeless woman... yet” Daehyun shook his head “My cousin’s getting married and my aunt gave me a week to move out”

    Daehyun didn’t expect Youngjae to pay attention to him, so actually he was talking to himself and feeling uneasy at the thought of passing as woman, even if he got the modeling job that came with a mansion, he was uncertain about how long he could keep the lie.