Chapter 1: My Girl.

She is a boy

Chapter 1: My Girl.

Daehyun, 24, lost his parents at young age and went to live with his father's brother and his wife. They were an average couple that spent most of the time arguing, maybe that's why his aunt was always so bitter. They had a son, same age as Daehyun, who just finished college and now he worked 8 hours a day at the office. The Jung family lived in a two story house in Yongsan district, Daehyun’s room was next to the kitchen, he felt like Harry Potter, but without friends or magic. The only thing he had was his camera, he loved taking pictures, he loved it so much he took photography classes and dreamed of being the best photographer ever, traveling around the world, capturing every place and every person in his lens.

    “Good morning, auntie” Daehyun said as he left his bedroom with camera in hand.

    “Today are you going to look for a job?” she asked with long face as she drank her coffee.

    “I already have a job” Daehyun said with a big smile.

    “You mean that local newspaper?”

    “Yeah, I'm the manager's assistant”

    “You're already a grown up man, so get a real job instead of being a coffee boy” she said looking down on him “Why can’t you be like your cousin?”

    “Because he has to go to college first and he barely finished school” Daehyun’s cousin showed up in the kitchen and gave his mother a peck on the cheek.

    “Yeah, it's right” Daehyun lowered his head and played with the camera.

    “Sorry, I'm wrong, you did study, you went to those photo classes” his cousin laughed.

    “Oh, Daehyun, seriously, behave as a grown man” his aunt said “Taking pics isn't a real job, everybody can do that with the cellphone, even the cheap ones come with camera”

    “My office needs someone to clean, I can recommend you” his cousin said.

    “No, thanks, I already have a job” Daehyun waved his hand “In fact, I’m going, have a nice day”

    Daehyun left the house as soon as he could, every day was the same, at first he tried to explain to them how serious and important the photography was to him, but they never listened and never cared, and in the end Daehyun didn’t care either, he got a plan, he’d work hard bringing coffee and food for the newspaper staff, he’d spend time with the professional photographers they got and learn from them and someday get a promotion as photographer; it was a very good plan.

 

Youngjae, 23, his mother was a socialite and his father, one of the country’s wealthiest businessmen. Youngjae spent his childhood traveling around the world, going to the best boarding schools, having the best grades, being number one in everything he did, speaking five languages. Youngjae also got posh style, preppy attitude, handsome face, snob manners, etc. He returned to Korea months ago after getting a degree in marketing and economics in America and became Ego’s chief editor (Ego was one of the top fashion magazines of Asia, the sales had dropped lately though) However, Youngjae was confident to make the magazine number one again. One of his plans consisted in throwing a party at the Park Hyatt and inviting the hottest actors, idols, groups, models, designers, TV hosts, athletes… at the moment.

    “You think by throwing up a party will take Ego to the top again?” Mrs. Yoo asked his son.

    “No, mom, this is just the beginning” Youngjae said “The party is for everybody to know Yoo Youngjae is in the house and my visions are going to change their lifestyle. I make luxury luxurier; I make beautiful more beautiful, I make hot hotter, I make y ier, I make gold golder, I… Whatever, you know”

    Youngjae took a sip from his cup.

    “If you say so” his mother said “But remember if you fail you'll have to beg your dad for job”

    “I don’t even know what he does, always in the office, it's so boring” Youngjae said finishing his drink “See you later, I need more wine”

    Youngjae left, he hated when his mother reminded him that if he failed he had to go to work for his father. Youngjae didn’t hate his father, but he didn’t want to spend his life doing paperwork between four walls.

 

The newspaper's main photographer had to cover a party at Park Hyatt hotel and forgot to take big part of the photo equipment. Daehyun offered himself to bring the equipment to the hotel, but most of all, he wanted to watch the photographers work. He heard it was a party with all kind of superstars and celebs, and that meant there were going to be a lot of professional photographers, even foreign ones, covering it and taking photos for their magazines.

    However, once he arrived at Gangnam, he felt uneasy. Gangnam was a very expensive and high class and high fashion place; even the not so rich people wore branded clothes. Instead, Daehyun wore baggy jeans with a coffee stain on the left knee and large sweater (that looked like a short dress) with a hole in the right sleeve plus military boots, the people that passed by him, watched him with disapproval.

    Daehyun didn’t know the neighborhood well, so he had to ask plenty times about the hotel's whereabouts. He wasn't good with directions either, so he walked in circles among the skyscrapers and boutiques, then suddenly he got lost in a narrow dark alley, he was about to leave when he heard suspicious voices. He approached to the voices out of curiosity, there were two men talking. The first one was short and robust like a rock in a black suit; the second one was younger, 27, short hair, some locks covering his eyes, tanned skin… and wore tank top and showed off his muscular arms, but not in an exaggerated way, they were more like skinny and athletic. He also wore military pants and boots and pierced ears… and a gun in his belt.

    Daehyun gasped as his eyes widened and thought:

    Oh my god, they’re criminals, I bet they're doing something illegal, drugs? Guns? Daehyun stared at the gun the younger criminal carried, his common sense told him to go away before ending up dead, but it was his chance to become a real photographer, if he captured an illegal transaction on camera, he’d be promoted to main photographer from coffee boy at the news.

    Daehyun took out his camera from the backpack and started shooting flashes; the young criminal noticed the flashes and looked at him right through the eyes. Daehyun hid behind the dumpster, but the guy rushed towards him in order to grab the camera. A scared Daehyun screamed and ran as quick as he could while the man chased him.

    They left the lonely alley. Daehyun ran among the crowd as the man ran after him. Everybody was busy with their lives; nobody cared about the young man being chased down by someone with a gun. Daehyun was freaked out, but he didn’t regret taking the pics. He was sure he captured a very illegal moment, and the newspaper’s manager would be so happy to get such news for the front page he’d make him the main photographer, Daehyun was really excited, so much he dreamed of winning awards and more, he didn’t see the large crystal door before him and ran into it and fell on his .

    “Hell!!!” Daehyun held the camera dearly “Are you ok?” he asked the camera, he looked up, he was before the Park Hyatt hotel and all sudden he remembered the reason he was in Gangnam to begin with.

    He turned his head, the guy, who chased him, was getting closer and now he had the gun in his hands! Daehyun opened up his eyes, he didn't want to be murdered, he didn't even get to develop the photos yet! He got up and rushed into the hotel.

    “Sir” the doorman stopped Daehyun from going forward “You can’t be here” he said as he watched Daehyun in disapproval, he was very bad dressed.

    “I, I... I work for Noir... it's a local newspaper... The lead photographer is covering a party HERE... I came to give her the equipment she forgot” Daehyun showed the backpack to the old man.

    “Oh, please, I really need to go to the party and deliver this” Daehyun held the backpack tightly “My boss will kick me out if I don't give the lighting and stuff to the photographer!!!” Daehyun said desperately, he didn’t care for the party or his boss; he just didn’t want to be killed. He needed a place to hide, a party full of people sounded good.

    “Fine... The salon is at the west wing, you can get in by the employees’ door at the east”

    “Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you so much” Daehyun bowed and ran away while the criminal entered the hotel.

    Daehyun went to the east wing as told; the hallway that led to the party was big and full of people, although he couldn’t feel safe yet. In his way there were dozens of waiters getting the food ready and dozens of mannequins with designer clothes and fancy jewelry. Daehyun turned his head and found the criminal stepping into the corridor, his gun was in his belt again, but his face seemed like wanting to murder.

    Damn, is he a dog or what? How can he follow me so far? How can the doorman leave him come so far? He’s bad dressed as me!!! I don’t want to die. Daehyun kissed the camera and hid it among a bunch of designer shoes, and snatched a dark wig from one of the mannequins and put it on and walked with a large stride to the party’s entrance.

    The party was filled with celebs that Daehyun only saw on TV, everybody had bright and smooth skin, perfect hair, beautiful makeup, pricey clothes, pricey bags, chunky necklaces with chunky diamonds and rubies. The ceiling was full of big chandeliers that lighted up everything, the walls had exclusive embossed design, the large windows were covered with dark blue velvet, in conclusion, the event room was a modern palace with kings and queens of local and international show business.

    Daehyun wasn’t watching where he was going and ran into someone’s back and fell against the floor.

    “What's wrong with you, are you blind?!!!” Youngjae barked like crazy as turned to face the ugly girl fallen at his feet “Or maybe you're just plain dumb!!!”

    A decent man would help someone who fell to get up, Daehyun would help, but Youngjae didn't even care, he just yelled at him, he looked more dangerous than the guy with the gun.

    “Look! Dressing like this!!!” Youngjae said as he examined Daehyun's clothes “This is a party, not the street for you to beg for money!!! Is it a joke? What the hell are you?!!! You should at least comb your hair and wear makeup, what kind of girl are you that don’t even put makeup on before leaving home?!!!” Youngjae said in despise.

    “I’m not a girl” Daehyun said trying to sound manly, but his voice was high pitched, since he was tired of escaping and thirsty too. Plus, he wore a long wig and a sweater that seemed a short dress.

    “Of course you aren’t a girl, you’re a shame, a real girl would dress herself properly, you dressed yourself in the dark” Youngjae said as he kicked Daehyun’s leg who was still lying on the floor “Get up and leave before my guests see you, I don’t want people thinking I invited something like you to my party”

    “Come on; get your away from my red carpet and leave” Youngjae kicked Daehyun again “You beggar, leave, leave”

    “I think I hurt my ankle” Daehyun said.

    Youngjae rolled his eyes and grabbed a napkin and placed it on Daehyun’s arm (he wasn't going to touch that thing bare hand) and made him to get up and dragged him to the exit,

    “I don’t even know how the hotel let an ugly awful girl like you to come in!!! This place is for cool people, not homeless ugly women” Youngjae said.

    “Wait, wait, I'm not a homeless ugly woman” Daehyun said, annoyed by the horrible attitude from the stranger “And trust me, I don’t want to be here with rude people like you, but I came for work, ok? I work for Noir, it’s a local newspaper. The photographer is covering the party and forgot her equipment”

    “The party? This is not the party, this is THE PARTY!!!” Youngjae shook Daehyun toughly “I spent months on this!!! Don’t you see all these people? Don’t you see Lee Young Hee, the designer over there? Yohji Yamamoto, the famous fashion designer from Japan? I even got Jolin Tsai for this!!! And Paris Hilton is the damn DJ!!!”

    “So? Who cares?”

    “Who cares?” Youngjae felt like having a heart attack “Look!!! G-Dragon is over there!!! All BTS’s members!!! Twice!!! Hyuna!!! Kim Tae Hee!!! So Ji Sub!!! Go A Ra!!! Taeyeon!!! All the Girls’ Generation!!! Boa!!! Exo!!! Monsta X!!! Seventeen!!! Park Shin Hye!!!B.A.P!!! Suzy!!! Super Junior”

    “Are you going to cry?” Daehyun asked as Youngjae seemed like fainting out at any time.

    “DON’T TREAT MY PARTY AS A SIMPLE AND CHEAP PARTY!!!”

    “Whatever” Daehyun wasn’t very impressed “I just came to do my work, and please, stop yelling me, I'm not deaf”

    “Of course, you're just blind for wearing a grandma's dress with military boots!!!”

    “It's not a dress, it's a sweater, it’s kind of big, but it’s a sweater”

    “Just do your work and leave soon, you ugly thing don’t belong here”

    “Fine, but let me go” Daehyun said.

    Youngjae watched Daehyun, then he watched his hand still holding Daehyun's arm, the only thing making them apart was the napkin. Youngjae sighed and released Daehyun’s arm and placed the napkin on Daehyun's head and covered her ugly face and left.

    “You're mental” Daehyun said as he took away the napkin, but Youngjae wasn't there anymore “I've never met someone so arrogant, shallow, inhuman like you… Me ugly? Your head is big, it must be filled with air, you airhead!!!”

 

Youngjae went to the bathroom to wash his hands; he never saw something so unpleasant like Daehyun. He knew ugly girls, but Daehyun got the first place, her hair was long and dry and messy, her clothes were cheap and unsightly and her face was a rock, Youngjae still experienced back pain because she ran into him.

    What’s wrong with her? What kind of woman is her? Youngjae thought and splashed water against his face and eyes to forget that ugly face, but for some reason, he couldn’t, maybe because that girl was so ugly and bad dressed his mind was traumatized.

    “Hi, Youngjae-nim” Himchan said as he entered to the restroom.

    “What?” Youngjae replied to Himchan, 27, one of the best stylists of the country and head stylist for Ego.

    “Who was that beautiful girl you were with?”

    “Taeyeon”

    “Not her, the another one”

    “Suzy”

    “Not, the another”

    “Jessica”

    “Nope”

    “Soo Joo Park? Seo Jae Won? Lee Hyori? Kim Jinsol? Black Pink? Im Soo Jung?”

    “No, no, no and nooooo” Himchan said “I’m talking about that beautiful girl with black hair and sweater”

    “What beautiful girl with what black hair and what sweater?”

    “She wore military boots too”

    “You mean that disgusting looking woman?!” Youngjae stared his friend in shock “You call yourself the best stylist of Korea and dare to call that thing pretty?!”

    “I didn’t say she's pretty, I said she's beautiful though she's pretty” Himchan said and drank his wine.

    “You're blind? Drunk? Both?”

    “I'm drunk, not blind” Himchan laughed “And I’m the best, don't dare to think otherwise” the older slapped Youngjae’s head “She's really beautiful and perfect for the next cover”

    “How so?” Youngjae said.

    “You said that”

    “When?”

    “The first day you came into Ego headquarters, you said readers are sick of the same faces, most of the models have so many plastic surgeries nobody recognize them. You also said readers are ordinary and everyday women that want pretty and expensive things, but with an ordinary and everyday touch too. Then you fired all those wasted models and since then you’re looking for a fresh new face, pretty and expensive with an ordinary and everyday feeling AND YOU JUST FOUND HER!!!”

    “I’m sure that dumb girl that ran into me is ordinary and everyday, but not pretty and expensive”

   “I’m the stylist here; I say she is what you’re looking for the next cover. I confess her clothes are not good, but the magazine has all the brands and designers to its service, we can give her a new wardrobe and it’s ready to go”

    “Fine, you’re the stylist, if you like her so much, hire her, but if the next month’s sales drop you can drop too”

    “Deal” Himchan waved his hand “Now go outside and hire her”

    “Why me? You’re the one who wants her”

    “I'm the stylist, you’re the chief editor. I’m divine and I make others divine, you’re the ogre that fires and hires and do paperwork”

    “I hate paperwork, that’s why I’m not working at my father’s company”

    “Don’t be shy, you just have to talk to her, shake her hand and she’s hired!!! It’s not hard, you said you went to college, go, go” Himchan kicked Youngjae out the bathroom.

    Once again in the event hall, Youngjae looked around to find the untidy girl who ran into him, but she was already gone.