S08

Silence
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

“Why are we always starting our day with a dead body? Does the world has some problem against us?” Jinyoung complained, standing behind Jaebum as the latter inspected the body.

“We are what stands between the killer and their victims,” JB removed his gloves. “We start our day with an evidence to nap the killer.”

Jinyoung pursed his lips and stared at his partner from the corner of his eyes.

“Why, aren’t you a positive sunshine?”

Jaebum smacked the back of Jinyoung’s head and slung his arm over his shoulder. “Are you taunting me?” He pretend-wrestled his partner.

Jinyoung countered and now had JB in a headlock.

“Ya, ya. I’m your hyung.” He tapped Jinyoung on his arm.

The male let go and gave the other a childish hug, making a kissy face.

Jaebum cracked a grin.

“Come on, you’re gonna help me write a report.”

 

---

 

Yael came out of her shower, hair still dripping wet. She went to her walk-in closet and from a selection of clothes - of a similar kind - she picked a blue set.

It was a turtleneck sleeveless shirt and a pair of black jeans. She walked over to her body-length mirror and put on her undergarments.

She turned around to grab her shirt when her eyes caught sight of her back.

Wincing at the memories, she quickly lifted the cloth over her head and pulled it down to cover the scars.

Yael reaches for her jeans when she felt a pain shoot up her leg. She fell sitting on the bed as she rubbed her knee, trying to relieve the pain.

She took a deep breath and lifted her right leg into the jeans. She pulled the pants up before she could feel the second wave.

Wiping her tears, she stared at herself in the mirror. Her eyes roamed all over her face and arms. She could still picture the bruises around her eyes, cuts on her cheeks, burn marks on her arms.

Right, her arms!

Still suffering from the post-attack, she staggered towards her chair and pulled the cardigan off. Shoving her arms in, she let out a breath.

Her phone rang, shocking her. It was Moonhee.

“Hello?” She croaked.

“I can’t make it to your place. The professor wants me to send some pictures to him,” Yael could feel Moonhee shuddering in disgust. “I have to someone to help me with it. Meet you in school?”

“Hmm,” she hummed her reply and the call was cut.

Shaking her head, she wished that all men who preyed on girls could drop dead at that very moment.

All those that hit on girls no matter what they wore.

Those that little girls who were barely teenagers.

Those that thought girls were easy to control and beat them up like little punching bags.

Those men who think they were the kings of the world.

All those men who deserved death served up to their doorstep.

It was her only goal to bring justice to those girls that suffer under the hands of those men and the grey area of the law.

She was strong. She was going to do it. With Moonhee, nothing could stop her.

 

Yael felt her leg getting better. She got up and made her way out the house. While locking her door, she dialed for a cab.

She stuffed the key into her bag and went down to the lobby of her luxurious apartment. She greeted the security guard before she left the building.

Yael was waiting by the roadside when she caught a glimpse of her nightmare.

She stumbled backwards as she hid behind the pillar, her eyes not daring to leave the man standing just opposite the road, staring up at the building.

This was when she realised…

She wasn’t as strong as she thought she was.

Her resolve to move on?

Gone, when her fear took over.

 

The cab came and blocked the man’s line of sight. She quickly darted into the vehicle, shaking and ordered the driver to start driving.

She looked over her shoulder, only to find her nightmare gone. He wasn’t standing where she had last seen him.

She heaved a sigh of relief and relaxed against the seat, clutching her bag to her chest.

 

---

 

Moonhee was waiting by the gate, glancing at every passing taxi. She relaxed when she saw the number plate of the taxi Yael was in pulling over.

She could tell something was wrong with the girl when they spoke over the phone.

She jogged over to the vehicle and Yael stepped out.

“You okay? You don’t sound alright over the phone.”

The latter sighed and patted her friend’s hand.

“I’m good. Just the usual pain in the knee.” She explained. “Really.”

Moonhee was skeptical but decided not to push it. She hooked her arm around her bestie’s, “My house for sleepover tonight? We need to formulate a plan for professor.”

Yael nodded, “Okay. Ramen for dinner?”

“Call!” Moonhee grinned and they made their way to class.

 

---

 

Classes ended at 7pm that day and Moonhee was being extra sensitive to her surroundings. They were at the door of Moonhee’s modest home when she remembered she had to check for mail.

Jogging over to the mailbox, she kept her attention on Yael. She knew something was wrong. She was still guessing when she saw her twitch.

She knew what had happened.

Jogging back with her mail in hand, she turned to her friend, “Did you see him again?”

Yael realised she couldn’t hide anything from Moonhee and nodded her head.

The latter quickly unlocked the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter