S27

Silence
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Guys! Guys! Look what I’ve found!” Moonhee exclaimed as she walked quickly towards the group in the middle of the office, waving the wallet in the air.

She stopped before them, all out of breath.

Jinyoung reached for a pair of gloves in his pocket and put them on before reaching for the evidence. He carefully pulled it open, his head snapped towards Jaebum when he realised what the item was.

“It’s our newest victim’s,” he stated. “Johnny! Where is Johnny?”

He rushed off to the forensic labs, bringing some of his officers along so that they could record the new evidence. Jaebum was about to follow after his partner when he realised he had to say something to Moonhee.

He didn’t want to bother himself with telling her . She wouldn’t listen anyway. But this time, he had to. She was his consultant, and under his care. He had to keep an eye on her or he would get in trouble with Taecyeon.

JB turned to Moonhee, who was being chided at by Yael. After she was done, he called the former.

“Noh Moonhee.” He said her name with so much tension dripping in his tone. “This will be the last time I’m telling you this. You are injured. Unless you want to either be found dead, or be arrested by me, I suggest you stay still and recover before going around looking for .”

“What--”

“Don’t interrupt me,” he snarled. “What if the killer was watching you as you went snooping around looking for things without officers with you? What if he was there, looking for the same exact thing you were looking for? Were you even thinking about your own safety? What if he were to kill you earlier?”

“Why are you blaming me?” She fired back. “I know I’m reckless to do that by myself, but at least I got something back! I found another evidence!”

Jaebum wanted to raise his voice but decided against it, it wouldn’t help the situation.

“I know you want to help. I figured since you wanted to help your brother, you would stay in the team to help us so that we could assist you. But if this is the type of help you are offering, by putting yourself in danger and not acting with the team, I would suggest for you to leave.”

Moonhee gaped at his words. He knew he got her attention, so he finished his argument with, “I believe your brother wouldn’t appreciate what you are doing right now just to help him.”

He his heels and marched towards the forensic lab.

 

Moonhee stood rooted at her spot, her eyes staring blankly at nothing as Jaebum’s words ran through her head. She started shaking.

“It’s not like that…” She murmured under her breath. “It’s nothing like that…”

She her heels, ready to leave when Yael grabbed her arm. She snatched it back on reflex before looking apologetically at her friend.

“Where are you going? I’ll go with you.” She offered hurriedly.

Moonhee held her hand out to stop her, Yael noticed how she was shaking.

“It’s okay. Please. Let me be alone. I’ll be fine.”

She then walked off and out of the precinct.

 

***

 

Moonhee ended up at home again, staring at the mess of the place from the front door. She let out a breath. Making sure she locked the door behind her, she carefully knelt down to pick up the mess she had made earlier.

She was about to take a rest at the living room when her doorbell rang. She had half a mind to ignore the person but when she thought of the letters she had received, she couldn’t help but get to her feet.

“But he didn’t ring my doorbell the last couple of times…” She thought to herself.

She reached the door and the ringing stopped. She paused in her steps. The mail flap on her door lifted and a sleek black envelope fitted through.

Moonhee was confused, she inched towards the envelope and picked it up.

“He wouldn’t do this…”

Flipping it over, she felt her heart stop and tears of anger started lining in her eyes.

“I need a drink.”

She let go of the envelope, letting it flutter to the ground and stomped out of the door. She got onto her Ducati and sped off to the nearest bar.

 

***

 

“Have you heard from Moonhee?” Jinyoung asked Yael, who was sitting at his desk and typing on his laptop.

He smiled, watching how fluidly she was using his stuff.

She shook her head at his question.

“She would call me when she’s ready to. She needs space.” She looked up. “Just because your stupid partner had to go all ape on her on the one of the two only taboo topics she never wanted people to talk about.”

Jaebum walked in, Yael rolled her eyes when their gazes connected. She was about to continue with her work when her mobile rang.

“Hello?”

Jinyoung glanced up.

“What? I’ll be right there.”

She grabbed her stuff messily and ran out of the office, Jinyoung running after her. Jaebum jerked to his feet, but decided against following them.

 

“Where are you going?” Jinyoung asked.

Yael went to his car and demanded for the keys. He handed them to her wordlessly and she entered the car. She drove off just before he could close his door properly.

“Woah! What’s going on?!”

“The bartender near her place called. Hee’s drinking her weight in alcohol, that’s what’s going on!” Yael snapped.

“So? She’s just drinking!”

“She never drinks till she’s drunk, you idiot. Something’s wrong.”

 

*

 

“Bartender, get me another vodka.”

“No, I can’t. You’re drinking too much.”

Moonhee was sprawled on the countertop, head resting against her arm as she swirled her glass. She slowly sat up, eyes pinned on the male bartender.

“I want vodka. Now.”

The bartender was reaching for a bottle when Yael rushed in the doors. He sighed in relief when she approached.

“I’m closing for the night and your friend is trying to drown herself in poison.” He then pointed at the glass in Moonhee’s hand. “That’s her 15th glass for the night.”

“Right, thanks for calling me.”

He turned to continue his clean up while Yael went up to Moonhee carefully. She tapped her gently on her shoulder. She jerked up and glared at the the person who touched her.

 

“Oh, it’

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter