Part 2 - Yiyun & Mura

The Context of Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

YIYUN & MURA STORY PART 2

 

------------

 

 

Mura’s POV

 

 

It was on the 3rd day of us being friends when she suddenly appeared again in my garden coming down from the tree. I was sitting on the bench reading a book when she surprised me.

 

“What are you doing?~”

 

“WAAAAHHHH!!!” I was so surprised when she suddenly spoke from behind near my left ear that I started hitting her with my book. Fool!

 

“Wait! Aww! Gongjunim! Aww! Stop!!”

 

“Umm! Umm! Umm! You fool! You startled me! It was quiet a while ago, I can almost feel I was in Heaven then you will suddenly appear and play that trick on me! Umm!” I stopped hitting her when I remembered what kind of book I was reading. Hehehe…

 

I immediately hid the book behind my back and scoffed at her “What do you want?!”

 

She fixed her hat and grinned at me smiling “Do you want to come with me to the market?”

 

My ears perking up upon hearing the word MARKET.

 

I WILL DO EVERYTHING JUST TO GET OUT OF THE PALACE AND GO THERE!

 

She saw how my eyes shined brightly and smiled at me “Go, change your clothes and come back here after.. I will wait for you.”

 

“But how are we going to pass the guards? Surely they will look for me..” I pouted at her looking lost. She sat on the bench and held a thinking pose for a while then suddenly stood up like she just had the best idea ever produced in whole Goguryeo.

 

“I know what we can do, let’s go!” she took my hand and pulled me to the door of my residence. My heart suddenly beating wildly when her hand took mine, the sudden closeness of our skin making me feel warm inside.

 

-------

 

I informed Jinyoung about our little adventure and she was so against the thought of me and the Gongzhu going out of the Palace without guards. But because of my stubbornness she bowed down and agreed, helping me wear the commoner clothes that I use when Father and I goes out.

 

The Gongzhu helped me climb the tree and it was so hard! I slid a number of times and even almost fell down when I reached the branch, if not for the Gongzhu holding my waist I will be lying on the ground with broken bones.

 

Together we crossed the wall and went down to a tree, her Chief of Guards Hyunjong waiting to help us get down. I am just thankful we have a guard because I know Jinyoung will really be worried.

 

“Where would you like to go Gongju mama?” she asked me as we walk side by side with the commoners busy about their everyday lives. I see some children playing, Mothers busy buying things for their house, Gisaengs admiring the hair trinkets and medallions being sold by a merchant, merchants barking how good their merchandise is. I love it, the noise of the market. It makes me feel that I am normal like them and not secluded inside the Palace.

 

 

I roamed my eyes around the place excited to find something valuable. My eyes caught sight of a store that sells beautiful cloths coming from Tang. I promised myself back then that I will buy a satin cloth from them when Father and I comes back.

 

“Gongzhu.. let us go to that cloth store, I need to buy the satin I have always been thinking to buy.”

 

“Then let us go!” she lead the way as I follow behind her and reached the store. The merchant who owns the store recognized me and was very happy to see me again. I told him I want to buy the satin I saw before and he immediately produced it from inside. I was going to reach for my purse when the Gongzhu suddenly spoke to the merchant.

 

“Please accept the payment..” I look up and saw that she already dropped a few coins on the hands of the merchant.

 

“Why did you pay it? I brought some coins with me… let me pay you.”

 

“There is no need to pay me Mura… remember I told you before, I will make it up to you.” she gave me her beautiful smile and once again I felt the wild beating of my heart.

 

Why am I feeling this way?

 

“If t-that is what you want Y-yiyun…” saying her name brings warmth in my heart and I do not know why.  Maybe because her name is warm same as her heart... 

 

She took the pack of cloth and lead the way again, the two of us just strolling leisurely. She was pointing at some things asking me what it is since she still does not know a lot of things here in Goguryeo.

 

“Oh, look! Let us go there!” she took my hand and together we walk to the part of the market where a spread of hair trinkets are displayed for sale. I never knew she likes this kind of accessories…

 

Her eyes were shining looking at the trinkets, I admit all of them are really beautiful! There is even a jade comb and some colorful pouches.

 

“My Lord, why don’t you buy something for your wife?” I felt heat creeping on my cheeks when I heard what the merchant said. Yiyun was scratching her head while looking at him, her cheeks red too. Do we have to say that we are not--

 

“Please accept my payment…” she bought it!?

 

The merchant gave the jade comb to her and she placed it inside her clothes, my heart suddenly feeling an ache. Why do I feel like this? Am I expecting that much? Surely, she liked the comb since she’s also a female even though she dresses like a male.

 

We continued our walk around the market and stopped to watch the troop of performers doing Jultagi or a person walking on top of the rope, perform a play, and play instruments. It was a happy atmosphere, this is something I have missed. If Father is not busy with the affairs of the land, maybe we can still go out of the Palace like this and do what we love doing.

 

I suddenly felt sad just thinking about Father… Jinyoung said the rumors are circulating that Father and his most trusted General are having a misunderstanding, a couple of Ministers trying to put things on Father’s mind so he will turn his back on his friend.

 

After the show, I asked the Gongzhu if we can go back to the Palace because I don’t feel good. We went back to where we descended and again she helped me climb the tree to cross over the wall.

 

“Gongzhu, thank you so much for bringing me to the market place…” I bowed at her hiding the sadness in my eyes. When I looked up from my bow, she was still standing in front of me with a tender smile. A smile that again made my heart go berserk. I think I have to ask Jinyoung to call a Royal Physician… I think I have a heart ailment.

 

She took my right hand and squeezed it gently, further making my heart to beat louder than ever “Gongju mama, I do not know why you suddenly became sad while we were watching the troops but… I promise you, next time we can watch them again so you will be happy. For now… p-p-please a-a-a-ccept my g-g-ift for you Gongju mama…” she took out something inside her robe and placed it on top of my palm.

 

It was the jade comb that she bought earlier in the marketplace, its greenish marvelous color shining upon me. She closes my palm and brought my hands to my chest. I tried to find my voice but to no avail it was somehow lost somewhere inside me. “But…”

 

Our gaze met and I saw how red her face is “I bought that comb with you on my mind… do not worry, I have hundreds of that in my keeping. But that comb s-suits you…” she scratched her head looking around shyly, trying to avoid my questioning gaze “Uhhh…. m-maybe w-when I go to y-your… uhh… visit you… w-we can… c-comb each other’s h-hair… yes… hahaha…. I have to go Gongju mama my Lady in-waiting must be worried for me now goodbye!” she suddenly turned around and climbed the tree like a primate while I, still surprised and overwhelmed with what she said… stares at her retreating back.

 

She was already on top of the wall when I found my voice and called her out. “Y-y-yiyun!”

 

The Gongzhu turned her head around looking at me, her face still red. “Y-yes?”

 

“T-t-t-thank you for t-this…” and for the first time after being sad in the market… I smiled.

 

She nodded at me and answered me with a smile too, further giving my heart a hard time to beat. “You are most welcome, Gongju mama.” I nodded at her and she disappeared to the other side.

 

Clutching the comb in my hands, I can’t help but smile widely looking at it. Like it was the most precious gem of all… it is but the mere thought of hearing those words coming from the Gongzhu makes my heart warm. I do not know why…

 

But I begun to like that warmness.    

 

 

 

 

-------

 

 

 

From then on the Gongzhu and I became close, we became best of friends… companions even. We shared our own struggles in life and how we cope up with it all. Both of us being daughters by powerful men in the land and how we were raised. She has a lot of stories from all her experiences in their kingdom and I also share mine. She, being the daughter of a very powerful Emperor has some frustrations too and she loves her father dearly, but being one of the many daughters of the Emperor puts her on the bottom list of priorities. Only remembered when there is a job to be done or presence is needed.

 

Our closeness became noticeable to the people close to us, our Ladies-in-waiting.

 

I was reading a book one night when Jinyoung entered my room to help me dress up for bed. As she was combing my long hair while I read my book being lighted by a candle, she asked me a question that will make me think hard until morning.

 

“Ongju mama…”

 

“Yes?”

 

“What do you think of the Yiyun Gongzhu?”

 

“Hmmm… she is a very kindhearted but mischievous person… she makes me comfortable and I enjoy every minute I spend with her.”

 

“Are you falling for her?” I accidentally teared the page of the book I am reading due to Jinyoung’s sudden question.

 

Me… falling for her? The Gongzhu?

 

“W-what kind of question is t-that?”

 

“I just noticed that you and the Gongzhu has this precious bond going on for weeks now… you can never hide to me those kind of stares Gongju mama…” I purse my lips not knowing what to say.

 

“J-jinyoung…”

 

“Gongju mama… whatever you feel for her, you have to suppress it. Remember, she will be wed to the Crown Prince your brother. I don’t want you to get hurt…”

 

“O-of course… I won’t fall for her… besides, she’s a w-woman like us. How can I f-fall for her…” I stared at the page I was reading my mind now in a jumble because of what Jinyoung said.

 

Have I fallen to Yiyun?

 

Morning came and she came again to my residence so we can eat the morning meal together as what we have been doing ever since we became close friends. It became a habit since she said it is so lonely to eat all by yourself inside our room without an acquaintance.

 

“Ongju mama… the Gongzhu has arrived..”

 

The door opened and she entered my room with a bright smile on her face that I came to be fond of. A smile that is always in my mind even at night that I am going to sleep. Remembering what Jinyoung said, I cleared my throat and gave her a small smile that didn’t even reached my eyes as she sits in front of our table in the floor.

 

“Are you not feeling well, Mura?”

 

I shook my head and glanced at her for a while before getting my utensils and started eating. I didn’t gave her utensils like I always do, because I don’t want Jinyoung to think I have fallen in love with Yiyun. It can’t be…

 

I started eating my rice, awkwardness can be felt inside the room. When I looked at her, she was just staring at me softly that I felt my

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter