Chapter 13: All the Way Up.

She is a boy

“I live for the photography!!! It’s not a hobby!!! I’ll show that I’m the best photographer this magazine’s ever had!!!” Daehyun walked down the hallway, losing his .

    “By you mean Youngjae?” Himchan went by his side, undisturbed.

    “Yes!!! I’ll show him!!! I’ll bring Yoo Youngjae to his knees!!!”

    “Yes!!! Let’s bring Yoo Youngjae to his knees!!!” Himchan raised his fist.

    “Isn’t he your friend?”

    “He is, but your speech is very convincing”

    “Whatever” Daehyun took his wig off “I’m so happy I have this chance to work as photographer”

    “Are you sure you can handle that?” Himchan fixed Daehyun’s natural and beautiful hair with his fingers.

    “I am” Daehyun smiled “Just take me to the photo shoot's location”

    “It’s Namsan Tower”

    “Namsan Tower? I’ve never been there before”

    “Never? It’s one of the most impressive and romantic places in Seoul for lovers”

    “Well, I have no lover”

    “Why? You’re hot” Himchan ravished him with a look “We should go clubbing one of these days and get you laid”

    “Why are we talking this all of a sudden?!”

    “You’re right, work comes first and then fun” Himchan took another look at Daehyun and shook his head “Before going to Namsan, we better do something about your appearance”

    The younger wore a loose hoodie and sneakers… like always.

    “These are my clothes I’m comfortable with”

    “Hoodies are for rappers and serial killers… You’re Ego’s photographer, the most important fashion magazine on planet earth” Himchan grabbed Daehyun’s wrist “Thank God I’m your stylist and I’ve got loads of awesome clothes”

 

Chapter 13: All the Way Up.

Himchan made Daehyun put on a black suit, white shirt and designer shoes; it was the first time that the younger dressed so elegantly. Daehyun looked more like a rich boy going to French Riviera on his yacht than a photographer.

    The staff was very curious about Hyoseong’s replacement, so when Himchan arrived with Daehyun, everybody turned around thick with anticipation, they saw Daehyun, standing next to the stylist, and their jaws dropped, because Daehyun was exactly identical to Dasom.

    “I’m Himchan as you know” the blond-haired man waved his hand “I bring your boss for the day, he’s…”

    “Dasom!” someone said.

    “He’s Dasom’s twin brother” Himchan corrected him.

    “They are the same” another said.

    “Yeah, genius, twins are supposed to be the same” Himchan replied as Daehyun got scared of being caught.

    “What’s your name?” a guy asked Daehyun.

    “Uh… My name is Daehyun…” the black-haired man mumbled, he wasn’t sure that they were to fall for the twins thing straightforwardly like Youngjae did.

    “Oh, Daehyun, welcome to our family” a girl said and everyone took turns to greet him.

    Everybody fell for the lie, everybody was nice to Daehyun, except Jongup, he was cold and distant. Daehyun thought that the younger was going to be the nicer to him, since he was nice to Dasom, but Jongup hardly paid him attention, looked at him or talked to him.

 

The photo shoot finished by nightfall, the models and the crew went to a famous barbecue restaurant to celebrate while Jongup stayed behind to pack the photography equipment. Daehyun stayed too, he didn’t want to part with the cameras, he barely got to work with some of them.

    “Hey, why aren't you with the crew?” Jongup emerged from the boxes he was organizing.

    Daehyun nearly had a heart attack, but he pulled himself together and said:

    “I'm not hungry... I don't like crowds so much either”

    Jongup just stared at him.

    “I’d rather be with these babies” Daehyun put his finger on one of the cameras “It’s sad I couldn’t use every camera, in fact, I just got to use the digital camera, it’d have been cool to use the film ones, I really love to develop photos, because I never know what I’ll get, all the waiting and expecting is exciting”

    “I feel the same way” Jongup said and they locked eyes “Though I must confess, I was mad that the stupid magazine called you to take Hyoseong’s place instead of letting me to take the pics, after all, I’ve worked relentlessly”

    Daehyun thought Jongup was going to kill him, but then Jongup’s harsh expression softened and he even smiled to the older.

    “I saw the pics you took, you’re really amazing and talented, I’m glad for having worked with you”

    Unexpectedly, all the coldness and disdain that Jongup showed to Daehyun earlier changed into admiration and sympathy. This is the Jongup I know, Daehyun thought and smiled to him. Jongup just stared at him blankly.

    “Did I say something wrong?” Daehyun felt uneasy again.

    “No... It’s just... you're really like her... Dasom. I know you're twins, but I’m not talking about your physical… Your personalities are similar too, she's very into photography and so are you...”

    “Yeah, we share the same hobby” Daehyun bit his lower lip.

    “I don't think it's a hobby to you, I could see the fire in your eyes when you were taking the photos”

    “Oh my God, you get me” Daehyun had felt a connection with Jongup when they were fixing the broken roll film and right now he was feeling that connection again.

    “How about we take these cameras and go upstairs to take pictures?” Jongup handed Daehyun a camera as he took one for himself.

    “Can we?”

    “You're the boss”

    “Yes, we can” Daehyun said, excited.

 

They went all the way up to the top. Jongup admired the sky through the glass. The sky was a mixture of purple and orange, like night and day, melting together, he adjusted the camera and took some pics, then he realized Daehyun was quiet, standing on the edge and watching the view breathlessly, Jongup liked the older’s expression so much, he started to take pics.

    Daehyun snapped out of his thoughts as he felt the flashes over him, he turned and found Jongup, pointing the camera at him.

    “What are you doing?” Daehyun chuckled shyly.

    “Taking pics of you” Jongup said calmly.

    “Me?” Daehyun blushed “I’m not that interesting” Daehyun hid his face behind the camera.

    “What’s supposed to be interesting then?” Jongup approached Daehyun confidently and looked into his eyes. Jongup’s was smaller in height, but his presence was strong and Daehyun could feel it.

    “Well... I think this scenery is interesting” Daehyun pointed the skyscrapers under them “From the top, the buildings and their lights look like little stars”

    Daehyun felt stupid for his nonsense and said:

    “Sorry… I…” he gulped as Jongup came closer.

    “You’re right, this is beautiful” Jongup looked at the skyscrapers “But not as much as you”

    Beautiful? We were talking about interesting things... Not about beautiful… Did he just say I’m beautiful? What the hell’s going on?! Is Jongup hitting on me? No way, he just said I’m beautiful because he thinks Dasom’s beautiful. He’s thinking of her for sure.

    “Hey, I have tickets to JeeYoung Lee exhibition, you wanna come?” Jongup asked with a big smile.

    “Are you serious?!!!” Daehyun replied in shock “She’s one of my favorite photographers!!! Of course I want to go, but the tickets are hard to get and expensive!!! How did you?!!!”

    Daehyun chewed on his lower lip hesitantly.

    “Are you sure you want me to come with you? Don't you want to share that wonderful experience with someone else?”

    “I thought about inviting Dasom”

    Of course, Dasom, it’s always Dasom, Daehyun thought bitterly.

    “But you seem more excited for this whole photography thing and now that I know you like JeeYoung Lee, I think you'll be the best company ever”

    “Oh my God, yes, yes, it's a date” Daehyun jumped for joy “Sorry, I didn't mean a date, I...”

    “It's ok, it’s a date” Jongup said, smiling.

    Suddenly, Daehyun’s phone beeped, Jongup backed off for him to take the call.

   

“Hello?” Daehyun answered with a singsong voice. He wasn’t this happy for a long time.

    “You aren’t Dasom” the person on the other end of the line said.

    “Youngjae? Why are you calling me?” Daehyun recognized Youngjae’s honey voice.

    “Daehyun? I’m not calling you, isn’t this Dasom’s number?”

    “Oh… yeah… She’s busy… I Picked up” Hell, do I need to get another phone? One for Daehyun and one for Dasom? Daehyun thought while Youngjae talked:

    “Tomorrow she has a shoot by 9:00 a.m. at Ego's studio”

    “Yeah, I’ll tell her to go”

    “You go too, Hyoseong’s still sick, so you’ll be leading the photo shoot”

    “What?”

    “People are telling me how great a photographer you are, so tomorrow you’ll take Hyoseong’s place again and take the pictures…”

    “Dasom will be the model…”

    “Yeah, Dasom will be the model, you’ll be the photographer”     

    “It means that Dasom and I will be in the same place at the same time”

    “If you two aren’t together in the same place at the same time how the hell the photo shoot’s going to happen?” Youngjae rolled his eyes “Just be on time, bye”

    Daehyun didn’t have time to reply, Youngjae hung up on him.

    “Are you ok?” Jongup asked as Daehyun got pale and sweaty.

    “Yeah, it was Youngjae… Hyoseong’s still sick, so I’ll be the photographer for tomorrow’s shoot”

    “That’s great, we’ll work together again” the younger said “Wait, won’t Dasom be the model for tomorrow’s photo shoot?”

    “Yeah…”

    “It’s more than great, the three of us together”

    “I suddenly feel… I… have to go” Daehyun forced a smile and left rudely.

 

, , how can I be ME and take pics and be Dasom at the same time? In the same place? Daehyun thought, freaking out, as he texted Himchan.